Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Kindness Bench for SimLit Writers - For All Games!

Comments

• MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    Karilan wrote: »
    Hey, I need to do a timeskip to explain why the baby turned into a toddler, but i'm unsure how to do it. Any friendly advice?

It's moments like these that make me wish for life stages!

I've done things like...

-If you write diary style, I've seen a lot of people use the "sorry I haven't written in a while" excuse
    -photo collage to show the passing of time
    -parental reflection on the kid growing up, this can be fun for toddler stage because the parent might suddenly realize how much harder it is to lift the child or carry them! :D
    -acknowledge the need for new diapers or clothes. The gap between baby and toddler doesn't have to be huge, maybe 3 or 6 months?

i agree we need preschool and preteen.

I think senior stage might be nice too. Senior usually starts at 50, elder could still be 70.

we have that they just call it elder.

Yea but it's quite a jump from adult to elder. I feel like it would make more sense to have a senior life stage where sims start to go grey.

yeah but in eas world toddlers turn in to 10 year olds.

I thought the kids were 8
    6adMCGP.gif
    I really want to go to the gym twice this week (Tomorrow and Friday-since I will be only be able to go once next week Tuesday) but I just discovered that on Friday at the time I will be there in the Field house there's going to be TWO field trips there in Court 1&2. Since I didn't go today..(I had a 10:30am Doctor's appointment. I don't know what I should do. Thursday isn't a option for me to go to the gym since I'm at New Leaf that day. The Weekend is out as well.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • GigglecakeGigglecake Posts: 114 Member
    I guess I'm feeling like I have a lot of issues right now with The Sims and boredom and a few other things.

Man, I have a lot of pictures to sort through and resize and all that for the stories I've been doing. And I just keep adding more and more because I keep playing more and more. So, I feel a little overwhelmed sometimes about that.

I feel kind of isolated from the Sims community. Like I want to be more involved and make new friends, but it's really hard to figure out how. I have a wordpress-style blog, and I have a Simblr now, too, but it's still like... I don't really know anyone?

Today, I wanted to play Sims, but as I looked at my games, I really wasn't sure which one to play. I guess maybe I'm not feeling it, after all?
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Gigglecake wrote: »
    I guess I'm feeling like I have a lot of issues right now with The Sims and boredom and a few other things.

Man, I have a lot of pictures to sort through and resize and all that for the stories I've been doing. And I just keep adding more and more because I keep playing more and more. So, I feel a little overwhelmed sometimes about that.

I feel kind of isolated from the Sims community. Like I want to be more involved and make new friends, but it's really hard to figure out how. I have a wordpress-style blog, and I have a Simblr now, too, but it's still like... I don't really know anyone?

Today, I wanted to play Sims, but as I looked at my games, I really wasn't sure which one to play. I guess maybe I'm not feeling it, after all?

Hi, @Gigglecake ! I'm guessing most everyone can identify with that at some time or another!

In TS2, I enjoyed playing so much that I had no stories at all--I didn't want anything to interrupt the game-play! In TS2, I also had so many games going on that I sometimes wouldn't know which to play. Or so many families, but I couldn't really decide on one. Sometimes, I'd just play any old one, just to see if, after half an hour, my interest would kick in.

Taking a break can also be really, really helpful!

Posting here or in The Fringe are great ways to make friends and get to know people! :)

This place is dedicated to making folks feel welcome. And at the Fringe, we have a custom where you always reply to the person who posted before you, before you make your own comment. That way, everyone gets greeted, acknowledged, and heard!

It seems it can take a while to make friends here and get to know people, but it will happen! The Lounge can sometimes get super busy, so a lot of people will post there without having anyone respond or comment back. It's a fun place, but it's noisy and fast-moving, and a bit hard to get personal attention there. The Fringe is quieter and by-design it's set up to help people get to know each other.

At any rate, I'm glad you popped in here and shared what's up for you today! And I'll enjoy hearing more as the interest waxes and wanes!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • GigglecakeGigglecake Posts: 114 Member
    @CathyTea

Hmmm... I guess I have been kind of binge-playing. Maybe I should take a break? Thanks for letting me know about the differences between the Lounge and the Fringe. :)

In TS2, I'd never even heard of legacy challenges and all that. I just played however I wanted. LOL And then, in Sims 3, I'd heard about legacy challenges, but I never actually posted mine? It was more of a 'let's see how far I can get' kind of thing. Now, I'm like... "I wanna share stuff with people!"

• friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »

Hi, @Gigglecake ! I'm guessing most everyone can identify with that at some time or another!

In TS2, I enjoyed playing so much that I had no stories at all--I didn't want anything to interrupt the game-play! In TS2, I also had so many games going on that I sometimes wouldn't know which to play. Or so many families, but I couldn't really decide on one. Sometimes, I'd just play any old one, just to see if, after half an hour, my interest would kick in.

Taking a break can also be really, really helpful!

Posting here or in The Fringe are great ways to make friends and get to know people! :)

This place is dedicated to making folks feel welcome. And at the Fringe, we have a custom where you always reply to the person who posted before you, before you make your own comment. That way, everyone gets greeted, acknowledged, and heard!

It seems it can take a while to make friends here and get to know people, but it will happen! The Lounge can sometimes get super busy, so a lot of people will post there without having anyone respond or comment back. It's a fun place, but it's noisy and fast-moving, and a bit hard to get personal attention there. The Fringe is quieter and by-design it's set up to help people get to know each other.

At any rate, I'm glad you popped in here and shared what's up for you today! And I'll enjoy hearing more as the interest waxes and wanes!

i don't know about cathtea but for me the writing came together when i found the right characters. sometimes they can be demanding sneaky buggars who like getting their own way. but sometimes following their wants makes a good story.
  • For_EorzeaFor_Eorzea Posts: 380 Member
    @CathyTea

Hmmm... I guess I have been kind of binge-playing. Maybe I should take a break? Thanks for letting me know about the differences between the Lounge and the Fringe. :)

In TS2, I'd never even heard of legacy challenges and all that. I just played however I wanted. LOL And then, in Sims 3, I'd heard about legacy challenges, but I never actually posted mine? It was more of a 'let's see how far I can get' kind of thing. Now, I'm like... "I wanna share stuff with people!"

I used to play TS2 very similarly. My main objectie was always to keep them alive, since I was very bad at the game. It could have been just the fact I was a foolish little child, though. And I never bought TS3, it wouldn't have run on the computer we had back then anyway.

If it's a friend you need, there is always me. I specialize in awkward greetings and optional telepathic hugs. When I don't faceslam my keyboard during a teenager angst attack, that is. And I completely get the feeling of wanting to share all of one's magnificent ideas - (I assume yours are magificent since you sure sound like you are) - perhaps I should go check out yours? You mentioned you have a WordPress somewhere?
  • For_EorzeaFor_Eorzea Posts: 380 Member
    @Gigglecake Foundcha <3
  • MorieTrisMorieTris Posts: 56 Member
    Hello guys, I am so happy I found this thread! I have never been much of a storyteller... No, that's a lie. I have always been a storyteller, I just always thought actually using TS as a medium for telling those stories was too much of a hassle. But then I see the amazing things other people do and I'm just like, oh man...
    If anyone has a simblr and wants a new follower, I'm here! I'm looking for blogs to follow! I know that other people seeing what you post can be a huge inspiration to keep going.
    For me I'm just feeling like I dived headfirst into the rabbit hole (TS3 pun, yo!) and I feel like if I get bogged down with the details I'll lose interest again. But there's always the feeling of "I should retake this shot", "I should find better CC for this backdrop", "I need to set up the lighting better" and such, and that while trying to re-learn/learn InDesign, Photoshop, how to make CC for things you need, comic paneling, photo composition, timing, transitions, what poses are the right choice for this shot (man those poses are a long list even if we don't take CC poses into acount!) and I just want to be the bestest ever right on the first try. Do you guys ever feel like someone should just tell you that it's okay to mess up, nobody's gonna notice? And then you feel like that wouldn't help anyway.

