Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Was it always this hard?

2...Next

Comments

• ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    ari100 wrote: »
    Yeah the Sims 3 was a little too easy, and the sims 4 is just ridiculous. I have never played a game other than the Sims that present no challenge. I don't think you can really call it a game anymore, it's just a reality Tv show (and not a good one). I used to be so proud of my achievements in sims 1, but also sims 2 as well. The only thing you need to actually try hard with in the Sims 4 is if you want to kill your Sim.
    I agree. But I have also never played a game where the main target group to the same degree is 10-15 yrs old girls in the same way. I think they exist though because there have been several dress-up games that have had the same target group. But I have just never tried playing those games and can’t therefore compare them.

Even so I see the low difficulty degree mainly as a mistake because I actually think that EA underestimate those girls. Maybe such young girls were only dreamers who only cared about their looks 60+ years ago where their future plans only was to be married, have kids and take care of their kids and their future husband. But today young girls have other plans and they are now often even more ambitious about their future jobs than boys are. EA may be right that such young girls still are the main customers for Sims games. But EA seems to have forgotten how much such young girls loved TS1 even though that games was many times harder than TS4 and had ugly outdated graphics too.
  • abenaki1972abenaki1972 Posts: 46 Member
    Wow! I love The Sims 1! <3
  • PrincessrozeeSPrincessrozeeS Posts: 390 Member
    Also, the social drops so fast and talking to sims doesn't really raise it fast enough. Plus it's hard to gain any relationship with the other sims.

The Social in the Sims 1 was hard because it was based on interests, so unless your Sim had pretty much the same interests as the other Sim the relationships would be very hard to build and if your Sim chatted about something the other Sim had no knowledge of the said interest, the relationship would take a dive. Your Sim could read up on interests in the books, one for each interest, but there were only so many points to go around so when one interest went up another went down; it appeared to be randomly taking from another interest perhaps one your Sim wanted to keep. So the only real way to have all your interests maxed out was to use a mod in the game. That made talking to the other Sims a whole lot easier lol. Of course things came a little better with expansion packs to get friendships up by using magic or having fame as a superstar for example.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    It's not the sims 1 that is hard, it's the sims 3 and especially the sims 4 that is so easy that it gets boring - and - we got so used to it that anything more demanding than that seems 'too hard' for us now. And I'm saying this being a mid-twenty adult who spent hundreds of hours playing the sims 1 as a kid who has had no experience with video games back then, if you get what I'm trying to say.

I think this is some of my problem, too. I'm just conditioned now for everything to be so easy. I started out with adventure games and I used to be able to solve those games, like the old game Then There Were None, was one of my favorites. I didn't have internet here so I didn't know about walk-throughs (GameBoomers.com) for a long time. I solved many good adventure games, but now if I try to revisit one or try a new one, I get stuck have no idea where to go next, lol, and head for the walk-throughs. It annoys me my gray matter doesn't work that well anymore and maybe I've become lazy/mentally.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited November 2017
    @Cinebar wrote: »
    Yep, it was hard, and back then I didn't even know the cheats! because I had internet (dial up) sometimes and months or a year without etc. I was lucky to even get to go to The Sims site as much as I did.

You have to stack points. Like for eating, a better fridge, a better counter, a better stove, more skill points all add up to getting full and lasting longer.

Better furniture offers better comfort etc. Better stuff for fun offers faster filling of the fun motive. It's all about trying to get better stuff so you have time to live. But just when you think you have the hang of it, and get them scheduled an event will happen that will make you have to go down a different road, lol. You can see from TS4 how watered down the game has really become. I bet you can go to the store and not worry about your Sims in TS4, lol

To be fair, The Sims 4 is harder than The Sims 3.
    The Sims 3 was literally advertsised that Sims would take care of themselves. That's when that started.

The Sims 4 tried to make things harder (eg. Bills etc) but this generation of gamers don't want anything too hard.
    Instant gratification.

I miss The Sims 2 games. Perfect balance.
  • MorticiaBlack7MorticiaBlack7 Posts: 130 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

I think this is some of my problem, too. I'm just conditioned now for everything to be so easy. I started out with adventure games and I used to be able to solve those games, like the old game Then There Were None, was one of my favorites. I didn't have internet here so I didn't know about walk-throughs (GameBoomers.com) for a long time. I solved many good adventure games, but now if I try to revisit one or try a new one, I get stuck have no idea where to go next, lol, and head for the walk-throughs. It annoys me my gray matter doesn't work that well anymore and maybe I've become lazy/mentally.

