Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lifespan for Sims and Pets?

therealsunsetvalleytherealsunsetvalley Posts: 438 Member
Hey there,

I set normal Lifespan for Sims, but change adult stage to 28 days, which is reasonable for me, as they can complete their LTWs and have families, and 21 days were to short considering young adults are 21 days (so 3 rounds of playing) and I consider Sims switch from young adult do adult around 35 years old. I'm happy with that, it suits my game style and storyline. It looks like this:

Babies: 3 days (pregnancy and baby in one week round)
Toddlers: 7 days (one round as toddlers)
Children: 7 days (one round as children)
Teens: 14 days (two rounds as teens)
Young Adults: 21 days (three rounds as young adults)
Adults: 28 (four rounds as adults)
Elders: 17 days

But normal Lifespan for pets is way too long considering normal life in real life, so I checked medium Lifespan for pets and adjust days from there to normal lifespan of my Sims, it suits quite good , but theres but. Originally it looks like this:

Dogs
Puppy: 4 days (so it is one round)
Adult: 14 days (two rounds)
Elders: 8 days (one or two rounds)

Cats
Kitten: 4 days (one round)
Adult: 16 days (three rounds)
Elder: 10 days (one or two rounds, depends where 2 last days from 16 days adult were at start, I adjust age manually)

Horse
Foal: 3 days (one round)
Adult: 20 days (three rounds)
Elder: 10 days (two rounds)

My problem is that horse Lifespan is to short in comparison to dogs and cats. In real life dogs live up to 15-17 years, cats 18-20 years, but horses 25-30 years.

I'm looking for suggestion and inspiration from you. What's your settings for Pets Lifespan in comparision to your Sims Lifespan?

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I manually aged my sim’s cat for this reason. It didn’t make sense her newborn baby had aged into a toddler and the cat (she’d got before getting pregnant) still was a kitten ;)

I’m having this strange issue by the way. My toddler settings are set at 7 days, but when I looked my toddler still has 11 days before aging :/ This never happened in my game before (I’ve raised about 60 toddlers over the years), I hope - on a side note in this topic - somebody can shine a light on this odd issue...
    5JZ57S6.png
  • therealsunsetvalleytherealsunsetvalley Posts: 438 Member
    edited October 2017
    @JoAnne65 thanks for replay.
    Yes, with normal Lifespan settings for both Sims and Pets, cats would live like 50 years or so :wink: There's no way, I googled that sameone knew a cat that lived 25 years (!), but that was like one in a million, stray cats live 4-5 years, and home cats around 18 years.
    That's strange about toddler aging, never happen to me yet :neutral:
  • Faerie197Faerie197 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Well, the default scaling in TS3 appears to be 1 day in-game is equal to 1 year of life. Take that as you will. Of course, adding in Seasons throws things way out of wack with that time scale. With the default length of each season being 7 days, this would imply that each sim-day is roughly equal to about about half of a month. Well, actually it comes to (if my math is right) 0.4285714285714286 months elapse per sim-day. But I'll round that up to half for simplicity.

So, if you accept that a year in Sims 3 is taking place over 28 days, you would need to adjust life spans to account for that. If you accept the default of 1 simday=1 year of life, then the earth of Sims 3 takes a REALLY long time to circle the sun. Seriously, 28 years per orbit.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
    Faerie197 wrote: »
    Well, the default scaling in TS3 appears to be 1 day in-game is equal to 1 year of life. Take that as you will. Of course, adding in Seasons throws things way out of wack with that time scale. With the default length of each season being 7 days, this would imply that each sim-day is roughly equal to about about half of a month. Well, actually it comes to (if my math is right) 0.4285714285714286 months elapse per sim-day. But I'll round that up to half for simplicity.

So, if you accept that a year in Sims 3 is taking place over 28 days, you would need to adjust life spans to account for that. If you accept the default of 1 simday=1 year of life, then the earth of Sims 3 takes a REALLY long time to circle the sun. Seriously, 28 years per orbit.