Oh great, I started by whining. It's so nice to read your posts and see that other people struggle with these things as well. It's hard esp if you don't have anyone IRL that's interested. So all I can say is that I love the idea of this thread and I'm sure that together we will pull through :smile:
    JMppbSi.png
    every day that passed I keep thinking that the test from BLADE RUNNER should be used on police and other people. Starting in 2005 till last June in Toronto there was a program that had police officers station in school and POCs students felt threaten by the police and have to deal with unwanted questions (ie did they/their parents get their citizenship or something like that) and last night the Toronto Distract School Board voted to have it 'disbanded' and some of the commenters on FB think its a mistake (so those are the other people who should take the test) but according to one of the 2 articles (either Toronto Star OR CBC) it says that there's been less expulsions/suspensions in the last three months (since the program had been suspended since June police didn't go into the schools in Sept) then when the program was in.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    MorieTris wrote: »
    Hello guys, I am so happy I found this thread! I have never been much of a storyteller... No, that's a lie. I have always been a storyteller, I just always thought actually using TS as a medium for telling those stories was too much of a hassle. But then I see the amazing things other people do and I'm just like, oh man...
    If anyone has a simblr and wants a new follower, I'm here! I'm looking for blogs to follow! I know that other people seeing what you post can be a huge inspiration to keep going.
    For me I'm just feeling like I dived headfirst into the rabbit hole (TS3 pun, yo!) and I feel like if I get bogged down with the details I'll lose interest again. But there's always the feeling of "I should retake this shot", "I should find better CC for this backdrop", "I need to set up the lighting better" and such, and that while trying to re-learn/learn InDesign, Photoshop, how to make CC for things you need, comic paneling, photo composition, timing, transitions, what poses are the right choice for this shot (man those poses are a long list even if we don't take CC poses into acount!) and I just want to be the bestest ever right on the first try. Do you guys ever feel like someone should just tell you that it's okay to mess up, nobody's gonna notice? And then you feel like that wouldn't help anyway.

Oh great, I started by whining. It's so nice to read your posts and see that other people struggle with these things as well. It's hard esp if you don't have anyone IRL that's interested. So all I can say is that I love the idea of this thread and I'm sure that together we will pull through :smile:

@MorieTris Hi! I enjoyed your intro here!

Since you expressed some concern about getting bogged down in the details, I thought I'd share a bit about my approach which, so far at least (and "so far" means for the past three years!) as helped keep the process fresh for me!

I don't use much CC at all (only if I'm using a friend's Sim that absolutely MUST have it), and I don't use any poses--just the in-game animations, and I keep my use of photo-editing to resizing. As a result, this simple approach lets me play and write in a pretty fluid manner, so my game-play and writing always feel engaging to me. I also like to have several stories going on, so when I need to take a break from one, I don't need to take a total break from everything.

I do totally feel that it's OK to mess up! In fact, sometime really interesting things end up happening--and we can learn so much--when we give ourselves permission to mess up!

If you start sharing your stories, I'll be eager to check them out!

Thanks for saying hi here!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!

Since you expressed some concern about getting bogged down in the details, I thought I'd share a bit about my approach which, so far at least (and "so far" means for the past three years!) as helped keep the process fresh for me!

I don't use much CC at all (only if I'm using a friend's Sim that absolutely MUST have it), and I don't use any poses--just the in-game animations, and I keep my use of photo-editing to resizing. As a result, this simple approach lets me play and write in a pretty fluid manner, so my game-play and writing always feel engaging to me. I also like to have several stories going on, so when I need to take a break from one, I don't need to take a total break from everything.

I do totally feel that it's OK to mess up! In fact, sometime really interesting things end up happening--and we can learn so much--when we give ourselves permission to mess up!

and if you get stuck listenento your characters.

i just recently realized sometimes thats helpful beccause if you observe them they will tell you what they want.

i believe i called them demanding little buggars. right sis?

but i got more readers now than ever i started with 3.
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    edited November 2017

Hi @MorieTris I have that problem too, wanting to get everything right on the first try. My art teacher used to say that if you believe it looks great, then it will. It surprisingly works with visual art - not quite so with written. XD Good luck with your writing and don't forget to have fun. :)
  • MedleyMistyMedleyMisty Posts: 1,188 Member

I'm like CathyTea. I don't use CC or poses. I do a bit more editing on my pics than just resizing, but not much - mostly I mess around a bit with the colors and contrast and I play around with filters and effects sometimes.

I wouldn't notice if you messed up on all that stuff, because I don't notice it in the stories I read. But that's just my taste - I know there are a lot of people who are into CC and posing and a lot of editing. When they complain about problems in their pics, I seriously can't see what they're talking about. I do have fairly bad eyesight, but maybe it's also Dunning-Kruger and I'm not competent enough in the sort of editing they do to be able to spot incompetence.

