Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• FoundMarblesFoundMarbles Posts: 448 Member

@BuildnShare , we need a base game, only, challenge. To compete effectively in the BnS challenges, pretty much means you need to own all of the EPs and SPs. Not really fair to people new to Sims 4. Getting all the packs is pretty expensive!
    "Practice kindness all day to everybody and you will realize you’re already in heaven now." Jack Kerouac
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    edited December 2017
    @FoundMarbles - a great idea and one that I had been mulling over for a while, watch this space..... I disagree with you that you need all the packs to compete, there have been some amazing base game only entries recently, @masajo's latest entry for example, it's all about making the most with what you've got.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • mannannamannanna Posts: 466 Member
    @Karababy52 I don't have the bowling pack either so don't feel bad. You can still do it!! :)

@BuildnShare and everyone else, my lot keeps changing price and I can't figure out why. I have no plants but paintings.
    I had a ton of money left and couldn't even figure out how to spend it all, haha. ( great cheat ). Anyway, the gallery price is way below the 100K but when I place the lot it jumps up to be more than the allowed sum. I've tested it on numerous lots.
    Pics:
    The house price saved to gallery, $92,042
    rMHGhM5.jpg?1
    Lot price
    KYhvdR8.jpg?1
    ...and price when I place it. Now it's $102,609 all of a sudden
    ufNvUfJ.jpg?1
  • kilra0kilra0 Posts: 644 Member
    edited December 2017
    @kilra0 How did you make that little pond? I'm not to experienced building in TS4 and I'd love to know how to do that!

Hello @FidgetyAtom sorry for the late respond and thank you @FoundMarbles for answering the question. bb.showhiddenobjects is the former buydebug cheat. You will find a lot of useful and unuseful things there. The pond is an object you don't need to create anything. So that's very easy :)

Congrats to all the winners of the former challenge @xraygrl2004, @mannanna and @Ainsleyf Great work :)

@Karababy52 & @FidgetyAtom please don't give up because you think of the usual wooden retro style expecially the 60's were so crazy and colourful Maybe you will find an other inspiration if you think of art movements or graphic design at that time. Everybody knows the red-white-black diners from the 50's. They didn't only build diners that way. Or you try an unsual way and do some research on Chandigarh or Dhaka where some architects build brutal concrete buildings. I don't know if I like it, but it can be an inspiration. and hey it's the MidCentury. And in the end we all do it fun, eh? :)
  • PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member
    @mannanna It is probably the paintings. I had a bunch in my original build but it made it way over budget when placed. I removed them and it went down.
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

Pallypoo wrote: »
    @mannanna It is probably the paintings. I had a bunch in my original build but it made it way over budget when placed. I removed them and it went down.

@mannanna - paintings or plantables, make sure you harvest just before uploading, or it will increase the price of the lot.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member
    Just thought I'd share some inspiration for those who don't have any EPs and want to participate. I did this with just the base game,(except for the carpet, forgot to change it. :p )
    I think it looks Mid-cen-mod. This was done in the Mitchell Glen floor plan.
    samp.jpg
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

• abelhinha35abelhinha35 Posts: 2,303 Member
    edited December 2017
    I know that both our builds are going to be awesome, @Karababy52 and @FidgetyAtom . Many great builds were built with base game only. Thanks for the complement @Karababy52, can't wait to see both your entries. :)
    Great build @mannanna, I'm sure you will get the budget right. :)
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited December 2017
    I feel that way too, I can't compete with people here xD! Very intimidating indeed.

I'll be trying to enter, time is a problem right now though.

Good luck everyone!

I think it was mostly frustration with colors not matching, the camera bounce, dark shadows everywhere (especially the cathedral ceiling) and general anxiety over not having all the packs and a toaster laptop. lol I've calmed down now and spent literally all night working on my build. I STILL have a lot to finish; hallway, bathroom, art room and landscaping. But, I'm extremely happy with how my livingroom and almost finished kitchen turned out. The bedroom is sufficient too, I'm happy with it.

I apologize for whining. I guess I just needed to vent. lol
    mannanna wrote: »
    @Karababy52 I don't have the bowling pack either so don't feel bad. You can still do it!! :)

Thanks for the encouragement, I know I can too! :)
    kilra0 wrote: »
    @Karababy52 & @FidgetyAtom please don't give up because you think of the usual wooden retro style expecially the 60's were so crazy and colourful Maybe you will find an other inspiration if you think of art movements or graphic design at that time. Everybody knows the red-white-black diners from the 50's. They didn't only build diners that way. Or you try an unsual way and do some research on Chandigarh or Dhaka where some architects build brutal concrete buildings. I don't know if I like it, but it can be an inspiration. and hey it's the MidCentury. And in the end we all do it fun, eh? :)

