Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Kindness Bench for SimLit Writers - For All Games!

Comments

• Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    @chalicen Hi, and welcome! Here's a few ways I've seen that people keep motivation:
    1. Join a reading circle. The main thread for them is on this board. You can find ones focused on certain genres or challenges, ones that are for newer writers, or just general ones to help you find new stories to read, get some dedicated readers, and encourage each other.
    2. Make a schedule. I find that posting every week is a good schedule for me, while you'll find that others post every day, other day, or month. This isn't necessary, though-- it just makes things a bit more structured for you.
    3. Read and comment on other people's stories. I usually try and make an effort to check out the stories of people who comment on mine.
    Overall, a dedicated readership is really a good motivator, as well as keeping your story varied and interesting.
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    chalicen wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm sitting on the bench.
    I need some encouragement, I guess, on writing. I started writing SimLit not so long ago but I don't have that initial spurt some people talk about. I really like writing my story and I want to stick with it, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep myself motivated so I came here hoping to hear from people that might have some advice.
    Anything anyone has to share would be welcome, thank you

@chalicen I'd highly suggest writing at your own pace!
    I wrote a fair bit before I started a blog so that I'd have writing prepared for my uninspired days, but that only goes so far.
    As for gaining readers, making a thread here helped me, as well as promoting on other fiction sites.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Karilan wrote: »
    I need some encouragement, I guess, on writing. I started writing SimLit not so long ago but I don't have that initial spurt some people talk about. I really like writing my story and I want to stick with it, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep myself motivated so I came here hoping to hear from people that might have some advice.

I wrote a fair bit before I started a blog so that I'd have writing prepared for my uninspired days, but that only goes so far.
    As for gaining readers, making a thread here helped me, as well as promoting on other fiction sites.

isn't writing at your own pace the advice i gave you just yesterday. :)

but it does help. alot of the people kar and i know are posting daily. after i decied to go at my own pace things got easier because its not supposed to be a race its supposed to be fun.
  • For_EorzeaFor_Eorzea Posts: 380 Member

Nothing motivates me like a lore building brainstorm. Having other people's support around me has not only helped me with creativity but also made me feel like I've made friends. You could try crossovering with a friend, for a start, if you like the social aspect.
    For_Eorzea wrote: »

Nothing motivates me like a lore building brainstorm. Having other people's support around me has not only helped me with creativity but also made me feel like I've made friends. You could try crossovering with a friend, for a start, if you like the social aspect.

i can't build so i'm making sims.
    MorieTris wrote: »

@MorieTris I think there are probably more guys out there who play SimLit. There's some in the reading circles for sure. :) I got into the Sims for the real estate. Haha. No pun intended. I really did get into the Sims to design houses and lots. I found that fun. Then I discovered all the stories on the Internet surrounding the Sims. A whole new world opened up. Okay, that pun was intended. ;)

Sometimes I write without pictures, and sometimes I use the pictures to write or fill in the blanks. It depends on my mood and inspiration.

Come to think of it, I have a friend who wanted to be an architect since we were 6. Now he is! And we still talk and obviously we send each other screenshots :) He builds amazing houses and I focus on storytelling. Just the other day we were discussing how typical that is, and how we could have predicted this was going to happen back in elementary school.

That's so awesome! I, also, used to dream of being an architect, but kind of lost touch with that dream during a period of not knowing how to dream at all. It's inspiring to hear someone made it through. :smile:

isn't writing at your own pace the advice i gave you just yesterday. :)

but it does help. alot of the people kar and i know are posting daily. after i decied to go at my own pace things got easier because its not supposed to be a race its supposed to be fun.

Nailed it.
    Oh my everliving Raubahn Extremes. Did I just accidentally like my own blog post. Why am I feeling guilt over it. Self esteem, what the Finnish mincy pie with plum marmelade. To quote an NPC from Hollow Knight's Fragile Flower quest: WAI?!
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    Oh my everliving Raubahn Extremes. Did I just accidentally like my own blog post. Why am I feeling guilt over it. Self esteem, what the Finnish mincy pie with plum marmelade. To quote an NPC from Hollow Knight's Fragile Flower quest: WAI?!

^Oops! I have done this :D I do purposefully follow myself to make sure the notification emails work properly!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member

^Oops! I have done this :D I do purposefully follow myself to make sure the notification emails work properly!

@Karilan I do that too for the same reason. :D (no shame).
  • IvoryButterflyIvoryButterfly Posts: 1,199 Member
    Hello everyone,
    I'm sitting on the bench, first time here.

I'm a writer from a while back... but not that you'd know anymore as my previous blog has been wiped out, four years of work gone in the blink of a eye down the proverbial drain.

But... I'm trying to get back up on my feet, stumbling most of the time it seems of late.

I need some help, and I don't like asking... I'd rather drip a brick on my bare toes, it'd be less agonising. My 'new-ish' WordPress link is in my, now very minimal signature... I don't like it at all... but I can't seem to get it to work like I want...
    The basic skeleton of what I would like is there, but... well, is anyone any good at setting these up?
    Not being able to get it 'right' well, it's making me very hesitant to put up my latest story, which is still just on paper and...

I'll just stop there before I start babbling, I need help with getting my WordPress blog looking presentable so I can get my new stories up and running, can anyone help... please?

mbytI0Z.png
    The Universe & I have agreed to disagree with each other!
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    Hello everyone,

I'm a writer from a while back... but not that you'd know anymore as my previous blog has been wiped out, four years of work gone in the blink of a eye down the proverbial drain.

But... I'm trying to get back up on my feet, stumbling most of the time it seems of late.

I need some help, and I don't like asking... I'd rather drip a brick on my bare toes, it'd be less agonising. My 'new-ish' WordPress link is in my, now very minimal signature... I don't like it at all... but I can't seem to get it to work like I want...
    The basic skeleton of what I would like is there, but... well, is anyone any good at setting these up?
    Not being able to get it 'right' well, it's making me very hesitant to put up my latest story, which is still just on paper and...

I'll just stop there before I start babbling, I need help with getting my WordPress blog looking presentable so I can get my new stories up and running, can anyone help... please?

Hi, Butterfly! I'm really sorry to hear that you lost your old blog! That hurts, huh?

I'm pretty good with WordPress, so I'll be happy to help with what I can help with, and when I can't help with something, I'm happy to help find someone or some resource that can!

Let me also share my first impressions of your new WP blog: Wow! So mysterious and beautiful!

It looks to me like you chose a really effective theme, for the wallpaper feels eerie and mysteriously beautiful, the white space draws the attention to your gorgeous screenshots, the font feels very elegant and fantasy-like, and the featured image looks really nice in the header!

Very effective, and it makes me want to read, read, read, and lose myself on a Sunday afternoon inside your stories.

Please share specific questions you have about how to get the blog to do what you want, and I and others will jump in with suggestions!

Really, really nice work!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    @chalicen It looks like you got such great advice and encouragement today! :)

Most of the points I was thinking of have already been made.

A few additional thoughts: Writing can be rewarding without being "fun" or "exciting." Sometimes, it's a lot of work and takes a lot of discipline, and following through becomes its own reward. I can't say that I always feel excited when I write or that my fun meter always goes up (though it often does), but when I write, these itches deep inside get scratched, and that feels satisfying!

I also read a really great interview this morning with a SimLit writer conducted by the famous @RosemaryMariee : https://booomcha.com/2017/12/06/featured-author-an-interview-with-louise/

Her advice echoes what many have said here, which is: Do it your way, at the pacing and in the style that works for you.

I really recommend the interview! It's inspiring!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    Wow, thanks for the replies everyone!
    I'll definitely keep up posting at my own pace (it makes sense since I can hardly keep posting if I have nothing written xD)
    Oops that posted before I could finish writing...
    It is quite hard to keep motivated when I don't have readers, but I kinda accepted I won't have any readers when I decided not to tell anyone I'm writing. I'm too embarrassed to share what I write. My friends tell me that I lack confidence, but really I'm just being honest.
    But it was nice hearing from everyone, it's good to know I have company even if I don't have readers :)
    Thank you everyone!
    @IvoryButterfly What do you mean you don't like your wordpress website? It looks beautiful! Did you do the artwork? I love it! :)
    edited December 2017
    @IvoryButterfly What do you mean you don't like your wordpress website? It looks beautiful! Did you do the artwork? I love it! :)

@simscognito and @CathyTea thank you both so much... No I did not do the artwork, sadly my talent only goes to writing not drawning or painting.
    My issue is, I just tried a test run, but everything pops up here >>> https://ivorysstories.wordpress.com, not on my other site, which I thought was my site but apparently is not!

I'm so lost and really don't understand where I've gone wrong... maybe I should just delete them entirely and restart again... might stop my brain from tying itself in knots...
    mbytI0Z.png
    edited December 2017
    It is quite hard to keep motivated when I don't have readers, but I kinda accepted I won't have any readers when I decided not to tell anyone I'm writing. I'm too embarrassed to share what I write. My friends tell me that I lack confidence, but really I'm just being honest.
    But it was nice hearing from everyone, it's good to know I have company even if I don't have readers :)
    Thank you everyone!

Hi @chalicen I know what you mean. I am very like that with my artwork. I don't like sharing it because I'm convinced no one's going to like it. XD I think it's very scary sharing things that are personal, like your own creative writing, but it's also generally very rewarding when you do. I think it's definitely about having faith in yourself and finding the right audience. I think there are many ways you can do that. One way is by interacting with a lot of different people on many threads. Another way is by reading stories in a similar genre to yours and interacting with those authors and fans. A third way is by joining a reading circle. There are many other ways too. I have also noticed that some stories take a while to build an audience. My story, Friends of Foes, is an example of that, which is fine and is completely the norm. It is also beneficial (particularly in my case because I made many technical errors in the beginning, so I'm very glad there was no audience then):D because a slow build up of audience genuinely gives you a higher chance of gaining a loyal following. Of course, there are many exceptions to this and there are some excellent stories that gained a massive following from chapter one.