I've been writing Sims stories for 12 years now. It's okay to mess up, you're going to mess up, and it will take time to master things. And if you keep at it and do it long enough and get good enough, you're gonna get trolls and hate. But it can be very rewarding and it'll teach you a lot of things and help you grow, if you stick with it.

My Simblr: http://medleymisty.tumblr.com/

It'll be okay. Stick with it, and years from now you'll know a lot more about yourself. :)
    Sometimes the darkness and I tell stories.

Hi @MorieTris I have that problem too, wanting to get everything right on the first try. My art teacher used to say that if you believe it looks great, then it will. It surprisingly works with visual art - not quite so with written. XD Good luck with your writing and don't forget to have fun. :)

it does work with writing because your trying convey a charcters thoughts emotions and do it in way you get the reader to see what your idea was.

i know i got everything right at least once. because cathtea and i got in our first and only argument.

which i now laugh at usually only grade school kids get in did not did too. arguments.

but now when i think back i know i must have got the emotions right.
    Thank you everyone for your lovely replies!
    @CathyTea Yeah, I think you're right! Especially with game-driven stories that approach is probably the most useful to have. (I should make a game-driven story one fine day, not forcing the game to do things it should not be capable of, but hey apparently I like a challenge :joy: ) When I play I use next to no mods apart from gameplay tweaks and such, certainly not CAS or BB CC. For storytelling I usually start with an empty save that never gets actually played - buildings are empty sets apart from their parts relevant for backdrops, need decay set to off, that sorta thing. So I usually separate the two things. I admire people who can play and tell stories at the same time, it quickly distracts me! Also I hate having conflict in my actual gameplay, everyone needs to be perfectly happy and fulfilled all the time and that does not a great story make :lol:
    @friendsfan367 That is soooo true. Even for writers of the usual sort, but in TS we really have no excuse - just turn free will on and they will definitely and very plainly let you know what they want! :smiley:
    @MedleyMisty Haha, that's very reassuring! Just the other day I remembered a machinima webcomic I love and the guy doing it went through the whole thing and added little "behind the scenes" info where he explained what shots he had problems with or where he messed up. Honestly I would never have noticed any of the latter if he hadn't pointed it out. So I'm a bit like, who cares, right?
    I look so forward to the day I'll gain haters. Haters mean someone is reading your stuff! No such thing as bad publicity, right? :wink:

Honestly that should probably be the mantra of all of us creative types... "Haters = Attention"
    JMppbSi.png
    (Oh and I forgot to say but I probably can't edit my posts - @CathyTea and @MedleyMisty you have a new follower :smile: )
    JMppbSi.png
  • RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    Hi, @MorieTris ! I'm glad you're inspired to try storytelling. I also love the challenge that comes with story-driven stories and having to make the game do or seem to do what I want (though game-driven stories set their own, awesome challenges too). You seem to have a clear idea of what kind of a storyteller you are, so that's a great start in my opinion. Just find your style and don't worry about it too much. :)

Not much else to say, except welcome aboard! Glad to have you here!
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
    Hi, @MorieTris ! I'm glad you're inspired to try storytelling. I also love the challenge that comes with story-driven stories and having to make the game do or seem to do what I want (though game-driven stories set their own, awesome challenges too). You seem to have a clear idea of what kind of a storyteller you are, so that's a great start in my opinion. Just find your style and don't worry about it too much. :)

Not much else to say, except welcome aboard! Glad to have you here!

and have fun.
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member

it does work with writing because your trying convey a charcters thoughts emotions and do it in way you get the reader to see what your idea was.

i know i got everything right at least once. because cathtea and i got in our first and only argument.

which i now laugh at usually only grade school kids get in did not did too. arguments.

Hi @friendsfan367 Yes that is true. Having faith in your vision as a writer helps to communicate it to your readers. :)
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member

Welcome @MorieTris ! I joined the SimLit community in June to use TS4 as a medium for my writing. Although it has provided a fantastic tool to finally kick my inspiration and creativity into high gear, I have also allowed myself to be distracted by SimLit apart of writing, and have created stories here that I don't intend to explore for publication.

