Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there any way to cure your pets fears?

Don't get me wrong, I like the fears and obsessions that came with the pack but there are some fears of objects that are just necessary in the home and are used frequently. It's pretty inconvenient to just ban that object from the house completely, so is there a way to cure your pets fear? Does just calming your pet when it gets scared help to eventually rid it of the fear?

Comments

• That1Guy352That1Guy352 Posts: 43 Member
    Right??? Like my pets are afraid of the tv and computer... i tried putting it into another room but still...theyre scared of them. I hate that so much! I am looking to see if there is anything to make them stop it. if i find something I will tell you
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I've not seen anything. Which is a shame. The option to calm pet down doesn't do much. It would be nice if we could help cats and dogs over come their fears.
  • samemiesamemie Posts: 1,623 Member
    I've not seen anything. Which is a shame. The option to calm pet down doesn't do much. It would be nice if we could help cats and dogs over come their fears.

I second that.
  • QueenEcheveriaQueenEcheveria Posts: 61 Member
    I’ve had this happen to me. I just made a fuss of them and eventually they over came it.
    pouladb96c2.png
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I'm relatively sure one of my dogs overcame his fear of the television after frequently calming them down. But I'd have to reenter the household and check for sure. Can do that later today/tomorrow
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    I've never really tried to fix it to calm them down. My sim's kitten is afraid of the computer and stove. :D But I just ignore it.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • CoteDAzurCoteDAzur Posts: 610 Member
    I never move the objects, I just calm the dog down while he's still in the room with the object and then he's fine for a few days :)
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Once someone eventually discovers the cheat codes, there will be a way to remove a fear. Otherwise, there’s no in-game way to remove fears and obsesssions....it’s part of what makes the pets unique.

What I did with a cat who was afraid of the computer is just lock the door in the room where the computer is to all cats so she never had to come near the computer again. Same thing with a dog afraid of the toilet....I just locked the bathroom doors to dogs. Much harder though when it’s something like a TV and you’re dealing with the open space of a living room....locking doors won’t help there.
  • JRBearJRBear Posts: 190 Member
    I think that the fear should come into play when the object is being used/making noise or something, not every time it's seen, personally.

But aside from that, a way to comfort them so the mood isn't there all the time would be nice, especially since we can't see needs to be sure the bad mood isn't also caused by something else.
  • JRBearJRBear Posts: 190 Member
    Also, I heard it was 14 days for the vet fear? That is waaaaaay too long in sims time.
  • TheSimsBoi13TheSimsBoi13 Posts: 810 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    I've never really tried to fix it to calm them down. My sim's kitten is afraid of the computer and stove. :D But I just ignore it.

I ignore their fears as well. Don’t like the TV? Oh well. Don’t like the oven? Oh well. A Sim’s gotta eat and a Sim’s gotta have fun.
    Check out my tumblr @ http://www.thesimsboi.tumblr.com

Origin ID: TheSimsBoi13
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/TheSimsBoi
    @missmeso @SimTrippy That's really handy to know if that is how it works, so thanks :)
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited November 2017
    Sounds like a great feature absolutely demolished by overzealous possibilities and overzealous AI acting out the fear too much.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
    Sounds like a great feature absolutely demolished by overzealous possibilities and overzealous AI acting out the fear too much.

To a certain extent, but I do like the feature I just wasn't sure if calming the pet made a difference but it seems that it might do. I was just worried that there was nothing you could do about it.
  • gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    I have a vet Sim with a fox and raccoon (recently added a Saint Bernard). The fox had a fear of the vacuum. I calm it down every time I could..in a short time there was not the option to calm down, but the fox stopped shaking and just had a no vacuum bubble. It had 100 % relationship with owner. The raccoon had zero fears to date.
  • LeiaLeia Posts: 61 Member
    I am just looking forward to a mod which will remove pets' fears and that's it... I ignore it for the time being but it's very bothersome. They just fear way too many things and can't get rid of those fears :(
  • sheronparrissheronparris Posts: 64 Member
    It could also be your computers. Higher End Graphics Cards lead to better game play. I've had the fear thing come up, but it's never been this long as some of you are saying. You just go and calm the pet down, no need to put items into other rooms (unless you really want to). In real life animals are scared of things that seem 'ordinary' to us (such as my 2 year old Husky being scared of loud noises).

