Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

giving up a pet for adoption

my dogs have bred and there are too many puppies to manage. I put one up for the rescue and I thought that one of my other sims would be able to adopt it when I gave it up. The sim from another household went to adopt a puppy and the puppy I gave up is not there. Is this like adoption with the children? I had one child removed from the home and another family was going to adopt her but she wasn't there for adoption....I don't understand why we were able to do this in The Sims 2 but not in the Sims 4. Another thing I was wondering is if we can sell our puppies and kittens to neighbors, or if we can give them away to neighbors. I find it strange that if our pets breed we can no longer adopt away the offspring.

Comments

• KHS12KHS12 Posts: 3,023 Member
    I am not 100% sure why they don't show up, but as an alternative, you could move the puppies you don't want to keep in to another household in the same world....Just for a temporary fix, and then later you can place them wherever you'd like.
  • fairymama47fairymama47 Posts: 180 Member
    thanks for the idea KHS12 but I just really wish they had given us the ability to rescue and adopt out puppies and kittens, you would think it would be built into the game. I had dreams of opening a pet shelter or cat cafe. Once again I am disappointed like I was with Restaurants.
  • That1Guy352That1Guy352 Posts: 43 Member
    @fairymama47 did your pets breed on their own? cause my cats did without me telling them to... and i sold the kitten. and thats a good idea that that KHS12 gave. I agree with you though, I wush they had that option in the game cause a cat cafe or pet shelter sounds like a really good and fun idea
    yes, they bred on their own, the puppies were very cute and I was hoping that when I gave one up my neighbor would be able to adopt it. The puppy just disappeared completely and to make it even sadder the owners became very sad and upset.
  • SimsweetieSimsweetie Posts: 562 Member
    If you sell the puppies/kittens the owners aren't upset. But I don't know if they can then be bought by someone else or not.
    how do you sell them? the only option I saw on the phone was to give up for adoption...hope there is a better way.
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    how do you sell them? the only option I saw on the phone was to give up for adoption...hope there is a better way.

Try at the flea market :smiley:
    Does the fleamarket work?
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    No I was Joking. But "The flea market to sell puppies", that simply was too tempting :smiley:
    lol, darn it.
  • CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    Simsweetie wrote: »
    If you sell the puppies/kittens the owners aren't upset. But I don't know if they can then be bought by someone else or not.

I sold my puppy that my sim had and my sim was depressed for 24 hours. It was so sad
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    I guess it's a bit like when your offspring get taken away for neglect. The game just deletes them. Which is rather sad. It surely wouldn't be too difficult to add them to the adoption pool?
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Cheekybits wrote: »
    Simsweetie wrote: »

I sold my puppy that my sim had and my sim was depressed for 24 hours. It was so sad

Yep, they can definitely get the sad moodlet if puppies/kittens are sold rather than given up for adoption.
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    When you give away or sell a pet, you can't pick who it goes to but they don't automatically get deleted from the game. When I was testing this stuff out, I gave away the family's cat and she ended up in her own nameless household:

d9QkKTf.jpg

She didn't show up in the adoption list....although those lists change each time....so I don't know if she eventually would have ended up in the list. I kept an eye out for her wandering around BB too but didn't see her and I didn't play it much longer before resetting to test more stuff.

You can definitely send them to other households through the household management screen....although the transfer of "ownership" within the game seems to be a little wonky right now if you do that.
    I really wish they would just build this stuff into the game without complicated workarounds. The adoption system is janky. I don't understand why we can't adopt out children and pets into already existing households like in the SIms 2.
  • littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    if you put them up for adoption, you'll need to switch households afterward to the one you want to adopt them. otherwise the selection pool refreshes and yours won't be there. based on my experience anyway.
    6riwm5.png
  • Cyber_SimzCyber_Simz Posts: 1 New Member
    Help I adopted a stray dog and i wanna give her up for adoption and she is an adult, can i still put her up for adoption?
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    I would never give up pets I would keep them instead
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Bananacupcake1Bananacupcake1 Posts: 60 Member
    Just move them between households in manage worlds. I am so attached to my sims pets I felt horrible if i gave one up for adoption haha. However, once a pet is put up for adoption, another one of your playable sims can adopt it. Either way, not the end of the world, the pet should not be deleted from the game unless you choose to delete it in CAS or something :)
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    I learned that sims become Very Sad simply from watching another sim give up a pet for adoption. They do not even have to be in the same household, just witness the process.

The sim I was playing had befriended the premade cat lady's kitten during a visit. So I switched to the cat lady to gift the kitten to my sim. Turned out there was no option to directly transfer the kitten and I had to give it up for adoption. Next thing I did was switching back to my original sim and she had the Very Sad moodlet from a pet given away. I had her return home, call the adoption agency asap, the kitten I had just adopted out was in the pool of adoptees just fine (though I had to re-introduce myself to him) and joined my household before the sad moodlet ran out. My sim didn't have any animal-related trait, b.t.w.
  • Neko_waNeko_wa Posts: 5 New Member
    I have a big problem. My sim had a cat but recently got pregnant so I decided to put the cat up for adoption. Since than, the cat is still in my sims house but I can't travel, go into build mode or go into CAS. Worst of all, I can't save. I don't know what to do.
  • Kitcatcait123_Kitcatcait123_ Posts: 1 New Member
    > @Cheekybits said:
    > Simsweetie wrote: »
    >
    > If you sell the puppies/kittens the owners aren't upset. But I don't know if they can then be bought by someone else or not.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I sold my puppy that my sim had and my sim was depressed for 24 hours. It was so sad

Same, I want it back though, because I put it up for adoption while I had the toddler, and was going to adopt it, but I can't adopt it because it doesn't show p.s: No, I checked, no one has adopted them.