Developing screenshot finesse is one of those skills that occasionally, but rarely builds upon my writing. Like some others here, I don't use any CC or poses either. I occasionally use cheats or alternate saves for setting scenes. I encourage you NOT to get stressed out or anxious about making your screenshots "perfect". It's not about getting them perfect for me, but about learning techniques and being happy with them. I'm sure I'm only one of many authors who have noticed a clipped hand, or an unexpected outfit change, or something like that.

For example, just yesterday I had a shot that I accidentally took in the day that needed to be at night. I used a burn tool to darken the windows. The edges stayed pale but I didn't feel like fiddling with it anymore. I figured it would be good enough and readers probably wouldn't notice.
    wiQZQG9.png

I highly suggest just jumping right in and exploring as you go! And of course, share whatever you create with us.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison

Hi @friendsfan367 Yes that is true. Having faith in your vision as a writer helps to communicate it to your readers. :)

i love it i changed sim cognitos mind about sommething typed this morning.

i'm better at getting in arguments than changing minds.
    @CathyTea

i never played challenges til sims 4 thats why the writers lounge is in 4. i said to cathtea one day i'm need a place to ask dum questions about writing you want to help? and i'm cute so she said yes. lol. no actually cathtea and i met over in the mega thread which was weird we both went there were both shy but we became friends almost imediately and when i got the idea for the lounge she was the one i thought of to cohost.
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member

Welcome @MorieTris ! I joined the SimLit community in June to use TS4 as a medium for my writing. Although it has provided a fantastic tool to finally kick my inspiration and creativity into high gear, I have also allowed myself to be distracted by SimLit apart of writing, and have created stories here that I don't intend to explore for publication.

Developing screenshot finesse is one of those skills that occasionally, but rarely builds upon my writing. Like some others here, I don't use any CC or poses either. I occasionally use cheats or alternate saves for setting scenes. I encourage you NOT to get stressed out or anxious about making your screenshots "perfect". It's not about getting them perfect for me, but about learning techniques and being happy with them. I'm sure I'm only one of many authors who have noticed a clipped hand, or an unexpected outfit change, or something like that.

For example, just yesterday I had a shot that I accidentally took in the day that needed to be at night. I used a burn tool to darken the windows. The edges stayed pale but I didn't feel like fiddling with it anymore. I figured it would be good enough and readers probably wouldn't notice.
    wiQZQG9.png

I highly suggest just jumping right in and exploring as you go! And of course, share whatever you create with us.

It's true that I didn't notice the window because I was paying attention to the main picture. I think i'd only notice if I was looking for it specifically. :)
    I sometimes wonder if my screenshots fit the scene and if it took less time than normal I wonder if my readers notice. I doubt it because they're there for the story not my 'amazing' screenshotting skills, or well the lack of them. :D
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member

@MorieTris Welcome and I'm so glad you popped in here. I find the community here to be most encouraging and helpful for my SimLit writing pursuits. I hope you can find camaraderie and useful tips here.

I actually do use a lot of CC, and some poses, but I try not to spend too much time and effort and focus on it. I generally outline my plots and from the outline, decipher if I might need something the game doesn't have to offer. I might do a quick search for something on a trusted site. Otherwise, I just pop into the game and use my imagination. I find not everything needs to be narrated (some things can be told through pictures) and not everything needs to be illustrated (some things can be told through the prose). Some of my favorite stories expand beyond what's in the image. I admire those author's creative and innovative expression and the ability to pull me into a story without the need of the pictures. However, I tend to be word-heavy rather than picture-focused in my writing and reading preferences. So I don't really notice when there are "issues" in other people's pictures.

Sometimes I just chalk something up to "I'm lazy" and I don't want to keep hunting or taking the time to screenshot perfectly. Sometimes I try to capture something in words if I fail to get it right in the image. Sometimes I just ignore it and let it go and figure my readers probably will also. No one's perfect so don't sweat the details too much. The point is to have fun. I know what it feels like to want something to be perfect. I sometimes look at something I wrote and cringe and wish I had written something differently. However, I just learn to live with it, improvise, and move on and my readers are understanding.

Beyond my brother in law, I don't really know anyone in my immediate friend circle who plays, but I did make some lovely friends here online in the community.

P.S. If you'd like, you can follow my Simblr - http://livinasimminlife.tumblr.com/
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest