Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anybody ever gotten too attached to their starter home?

I'm pretty sure the first house people build for their Sims isn't the one they continue to play in, save for building a small house on a larger lot and expanding as you go. Most of us buy a small starter home on a smaller lot, right?

I've developed an issue I've never, ever had with a starter home before - I'm way too attached to move out and into a bigger home! I really need more space, I threw a party recently and the routing was awful, and I have three small pets and those make the routing issues even worse in such a cramped home. But the little starter home I have now checks off all of what I love in a Sims house, and I think it's so gorgeous and quaint... but it's just too small! I've been pouring all of my money into it to make it as lovely as possible instead of saving up for a larger home because I just can't find or build one that suits my needs. Anybody else have gotten way too attached to their starter home?

Here's a few images of it;
d0c73f7249.jpg
6ddaaa0f14.jpg
c179b47aa4.jpg
c20575ef07.jpg
710a82e001.jpg
e16cd97bcd.png

Comments

• Options
    SimsweetieSimsweetie Posts: 562 Member
    Cute house. Your starter house is much bigger than a lot of the ones I play with though!
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    My starter houses generally start out as a 6x6 cube and are expanded depending on how many Sims are being played. By the time my Sims have enough simoleons to build a larger home...I'm so claustrophobic, my Sims are basically kicked out into a much bigger home...whether they want to or not.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited November 2017
    How big is the household your currently playing in this house?

I don't really like any lot bigger than 40x40 and I avoid having extra space if it's not going to used (keeping routing in mind). Before it was because I had an old eMachine but I still prefer to play that way even on a gaming PC. If I'm forced to move a larger lot due to household size then I start to miss the smaller lot. Recently instead of moving, I just sent all the kids to boarding school. 6 kids with only two small bedrooms besides the master. :fearful:
    Simsweetie wrote: »
    Cute house. Your starter house is much bigger than a lot of the ones I play with though!
    Agreed.. That house would be the size my sims normally live in after the starter house. Really nice house! My sims want to move in.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    JayedTadaSkierJayedTadaSkier Posts: 817 Member
    Simsweetie wrote: »

It is one of my larger starter homes, but I had 5 sims and 3 pets and needed the space, even for a starter.

Also, when I first started making the sims, I only made 4 sims and 1 pet and decided to add the rest later... so I got an extra 16k or so when I combined the families? I don't know if that's considered cheating or not. The house was EXTREMELY bare when I first made it though, and only had 4 bedrooms so two sims had to share. I recently added another bedroom so everybody could have double beds.
  • Options
    jordandjordand Posts: 262 Member
    @JayedTadaSkier, I can see why you’re attached! The house is lovely. I love the layout and finishes you showed of the interior—it looks like a house I would like to live in in real life, much less my sims :D . However, it’s definitely not what I was expecting when you described it as a quaint starter home. I’m with @SimplyJen, I feel like most of my sim families could comfortably live in the house, in case you ever care to share it, we’ll share the love of the house ;)
  • Options
    jordand wrote: »
    @JayedTadaSkier, I can see why you’re attached! The house is lovely. I love the layout and finishes you showed of the interior—it looks like a house I would like to live in in real life, much less my sims :D . However, it’s definitely not what I was expecting when you described it as a quaint starter home. I’m with @SimplyJen, I feel like most of my sim families could comfortably live in the house, in case you ever care to share it, we’ll share the love of the house ;)

Well I had a little extra money to start off with, but the thing is the house is just a tiny bit too cramped to support my 5 Sims' lifestyles. There isn't much space in the back yard and it's very cramped, and when I tried to throw a party, there were routing issues caused by the large volume of Sims in such a relatively cramped space.
  • Options
    OriginalMaraOriginalMara Posts: 1,669 Member
    Definitely!

In my current game, I had my Sim move into the Sunflower Shack in Appaloosa Plains. I expanded it slowly as funds allowed.

