Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Kindness Bench for SimLit Writers - For All Games!

Comments

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Hi @chalicen I know what you mean. I am very like that with my artwork.

Your artwork is so amazing! Have you noticed that people's art, drawings, especially, always ends up looking somewhat like them? Our drawings are our self-portraits!

I have really loved your Purple Day art, and I'm excited to see more that you share! :)

Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    Lots of thoughts already said here, so I won't add too much.

@IvoryButterfly Hi! I think your WordPress looks lovely and agree with Cathy. The mix of bright tones and dark feel feels like I'm being lured in to something fantastic. I'm not very experience with WordPress myself. I set up a freebie theme and have barely changed or modified it since.

@chalicen Your caution is understanding, but I hope you will still share your writing one day. :) I've never encountered anyone cruel here, and when I've asked for (and received) critical feedback it only served to improve my writing. I imagine it feels wonderful to have lots of readers, and I definitely felt that anxiety of wanting to see my numbers climb when I started. Now I focus on something a little different: connections with my readers. I love that I have 2 or 3 really dedicated readers that I can chat with regularly and rely on for feedback, and many more than enjoy my writing in silence.

@MedleyMisty Hi! *waves ecstatically* Nothing of substance to say, I just like seeing you around. :)

@simscognito I think you are a genuine social butterfly. You always have such observant comments and I don't think I've seen you miss replying to someone when you're around.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
    chalicen wrote: »
    Ahhhh it's like it's less painful and scary to have no readers than to have people looking at my frankly terrible writing ><
    But thanks all for the advice and understanding. Maybe one day I'll work up the courage... Maybe.... Hopefully.

I read a lot of work! I'm probably following... I don't know, maybe over 100 SimLit blogs? Maybe more? I find the stories I truly love aren't necessarily the most technically perfect, or written by the most experienced writers (though some of the stories I love are superb in every category! :)<3 ).What draws me to a work is authenticity, love, honesty, sharing an individual's experience of the world, and being true. Those stories always grab me for they feel real, and I will not mind technical limitations or stylistic lapses, for I'm reading for the spirit! And if the spirit's true, the work works! :)

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Ahhhh it's like it's less painful and scary to have no readers than to have people looking at my frankly terrible writing ><
    But thanks all for the advice and understanding. Maybe one day I'll work up the courage... Maybe.... Hopefully.

I read a lot of work! I'm probably following... I don't know, maybe over 100 SimLit blogs? Maybe more? I find the stories I truly love aren't necessarily the most technically perfect, or written by the most experienced writers (though some of the stories I love are superb in every category! :)<3 ).What draws me to a work is authenticity, love, honesty, sharing an individual's experience of the world, and being true. Those stories always grab me for they feel real, and I will not mind technical limitations or stylistic lapses, for I'm reading for the spirit! And if the spirit's true, the work works! :)

i must be in the not technically perfect category. wp tells me i spell ayden wrong. and i have spelled it the way the game does since he was born. the first time.

i must be in the not technically perfect category. wp tells me i spell ayden wrong. and i have spelled it the way the game does since he was born. the first time.

That's how it's spelled! Ayden! WordPress uses the standard American English dictionary, so it marks as not correct lots of words that are; they're just not standard spelling, like the name Ayden!

• simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    Aww thanks @CathyTea and @Karilan . (I'm not blushing) I've noticed that too with a lot of good art, where the artist pours in their emotion and energy, hence the work reflects them to some extent. My mother's favourite artist is Egon Schiele and it's obvious he does exactly that, which is why people either hate his work or love it. (Although, nobody particularly likes the person). XD

I've actually almost finished your sims, @Karilan. I was waiting for the right paper to arrive, which is why it's taken me a bit longer to finish them. They should be ready either tonight or tomorrow. :)

That's how it's spelled! Ayden! WordPress uses the standard American English dictionary, so it marks as not correct lots of words that are; they're just not standard spelling, like the name Ayden!

that reminds me i forgot to finish potty training the triplets.
  • IvoryButterflyIvoryButterfly Posts: 1,199 Member
    @IvoryButterfly What do you mean you don't like your wordpress website? It looks beautiful! Did you do the artwork? I love it! :)

@simscognito and @CathyTea thank you both so much... No I did not do the artwork, sadly my talent only goes to writing not drawning or painting.
    My issue is, I just tried a test run, but everything pops up here >>> https://ivorysstories.wordpress.com, not on my other site, which I thought was my site but apparently is not!