I'm afraid this global trivialisation applies to every aspect of our lives these days...
  • theFellatheFella Posts: 297 Member
    I remember, years ago, when the game first came out, I was about 5, and my parents had the game. I went on the game and made characters based off my favorite wrestlers. I put them in a house, and within an hour they were all dead. looking back on that I can easily say it has always been this hard.
    MeanBrilliantArrowworm-size_restricted.gif
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Yep, it was hard, and back then I didn't even know the cheats! because I had internet (dial up) sometimes and months or a year without etc. I was lucky to even get to go to The Sims site as much as I did.

You have to stack points. Like for eating, a better fridge, a better counter, a better stove, more skill points all add up to getting full and lasting longer.

Better furniture offers better comfort etc. Better stuff for fun offers faster filling of the fun motive. It's all about trying to get better stuff so you have time to live. But just when you think you have the hang of it, and get them scheduled an event will happen that will make you have to go down a different road, lol. You can see from TS4 how watered down the game has really become. I bet you can go to the store and not worry about your Sims in TS4, lol

The Sims 3 was literally advertsised that Sims would take care of themselves. That's when that started.

The Sims 4 tried to make things harder (eg. Bills etc) but this generation of gamers don't want anything too hard.
    Instant gratification.

I don’t agree because the Sims 2 was too easy too. That was one of the main reasons why I stopped playing it after about 2.5 years.

But even so the way it was done in the Sims 1 wasn’t good either because it isn’t really taking care of the needs that should be harder. It is the gameplay in a more general way.
  • greenbean71greenbean71 Posts: 60 Member
    In my Prima game guide for TS2, it actually spoke of how the main object of TS1 was dealing with the needs, careers, everyday life and keeping Sims happy. That was the main part of the game. There was also a different sort factor for them, like ranking which of the needs was top priority. In TS1, they just randomly selected between the top 3, which was hunger, social and bladder. Even if bladder was low, since it was a random choice, they may have picked going to the fridge instead, which is why, according to the guide there were so many bladder accidents and why it required much of player interaction. It also spoke of how Sims in TS2 had a much better "picking" system and that they can actually, for the most part, take care of themselves without much player interaction.
  • maryjane2joemaryjane2joe Posts: 294 Member
    !!HaHa!! I absolutely LOVE these kinda stories!! The first thing my grandbaby taught me about the Sims a long time ago was.... Cheats... Cheats... and more... Cheats!!
    285JXDb.jpg
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2018
    So today I installed the sims 1 on my laptop and it installed fine but because I have windows 10 it wouldn't load. No biggie, I found a youtube video that helped me and it worked! I had my three daughters help me create our sims family. They're all 10 and younger. Anyhow we buy a house and I remember the cheat rosebud; from my sims 1 days when I was a little older than my oldest daughter. In the first five minutes, our house is in flames because of the genie. It burns everything in the whole room because we forgot a fire detector. Silly me. I hardly use them in the sims 4. Anyhow one of our sims dies. We exit the game without saving and try again, but it just feels like we're trying to keep them happy 24/7. It's so hard for our sims to do anything besides eating, sleeping, and going to the bathroom because their needs drop so fast. Was it always this hard? I don't remember because it's been years since I've played. I like the random phone calls though and the house fires. I like that you never know what's going to happen, and all the sims are really interesting.

Well I have The Sims 1 on my laptop and yes it can be pretty hard, when you compare to TS3 and TS4. TS1 focused very heavily on the sim's needs it can be a struggle especially at first because games nowadays are so easy to handle.

Sims 1 sims are like the pregnant woman on TS2, their needs drop faaaast. You have to come up with strategies to make them happy, use the objects on community lots that can help your sims build fun and other things, make them wash their hands for a while etc.

After a while I got used to it and have been able to manage my sim's household pretty well. Although so far it's just my sim and her pet dog.

Also, keep an eye on your fund income (click on the funds), there's a panel that shows how much your household makes and how much they spend.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Instant gratification.

I actually did love the bills are so high in TS4, I want them to be that high in TS2, too. My Clue family in TS4 moved into their mansion and then couldn't really afford it. >:) and were always getting their power and water turned off, but the bad thing was they didn't really seem to mind all that much. It bothered me more than them. :/ It could have been so much better for TS4 is the power off had some really bad consequences if that had happened in TS2 or worse in TS1 they would have been raving, or crying. lol That should be tweaked in TS4 to make it more realistic and matter to those Sims.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • maryjane2joemaryjane2joe Posts: 294 Member
    i still have my sims 2 castaway addition for pc... i miss playing it because the sims 2 had so many packs... but i really love sims 4 nowdays
    285JXDb.jpg
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2018
    Erpe wrote: »

Instant gratification.