Hey there @Faerie197 , thanks for your reply :smile: Well, at the moment I play 39 households in my Sunset Valley rotational, one week per each with disabled aging, and with last household I enable aging, so every Sim in 39 of them age 7 days up in my last round of playing them all. So I have 39x7 =273 Sim days for 7days (7 years in default scaling as you mentioned), which in my case gives 273/28=9,75 Season per 7 years. Not bad, expecially my numer of households still increasing. But I'm ok, whith the Seasons, while playing for example Ursine household for 7 Sim days in Winter and that doesn't bother me. You can always change Season duration to for example 7 days for each, which in my case at the moment gives 273/7=39 Seasons in 7 years, haha :smiley: so more then in real life, coz we have 4x7=28 Seasons in 7 years. Some mathematics in poetry will not hurt :wink:
  • fmingomousefmingomouse Posts: 5 New Member
    Hey, I am wondering if anyone knows if there could be a glitch that makes it so my dog won't die? It's not that I want her to die, but the lifespan for dogs in my game is 116 days (I like long lives for sims and pets, because it feels more realistic to me for some reason) but anyway, I have two sims engaged and living in a tiny studio in Twinbrook, and my dog (Roux) was an elder when my sim adopted her, and she was about 90 days old, so I figured she would pass on soon after she hit 116, but she is now 139 and still isn't dead. (In fact, she plays and runs around like a young dog.) But my sims are getting ready to be married and maybe start a family, since one has already completed his lifetime wish and the other is really close to completing hers, and I wanted to move them into a house after Roux died. I don't know what to do because I don't want to move them until she dies, or (god forbid) have a baby and cramp even more furniture and another sim into the little apartment. And I don't have the heart to give away the old gal. Will she pass on soon, or is it possible for pets to be randomly immortal?
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited December 2017
    I like turning aging off in options.As far as your sims they can age with cake.I think it stops pets from aging too has been a while since had a pet.Go in your options and disable aging.Am going to check to be sure.
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
    My problem is I don't want my dog to live forever. Sorry, I am not very good at explaining lol. But I am worried that there is a glitch that is preventing my dog from dying. I can't figure out why she is still alive 23 days after her lifespan is up.
    Ohhhhh :o

DfydFiZ.gif
    Yes, it's very strange. Everyday I assume it's going to be her last, but the old girl keeps truckin on lol
    @fmingomouse :D The immortal pet you should name it "Church" I think that was the cats name from Pet Cemetery.

DfydFiZ.gif
    @CravenLestat lmao if she does live forever, I will change her name to Church! And then I will move my sims to a new town and never look back!
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2017
    @fmingomouse - The way this works is that when a sim reaches the end of their defined lifespan (with aging on), the dice are rolled at midnight every day to determine if they will get a visit from the Grim Reaper or not later in the day. Human sims get bonuses on these dice rolls if they have completed the jogging athletic challenge and/or they have the Vegetarian trait. I don't think there are any bonuses for dogs -- having them eat gourmet pet food looks like one, but what that really does is offer a chance to age the pet sim down one sim day per serving sort of like Life Fruit and soymilk do more reliably for human sims.

There is also at least one trait or LTR for human sims that allow their pets to live longer lives.

Some sims will "win" many of these dice rolls in a row and far outlive their expected lifespan, others will "lose" a dice roll and die of old age pretty soon after the end of their expected Elder stage, most will be in between. It sounds like your dog has just been really fortunate (and energetic!) thus far.

My total lifespan for human sims in my long-running ongoing game is 242 sim days. Some make it to 245, some to over 290, before their time is really up. I think the record I've noticed not counting occults, and on a sim in a household I really wasn't paying much attention to, is about 302.

If you use mods, there are ways to preserve the expected lifespan wanted and influence or even force end of life by old age without as many of the random factors. I don't mind knowing if one of my own sims is on their last day (NRaas Overwatch tells me this if I read the daily report log) as to me that just puts them on an expected "deathbed" or means they had better have a Death Flower in their inventory if I don't want this to happen. I wouldn't want to know that my sim or their pet has precisely let's say 6 sim days to live. That would be too morbid for me, other players like the various options. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    @igazor Does the gourmet pet food really make pets live longer? If so, I guess I'll have to quit having my sim make horse granola and feeding it to her horses every day. I don't want them to live forever, and they already have a boost from her animal expert LTR. (Yeah, that's the one that lets pets live longer.)
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    @igazor Does the gourmet pet food really make pets live longer? If so, I guess I'll have to quit having my sim make horse granola and feeding it to her horses every day. I don't want them to live forever, and they already have a boost from her animal expert LTR. (Yeah, that's the one that lets pets live longer.)
    It doesn't extend their age spans in a formal way or make elders live longer or forever necessarily. But each serving has a percent chance (the chance adjustable by Retuner, I am sure) to subtract one sim day from the animal's total age so essentially they are actually living longer if on a steady diet of the stuff. This is also how littermates or any other two pet sims who are exactly the same age can diverge after a while even if they are both/all eating exactly the same things.