I'm so lost and really don't understand where I've gone wrong... maybe I should just delete them entirely and restart again... might stop my brain from tying itself in knots...

Oooh! That is also a beautiful site! Your aesthetic sense is really.... wow! Just so intriguing and detailed. I love it!

So, what you will need to do is to be sure that you are at the site where you want the post to appear. (At least that's one way to do it.)

Another way I often do it is by following these steps:

1) log in

2) Go to one of my sites (I've got a bunch of WP sites! :D )

3) Click "My Sites" in the upper left.

4) Click the Write button in the upper right. A list of all my sites will appear.

5) Click the site I want the post to show up on from the list that dropped down...

And write! :)

If these instructions aren't clear or if it works differently for you, please let me know, and I'll be happy to try to be more clear! :)

@CathyTea awww, thank you. I've always loved mystical appearances as I feel they reflect who I am as a person and my writing styles.
    So ok, I've tried that and it seems that everything is connected to the https://ivorysstories.wordpress.com site... not sure how to other site came up... so... I'll repost up my trial post when I get it sorted.

Right now I've got an introverts nightmare looming, Christmas parties to go to, one is for tomorrow evening, so for the rest of today I'll be getting myself ready for these nightmares... sorry 'social events'.
    Which includes, painting my nails, face masque and hair masque and then the proverbial figuring out what to wear... why can't I just show up in tracksuit and singlet top with my curls in a mess :pensive:

As if my stomach wasn't doing backflips already from getting my writing blog sorted, now I've got to deal with 'peopleing' outside of work... never ends :(
    mbytI0Z.png
    The Universe & I have agreed to disagree with each other!
    Aww thanks @CathyTea and @Karilan . (I'm not blushing) I've noticed that too with a lot of good art, where the artist pours in their emotion and energy, hence the work reflects them to some extent. My mother's favourite artist is Egon Schiele and it's obvious he does exactly that, which is why people either hate his work or love it. (Although, nobody particularly likes the person). XD

I've actually almost finished your sims, @Karilan. I was waiting for the right paper to arrive, which is why it's taken me a bit longer to finish them. They should be ready either tonight or tomorrow. :)

No rush! I disappeared for a few days following Purple Day (I think I needed extra time to grieve and accept it) so I didn't get to see your art before. It's really lovely!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison

I thought they were about to age up.

Is it Wordpress that does that? I write on my Mac at work, but then edit on my PC at home. Wordpress often thinks I'm wrong depending on how I change things so I figured it was a Mac/PC issue!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    edited December 2017

I thought they were about to age up.

no. ihave to skill them up first then i actually have to follow lauren to work for 2 days so she can pass orientation. she and noel got excited to start their family. so i didn't get that done yet. and noel needs help learning the differnce between hungry and potty. so there toddlers.
  • MedleyMistyMedleyMisty Posts: 1,188 Member
    @Karilan Hi! *waves back* :) That's good to know - I tend to assume that people don't want me around, so it's nice of you to remind my brain that it's being silly. ;)

@chalicen *hugs* I doubt your writing is as bad as you think it is. Also from what I know of Sims peeps, they're very accepting of beginners. Also, from my observations, almost everyone who writes Sims stories is an anxious perfectionist, so you're not alone and most of us understand the struggle.
    Sometimes the darkness and I tell stories.
  • BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    @simscognito I just checked out some of your art and I wanted to say that it's amazing! I love the way you shade your pencil sketches. I suck at pencil sketches...

Thanks to all the people that have expressed more confidence on my behalf than I ever have for myself. @MedleyMisty Anxious perfectionist describes me perfectly xD I've found my crowd.