I'm not giving up! Thanks for the advice though. I haven't a clue what any of that means except the 50s diner comment. I've actually made a black and red one a few months ago. I'm good now, not sure if my build is Mid Century, but it is Modern. lol We'll see what the judges think. :)

@Pallypoo Those rooms you posted are absolutely gorgeous! Great inspiration, thank you! *Hugs*
    I know that both our builds are going to be awesome, @Karababy52 and @FidgetyAtom . Many great builds were built with base game only. Thanks for the complement @Karababy52, can't wait to see both your entries. :)
    Great build @mannanna, I'm sure you will get the budget right. :)

Aww, you're welcome and thanks! I just hope I can finish it in time. I'm notorious for taking forever on a build. Everything has to be just so, you know? lol Good luck everyone and have fabulous day/night! <3
    @Pallypoo Yeah, it seems to be the paintings. But 10K!!!? I have to rethink my art choices. I can buy a lot of good stuff for that haha.
    @FoundMarbles - a great idea and one that I had been mulling over for a while, watch this space..... I disagree with you that you need all the packs to compete, there have been some amazing base game only entries recently, @masajo's latest entry for example, it's all about making the most with what you've got.

True! But I was reading further back on the thread and some were bemoaning that so many of the builds had so much more to work with so I thought I would address the issue to you. It might give them a bit more confidence in competition. Cheers!
    "Practice kindness all day to everybody and you will realize you’re already in heaven now." Jack Kerouac
  • FidgetyAtomFidgetyAtom Posts: 128 Member
    @kilra0 and @FoundMarbles Thank you so much for the help! I always forget about that cheat actually, thanks for the reminder! lol Better write all these down before I get to my build.

Thank you for the encouragement @abelhinha35 ! I hope so.

Think I'll get to work on it right now. :smiley:
    Money can't buy you happiness
    but it can buy The Sims
    which is pretty much
    the same thing
  • Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    Well, I've had a creative block on the Mitchell Glenn, I just can't get it how I envision it, so I'm working on a new build....
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
  • ChaosSimmer86ChaosSimmer86 Posts: 65 Member
    Hey everybody! I'm pretty new to the forum and challenges in general but I would really love to participate in this one! I already made Hope and a floorplan for her new home and now I was wondering if I can post for all three challenges? If not I will probably just post the home, but it will definitely include an art studio anyway and I just had to create Hope as inspiration as well. Thanks for hosting this awesome challenge! Chaoscheers to y'all!
    Welcome to BuildnShare @ChaosSimmer86, of course, you can enter all three challenges, just make sure you post each entry in a different post. We look forward to seeing what you created for our little challenge.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    Well, I've had a creative block on the Mitchell Glenn, I just can't get it how I envision it, so I'm working on a new build....

I would not try Dallas! I am trying all of them but only entered the one. With Dallas I'm something like 4000 over budget and not a single painting or art on the walls! ALL of the landscaping is debug! The Dallas is a really tough go on this budget. Every single thing must be the cheapest possible. Just a warning on attempting that one.
  • ChaosSimmer86ChaosSimmer86 Posts: 65 Member
    Thank you so much for your quick answer @BuildnShare !! That's awesome, I'll try to do all three then. I really hope I will get the house done in time. Right now the roof is really giving me trouble (also doing the Mitchell Glenn). But I'm all done with the layout and really looking forward to doing the inside. I tried to stick to the exact floorplan of the original and I'm really exited to furnish it, because I've never done any layouts like that. Should be lots of fun. ... ... That roof though... :)
    Glad you're having fun @ChaosSimmer86!! Yes, that roof is certainly causing some frowny faces!!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • NinnsterNinnster Posts: 1,215 Member
    BUILD OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #83: A Townie Home
    FORUM ID: Laebeth
    ORIGIN ID: Ninnster
    LEVEL: Established
    LOT: Greenberg Drive
    LOT COST: 3,000,-
    LOT NAME: Brook Bungalow, Willow Creek
    BUILD COST: 96,841,-
    TOTAL COST: 99,841,-
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Here
    ENTRY DETAILS: I chose the Mitchell Glenn as my house plan. Plan can be found here.

I tried to keep as true to the plan as possible, and not just having the layout correct, but the dimensions too. It's not perfect, but it's what I got!

I decided to add a pool area and added some hedges to provide some privacy. Hope can also enjoy eating or lounging outside on the back patio. For the interior I tried to go for a more crisp Scandinavian style. I have kept fairly true to the plan for the interior, including the laundry room. I did however make one of the bedrooms into a study, as I felt Hope as a loner would benefit more from that than having 3 bedrooms. As for the garage I tried to create it as a crafts room, but still have it look like a garage that can still be used (if she cleans up that is). The small cabinet on the wall by the door is meant to be an electrical cabinet (that's often in garages right?). The garage has all of Hope's painting equipment, but also a work bench for her to be doing repairs and such.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None, CC free
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:

H9NmxFR.png
    kWcm8KO.png
    OriginID: Ninnster

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

"Creativity is intelligence having fun"
  • NinnsterNinnster Posts: 1,215 Member
    SIM ENTRY FORM
    FORUM ID: Laebeth
    ORIGIN ID: Ninnster
    LEVEL: Established (Not sure if I should go with the same as build here? or if Sim is separate?)
    HOUSEHOLD: Pea in a Potts
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Here
    ENTRY DETAILS: I've never done the Sim challenge, so not sure if there are any requirements to the slideshow for this?

