Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims lives to flip over?

Do you just ever want your Sims lives to flip upside down unexpectedly as I find The Sims 4 all too easy as it's easy to avoid getting fired unlike our real lives we always have something unexpected such as exam failures, family drama or unexpected pregnancies which comes to beautiful surprises etc

I would love to have that Sims 2 career chance card back where you could likely get fired or lose $5,000 to increase the difficulty or luckily get a big $100,000 bonus.

Generally I think it would be best to turn something unexpectedly in a Sims way like the alien pregnancy so the real players don't get too affected by this as its not a realism event.

As they are Sims after all, not humans - they are weird unreal creatures with silly languages.

Like those silly illness you get in the get to work EP - we could get those in our Sims so they can go to the hospitals as patience.

Comments

• LiaRose1435LiaRose1435 Posts: 720 Member
    I don't like anything unexpected in my game. That would stress me out, and I play the game to relax and escape from life.
    Am I too lost to be saved?
    Am I too lost?
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    @LiaRose1435

I can see your point from your gaming style where you want a world to control the way you wanted!

It would be great to have settings for all sort of things such as earning money easily or even set a start up bugdet for the new sims you created as sometimes £16,500 isnt enough etc!
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    I almost quit my current household because I found out via MCCC that my sim was pregnant with triplets. I later used said mod to change it to just one baby, who's in my current profile picture.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,560 Member
    edited November 2017
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    I almost quit my current household because I found out via MCCC that my sim was pregnant with triplets. I later used said mod to change it to just one baby, who's in my current profile picture.

That's one of the many things I love about MCCC.

To the OP, yes I would love more randomness in this game. Those dreaded yet fun, unexpected job-chance cards from Sims2. Sometimes you win, and sometimes your Sim loses their job altogether. It makes one a tad nervous to make a choice, yet it's that tingle of dread that gets the blood pumping just a bit, that makes it fun. I also wish the ghosts would be more like ghosts (as they were in Sims2) and not just silly, likable, even lovable entities that have crossed over. They should be able to pester, frighten and truly haunt a living Sim. These past two iterations of the Sims keep getting too soft. Where's the edge?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I like difficulty, but I don't like randomness
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    That's a mods problem tho. I have noticed multiple birth is common in Sims 3 and Sims 4. I think the Sims 2 motives is so much better - low needs while pregnant means you cannot handle another baby if you lose it due to Low motives (inteen mods)

• snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    I completely agree with the OP. I started playing this game with the Original Sims when you never knew if your Sims would die, get fired, get in trouble at school, or whatever. It was the best game I'd ever played. While Sims 4 is fun, it pales in comparison to Wil Wright's original intent. It has become mainly a children's game.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    I do like unexpectedness. Maybe it's cuz I play with the same household since the release and it gets boring when nothing much happens.

I miss my sims getting fired and stuff. Makes it more challenging to me.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • samemiesamemie Posts: 1,623 Member
    I agree, I would like more unexpectedness. I like that the sims are easier to care for generally, as in sims 2 I found it a pain stopping them starving to death (especially when pregnant) but it'd be nice if they were easy to care for but still had some random unexpected things happen a bit more. I have a bad habit of making my sims have lives that are too nice and perfect because I don't have the heart to make bad things happen to them, the game needs to intervene and make bad things happen for me! :tongue:
  • StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,448 Member
    I agree that more randomness is needed. I too started at the beginning with The Sims (1) and it was the unexpected fires, burglars, etc. that made it fun and enjoyable. I love Sims 4, but I'm selfish: I want the best of all four iterations in one game :smile:.
  • IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    Randomness and chaos is what this game needs more off! The lives in The Sims 4 is too perfect.

I miss the random npc's that would show up and make it hard for you. Sure it was a pain, but still fun. Like that freaking Tragic Clown. I was sooo happy when they added him to The Sims 4. Until I noticed it wasn't really THE Tragic Clown and it wasn't as annoying. I miss real npc's! Not just auto generated ones.

I looove The Sims 4, but it makes me sad that they sometimes seem to make such petty attempts when they add things to the game. This game could be so much more!
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    edited November 2017
    So far the most random events in my game has been alien pregnancies. Which is cool with me! Nice to suddenly have unexpected additions to the household without having to download a woohooer mod or anything.

I can't really think of any other particularly life-changing events in this game, though. Everything's just going all fine and dandy in the household, exactly as how you'd expect them to go. It's kinda nice, but also rather tame. Random deaths are kinda interesting, but also rather harsh, and I'd find myself exiting without saving if it does happen by accident, especially to a sim I really like..

Once I was playing in windowed mode, loading into a lot, browsing the internet in the meantime, and suddenly my vampire died because I didn't hear when the lot was finally loaded and suddenly the sun rose up. That was.. kind of traumatic, really. Thank god autosave wasn't a thing anymore.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • ModifienModifien Posts: 363 Member
    I would adore a game pack or something with a danger theme. Then people who want happy-happy gameplay can opt out, and the rest of us can opt in to natural disasters, bad career chance cards (onoes! the company went out of business! your sim is now unemployed), and more that I'm not creative enough to think of.

I love drama, but I tend to be too nice. I'm not good at doing it myself, but looove rolling with it when it happens. I never step in when fires happen, even if I've babied the family. Hands off key board, you're on your own, let's find out where it goes.

I once lost a sim because she glitched into one of those 2x1 rooms created when building fake pillars in your home. I could have gotten her out via build and buy, but the game gods chose her destiny.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited November 2017
    I like setbacks and having the unexpected happen in my game, but they must be RARE occurrences.
    Happening too much gets annoying fast.