I love that they added it into the game, and in my game the only time my animals are scared of things is when the toilet flushes or the shower is used or the TV is turned on (which signifies loud noises or noises that can startle animals and some people). It adds a world of realism to the game, imo.
    'World of realism to the game'? ... Woah, wait a moment. A dog being so afraid of a -normal- household item in the adulthood means only that it was either abused or not raised correctly (not exposed to those things at a young age to realize they don't mean any harm). It's definitely not the world of realism except if you wished for a world of overly frightened dogs that can't be calmed down and 'trained' to get used to a certain object even if they show fear towards it in beginning.
  • ThatGreenChickenThatGreenChicken Posts: 6 New Member
    So this is something intresting I've found, I had a fireplace in my house and my fox was a bit scared if it but later on my fireplace started a fire in the house, my sim put it out but now my fox seems to be really scared of it, even going so far as hiding under the sofa or avoiding the room all together.
  • sheronparrissheronparris Posts: 64 Member
    Leia wrote: »
    'World of realism to the game'? ... Woah, wait a moment. A dog being so afraid of a -normal- household item in the adulthood means only that it was either abused or not raised correctly (not exposed to those things at a young age to realize they don't mean any harm). It's definitely not the world of realism except if you wished for a world of overly frightened dogs that can't be calmed down and 'trained' to get used to a certain object even if they show fear towards it in beginning.

If you read my post i meant it added a “world of realism” to the game in that the animals in my game only react to things that have just been turned on (the toilet flushing, the tv being turned on etc.). And as it’s a game, there’s no talk of abuse? So unless you’re implying my real life dog was abused as a child, i don’t see the point of mentioning that?
    > @sheronparris said:
    > Leia wrote: »
    >
    > 'World of realism to the game'? ... Woah, wait a moment. A dog being so afraid of a -normal- household item in the adulthood means only that it was either abused or not raised correctly (not exposed to those things at a young age to realize they don't mean any harm). It's definitely not the world of realism except if you wished for a world of overly frightened dogs that can't be calmed down and 'trained' to get used to a certain object even if they show fear towards it in beginning.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > If you read my post i meant it added a “world of realism” to the game in that the animals in my game only react to things that have just been turned on (the toilet flushing, the tv being turned on etc.). And as it’s a game, there’s no talk of abuse? So unless you’re implying my real life dog was abused as a child, i don’t see the point of mentioning that?

First, I definitely wasn't implying on your real life dog being abused. I didn't even know you own a dog.
    My point was... It is okay that animals react to things like flushing toilet, dishwasher etc. but not with such consistent, unavoidable fear. Also, usually in real life you can train an animal to stop being afraid or something.
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Get rid of the pet = no more fears \o/
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • rudolpharudolpha Posts: 997 Member
    I wish there was a clear way to train the pets out of fears. Calming them only seems to work for about one day... But I'm having fun actually rearranging my homes so they don't have to interact with their fears, although I will avoid the skittish/jumpy pets from now on as they seem to have more fears than most pets.
  • SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    It could also be your computers. Higher End Graphics Cards lead to better game play. I've had the fear thing come up, but it's never been this long as some of you are saying. You just go and calm the pet down, no need to put items into other rooms (unless you really want to). In real life animals are scared of things that seem 'ordinary' to us (such as my 2 year old Husky being scared of loud noises).

I love that they added it into the game, and in my game the only time my animals are scared of things is when the toilet flushes or the shower is used or the TV is turned on (which signifies loud noises or noises that can startle animals and some people). It adds a world of realism to the game, imo.

Type of hardware will not change any of what you are responding. It can change PERFORMANCE as in lag, stutter, frame rate drops, etc.....but it will not change actual gameplay of a game.......
  • TaliferinaTaliferina Posts: 46 Member
    Oh I... honestly never tried to calm them down once they had their fear. I just sort of went 'poor baby' and moved on. Oops.

To be fair, the AI is so ridiculously ???? right now, what animal in their right mind will go TOWARDS the object they're afraid of just to whine at it and then cower. Especially when the object is in another room and they're happily minding their own business in another.

If they toned that down a little or changed it, it'd be better IMO. Turn on the TV and instead of whining/cowering, the animal promptly gets up and high tails it into another room.
    0sCPiZh.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top