I try to create a story when making Sims, it helps me to have a direction. For Hope I molded it around the few things we already knew about her.

In my story, Hope lost her mother at a young age. She was never able to accept the loss, and carrying the resentment gave her a mean streak, and she started keeping to herself becoming a loner. In her solitude she often finds peace in her creative outlets, such as writing and painting.

Because of what happened to her mother, Hope always wanted to build a home to honor her and all the good times she remembers growing up. She even started preferring to dress in 50's style clothing, feeling it bringing her closer to her mother's memories. Therefore I tried to keep to this theme when creating Hope, which means some odd choices particularly for her gym outfit.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None, CC free
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:

BKnD9R2.png?1
    OriginID: Ninnster

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

"Creativity is intelligence having fun"
  • RangerlucyRangerlucy Posts: 36 Member
    FORUM ID: Rangerlucy
    ORIGIN ID: rangerlucy
    LEVEL: Starting Out
    LOT: A New Start
    LOT COST: 2000
    LOT NAME: Garden Essence
    BUILD COST: 84,693
    TOTAL COST: 86,693
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://imgur.com/a/KwXW5
    ENTRY DETAILS: I chose the Dallas floor plan
    I tried to keep it as close to the floor plan as possible, while offering a large variety of creative activities for hope to enjoy. Hope's dislike of people means she is unlikely encourage guests leading to small seating areas and a guest room overrun by musical instruments.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes please
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    Ym9ym68.png
    uNOUAvp.png
    Finished the inside, working on the landscaping and realized I'm over budget by almost 1200 simoleans. o.O It's my own fault, should've paid closer attenton. It's so hard to stop and look though when you're on a roll. lol Okay, time to make some cuts and substitutions... *sigh*

I'm loving my build at least. Hope I still love it after it's been picked apart and compromised. How's everyone else coming along? Really like the builds entered since the last time I commented. Great job and good luck everyone! :)
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    Finished the inside, working on the landscaping and realized I'm over budget by almost 1200 simoleans. o.O It's my own fault, should've paid closer attenton. It's so hard to stop and look though when you're on a roll. lol Okay, time to make some cuts and substitutions... *sigh*

Haha, that's the bad part but also what makes this challenge fun I think. I do a lot better now compared to my first builds I entered.
    Awesome entries so far, it's really fun to see the different takes on basically the same houses.

• FidgetyAtomFidgetyAtom Posts: 128 Member
    Karababy52 wrote: »

I'm loving my build at least. Hope I still love it after it's been picked apart and compromised. How's everyone else coming along? Really like the builds entered since the last time I commented. Great job and good luck everyone! :)

LOL I did the opposite, I did most the front landscaping done and realized I was blowing my money! Only had 50k left to do the inside. I am working with that so far, if I need more, I'll change some landscaping around. I started out hating this house actually, but it's really growing on me. Hard (for me) to fill in such huge empty areas though. Normally I build, small and cozy homes.

I love seeing all the entries so far. Though they make me feel pretty inadequate xD
    Money can't buy you happiness
    but it can buy The Sims
    which is pretty much
    the same thing
    mannanna wrote: »
    Haha, that's the bad part but also what makes this challenge fun I think. I do a lot better now compared to my first builds I entered. Awesome entries so far, it's really fun to see the different takes on basically the same houses.

Yes, it is fun and challenging that way. I've entered quite a few BnS challenges, you'd think I'd know better by now. I think one thing that killed my budget is the Dunland calls for a jet tub. I'm guessing (hoping) I don't actually need to include it? So after I replace that with a normal tub I should be good to go. :)
    LOL I did the opposite, I did most the front landscaping done and realized I was blowing my money! Only had 50k left to do the inside. I am working with that so far, if I need more, I'll change some landscaping around. I started out hating this house actually, but it's really growing on me. Hard (for me) to fill in such huge empty areas though. Normally I build, small and cozy homes.

I love seeing all the entries so far. Though they make me feel pretty inadequate xD

Oh yeah, I'm the same way. Normally I build small, comfy cozy builds, the Dunland is small at least so that helps. But I usually do the landscaping first and then the inside. Not this time. I spent so much time messing around with the vaulted ceiling that after I got it like I wanted it to look I added plants to the plant ledge and just continued on the inside. lol Oh well...

I'm feeling inadequate too, but as long as it keeps being fun, I'll keep building. That's what it's all about eh? Having fun! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top