March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA it's time you start doing something about the entitled cc creators in the Sims community!

13...Next

Comments

• FalyniosFalynios Posts: 298 Member
    edited November 2017
    I'm just going to leave this here, I'm sleepy and have work soon, I didn't know i got more answers already:
    -snip-

None of this applies to custom content because custom content is not created with, uploaded or shared "on an EA Service"
    The only thing this really applies to (for the sims game, at least) is gallery content.
    And just how do you know this? For one, I believe I know which mod you mean. I have to say, the mods can be downloaded for FREE. So, if he's getting paid by anyone, he's certainly sharing the mods with those of us who choose to use them. And, he's very quick to update them, too. You're making a very serious allegation, sir.

it's not really an allegation. You can look on his patreon and see how many patrons he has.
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited November 2017
    Falynios wrote: »
    I'm just going to leave this here, I'm sleepy and have work soon, I didn't know i got more answers already:
    -snip-

None of this applies to custom content because custom content is not created with, uploaded or shared "on an EA Service"
    The only thing this really applies to (for the sims game, at least) is gallery content.

It does, CC is made for the sims, who owns the sims? EA. Which means every piece of content they make belongs to EA rightfully so.
    giphy.gif

• mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    edited November 2017
    And just how do you know this? For one, I believe I know which mod you mean. I have to say, the mods can be downloaded for FREE. So, if he's getting paid by anyone, he's certainly sharing the mods with those of us who choose to use them. And, he's very quick to update them, too. You're making a very serious allegation, sir.

You can freely check how much any creator is making on patreon. That being said, patreon is a donation service, so this is how much people choose to donate to him. If they want they can stop and not donate to him the next month.

I'm a real world programmer and I live on peanuts. However I have the comfort of a stable paycheck where I only need to utilize the languages that I know and I get to get involved with building products from ground up, meaning I don't need to reverse engineer an already made product, inject my code into it and always live with the possibility that it can break the next update after.

I also respect moders more than I do let's players (I run a for fun let's play channel and while I know how much editing, rendering and the likes takes, on top of writing up the jokes if you're a big channel, however it's essentially just selling your own charisma - similar to modeling. You don't need to have real skill, you just have to be charming enough). I do not see why the guy that spent enough time learning how to sufficiently inject code into The Sims 4, learning to model, learning to make animations should not be allowed to collect donations for his work.
    It does, CC is made for the sims, who owns the sims? EA. Which means every piece of content they make belongs to EA rightfully so.

That EULA applies to uploading to gallery only. It's not illegal to make and charge CC as you're in no way getting in the way of EA's business, if anything you're promoting it, because you need to own The Sims to be able to buy The Sims CC. This is also not a new practice, The Sims 1 CC even came packaged in game boxes and distributed in stores (I kid you not) (google The Sims: That's Life).
  • AeyellaAeyella Posts: 26 Member
    lol i always think it's a little funny when people are like "you can't charge for cc. you don't own that, EA owns it". Yall know yall don't care if EA is getting played or not lol. Even EA themself don't care or they would do something about it. Yet when CC "creators" just take paid content and literally do nothing to it except maybe recolor it and make it basegame, you don't see anyone complaining about that (as long as it's free!!!), right?? Lmao I just can't sometimes...
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    The guy who makes “the Sims mod we cannot mention by name on this forum” is making over $10,000/month with Patreon.

$10,000 people. Let that sink in.

Outrageous!

Lol it’s showinng clear as day on his Patreon Page. I don’t have the time or energy to “make things up”. I saw it when his main website was down for maintenance last week and so every update was being posted on his Patreon page just like it was on MCCC and LittleMsSam recently as well.

I do think some Patreon pages have it hidden but it was showing on his. And the number was over $10,000. Don’t quote me but I think MCCC creator is making about $3,000/month from what I recall from last week.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I've never really understood why this bothers people. What's the difference between you not paying for the CC and the creator simply not making it? Either way you just won't get to use it.

As for the legality of it, frankly I don't know whether it's legal or not but if EA isn't doing anything about it why should anyone else care? To me, if modders, youtubers, and streamers can use the game to make a hefty salary (mind you, these are all things one could consider "hobbies" as well) I see no reason why custom content makers should have to just sit on the sidelines.

Me personally? I'd never ever pay for CC. So I don't. In my mind it's really that simple. If anything it should make people more appreciative of the creators who actually use a lot of their time to push out high quality content (not just random recolors to gain tumblr followers, but that's another story for another day) for free.

The TSO and other EULAs say you can't charge for items created by Maxis and published by EA. It's against the law, period. But EA has supported/promoted and interviewed and promoted those interviews with sites and creators who do. TSR is a fine example. They paid Youtubers to review their games for years...it's a travesty of justice and hypocritical EA business practice. Say one thing, and do another, on the down lo.

Maybe EA won’t start caring until modders start giving away free copies of Sims 4 with every new mod made lol like I think that’s what’s stoppjng them from acting.
    EA%2BUser%2BAgreement%2BSec%2B5%2Bpar%2B5.jpg[img][/img]

Exactly! I think someone should make a Tumblr or a website or something and just start giving away all these mods and CC being hidden by paywalls.

What can the creator do about it? It says clearly it can be distributed at will.
    edited November 2017
    Goth583 wrote: »
    The guy who makes “the Sims mod we cannot mention by name on this forum” is making over $10,000/month with Patreon.

$10,000 people. Let that sink in.

Outrageous!

I have that mod and its hilarious that people pay for it when it gets released for free usually within weeks. Its insane to me that someone can make over $10K on a mod, especially when it gets released for FREE. The people to be mad at are the ones who pay. This guy made an awesome mod, but the people paying him are funding his very comfortable livelihood.

I think if you “donate” you can give him ideas on what you want to see next or something like that. When I did the math, it averaged out to a little over 2,000 people giving him $4-5/month.

I also noticed sometimes his public releases are buggy and if you tell him he will just tell you to wait a month for the next one. Well if you don’t want to wait you could “donate” and get the more advanced version. People are impatient lol
  • PolluxSimsPolluxSims Posts: 318 Member
    EA%2BUser%2BAgreement%2BSec%2B5%2Bpar%2B5.jpg[img][/img]

Exactly! I think someone should make a Tumblr or a website or something and just start giving away all these mods and CC being hidden by paywalls.

What can the creator do about it? It says clearly it can be distributed at will.

I get why people would see that as being some kind of "justice," but that'd just lead to people taking free CC and hiding it behind a paysite as retaliation; neither of those things is right to do :/
    Read my Sawyer Legacy Simlit on Wordpress
    - Origin ID: PolluxSims -
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top