Awhile back I considered moving the family to a home on a larger lot (I wanted her to have a horse but there was no room on the current lot). But I had grown to used to the current house that I couldn't imagine leaving it. (I eventually just used a mod so she could keep her horse boarded elsewhere).
    Thought of just moving the house itself to a new lot... but I've grown accustomed to their location and neighbors as well.
    So they are there to stay I think!

I can't even get myself to redecorate it! Even a small portion!
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've had my Jankowskys getting too attatched to their starter home in Evermore Falls though it's on a 64x64 lot and they had to build their own house.The house is starting to get too small for them as they start to do new things so they've begun to expand the house and will continue building a workshop and work on a greenhouse attatched to the workshop.The Ivanovitch family also in Evermore Falls got a smaller starter home and purched a larger sized lot for when they need to move to a bigger home though they'll keep their starter as a second home.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2017
    I’ve always had the issue you’re describing, so my sims hardly ever move (must add I never throw parties so they don’t need room for that). Love your house, can imagine you’re having a hard time leaving it! Maybe you can move in a family that is important to your sim? That way you can still visit the place on a regular basis. And try and build a new house that’s equally great :mrgreen: Or, if you’re planning to continue with a next generation, you could move back to the starters house for a while. Make it the family’s starters house for every new heir.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited November 2017
    When I have a starter home that I really like, I either expand it, on a larger lot if necessary, or build a clone on a larger lot, only with more or larger rooms. That is the case with my current sim's starter house. It's actually an enlarged version of the Craftsman's Mansion from Moonlight Falls, with the porch enlarged and converted to a sunroom, and a full basement added for her many skill items and a recreation room, on a 64x64 lot with a large fenced garden and a stable and large fenced paddock for her horses, with race and jumping training items, and a two-stall garage. I think when she marries and has a family, and thus, outgrows the house, I'm going to build a two story version of it on another lot, rather than move her to a different house, because I really love the house, especially with the sunroom.

I like your house too, and I can see why you want to keep it.
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    My sim has been in the same house for a long, long time. I found it in Moonlight Falls and liked it because it was on a foundation but had a basement and I can never manage to put a basement in any house I build with a foundation. I have just kept on expanding it, now it's the basement plus sub basement plus four floors. Its on a 40 x 40 lot and space wise is not that huge but it's full of stuff. The stuff is why I don't like to move houses, I don't want to leave my collectibles behind.
  • Options
    megan_mariamegan_maria Posts: 645 Member
    I always get attached to my starter homes due to the fact I actually prefer playing in a small house. There's something cute and cosy about sims being in a small house. When different stairs, floors and rooms are added I'm not as attached to the house!
  • Options
    My sim has been in the same house for a long, long time. I found it in Moonlight Falls and liked it because it was on a foundation but had a basement and I can never manage to put a basement in any house I build with a foundation. I have just kept on expanding it, now it's the basement plus sub basement plus four floors. Its on a 40 x 40 lot and space wise is not that huge but it's full of stuff. The stuff is why I don't like to move houses, I don't want to leave my collectibles behind.

If you're not too attached to the house, you can put all the collectibles in your Sims' inventories and they'll carry over, or you can put them in the household inventory.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited November 2017

If you're not too attached to the house, you can put all the collectibles in your Sims' inventories and they'll carry over, or you can put them in the household inventory.
    This is what I do too. I think read a few people saying this doesn't work but it has for me (both inventory and household inventory). The only time the household inventory didn't carry over was when I split up the household and some of the members who moved out carried off with the household inventory.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Interesting enough I just stay with my starter home and rearrange it as need. Then add a second story and even a basement later down the line. I have pets turned off. I wish there was a way where your property could get bigger in time. Or you could purchase some more land for your house.
  • Options
    KathyriniaKathyrinia Posts: 15 New Member
    with a starter home that lovely, I would never want my simmies to leave either!
  • Options
    BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    Cute House @JayedTadaSkier ... I can see why you like it and want to keep it.

