Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    edited November 2017
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    Another question: Do you prefer to let the reader's find out before the characters (about a detail/secret/ insert anything that could be revealed) or at the same time as the characters?

@Bugsie2016 Depends on the reveal in question. Sometimes in my mind it works better to let the reader know and then be in suspense knowing it's coming and that such and such character is eventually going to find out, others it's fun to have the reader feel the same surprise/shock/horror as the characters. It just depends on what type of reveal it is and what I feel would make for a better overall scene.
  • eXokamikazeeXokamikaze Posts: 3,870 Member
    @AuroraLockwood I've been great! I went on a trip to Perth to attend a good friend's wedding last week, and just returned on Sunday. Had my first day back at work today and it was a fairly good one.

How are you doing? :)

*ninjapig chows down happily*

@eXokamikaze Really well actually. I've been dealing with some medical stuff recently but yesterday I had a doctors appointment and they think they've finally figured out what's wrong with me :smiley:

Other than that just the usual, writing probably more than I should but generally enjoying every minute of it :)

I'm glad that there's a breakthrough! My colleague's facing the same thing right now and I'm really hoping everything will turn out alright for her. It's good that you're staying positive throughout it all. Having a good mindset is so important to dealing with medical stuff. Hang in there and stay strong. :)
    @AuroraLockwood I've been great! I went on a trip to Perth to attend a good friend's wedding last week, and just returned on Sunday. Had my first day back at work today and it was a fairly good one.

@eXokamikaze Really well actually. I've been dealing with some medical stuff recently but yesterday I had a doctors appointment and they think they've finally figured out what's wrong with me :smiley:

Other than that just the usual, writing probably more than I should but generally enjoying every minute of it :)

I'm glad that there's a breakthrough! My colleague's facing the same thing right now and I'm really hoping everything will turn out alright for her. It's good that you're staying positive throughout it all. Having a good mindset is so important to dealing with medical stuff. Hang in there and stay strong. :)

@eXokamikaze It's easy to be positive when there's finally headway :tongue: (rest of the time's been kind of back and forth, having doctors who seem to care more about dealing with the symptoms rather than fixing the problem can do that to you, particularly when they charge an arm and a leg to do it :confounded:) But as said things are finally looking up so I can't complain too much.
  • eXokamikazeeXokamikaze Posts: 3,870 Member

@eXokamikaze It's easy to be positive when there's finally headway :tongue: (rest of the time's been kind of back and forth, having doctors who seem to care more about dealing with the symptoms rather than fixing the problem can do that to you, particularly when they charge an arm and a leg to do it :confounded:) But as said things are finally looking up so I can't complain too much.

I can imagine how frustrating that must be, and how much worry you must have gone through. Hoping for the best for you now that things are finally looking up. <3
  • superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Hello all, here is the next chapter of the Keen Legacy. Snapdragon reaches out.

The Keen Legacy 2.16: The Talk
    000_a1.png
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
    And a new post from Laila is up and ready as she starts off her new life with some new experiences.

Post 2: New Experiences

random-noise-post.jpg
  • Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    Hey people!
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    Happy timezones all! :smile: Hope everyone is having a great week so far!

Mine has been pretty great after noticing @Meggles's adorable pup being featured in the TS4 blog! Look at her cutie-pie!

*snuggles @eXokamikaze & ninjapig* Awww, thanks for the shoutout!!!

AND eXo posted a travel blog with ninjapig!!! :love: You should all check it out. Lots of food pics, mmm!
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    Karilan wrote: »
    @Bugsie2016 I'm having a hilarious problem right now. Every time I try to tag someone in a post it's forcing me to tag you instead. Can you please stop hacking my computer? :joy:

You know I was asleep when you posted this, right? (I'm not gonna be awake at 1am :D, at least not on a Monday night, maybe Friday. )
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    @Acarb90: Lame. :( Especially losing days to mod woes!

i did too but i must have whined enough bugsie fixed it,

last time i whined that much was at work . they would buy donughts and i never got one. that worked too.

Actually, I was just curious if I could do it, turns out I could. Also I will always help when I can (even if it takes me ages and several days).

Also, 2 more days until my long weekend. Plans involve trying to concentrate enough to write 3 chapters. BTW if i've ever binge read your story, congrats you had me intrigued enough as I only really concentrate that much when i'm interested. (Not saying i'm not interested in my writing but when it starts to seem like work I get distracted :D )
  • CharmingMaruskaCharmingMaruska Posts: 1,051 Member
    Happy timezones! How's everyone doing?

@eXokamikaze So good to see you around here! I feel like we've never been in forums at the same time lately :smile: Perth looks like a great city to visit, to be honest. And the food! I was reading your posts late at night and it was torture! How was the wedding?

@Meggles Congrats! Oolie's simself is too adorable - just like the real life version :smile:
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Happy timezones all! :smile: Hope everyone is having a great week so far!

Mine has been pretty great after noticing @Meggles's adorable pup being featured in the TS4 blog! Look at her cutie-pie!

@Meggles ! Congratulations ! So happy that Oolie is famous ! (And you are, too!)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    edited November 2017
    @Meggles Congrats! Oolie's simself is too adorable - just like the real life version :smile:
    CathyTea wrote: »
    @Meggles ! Congratulations ! So happy that Oolie is famous ! (And you are, too!)

