Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    edited November 2017
    @friendsfan367 Yes. I mean, I am partial to thrillers, so I might not be the best source of material. :D
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    So this is random but...
    I only miss one thing about gen 2 now I think about it. And that is the beautiful relationship that was McKlaude. Hence why in my C &
    D test save I have a version of them still together with Rye (as a teen).
    I have a question that isn't really just a general discussion question:
    How do you plan picture only chapters?

I have one coming up but I can't figure out how you plan one of those and i'm curious how other people do it.
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    noel and lauren are funny. rather than get free fruitcake they decied to whoo.
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »

I have one coming up but I can't figure out how you plan one of those and i'm curious how other people do it.

@CitizenErased14 did a FANTASTIC picture only chapter recently.

I'm thinking about showing Blossom's dreams as picture only chapters. When planning it out, I think about the pace of the chapter and how I want people to feel about the images. Some images are just to carry the flow of the action that's happening, and others are to deliver a punch.
    I think the important thing is to make sure it's clear how you get from 1 image to another, whether it's directly showing a character moving or it's jumping to a new scene.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
    i have exactly1 pic. then noel and lauren got naked so i couldn't take more.
    Karilan wrote: »

@CitizenErased14 did a FANTASTIC picture only chapter recently.

I'm thinking about showing Blossom's dreams as picture only chapters. When planning it out, I think about the pace of the chapter and how I want people to feel about the images. Some images are just to carry the flow of the action that's happening, and others are to deliver a punch.
    I think the important thing is to make sure it's clear how you get from 1 image to another, whether it's directly showing a character moving or it's jumping to a new scene.

I read that chapter, it was great. Thanks for the advice. I'm working on it...slowly as it's Monday and brain is fried (as usual for a Monday).
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member

My advice: DON'T DO IT

:joy:

No, but seriously. It's so much work. :bawling:

Usually I first come up with the overall "story"/flow of the chapter. I make a list via bullet points. Then I go to each bullet point and break that down further into specific shots of the scene.

Like, to use my recent Erik chapter as an example, I started with something like this:
    - Erik as a toddler (rough beginning)
    - Erik as a child (working hard at school, mother tired and works a lot)
    etc

Then I'd go to the toddler part and think "Okay, how do I wanna portray this?" and then picture it like a movie montage in my head haha. :)
    snvAF3B.png

Usually I first come up with the overall "story"/flow of the chapter. I make a list via bullet points. Then I go to each bullet point and break that down further into specific shots of the scene.

Like, to use my recent Erik chapter as an example, I started with something like this:
    etc

Then I'd go to the toddler part and think "Okay, how do I wanna portray this?" and then picture it like a movie montage in my head haha. :)

its a lot of work if your a self proclaimed perfectionist. :)

etc

Maybe create a storyboard, like you do when you're making a short film.

etc

citizen is the perfectionist i just throw things together.

etc

citizen is the perfectionist i just throw things together.

:D well both strategies can work just fine.
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    I've been turning to more wordless segments but not full chapters. I don't have the planning skills of @CitizenErased14 so I just know the general thing that's gonna happen (like "Thu passes out and Anthony saves her" or a future "Thu and Andrea get married") and I wing it once I'm in the game.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr

etc

Well, looks like BL is getting put aside for a while. (It's not for BL surprisingly :D ).
    I have hours to kill on Friday and I already have some screenshots done for one section. Did I mention I don't use poses a lot? I'm super lazy but I think I might have to this time. :#

Fun Fact: Out of my last one of these types of chapters I wrote (well kinda it has some song lyrics), I only took 9 of them for this chapter, the rest are ones I already had. BTW it's my fave chapter because I can read it without going 'why on earth did I write that' cause there's no writing. :joy:
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    I've been turning to more wordless segments but not full chapters. I don't have the planning skills of @CitizenErased14 so I just know the general thing that's gonna happen (like "Thu passes out and Anthony saves her" or a future "Thu and Andrea get married") and I wing it once I'm in the game.