That stuff should probably be tied to risky behavior.
    IF you know a choice might bring about unwanted consequences, you are more accepting of the fallout because the reward is worth the risk. This way it's more in your hands than simulation randomness.

I would love this if EA put some depth into it like taking a sim's Values, skill level, career level, traits, and emotional state into consideration while calculating the risk/reward outcome.

...and that little idea is going into my Drama and Danger Game Pack suggestion. :D
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • frogkiss1frogkiss1 Posts: 248 Member
    edited November 2017
    @Finbar659 I love it when stuff like that happens, I will move random people into my house and just let them do what every they want to do while I run my own family, and just be like oh, that guy/girl crazy aunt/uncle lol.
    [quote="CK213;c-16183871 -

I would love this if EA put some depth into it like taking a sim's Values, skill level, career level, traits, and emotional state into consideration while calculating the risk/reward outcome. [/quote]

Funny, but isn't that what we were promised when Sims 4 was first announced? It's why I've been so disappointed in this version.

• MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    That stuff should probably be tied to risky behavior.
    IF you know a choice might bring about unwanted consequences, you are more accepting of the fallout because the reward is worth the risk. This way it's more in your hands than simulation randomness.
    This is a good idea.

A Chance card that you can choose to ignore. A chance card with high rewards, or high failure. Didn't TS2 have something like that? Take the chance, and you could get promoted, or fired.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I truly miss unexpected things in my sims' lives. I think they've done really bad with the random setbacks aspect in TS4. Everything we have (school/work for example) is hardly noticeable.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    There are subtle bits of randomness like the alien abduction and chance of an alien baby, multiple births when you least expect or want it, and my least favorite bit of randomness is leaving a family to play another family in the same world then returning to the first family and learning husband and wife are romantically involved with other Sims. This isn't happening quite as often since a patch, but it is still going on. Having a career should have a few more ups and downs. Success is not easy. Chance cards would be a cool addition to the game. And some added drama makes better use of the emotions. I'm sorry EA, but my Sims are happy, happy all the time. And how exactly does one recover from a failed relationship in 48 hours? I realize we're talking about Sims here, but there should be a longer recovery time. Break ups hurt. For a long time. And why do Sims that hate each other have friendly chats after running into one another? That makes no sense. I was hoping to have a bit of drama going on between Sims who loath one another. One look at one another, spin around and walk away with their noses in the air. Or engage in a heated discussion in the middle of a festival. Something other than these friendly chats, please! We realize anything new has to fall in line with the game's rating, but surely there must be a way to put some shock and awe into the game while staying within the constraints of the current rating.

Do Sims parents react to finding their kids fooling around under blankets? I don't have teens yet. I'm still playing rotationally through 12 families with toddlers and kids. That could add a bit of drama to our households.

The Quake Zone lot trait is a bit disappointing. I was hoping for a bit of property damage, Sims running out into the streets and crying, parents comforting the toddlers and kids. Nothing. Happens. They jump out of bed then climb right back in and go back to sleep. And they get a negative moodlet for a few hours. Another wasted opportunity to create a unique experience.

Now that we have emotions in the game it's time for the developers to make them worth having. Getting an 'Angry Birds' moodlet really doesn't live up to hype about emotions. I get divebombed by birds every time I fill the feeders. My squirrel chitters at me the entire time I am filling his feeder. Are they angry? No. They're anxious for me to finish and ready to eat. Do I get upset by that? No. It's a cute interaction but hardly worth an angry moodlet in the game.

But it's TS4 and I play it and enjoy it in spite of it's shortcomings. Weather and vacation destinations are on the top of my want list for the game. I hope we get a bit more than that before the series ends. And who knows what is coming up next year. Maybe we'll see a bit more complexity.

I just got thrown a curveball. All was going well in my family until the mom invited her female friend over. The dad AUTONOMOUSLY flirted with the friend, and the mom caught him and is now very angry!
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    I just got thrown a curveball. All was going well in my family until the mom invited her female friend over. The dad AUTONOMOUSLY flirted with the friend, and the mom caught him and is now very angry!

Oops! Had that happen before.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited November 2017
    Not really. Occasionally I'll have a Sim be electrocuted and die or perish in a fire. The old me would have quit the game without saving. But this new me, this guy saves the game and keeps going. It does make things interesting.

The days of me intentionally killing my Sims have long passed.

I do enjoy a good Rags to Riches challenge every now and then though.
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Not really. Occasionally I'll have a Sim be electrocuted and die or perish in a fire. The old me would have quit the game without saving. But this new me, this guy saves the game and keeps going. It does make things interesting.

The days of me intentionally killing my Sims have long passed.

I do enjoy a good Rags to Riches challenge every now and then though.

I once had Gunther Munch accidentally electrocuted. He was married with a kid and another one on the way.

Another time, I left the game running in windowed mode and returned to find an urn and a burnt kitchen.
    I managed to save their relationship. At least, that's what I thought. I took the couple to the romance festival and the dad cheated again, with Mortimer Goth! The mom got angry all over again. I guess the game just doesn't want them to be together. I think after I eat dinner I'm going to have them divorce. It'll be my first couple divorcing in all the time I've played. :'( Wish me luck.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    I do like unexpectedness. Maybe it's cuz I play with the same household since the release and it gets boring when nothing much happens.

I miss my sims getting fired and stuff. Makes it more challenging to me.

The wishing well can add some randomness! My sim Gunner, who's a scientist, wished for a promotion at his job. After his shift the next day he got fired!!! I was upset at first but decided to roll with it and add it to the story. He's now an older guy who has to find a new means of money.