Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Experiences on Mac computers/Laptops/etc

So , I was wondering how other mac users are experiencing playing the Sims 4 on the Mac ? And what programs are you using ( I'm using Origin to play the game on ) . So far I haven't been experiencing manny problems , only a few lags , but I am only playing the base game and just recently bought the get to work bundle ( get to work , outdoor retreat and luxury party stuff )+ cool kitchen stuff. So far so good , what about you ? If you are experiencing any problems I will try helping with my experience thus far :) .
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

747a4083471d8b76843c1c120cf5bd98.jpg

Comments

• drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    I have a 2015 MBP w/ Retina display and all packs installed (except LPS because I never bought that). Performance is pretty good actually. I haven’t encountered really any bugs, the only issue is the computer itself getting hot which just requires me to keep an eye on it and take a break to let it cool down.
  • Lucid_blehLucid_bleh Posts: 107 Member
    edited November 2017
    I have a 2015 MBP w/ Retina display and all packs installed (except LPS because I never bought that). Performance is pretty good actually. I haven’t encountered really any bugs, the only issue is the computer itself getting hot which just requires me to keep an eye on it and take a break to let it cool down.

Oh , awesome . Yeah , for me its the same , so I'm contemplating on buying a laptop cooling pad i searched this site for some info on which to get , but idk if i should trust it --> https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/best-laptop-coolers <-- :/
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

• TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    Really depends how old your computer is. I used to play TS4 on a 2011 MBP that met the requirements but not the recommended settings. I had a lot of bugs in that game and had to play on the lowest graphics. Now I'm on a 2015 MBP and the game runs so well. Still some bugs, but much better, and I'm still in awe of how much more beautiful the game is now.
    Terra wrote: »
    Really depends how old your computer is. I used to play TS4 on a 2011 MBP that met the requirements but not the recommended settings. I had a lot of bugs in that game and had to play on the lowest graphics. Now I'm on a 2015 MBP and the game runs so well. Still some bugs, but much better, and I'm still in awe of how much more beautiful the game is now.

I could not agree with you more @Terra , I am playing on the 2012 MBP at the moment and it is working just fine for me , a few bugs here and there , the only problem I have is that the game slows down drastically if im on 150 max sims settings

• drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    Lucid_bleh wrote: »

Oh , awesome . Yeah , for me its the same , so I'm contemplating on buying a laptop cooling pad i searched this site for some info on which to get , but idk if i should trust it --> https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/best-laptop-coolers <-- :/

Macs are pretty good about dissipating heat on their own. A cooling pad really just makes the casing cooler to the touch, it doesn’t protect the internal components from potentially overheating. I don’t personally use them, I think it’s easier to just let it cool down for a few minutes when it gets too hot.

In regards to the max sim population, I have mine set to 80 on my Mac which I believe is the default setting for everyone. 150 Sims, which doesn’t include townies might be a lot for your Mac to handle. I would keep an eye on it, and if you notice that it starts to not perform as well try lowering that if at all possible. On my Mac I try to reduce the number of households I make because when it gets to be too much there is a relatively noticeable change in performance.

Macs are pretty good about dissipating heat on their own. A cooling pad really just makes the casing cooler to the touch, it doesn’t protect the internal components from potentially overheating. I don’t personally use them, I think it’s easier to just let it cool down for a few minutes when it gets too hot.

In regards to the max sim population, I have mine set to 80 on my Mac which I believe is the default setting for everyone. 150 Sims, which doesn’t include townies might be a lot for your Mac to handle. I would keep an eye on it, and if you notice that it starts to not perform as well try lowering that if at all possible. On my Mac I try to reduce the number of households I make because when it gets to be too much there is a relatively noticeable change in performance.

@drake_mccarty yeah heating is the biggest issue for my mac , regarding the cooling pads I was thinking of buying them in general to just test the product out but like I said I don't trust them exactly because they do not actually cool it like you said . Regarding the settings , yes I do unfortunately have to keep the sim count on the low and do have to restrain myself from overpopulating it , however I am enjoying the gameplay right now with one of my families so it's not too bad nor a big issue for me , on the downside I do have to delete some of my designs right after I create them and put them up for downloads . All in all I'm starting to get the hang of the sims 4 on mac , it took me some time to adjust but I'm loving it so far .

• EmilyJEmilyJ Posts: 5 New Member
    I have a Macbook Pro and also use Origin. I've been playing The Sims 4 since it came out and so far *touchwood* I've never had any problems. I have the base game, Toddler Stuff and a free holiday pack. The only annoying thing is I can't uninstall the holiday stuff without uninstalling the whole game apparently :(
    I'm currently debating on buying either City Living or Parenthood I just can't decided which one!!
    @EmilyJ for uninstalling packs I would not advise you doing some of the unofficial methods like deleting files on your computer , because that may affect other things if not done correctly and almost 90% of people who do this have in-game problems after ( i suggest you try this out https://simsvip.com/2015/01/15/the-sims-4-how-to-properly-uninstall-downloadable-content/ ) .

Well it depends on what kind of gameplay you like , I suggest adding Parenthood since it has lot of new features regarding your sims like farting and burping hehe it also features character values that include : manners , responsibilities , empathy , conflict resolution and emotional control while growing up which I find great for sims character development and custom story progression , the game focuses on parenting which becomes an actual skill in the game and so your household will certainly be more entertaining .

As apposed to , city living which brings more fun and content focused on the lives of sims like festivals , more jobs , the city itself and the apartments . The game seems to be focused on multicultural developments in sims the most fun for me here are the ruin down / fixer upper apartments that you can either ... ruin and get them infested with rats , or make them a cozy environment for your sims . Regarding festivals it's similar to the festivals in the sims 3 seasons so you get more sim world development .