@CharmingMaruska @CathyTea Looool, thank you! Oolie should be a social media pet star! :lol:
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

don't start trouble i told you why i posted the squirrel pic. : >:)

LOL! That's us, sis! :D

i know .

but we don't hit.
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Meggles wrote: »

@CharmingMaruska @CathyTea Looool, thank you! Oolie should be a social media pet star! :lol:

you forgot the night shirt. then its truly ollie.

but its cute.
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member

I believe 2 are simselves from the community and 2 are simgurus. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Joseph runs out of male simselves!

I wondered that too, @Karilan. Do you want exclusive Simselves, @LegacySims2017? In the future, if you get in a jam, I could create a male Sim for you. Maybe a Simself of my husband... haha. I have one in TS3.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    How do other people write their character growth? I need my character Molpe to stay calm and deal with what she has to do, but she hated doing so last time, to the point where she was almost not speaking.

@lilypadmeulin Great question. I tend to let it happen naturally. And it's natural to grow and slip back a little before growing some more. However, I typically have a character engage in a conversation with someone to get the person to ask questions, to face their doubts and fears, and realize truths. Typically, this other someone is a mentor, parental figure, or close friend (sometimes even a love interest if appropriate). The goal is to help a character see themselves, someone else, or a situation in a new light on order to mature and make healthier, wiser choices. Hope that helps.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest

Another question: Do you prefer to let the reader's find out before the characters (about a detail/secret/ insert anything that could be revealed) or at the same time as the characters?

@Bugsie2016 I tend to reveal little things maybe via picture only, but usually I reveal things with the characters mostly because this gives me wiggle room in case I need to change something. Or I am still figuring out details when I publish. Or I really really like suspense. :D

However, I've seen this kind of thing done well with frame stories. You know the "whodunnit" but you don't know the why until the end of the story. Then it could work in your favor to reveal details earlier to the readers than the characters. I'm trying to think of a good Simlit example of this, and I'm drawing a blank so if anyone knows of one, feel free to help me out. Chaucer's Canterbury Tales are an example of a frame story, or Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Or the movie Inception is a good example. The trick is to keep the reader guessing and engaged.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest

@Bugsie2016 I tend to reveal little things maybe via picture only, but usually I reveal things with the characters mostly because this gives me wiggle room in case I need to change something. Or I am still figuring out details when I publish. Or I really really like suspense. :D

However, I've seen this kind of thing done well with frame stories. You know the "whodunnit" but you don't know the why until the end of the story. Then it could work in your favor to reveal details earlier to the readers than the characters. I'm trying to think of a good Simlit example of this, and I'm drawing a blank so if anyone knows of one, feel free to help me out. Chaucer's Canterbury Tales are an example of a frame story, or Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Or the movie Inception is a good example. The trick is to keep the reader guessing and engaged.

@AdamsEve1231 Fortunately, I already know what the detail is and it's a mystery that @simscognito is currently trying to figure out (latest theory was hilarious btw). I'm thinking of either going with one of two plans:
    A wordless skip of time ended with some form of link into discovering (in this case) the identity of said character. (I'm thinking this one right now)

Or I reveal who the identity first then wordless time skip chapter and trying to resolve what happens at the ending.

I'm staying vague because it's an important secret that only I know and it's also been planned since before I published the first chapter back in September.
  • LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member
    edited November 2017

I believe 2 are simselves from the community and 2 are simgurus. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Joseph runs out of male simselves!

I wondered that too, @Karilan. Do you want exclusive Simselves, @LegacySims2017? In the future, if you get in a jam, I could create a male Sim for you. Maybe a Simself of my husband... haha. I have one in TS3.

I have enough. I stalked a lot of members. :grimace:

I just don't have enough SimLit writer sim selfies for dudes. But that may draw the ones I do use that aren't part of our group to us. :smile:
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    NLdV7EF.png

Cam and Karlee get to hold some nooboos in chapter 16!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    Congrats on the feature @Meggles !

@Bugsie2016 I don't know why it was doing it, but it kept trying to force me to tag you all last night when I was editing the Malpractice post haha
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison

@Bugsie2016 I don't know why it was doing it, but it kept trying to force me to tag you all last night when I was editing the Malpractice post haha

Oh, I have this happen all the time in the forums! If I have a post that includes lots of tagged people (like the Reading Circles index) then sometimes the system gets hung-up on one of the tagged names, and I asking me to keep tagging the one it's stuck on! It's really annoying!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    So, interesting question for those of you familiar with Tony Corleonesi
    What type of dog breed would you say he is?

I ask because we (@simscognito and I) are having a discussion on it over in my WAWRMO thread (slow week and theories got crazy involving Tony's son :D ) and I want to know what you all think.
    @Bugsie2016

I totally imagine him as a rottweiler:

Rottweiler-Puppy-Information-Training-2.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

A-Rottweiler-sitting-down-with-his-tongue-out.jpg

• simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    edited November 2017
    @CathyTea wow, look at those fangs! :D
    The dog actually has Tony's eyes, though, sort of.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top