My Sims' starter houses are a tent, all-in-one shower, burn pit, chair, mailbox and trashcan.
    They stay with that until they earn a million Simoleons and can afford a bigger option.

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited November 2017
    I'm guilty of this. I still have fond memories of my sims' first house, the ones that started my legacy style game now six years ago. That's the living room where great grandpa as a toddler took his first steps, that's the kitchen where the Level 10 gourmet chef who went on to own several restaurants prepared his first autumn salad as a teen, that's the backyard where my family's founders got married, that's the bedroom where...well, nevermind, and the place where my original sim first became an elder old enough to tango with the Grim Reaper with death flower in hand, etc. But I was such an awful design player back then that it became a horrible looking Frankenhouse with all of the additions I slapped onto it as the household kept growing, and with not very much land to work on. I pretty much destroyed it when the entire extended family moved out and over to Riverview from Sunset Valley ages ago and assumed no one else would want to live in it anyway though the walls and floors are still there. Anyone wanna buy a boarded up shell of a house with no way into the basement, no indoor plumbing, and no usable land left to build on? It's got a good location, there's even a suburban subway station down the street... ;)

And generations later I still feel an attachment to the house most of them moved into in Riverview, my "main" household around which the entire game still revolves. Except I've expanded this one closer to what one might call properly while keeping things more in balance. Can't imagine ever abandoning it, but it's again the memories I see in every room, the children growing up, the dining room where 12 kids ranging in age from toddlers to adults with their own families come together for holiday meals, the basement rec room where the grandkids have sleepovers with their friends, not so much the design or the layout. For other households I play in rotation, it just depends. Some have legacy type homes that they and their offspring always feel perfectly natural living in, others not so much and I feel like I can place them in new homes just about anywhere. Sims who live in apartments, even those in the same apartment their entire lives, always feel a bit more flexible to me.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    THIS was my first ever big house I ever built in Sims 3...and frankly...this wasn't after "cheating" my way to fortune. My Sims lived in a 6x6 shack prior to building this home and they were MORE than happy to move out of that piece of...you know what...and move into something better

Screenshot-4.jpg

They had a veritable wilderness oasis in their yard...at 15 Summerhill Court. ~sigh~ I wish to this day that I had saved the house...but I was just starting the game and never really had gotten the hang of all the stuff with Sims 3 that I have now.

And...wow...I still pine for this home...I may try to recreate that and the lake.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    I'm guilty of this in my current Sunset Valley game. My household started in "Shotgun Style" and are still living there, although they have money enough for a larger house and one of the founders has become Leader of the Free World - she absolutely deserves a better home in a nicer part of Sunset Valley.

But I decided to just keep expanding Shotgun Style instead. The richer areas all feel so lonely, with houses far apart. I remember when I was playing a household living in 15 Summerhill Court how rare it was to see random passers by. The small-house neighbourhood is so lively, I can see the neighbours out and about all the time, and I'm enjoying that!
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Well, my starters are a whole lot smaller and more basic than that so as soon as my sim's life starts expanding it is really easy to move up to a home more accommodating. Your home actually looks to be the size of the average family home in my game, I wouldn't see a need at all to move up to a bigger home.
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member

This is normally what I do, bring all the gems and stuff into personal inventory, or sometimes family inventory but I have over the years experienced problems where all of a sudden the "hand" will not let go of the item into inventory and I cannot get items back out properly. I will also sometimes lose all the fish. I have started again with the collectibles so often I just don't move anymore.

• Options
    theFellatheFella Posts: 297 Member
    I tore my starter to the ground to fund moving house.
    MeanBrilliantArrowworm-size_restricted.gif
  • Options
    theFella wrote: »
    I tore my starter to the ground to fund moving house.

You don't have to do that, lol! That's funny. It automatically gives you funds from selling the house when you move.