I don’t agree because the Sims 2 was too easy too. That was one of the main reasons why I stopped playing it after about 2.5 years.

But even so the way it was done in the Sims 1 wasn’t good either because it isn’t really taking care of the needs that should be harder. It is the gameplay in a more general way.

The hardest for me are TS1 and TS2. If you don't have the Freetime EP and you don't have the needs perks, they drop real fast too, especially when a sim is pregnant, not to mention the aspiration failure due to fears can make the game very hard because you won't be able to put your sim in a good mood at all. In TS3 managing the mood is easier, in TS4 even easier it is as a simple decor item can put them happy.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    !!HaHa!! I absolutely LOVE these kinda stories!! The first thing my grandbaby taught me about the Sims a long time ago was.... Cheats... Cheats... and more... Cheats!!

What is the point of cheating? Yes you may get all you want and things you want in the game but for me the whole point of a game is to achieve without cheats. The only time I ever had a cheat in my game was in the Sims 1 because talking to other Sims relied heavily on the interests a Sims had and it would bring relationships down really fast if they didn't have at some points in that interest. And reading up on interests only took points from one to another. But once they brought out Superstar and Makin' Magic there was little reason to cheat! I only ever used a mod in the Sims 2 to stop witches going on community lots because they never sorted out that problem with FreeTime and I used to often get several witches turning up at the same time! Good and Bad LOL

I like the challenge in all the Sims games. Even the glitches make me cross at times but I will not even use a cheat or boolprop to sort that out. I hope that it will eventually be sorted out with patches! One can live in hope LOL

Cinebar wrote: »
    Yep, it was hard, and back then I didn't even know the cheats! because I had internet (dial up) sometimes and months or a year without etc. I was lucky to even get to go to The Sims site as much as I did. quote]

Yep I remember dial up when I was playing the Sims 1, going online to check out the Sims 1 website used to disable our phone service so if someone was trying to phone the line was permanently engaged. One thing I am very happy about with internet changes and broadband :)

I think the Sims 1 was probably the hardest of all the Sims games although when I am able to go and play it now it seems very retro compared to today's Sims. Of course having all the EP's helped much with playing and enhanced the game a lot with needs and friendship.

When I was playing the Sims 1 I didn't want to go and play the Sims 2 because I didn't think they could improve and what I thought was the best game ever. But once I was playing the Sims 2 of course my mind changed about that! :)
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Erpe wrote: »

Instant gratification.

The hardest for me are TS1 and TS2. If you don't have the Freetime EP and you don't have the needs perks, they drop real fast too, especially when a sim is pregnant, not to mention the aspiration failure due to fears can make the game very hard because you won't be able to put your sim in a good mood at all. In TS3 managing the mood is easier, in TS4 even easier it is as a simple decor item can put them happy.
    Everything is relative. You may be right if you only have played Sims games. But I came from harder strategic war games like Total Annihilation and Starcraft when I bought Sims 2 as my first Sims game. So I found it to be a good game - but just too easy.

Later I bought Sims 1 too out of curiosity. I found it harder than Sims 2 - but not really in a good way. So I quickly returned to Sims 2 after trying Sims 1 and its expansions too.
  • Tootsyim1Tootsyim1 Posts: 486 Member
    I love the original Sims and I've been sad because I was unable to get it to work on my "mega monster" machine that my son built for me. So every now and again I would whine a little about "the good ol' days" and last night my son came over with a computer with Windows XP and now I'm the happiest Momma in the World!!
    I remember it being hard, but holy cow!! I very quickly lost a couple in a massive house fire! I never knew, back then, that there were cheats for the game, and I (probably) won't be using them this time around. Heck, I didn't realize there was a website where everyone loved the Sims as much as me! I finally found the forum midway through Sims 2!! :D

Anyway, just came on to say BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!! <3 Who knew that day, long ago, when I got rid of my old computer that I would be happy to have XP again!! :*
  • OhHeyLuckyOhHeyLucky Posts: 1,338 Member
    It was apparently that hard, but it didn't seem like it at the time for me particularly because there was no other frame of reference. It was the first of its kind. I was able to find the whole collection of Sims 1 games at a thrift store a couple years ago. 10 bucks total. It was beautiful. I started playing and was like "whoa. This is HARD." But I had played all of TS2, all of TS3, and now playing TS4, they are all a breeze compared to TS1. They still have a special place in my heart though. :)