Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »

Another question: Do you prefer to let the reader's find out before the characters (about a detail/secret/ insert anything that could be revealed) or at the same time as the characters?

@Bugsie2016 I tend to reveal little things maybe via picture only, but usually I reveal things with the characters mostly because this gives me wiggle room in case I need to change something. Or I am still figuring out details when I publish. Or I really really like suspense. :D

However, I've seen this kind of thing done well with frame stories. You know the "whodunnit" but you don't know the why until the end of the story. Then it could work in your favor to reveal details earlier to the readers than the characters. I'm trying to think of a good Simlit example of this, and I'm drawing a blank so if anyone knows of one, feel free to help me out. Chaucer's Canterbury Tales are an example of a frame story, or Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Or the movie Inception is a good example. The trick is to keep the reader guessing and engaged.

@AdamsEve1231 Fortunately, I already know what the detail is and it's a mystery that @simscognito is currently trying to figure out (latest theory was hilarious btw). I'm thinking of either going with one of two plans:
    A wordless skip of time ended with some form of link into discovering (in this case) the identity of said character. (I'm thinking this one right now)

Or I reveal who the identity first then wordless time skip chapter and trying to resolve what happens at the ending.

I'm staying vague because it's an important secret that only I know and it's also been planned since before I published the first chapter back in September.

@Bugsie2016
    I think either one could work. I wish you luck with your writing.

Thanks. I should be able to work on it after I write Sundays BL and the first chapter of Harry's story. Which I'm partly done with anyway. :)
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    Hello All! Happy day-before-Thanksgiving (if you're in the US!) :) I'm super pumped because @Julyvee94 is arriving later today to visit with me and spend Thanksgiving with my family! Can't wait! :smiley:

Here's my A2A chapter for today. Let's see how things are going for Harper and Erik a few months after the overdose...

6.42: Interlude - Falling Apart
    9OZMslC.png
    snvAF3B.png
  • superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Hello all, here is the latest chapter for my legacy. The family arrives in Oasis Springs for a very sad occasion.

The Keen Legacy 2.17: Glue
    000_09-17-17_1-06-38c2a0pm.png
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    In addition, here is the latest for my story about the alien adoption challenge. More fall out as Wendy crafts a way to feel better after her experiences with the child!

Chapter 7: Reject
    000_11-04-17_9-21-24c2a0am.png
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Hello All! Happy day-before-Thanksgiving (if you're in the US!) :) I'm super pumped because @Julyvee94 is arriving later today to visit with me and spend Thanksgiving with my family! Can't wait! :smiley:

Here's my A2A chapter for today. Let's see how things are going for Harper and Erik a few months after the overdose...

Enjoy the pie and fuming about Erik to her face @Julyvee94 see you on Friday of course :heart:
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • lilypadmeulinlilypadmeulin Posts: 1,655 Member
    Help needed!

Should I move my tribe for the Amazon Challenge to the windenburg island, now that I can get Get Together?
  • StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    A new extra beat post is out as Laila has some questions for MrBlueEyes

Extra Beat Post 2: Weaknesses

extra-noise-post.jpg

extra-noise-post.jpg

Do I sense some flirting in this chapter?
    Another Chapter of The Tompkins Family in Brindleton Bay (or BB for short)
    Chapter One: Arrival in Brindleton Bay
    hx9AOlul.png
  • StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member

extra-noise-post.jpg

@lilypadmeulin It's more friendly joking.

extra-noise-post.jpg

@lilypadmeulin It's more friendly joking.

It's nice that Laila's making a friend
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    Thu's mind has been towards death a lot lately.

i read this it was great. i'm glad he changed his mind though
    i went to moms for a hour. but my pie s made.
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    > @Bugsie2016 said:
    > Another Chapter of The Tompkins Family in Brindleton Bay (or BB for short)
    > Chapter One: Arrival in Brindleton Bay

Aww, that's such a cute chapter. I'm so impressed with Ron's obedience. He seems like a lovely kid and so understanding too.

Enjoy the pie and fuming about Erik to her face @Julyvee94 see you on Friday of course :heart:

what happens friday?
    edited November 2017
    Hello All! Happy day-before-Thanksgiving (if you're in the US!) :) I'm super pumped because @ Julyvee94 is arriving later today to visit with me and spend Thanksgiving with my family! Can't wait! :smiley:

Enjoy the pie and fuming about Erik to her face @ Julyvee94 see you on Friday of course :heart:

what happens friday?

Staying with them in Maine for a weekend. ;)

And I'm glad Andrea made the call too. I'd hate for Uptown to have ended before it began.

outrun / blog / tunglr
    > @Bugsie2016 said:

Aww, that's such a cute chapter. I'm so impressed with Ron's obedience. He seems like a lovely kid and so understanding too.

It's surprising actually with him losing his dad that he's so understanding but guess it's just in his nature. (Had to restrain myself from posting it last night but I did it :D )
    Hello All! Happy day-before-Thanksgiving (if you're in the US!) :) I'm super pumped because @ Julyvee94 is arriving later today to visit with me and spend Thanksgiving with my family! Can't wait! :smiley:

Enjoy the pie and fuming about Erik to her face @ Julyvee94 see you on Friday of course :heart:

what happens friday?

Staying with them in Maine for a weekend. ;)

And I'm glad Andrea made the call too. I'd hate for Uptown to have ended before it began.

the only thing that confused me is in other posts of him hes bald because hes sick so is the one i read now from when he first finds out because he has hair in that one?
    > @Bugsie2016 said:

It's surprising actually with him losing his dad that he's so understanding but guess it's just in his nature. (Had to restrain myself from posting it last night but I did it :D )

Yes, I know how you feel. Especially when the chapter's an exciting one. Do you ever get that for WAWRMO?
    In addition, here is the latest for my story about the alien adoption challenge. More fall out as Wendy crafts a way to feel better after her experiences with the child!

Chapter 7: Reject
    000_11-04-17_9-21-24c2a0am.png

Oh my gosh that Alien is so cute. I'm going to have to read this. <3
    > @Bugsie2016 said:

Yes, I know how you feel. Especially when the chapter's an exciting one. Do you ever get that for WAWRMO?

Of course, I think I got excited for the last one actually. I was looking forward to it. :) I'm looking forward to finishing the next one as it's a skip of time. :)
    @friendsfan367: some chapters are deliberately not in order, since they're flashbacks and no one thinks about their life in perfect chronological order. ;)

outrun / blog / tunglr
    edited November 2017
    @friendsfan367: some chapters are deliberately not in order, since they're flashbacks and no one thinks about their life in perfect chronological order. ;)

so is that yes or no?

ask sissy when i'm intrested i don't let things go.

but i get it mom asked what time i wanted to be at her house tomorrow and its not like last year so i said when the foods ready.
  • CharmingMaruskaCharmingMaruska Posts: 1,050 Member
    Hey, guys! How are you today? :smile:

It looks like something happen to my signature. Does anyone else see it really huge?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top