I feed it to most of my pets anyway, actually I guess all of them now that I think about it unless they (the humans) are extremely poverty stricken or so much strapped for time that no one can make any. I especially like being able to use icarus' Cook With Any Ingredient mod to substitute tofu (or the equivalent) for the meat, chicken, and fish so my pets can have veggie pet food. But guess that's just me. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    @igazor That's so helpful to know for my own game right now. Thank you :) I recently picked up the Cook With Any Ingredients mod and I've really been enjoying it. I didn't know it can be used with pet food.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    @igazor That's so helpful to know for my own game right now. Thank you :) I recently picked up the Cook With Any Ingredients mod and I've really been enjoying it. I didn't know it can be used with pet food.
    Flame Fruit is supposed to be an exceptionally popular ingredient for horse granola. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    I feed it to most of my pets anyway, actually I guess all of them now that I think about it unless they (the humans) are extremely poverty stricken or so much strapped for time that no one can make any. I especially like being able to use icarus' Cook With Any Ingredient mod to substitute tofu (or the equivalent) for the meat, chicken, and fish so my pets can have veggie pet food. But guess that's just me. :)

I haven't had many pets, but when I have, I've usually had them make the pet food for them, because it's cheaper than filling the pet food bowls, especially when they're growing the ingredients themselves. My current sims gardens and has grown a large supply of carrots, so I think I'll have her just stick with those for treating her horses, for now at least.

Update: Roux Milligan (my dog) finally kicked the bucket at 161 days old. She went peacefully at home surrounded by her sims.
    edited December 2017
    Update: Roux Milligan (my dog) finally kicked the bucket at 161 days old. She went peacefully at home surrounded by her sims.
    Wow. That's sad, but it sounds like she lived a very long and happy doggy life, at least since the time your sims adopted her as a pet. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Ok, I think I finnaly got it right:

Sims:

Babies: 3 days (pregnancy and baby in one week round)
    Toddlers: 7 days (one round as toddlers)
    Children: 7 days (one round as children)
    Teens: 14 days (two rounds as teens)
    Young Adults: 21 days (three rounds as young adults)
    Adults: 28 (four rounds as adults)
    Elders: 17 days

Pets:

Dogs
    Puppy: 5 days (so it is one round)
    Adult: 14 days (two rounds)
    Elders: 7 days (one or two rounds)

Cats

Kitten: 5 days (one round)
    Adult: 14 days (three rounds)
    Elder: 9 days (one or two rounds, depends where 2 last days from 14 days adult were at start, I adjust age manually)

Horse
    Foal: 5 days (one round)
    Adult: 28 days (three rounds)
    Elder: 14 days (two rounds)
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Your sim settings and mine are very close. I have babies set to 2 days or 24 months (that's as low as the setting will go), though I do usually grow them up early with a birthday cake. My toddlers get 5 days or 5 years, because that combined with the baby years makes them old enough for school.

The rest of my settings are the same as yours because I like nice weekly cut-offs and that match real life ages. K-6 grade is 7 years and 13-19 is 7 teen years!

Elders get two full weeks in my game, putting them at age 77, though because my sims are mostly vegetarians, they tend to live well beyond that! :smiley:
    @ciane Thank for your input. I didn't know that vegatarians Sims live longer until you mentioned it. Thanks! The only vegetarian in my Sunset Valley I can think of at the moment is Holly Alto. Good considering she has got Home Design Hot Spot Lifetime Wish, which takes awhile to acomplish as I have read.
  • CatersCaters Posts: 102 Member
    I have my settings for Epic lifespan and I extend each stage as much as I can to make it more realistic, at least to me(50 something days as a baby seems way more realistic than just 3)
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,404 Member
    After having guided several of @Featherbelle's and my kids through RL toddler-hood; I don't want to do 50 days; waking up at 2AM in the morning to change diapers was a pain in the heinie.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • wainscottblwainscottbl Posts: 5 New Member
    For me, I set a day as a year, so:

0 - 2 days = baby
    2-5 days = toddler
    5 - 12 days = child
    12 - 18 days = teen
    18 - 30 days = young adult
    30 - 70 days = adult
    70 - 80 days = elder [average life span of human more or less is about 80 years give or take]

The only negative I found out was that when teen time came, I wondered where prom was, but it comes on weekends, but my teen aged up during the week. I think I could have done it if I had known earlier, but it would have told me I think? I think the default settings are unrealistic. They don't add up, though I don't know what they are offhand.