The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I hate building.

I swear, I have a love-hate relationship with the Sims4.

I am moving my current family to BB. I am trying to build them their house on a lot. Its been 48 hours. I build some and get frustrated, save, close down and watch tv. I'm not talking about furnishing it ... still just building it. I can't get the angles right on how I want certain rooms. I can't do a multi-level foundation ( I have a crypt vault in the back corner of the lot for the vampire caretaker on a raised foundation like the rest of the house ).

I liked this new door ... but the trim doesn't match the trim on the windows. I wanted to use a specific tendril, but it doesn't come close to matching the column or the porch rail ... None of them even comes close.

Comments

• bonobas13bonobas13 Posts: 38 Member
    Don't give up! :)
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited November 2017
    I’m the opposite.

I usually rage quit when part of the house doesn’t look right in Sims 2/3 because it means I have to build it again, rather than just move the rooms around.

And I’m not one for matchy matchy because real life isn’t that way. You can’t copy and paste textures in real life, so it doesn’t bother me.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    I've had moments like that building too. As many improvements as TS4 has made to build mode, there are also some drawbacks (the foundation issue, the new roof shapes only working well with even-sided rooms, single doors with a two-square footprint, that one gate from GTW that has its matching door as a career advancement reward for some weird reason, the lack of rounded walls...) that get to me sometimes. It's times like this when I either need to step back and take a break, bust out a cheat code, or hunt for some CC that'll do the job.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    same.
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    I’m the opposite.

I usually rage quit when part of the house doesn’t look right in Sims 2/3 because it means I have to build it again, rather than just move the rooms around.

And I’m not one for matchy matchy because real life isn’t that way. You can’t copy and paste textures in real life, so it doesn’t bother me.

I don't consider it all that matchy matchy to have the wood on the porch be the same for the rails, columns and tendril. I don't want a dark wood rail, blue column with a green and white tendril. I would like it to be cohesive and not all mix-matched and patchwork.

My sims get to live in it ... I would like to build it as I see it.
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,096 Member
    The only time I get inspired to build is when I see a house in real life and challenge myself to duplicate it. Last month I saw James Franco's house up for sale and I thought the design was so unique. That's the only house I have in my gallery now if you wanted to look. (My name is "vajaqq" on the gallery).

I usually download other houses from the gallery and put my own personal touches on it and move stuff around.
  • fidelis_x0fidelis_x0 Posts: 74 Member
    I’m still learning how to build. I can’t say I hate it but it does get frustrating sometimes. I guess practice makes perfect.
  • frogkiss1frogkiss1 Posts: 248 Member
    this is rather a problem in my house. My wife and I play, and she hates building, but I am what she calls a sim god when it comes to building houses. She loves the houses I make. Now I hate making sims in CAS but she loves it and does wonders with it. So I build her houses and she makes me sims.
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    I won't deny that build mode in Sims 4 has it's restrictions. But I find it inspiring rather than frustrating. When something is impossible one way, I try to find another way to do something similar or change plans. It may not be perfect, or exactly as planned or intended, but you can still build really good homes if you find your way to work around the restrictions you encounter. I like the challenge.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Building is very simple, but then I use white or black stairs, railings, and posts for all my builds. I can even make houses that are complex.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Having a break is a good idea. Maybe have a longer break; when you come back to something completely refreshed it can sometimes cause a flash of inspiration.

Also trying browsing through lots on the gallery and other lots in game; that's a great way of finding inspiration.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,565 Member
    Of course you're going to be frustrated if you only want to build something that you really want and not willing to make compromises or find workarounds.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    edited November 2017
    It took me the better part of two days or three, so thank you to those who listened and offered support.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Gruffman wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    I’m the opposite.

I don't consider it all that matchy matchy to have the wood on the porch be the same for the rails, columns and tendril. I don't want a dark wood rail, blue column with a green and white tendril. I would like it to be cohesive and not all mix-matched and patchwork.

My sims get to live in it ... I would like to build it as I see it.

