Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Slow loading time

Hi,
So i have a macbook pro mid 2014 model that is only about a month old and I'm experiencing slow loading time for the sims.
Like it takes like 20 - 40 secs just to load the main menu and can take 1min plus to load the family.

I have the sims 4 at home on a desktop PC and everything loads super fast, like 20 seconds.

Do you have any suggestion that i could do to speed it up

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Move out your The Sims 4 folder from Documents > Electronic Arts to your desktop. Launch the game. Is it faster?
    apple-signature.png
  • AUWoofieAUWoofie Posts: 186 Member
    Move out your The Sims 4 folder from Documents > Electronic Arts to your desktop. Launch the game. Is it faster?

Not really....
    I should list my specs (There not the best to play the game) but i swear it used to be fast once on my mac.

2.6Ghz Core i5
    8GB Ram
    Intel Iris 1536 MB
    Make sure you're not running anything else, turn off Time Machine/Dropbox anything that's running in the background too.
    apple-signature.png
    Still no luck :'(
    Not sure then, sorry. Some users are reporting slower loading times since the March patch though.
    apple-signature.png
    So i figured out what the problem was.

By default, the game has enabled retina display resolution or something along those lines.....

I turned it off and it seem fast now
    Mitch656 wrote: »
    So i figured out what the problem was.

By default, the game has enabled retina display resolution or something along those lines.....

I turned it off and it seem fast now

Must have been graphics linked. Thanks for the update and fix :)

apple-signature.png
  • thedancingbearthedancingbear Posts: 1 New Member
    My loading screen to visit locations or load after CAS takes five minutes. It slowly progressed to this pace. I do not have CC and I have cleared appropriate cache files. What can I do to safely fix this problem? I do not want to lose my saved game. Also I have read by various players that their loading took longer after they got far in gardening? I have a full garden with my sim's inventory packed full with harvestables.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    You can store the veggies in the Fridge. That will probably speed up your game once you do that. It will take time to load the veggies into the Fridge.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • alexis117alexis117 Posts: 13 New Member
    please read this grurus down at EA/MAXIS i've installed the sims 4 pets still lags and it takes like 5 minutes to load main screen takes less time to load everything else most of my games take 2 minutes to open i only have 2 other games on my laptop please fix the lags in next patch and make it so we can play as the pet you guys did it every game don't make excuses like you always do it's getting annoying just say you guys don't wanna do it :'(
    alexis117 wrote: »
    please read this grurus down at EA/MAXIS i've installed the sims 4 pets still lags and it takes like 5 minutes to load main screen takes less time to load everything else most of my games take 2 minutes to open i only have 2 other games on my laptop please fix the lags in next patch and make it so we can play as the pet you guys did it every game don't make excuses like you always do it's getting annoying just say you guys don't wanna do it :'(

What Mac do you have? How big are your saves and how much CC/Mods do you have?

apple-signature.png
  • moriartymoriarty Posts: 3 New Member
    I'm a new member, so I can't make my own thread. I can play the game normally(create a sim, etc), but when I try to actually play my household, I just get a continuous loading screen. I have the most recent update for the game and have tried all of the recommendations I've seen on here with no solution. I'm using a 2011 Macbook Air.
    moriarty wrote: »
    I'm a new member, so I can't make my own thread. I can play the game normally(create a sim, etc), but when I try to actually play my household, I just get a continuous loading screen. I have the most recent update for the game and have tried all of the recommendations I've seen on here with no solution. I'm using a 2011 Macbook Air.

Does it still happen if you move out your Sims 4 folder from Documents > Electronic Arts and launch a new game?
    apple-signature.png
  • elram76elram76 Posts: 61 Member
    I am also having slow loading to the main menu. I always get the spinning beach ball and an error nessage that says the game is not responding and if i want to force quit. If I wait long enough it eventually loads. Now it’s getting hung up on “the sims” loading page.

I have a Retina 5K 27 inch iMac
    3.4 GHz Intel core i5
    Radeon pro 570 4gb
    elram76 wrote: »
    I am also having slow loading to the main menu. I always get the spinning beach ball and an error nessage that says the game is not responding and if i want to force quit. If I wait long enough it eventually loads. Now it’s getting hung up on “the sims” loading page.

I have a Retina 5K 27 inch iMac
    3.4 GHz Intel core i5
    Radeon pro 570 4gb

Ditto my response to Moriarty above yours :)
    apple-signature.png
    It does still occur after moving the Sims 4 folder to launch a brand new game.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    It does still occur after moving the Sims 4 folder to launch a brand new game.

Try lowering your resolution in game settings to 1080p. 5k is too high a resolution to be gaming in with your video card . The higher the resolution the better the video card you need for gaming. higher resolution is fine for streaming a movie or computer tasks but not gaming. You game should run smoother if your gaming in a lower resolution and take stress off your video card
    My game runs really smoothly once it loads. I will lower my resolution and see if that fixes the long loading issue. Thanks for the advice!
    I lowered my resolution and that did not detonate anything for the long load to main screen. It’s something I can live with but if others have suggestions I am willing to try! Thanks :)
    I lowered my resolution and that did not detonate anything for the long load to main screen. It’s something I can live with but if others have suggestions I am willing to try! Thanks :)

How long is it taking? Make sure you have Origin in-game disabled and turn of all the annoying notifications in Origin. Yous should repair the game too and also clear the cache as the last update was a biggie :)
    apple-signature.png
    It takes about a minute and a half to get to the Sims 4 loading screen from the time I hit play in Origin. In-game is disabled and notifications are off. I also just cleared the cache and repaired my game.
    It takes about a minute and a half to get to the Sims 4 loading screen from the time I hit play in Origin. In-game is disabled and notifications are off. I also just cleared the cache and repaired my game.

A minute and a half, is that all? Whilst it’s not seconds it’s really not a ridiculously long time. How large is your save file and if you use CC/Mods, how large is the Mods folder? If you move out your Sims 4 folder from Documents > Electronic Arts to the desktop how long does it then take to load?

apple-signature.png
    Ha! It feels long to me ? and long enough for my computer to say the game isn’t responding. It is significantly longer than when I played on my MacBook Pro. I currently have 4 saves all at 3.3MB. My game is completely vanilla, no mods or CC. It takes this long even when it is a brand new game (moving sims 4 folder to desktop). It is certainly not a game breaker for me. Just really looking for suggestions. Thanks for troubleshooting with me!
    edited December 2017
    Ha! It feels long to me ? and long enough for my computer to say the game isn’t responding. It is significantly longer than when I played on my MacBook Pro. I currently have 4 saves all at 3.3MB. My game is completely vanilla, no mods or CC. It takes this long even when it is a brand new game (moving sims 4 folder to desktop). It is certainly not a game breaker for me. Just really looking for suggestions. Thanks for troubleshooting with me!

:smiley: the not responding thing is weird though. How about trying in a new user account on your Mac? Maybe something you have running is interfering with it?

apple-signature.png
    So, I just had an update for my OS and that fixed it. It’s SUPER fast now. Thanks again to all how assisted with this issue! Much appreciated!