In conclusion its great to get both ! Since one focuses more on the sims and their relationships and the other one focuses more on world-sim interaction and lifestyle :) . Sorry for the essay like short review , hope it helped

• EmilyJEmilyJ Posts: 5 New Member
    Thanks so much! @Lucid_bleh That has helped a lot.
    I'm swaying towards Parenthood, I think it suits my gameplay more than City Living will. :) Thank You!
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    I play on a late 2012 27" iMac and have no problems. Most of my graphics are on high with no lag. Sims 2, 3 and 4 run well on it. I have 32 GB of RAM which helps as well. I have everything for Sims 4.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    I play on a late 2012 27" iMac and have no problems. Most of my graphics are on high with no lag. Sims 2, 3 and 4 run well on it. I have 32 GB of RAM which helps as well. I have everything for Sims 4.

Oh nice , thats awesome ! @Tremayne4260

I also have all of Sims 3, but on the Mac side I have only the Mac port by Asypr for Sims 2. On the Windows side I have the complete collection. Really wish we had the complete port for Sims 2, but I have fun with what I have.
    @Tremayne4260 I too own the sims 3 on the same mac , and for the sims 2 i have not played them since the sims 3 came out so I have not tried to find ways to play them on my mac , as for the original sims .... I really kinda miss them since I had the complete collection D,X

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Running TS4 on a 2011 MBP
    16 GB Ram, SSD HD

My recommended population Max is set to 150
    Computer gets hot and fan is loud. But it’s an old computer so I don’t mind really.
    @Chazzzy i wonder why mine is slow at times ....

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited November 2017

Even though the max recommended is 150, I only have 98 active sims. I also deleted all my empty houses and don’t allow any households to have more than 4 people and 1 pet total. I moved all of my community lots to Windenburg only. Sim detail is on high but all other graphic settings are on low. Little stuff like that helps I think.
    Chazzzy wrote: »

Even though the max recommended is 150, I only have 98 active sims. I also deleted all my empty houses and don’t allow any households to have more than 4 people and 1 pet total. I moved all of my community lots to Windenburg only. Sim detail is on high but all other graphic settings are on low. Little stuff like that helps I think.

Oh well that certainly helps , all of my settings are on the highest settings and a lot of my households have 5+ sims in them , I am mostly playing in Willow Creek . I mean it's not supper slow but the frame-rate is sometimes a bit laggy when playing for a longer period of time , I only had one crash that happened unexplainably when my sims were on a date at the gym and I had one of them exercising ( since then I took it as a sign that she (the sim) does not like to exercise :D )

Also, not having a lot of CC helps speed up the game. I mostly have houses and very little CC.
    @Tremayne4260 yeah thats why I do not have any cc on my game , sadly

• momoitomomoito Posts: 43 Member
    I was originally playing with only 4 gb memory and 2 game packs, after these additions my game basically crashed and was super slow. After upgrading to 8gb memory everything works relatively great. I have a 2011 macbook pro with base specs
  • AmySimmsAmySimms Posts: 11 New Member
    I have a mid-2015 MacBook Pro with a dual core i7 and Intel Iris 6100 integrated graphics. The game runs very well at Medium - nice and smooth, fluid and very little overheating!

I have no CC and just the base Sims 4 game installed, running under macOS (no Bootcamp).
  • CryBloodwingCryBloodwing Posts: 2 New Member
    I use a 2017 MacBook Pro and it works normally well for me. Only problem I have had is doing the detailed changes on Sims creation with the trackpad.

I have 8 mods but they are just like a new hairstyle or new outfits and I have a ton of space on my computer.

I also often have lag with the fast forward time, like it freezes, jumps back a few minutes, or randomly switches to the slower speed up version.
  • simlandersimlander Posts: 196 Member
    edited February 2018
    I currently play on a Macbook Air baught in 2013 (not sure if the model's called 2013 or 14). I run it on low-medium settings (sometimes turn it up if I'm taking pictures but then it's only for a short time). I use Origin because I had a hard copy of the game that was installed on a PC and added to my account so I just rather easily downloaded it to the Air via Origin. I don't remember experiencing any problems when I ran it on higher settings, but I just didn't want to risk damaging my computer. The only issue I can think of is the same as @CryBloodwing had with the lag when fast forwarding. I used to play TS4 on a 2011 eMachines (Acer) (which I was told was a "gaming computer" but after looking it up I don't think the specs were that great) and TS4 runs a lot better on the Air. I was actually surprised when I first played it on the Air because the loading times were much shorter. I don't play with mods but do have some CC in my game. I would however like to play on higher settings.

EDIT: After reading some comments I feel I have to add as well that it does heat up when playing (but then again so did my PC) and I think it's worse when I play big households. Another addition is that I only have the Base Game, I probably would've already bought some expansions if I weren't sure how much the computer can handle.
    But to sum it up, the Sims 4 runs fine on Macs as long as you turn the settings down a bit and don't fill your game with mods and CC.
    Post edited by simlander on
  • futurevet201futurevet201 Posts: 59 Member
    I play on a pretty new MacBook air and it runs pretty well through origin but my computer heats up quite a bit and gets quite loud
    I did a push-up today!
    Well, actually I fell down. But I had to use my arms to get back up so...you know, close enough.
    I need some chocolate.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    I play on a pretty new MacBook air and it runs pretty well through origin but my computer heats up quite a bit and gets quite loud

You might want to lower your in-game settings and elevate your Mac if you want to prolong its life. That noise is the fan running full pelt desperately trying to cool it down.

apple-signature.png