Since I can't post links anyway, I'm going to take it easy and post stuff here and there, read more works, and enjoy the kindness of everyone. This is by far the friendliest community I've ever been in, I appreciate it! When I become a member I'll consider again sharing my writing... maybe with a friend so we can clutch each other and scream every time someone visits our blogs :D
    Karilan wrote: »

No rush! I disappeared for a few days following Purple Day (I think I needed extra time to grieve and accept it) so I didn't get to see your art before. It's really lovely!

Aww, I'm sorry about that. Purple Day is a bittersweet. On the one hand it reminds us of the ones we miss, and on the other hand it celebrates the ones we had loved. <3 *hugs*

@MedleyMisty I agree, we're all perfectionists. I read my first post so many times, I'm sure my eyes were crossed by the end, and this was after I had it checked by other people. :D
    @friendsfan367 sounds very complicated. :D
    @chalicen aww thank you. Good luck with becoming a full member and yes, it's always best to take things at your own pace, don't worry too much about your writing. If the story's good, which I'm sure it will be, there'll always be an audience on the forums. :) Furthermore, you know what all artists have in common? They're crippled with self-doubt, so that's a sign you're probably an amazing writer. :wink: In fact, you know who you remind me of? J.R.R Tolkien who also didn't like sharing his work and was still editing his books after publication. XD
    @chalicen aww thank you. Good luck with becoming a full member and yes, it's always best to take things at your own pace, don't worry too much about your writing. If the story's good, which I'm sure it will be, there'll always be an audience on the forums. :) Furthermore, you know what all artists have in common? They're crippled with self-doubt, so that's a sign you're probably an amazing writer. :wink: In fact, you know who you remind me of? J.R.R Tolkien who also didn't like sharing his work and was still editing his books after publication. XD

its not compared to some things the benders made me write in other attempts. i just need to write it.

its not compared to some things the benders made me write in other attempts. i just need to write it.

I love how you said "benders made me write" :D It's like you're their servant.

i tried telling Ayden no once. he must not have liked that he threw up. even though hes the oldest both of the trips and the kids in general hes the hardest to say no too.

i tried telling Ayden no once. he must not have liked that he threw up. even though hes the oldest both of the trips and the kids in general hes the hardest to say no too.

He sounds like a charmer. :D

Oh, golly, @Karilan. You know, I really relate to this. I don't think you've read my Goofy Love, have you? It's long, and quite old by now, so I can understand not. The experience of writing and playing it was so.... heart-wrenching. It really is a grieving process, a letting-go process... and then, by about Gen 6, with the post that ushered in Purple Day, I really just surrendered to the whole making-peace-with-mortality process, which, as I was in my mid-50s when I wrote it, and my boyfriend was approaching 70, felt very appropriate. It changed me, writing that.

So, it's really understandable to need a few days after you experience that in your story and game.

Is it Wordpress that does that? I write on my Mac at work, but then edit on my PC at home. Wordpress often thinks I'm wrong depending on how I change things so I figured it was a Mac/PC issue!

WordPress has its own spell-check, and it's rather limited. I'm constantly using words (generally scientific, but sometimes other Latinates), which it doesn't like, so I'm having to dash off to google to check the spelling.

Oh! I love his work! I just never knew his name before! LOL!

You know, I can actually see some of his style in your work!

edited December 2017

Aww, I'm sorry about that. Purple Day is a bittersweet. On the one hand it reminds us of the ones we miss, and on the other hand it celebrates the ones we had loved. <3 *hugs*

@MedleyMisty I agree, we're all perfectionists. I read my first post so many times, I'm sure my eyes were crossed by the end, and this was after I had it checked by other people. :D

I am not a perfectionist! :) And proudly not. :)

I love so many things that I make so many mistakes at (like cello, piano, painting, gardening, being a friend, listening, talking, yoga, and living) that if I were a perfectionist, I think I might wither a little bit. I need the freedom to mess up and mess up big so I can live big! :D

EDIT: But I AM enough of a perfectionist that I will happily and promptly edit a post when I catch my typos! But not so much of a perfectionist that I feel too terribly badly about having made them in the first place... only a little tiny teeny bit badly and maybe quite a bit embarrassed! LOL!

She totally is. Ayden has her wrapped around his digital finger! (Ha! Get it? Digit? Finger?)