Eh, I think you’re over exaggerating the issue.

The Sims 4 rails, columns etc all come in matching sets, so that’s all fine.

It IS somewhat matchy matchy to have the porch flooring to be the exact colour of the rails. You wouldn’t really see that in real life.

Matchy matchy is my way of saying it would look unrealistic and not quite right in real life. For example, matching the curtains with the couch, matching the table and chairs with the benchtops.
    Matching the curtains with the bed sheets.

That’s why it doesn’t bother me. I do get bothered by a lack of foundation options. I can’t have a realistic back shed if my house is on a foundation.
    And a lack of terrain tools.

But that’s about it. Just find it interesting how we’re all different.
  • reanseihreanseih Posts: 265 Member
    I hear you. But I still love building, it’s still the only reason I play the game. In a sense, all the lack of matching items and other functions provides a challenge that I find can bring some interesting results when looking for a workaround. It puts an upper limit so I don’t go grilling myself on and on for what maybe it could’ve been too. It’s the same logic you don’t always play games on easy level, the challenge is part of the fun. But I hear you, it’s annoying. It’s frustraiting. Why do the colours not match. Why is that curtain so short / tall. Why is there missing pieces in sofa sets. Why the hell is there no terrain tool?! For the moment tho, I think the biggest problem I have is that I can’t get gardens to look right, we need moar plants! And terrain. QwQ

The new pets patch did bring some much needed tools tho, and I’m satisfied for now.
    青天白日滿地紅 Blue Sky, White Sun, and a Wholly Red Earth
    The Sims 4 Gallery
    The Sims 4 Showcase
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    I dont hate building. I feel like Im getting better. But I also dont need terrain tools. I dont want a bumpy looking yard. So someone who needs those might be more upset with sims 4 build mode.

I think sims 4 build mode is pretty nice actually.
  • AvaSims4080AvaSims4080 Posts: 810 Member
    I very rarely build, mainly for the reason I've never been good at that sort of thing, also I'm such a perfectionist. I can't even save and exit the game until I'm sure everything is the way I want it to be at that moment. The whole aspect of TS4 building is so cool and I wish I could use it to my full advantage!
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I renovate about as often as I build from scratch.

The game really lacks in complimentary colours. And that alone can make you frustrated. I don't mind if things aren't all the same style, but at least more colour options that match would make it easier to build and decorate.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • KjrockPlayerKjrockPlayer Posts: 305 Member
    I am moving my current family to BB. I am trying to build them their house on a lot. Its been 48 hours. I build some and get frustrated, save, close down and watch tv. I'm not talking about furnishing it ... still just building it. I can't get the angles right on how I want certain rooms. I can't do a multi-level foundation ( I have a crypt vault in the back corner of the lot for the vampire caretaker on a raised foundation like the rest of the house ).

I liked this new door ... but the trim doesn't match the trim on the windows. I wanted to use a specific tendril, but it doesn't come close to matching the column or the porch rail ... None of them even comes close. [/quote]

I am the same on sims 3 I used to like building a lot more than I do on the sims 4 .I do build on the sims 4 but I am never happy and end up deleting them although I have a few favorited .The trim of window's colours and door's is my only major sore point with sims 4 but I am learning to ignore it .What ever you do don't give up because they are still improving the game .Happy Simings
  • happygurlhappygurl Posts: 1,005 Member
    Yay! I found someone else who hates building!
    InstantGif_2020.12.01_18.10.gif?width=450&height=278&fit=bounds&crop=fill
  • ysa88ysa88 Posts: 260 Member
    Building is pretty much all I do. I think if you don't like it, don't do it, there is so much on the gallery! Enjoy whatever part of the game makes you happiest.
    simblr

ea id: ysa_88
  • CommanderKeenCommanderKeen Posts: 614 Member
    I loathe placing stairs, especially stairs from the basement to the first floor. Maybe there's some trick I don't know about, but for me it's impossible knowing without a lot of trial and error where to place it since the first floor is not shown and the grids are not aligned.