Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Graphics

Does anyone ever use the optimize setting on their graphics card? Also, how do you play with rendering off?! It literally kills me! I HATE the look of it!

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Are we talking about the Optimize command in GeForce Experience by any chance? That one will make a mess of older games like TS3. It is best to never be used. There is a button somewhere to the right (I don't have Nvidia so can't share a screenshot myself) to undo the optimization if you have already engaged it.

Or are we talking about something else...?

The only time I've played with Advance Rendering off (on purpose) would be for a few minutes at a time while attempting to run the game with as few resources as possible to help troubleshoot a travel transition or some other unrelated glitch. No, the game is not at all pretty running that way.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    monjr8302monjr8302 Posts: 256 Member
    Yes, it is GeForce Experience. I did optimize it, but I think I can undo it once I start messing with the options in game.
  • Options
    Why is it not good for it?
  • Options
    Is it ok to keep updating that driver?
  • Options
    monjr8302 wrote: »
    Why is it not good for it?
    Because it doesn't work. I know that's a silly answer, but perhaps you could have a chat with Nvidia about it (not that anything they say will make any better sense either).

GeForce Experience is not required to manage or use an Nvidia card. If you have good results with it, then great but many of us (if we had Nvidia cards) would rather manage without it. The optimization is known to interfere with in-game graphics settings and even fps limiting. I wouldn't want any kind of automated control over my AMD card either.

The best place to get device driver updates, for hardware that came with the computer anyway, would be the computer manufacturer. If that's not feasible, then sure the manufacturer of the card but it doesn't have to be some kind of special automated procedure that thinks it knows what is best for the users and then often gets it all wrong.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    NVIDIA came with my computer, so I've just updated it through that. It appears that I have not updated in a few years (oops) & when I did the other day, it updated it to GeForce Experience. I'm not sure if I should restore to the previous NVIDIA from years ago, or just continue with what I have now. I have to now manually look for my NVIDIA control panel. It says vsync is still on & I've tested it in game & my fps does not go above 60. I did find a previous backup that I did before I updated my driver & replaced the new options folder in Sims 3 to the backup! Haven't had issues since! So, I will not be optimizing again!!!!
  • Options
    It's usually best to have the latest drivers feasible so as to keep things "in sync" with operating system (Windows) updates. Sometimes this backfires, depending on the source of the driver updates, but if things appear to be working they way they should in-game and the fps rates are staying capped, then there is likely no reason to change anything further (for now). :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Hello, Nvidia user here. A bit late to the thread. ;)

You can keep GeForce Experience installed if you have a use for it (optimizing newer games or perhaps the Nvidia shield tablet). I replied to you in the other thread how to revert back but I can repeat it here just in case. *click the spoiler
    On the home screen, you should see Games. Hover over The Sims 3 and click Details. If you have the game optimized, you will see a revert button. It will look like this:
    35947884874_85b0bc40df_b.jpg

It is a good idea to have your graphics driver up to date and if problems do occur, you can always jump back a few to see if it works out better. Having a driver several years old is likely to cause issues for newer games if you play any of those. For desktop, it's best to go to the Nvidia website for driver updates and for laptop, it's best to go to the manufacturer's website.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    I only play & have The Sims 3 downloaded on my PC. I use it for web surfing too, but mainly to play The Sims. All info has been extremely helpful! Thanks all!