I would love to read your story if you don't mind sharing it, but I totally understand if you don't want to. It can be rather intimidating on these forums sometimes. The first time I asked to join a reading circle, I ran all the way to the reserve. I'm not even joking! :D
  • MedleyMistyMedleyMisty Posts: 1,188 Member
    Thank you everyone!

Readers will come. Comment on the forums, comment on other people's stories, be a social butterfly, and the readers will come.

I've accepted that I'm not going to have many because I don't have the energy to do the social butterfly thing anymore. But from my time doing it, here are some tips:

Find the stories that you actually sincerely like and comment on them. If the story fits your taste, chances are that if the author comes to check out your stuff they'll like your story too. Also, give good comments that show that you actually read the story and thought about it.

I'm sorry if that seems basic, it's just that I've seen so many people stop before they get really started because readers don't magically appear for them. Anyone can get a lot of readers, but it is a LOT of work and time and energy and flying around being a super social butterfly and basically making socializing on the internet your second full time job, which is part of why I don't do it anymore, but yeah. You gotta put yourself out there and work for it like a Sim with the friend of the world aspiration.
    Sometimes the darkness and I tell stories.
    Thank you everyone!

Readers will come. Comment on the forums, comment on other people's stories, be a social butterfly, and the readers will come.

I've accepted that I'm not going to have many because I don't have the energy to do the social butterfly thing anymore. But from my time doing it, here are some tips:

Find the stories that you actually sincerely like and comment on them. If the story fits your taste, chances are that if the author comes to check out your stuff they'll like your story too. Also, give good comments that show that you actually read the story and thought about it.

I'm sorry if that seems basic, it's just that I've seen so many people stop before they get really started because readers don't magically appear for them. Anyone can get a lot of readers, but it is a LOT of work and time and energy and flying around being a super social butterfly and basically making socializing on the internet your second full time job, which is part of why I don't do it anymore, but yeah. You gotta put yourself out there and work for it like a Sim with the friend of the world aspiration.

That's a great response @MedleyMisty . You're absolutely right. Being honest with yourself and being genuine on the forums is the best way to go. It's also the key way to being content with yourself and your work. And yeah, you've really got to be a social butterfly to get the mega fans, but actually you don't really want that, unless you know you can keep it up.
    Thank you everyone!

I can understand, it's scary putting yourself out there, and then your work as well... But yes as others have said I must agree, put yourself out there, post up your stories in other forums that support writers like us, get yourself known a little bit.

The first step is the scariest, after that, it turns into a nice walk.

Good luck and I'd love to read anything you've written if you'd like to share :smile:
    mbytI0Z.png
    Ahhhh it's like it's less painful and scary to have no readers than to have people looking at my frankly terrible writing ><
    But thanks all for the advice and understanding. Maybe one day I'll work up the courage... Maybe.... Hopefully.
    Thank you everyone!

I can understand, it's scary putting yourself out there, and then your work as well... But yes as others have said I must agree, put yourself out there, post up your stories in other forums that support writers like us, get yourself known a little bit.

The first step is the scariest, after that, it turns into a nice walk.

Good luck and I'd love to read anything you've written if you'd like to share :smile:

i was so so scared to put myself out there i had cathtea write my first story. well i cheated i would post mini updates . so she got confused and wrote it/
    Hello everyone,

i can sympathize. most of the time i start over its because of glitches . but once i hit the wrong button and wiped everything out.

@simscognito and @CathyTea thank you both so much... No I did not do the artwork, sadly my talent only goes to writing not drawning or painting.
    My issue is, I just tried a test run, but everything pops up here >>> https://ivorysstories.wordpress.com, not on my other site, which I thought was my site but apparently is not!

I'm so lost and really don't understand where I've gone wrong... maybe I should just delete them entirely and restart again... might stop my brain from tying itself in knots...

Oooh! That is also a beautiful site! Your aesthetic sense is really.... wow! Just so intriguing and detailed. I love it!

So, what you will need to do is to be sure that you are at the site where you want the post to appear. (At least that's one way to do it.)

Another way I often do it is by following these steps:

1) log in

2) Go to one of my sites (I've got a bunch of WP sites! :D )

3) Click "My Sites" in the upper left.

4) Click the Write button in the upper right. A list of all my sites will appear.

5) Click the site I want the post to show up on from the list that dropped down...

And write! :)

If these instructions aren't clear or if it works differently for you, please let me know, and I'll be happy to try to be more clear! :)