Sounds like a plan, it's something i've done before but with it being the first one in this story i'm not risking it.

Now I need to make a decision on when to reveal a certain something in the story. (Trust me this story has it's own hidden story i've only lightly touched on. Actually, I might as well say it's for WAWRMO and it's about the identity of a character.)

Another question: Do you prefer to let the reader's find out before the characters (about a detail/secret/ insert anything that could be revealed) or at the same time as the characters?
    Another question: Do you prefer to let the reader's find out before the characters (about a detail/secret/ insert anything that could be revealed) or at the same time as the characters?

Hmmm good question! As much as I love cliff hangers I think I prefer for the reader to find out before the character.

In Grace, I was so excited for the moment that people found out the secret about Brooke. And the reader and characters sort of found out at the same time? Veer suspected something was going on, but few readers picked up on the same suspicion.

In contrast, in Pine Point I follow the story from two different perspectives and it can be a TON of fun for the reader to know more than any of the characters to. The knowledge that the characters keep missing each other so closely helps raise tension and interest.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
    @Bugsie2016 I'm having a hilarious problem right now. Every time I try to tag someone in a post it's forcing me to tag you instead. Can you please stop hacking my computer? :joy:
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    @Bugsie2016 I'm having a hilarious problem right now. Every time I try to tag someone in a post it's forcing me to tag you instead. Can you please stop hacking my computer? :joy:

you can't pick on bugsie . because bugsie was sweet and fixed my mod.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    edited November 2017

etc

Well, looks like BL is getting put aside for a while. (It's not for BL surprisingly :D ).
    I have hours to kill on Friday and I already have some screenshots done for one section. Did I mention I don't use poses a lot? I'm super lazy but I think I might have to this time. :#

Fun Fact: Out of my last one of these types of chapters I wrote (well kinda it has some song lyrics), I only took 9 of them for this chapter, the rest are ones I already had. BTW it's my fave chapter because I can read it without going 'why on earth did I write that' cause there's no writing. :joy:

Sounds like a plan, it's something i've done before but with it being the first one in this story i'm not risking it.

Now I need to make a decision on when to reveal a certain something in the story. (Trust me this story has it's own hidden story i've only lightly touched on. Actually, I might as well say it's for WAWRMO and it's about the identity of a character.)

more or less the same time as my characters the only exception will be a future chapter which Jane will be unconscious and HAM her twin will have to figure out what happened-and the majority of witnesses of Jane's accident are the people who were responsible for HAM back when they're all 15 attempting the S word.

I don't really have wordless chapters only song chapters
    6adMCGP.gif

etc

well during my first bender attempt ayden revenge cheatedand had a love child.
    @Acarb90: Lame. :( Especially losing days to mod woes!

i did too but i must have whined enough bugsie fixed it,

last time i whined that much was at work . they would buy donughts and i never got one. that worked too.
    #BUILDNEWCREST CHALLENGE: SIMSELF LEGACY EDITION

- Introduction to Generation 2 (Coming November 27th)

And we have a new heir for the Generation 2 Simself Legacy family. Joseph will announce to the family on Day 46 that Jubilee will be the heir to run the family Legacy. It was a close race as Jubilee had 4 votes more than Hope did.

Build_Newcrest_2-1.png?w=800

i know one is ju ju but who are the others in this pic.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member

And we have a new heir for the Generation 2 Simself Legacy family. Joseph will announce to the family on Day 46 that Jubilee will be the heir to run the family Legacy. It was a close race as Jubilee had 4 votes more than Hope did.

her boyfriends?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • msbeckycatmsbeckycat Posts: 3,445 Member
    I like everyone's updates. Listening to music while playing sims. 5 chapters are up.

I believe 2 are simselves from the community and 2 are simgurus. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Joseph runs out of male simselves!
    D2vFwMN.jpg

I believe 2 are simselves from the community and 2 are simgurus. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Joseph runs out of male simselves!

theres probably a never ending supply since everyone seems to love the simself family.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top