Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

- Can my Mac run The Sims 4? Answers can be found here -

Comments

• Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    True. But until the EP is released, we still don't know what affects it will have on certain computers. 4GB won't run much of anything game wise these days (not just Sims, but other games as well).

I know. Most computers now have installed 8gb computer ram as the minimum. 4gb or less is for tablets or lower end machines for light computer tasks. Even some computers for light tasks still come with 8gb ram. My advice is have 16 gb for future proofing. There are some games out there that require 8gb ram just for the games and don't include the extra ram you need to run other programs on the computer while gaming. Mac is not designed to run those heavier games. I'm actually shocked by some of the game specs out there. You need a rocketship PC to run some of them

I know. I don't have a laptop at all and run on a Desktop iMac. I do play most of my other games on my PS4.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • SophiaBlissSophiaBliss Posts: 51 Member
    I have the 2017 MacBook Pro I'm not sure how to find the specs I'm just copying the description from Apple. I have most of the stuff, game and expansion packs and it seems to be running smoothly (minus a loud fan sound) will it run Cats and Dogs?

MacOS High Sierra
    2.8GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor
    Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
    16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
    256GB SSD storage1
  • minionlover2017minionlover2017 Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm debating on if I should buy the Sims 4 game + all expansion packs for my MacBook Pro. I'm planning on using my laptop for other productivity work as well as the game, and I hope to have this laptop for the next 4-5 years. Would the game reduce the life span of the laptop due to overheating?

Here are my current specs:
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2.5 GHz [2 cores]
    RAM: 16 GB
    SSD Hard Drive: 256 GB
    Graphics Card: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    ArtisticCE wrote: »
    I currently play TS4 on a 13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina (base model). I have all of the released EP's, two GP's, two SP's, and around 3GB of CC. My game runs smoothly with a little lag here and there on high settings with edge-smoothing and reflections sat to medium. Just as everyone else, I am a little worried that I will not be able to run the game anymore if I purchase and install Cats and Dogs in November due to the graphics card.

My specs are as followed:

Processor: 2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz)
    Memory: 8GB Ram
    Storage: 128GB PCIe-based flash storage
    Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics 6100
    Operating System - MacOS Sierra (latest MacOS)

Do you think with these specs, I will still be able to play TS4 on my MacBook? It works perfectly right now, like really well, but I currently only have around 40GB of flash storage left so that is also an issue along with the graphics card.

I may just have to invest in a gaming PC...

We have the same MBP model and DANG! I have my settings on low medium, how does it perform on high?
  • SandraagSandraag Posts: 1 New Member
    Will these iMac’s run the sims 4?

21.5-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display
    2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
    Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    1TB 5400-rpm hard drive; 1TB Fusion Drive; or 256GB SSD2

Or

21.5-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Retina 4K display
    3.0GHz or 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 or 3.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor
    Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
    1TB 5400-rpm hard drive; 1TB Fusion Drive; or up to 1TB SSD2

Copied it from Apple, I have no clue about stuff like this, and am debating on buying an iMac
  • puderosasimspuderosasims Posts: 522 Member
    edited November 2017
    Does anyone think the upcoming Cats & Dogs EP will cause some problems and lag? Because I heard The Sims 3: Pets did, and now I'm a little bit worried. :worried: I'm playing on a MacBook Pro at the moment, which runs the game wonderfully on high to ultra settings, even with all the packs installed. But I wonder how well it will take animals, a whole new life form. Here are my specs:

Model: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15', Mid 2014)
    Operating System: OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
    CPU: 2,5 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 16 GB RAM 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

I've grown used to the fantastic graphics and don't want to miss them anymore. :sweat_smile:
    Origin ID: puderosasims | Simblr
    English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.
    tumblr_n8pqhqmpdh1th4xn0o1_400.gif
  • SiSiSiSi Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi there! I would like to purchase Sims 4 but I'm not sure if I can on my macbook air..

Version 10.10.5
    Processor: 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited November 2017
    Does anyone think the upcoming Cats & Dogs EP will cause some problems and lag? Because I heard The Sims 3: Pets did, and now I'm a little bit worried. :worried: I'm playing on a MacBook Pro at the moment, which runs the game wonderfully on high to ultra settings, even with all the packs installed. But I wonder how well it will take animals, a whole new life form. Here are my specs:

Model: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15', Mid 2014)
    Operating System: OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
    CPU: 2,5 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 16 GB RAM 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

I've grown used to the fantastic graphics and don't want to miss them anymore. :sweat_smile:

Your Mac meets requirements to run the game with game add ons. No one knows what is in the EP or how it will effect a computer. Will you have to lower your game settings? No one knows. You will find out when you add it, if you choose to add it. You can always wait to add the EP until after the EP is released to see what kind of issues it has before you decide purchase the EP

@phoebebebe13 Okay, you're right. It's just that I've seen an other thread in which people were speculating about a possible lag, only regarding PCs, though. I also read somewhere they did up the requirements for the new EP, but without further information, so that is why I was asking. :smile:
    edited November 2017
    @daenerystubborn I am not seeing Mac section busy with new patch issues the way it's being reported in PC section . Right now the issue is the patch and the EP has not been added yet. I don't play on Mac but i can read your specs and you have good specs for this game as far as Mac goes. Hopefully Mac does not get hit with the issues we are seeing on PC
    @phoebebebe13 Thank you very much, you calmed me down a little. :sweat_smile: Let's just hope all these issues, on both Mac and PC, get fixed soon, some of them are really gamebreaking.
    @daenerystubborn your very welcome and I agree
  • southaltansouthaltan Posts: 152 Member
    The backlight in my macbook went out, and the logic board needs to be replaced. (after installed C&D).

I'm debating on purchasing a used one, and saving for the one i really want. ;)

I'm waiting to hear back from the seller but the computer is a 2012 15" Macbook pro
    2.3gh i7 processor
    500gb hd
    graphics: intel hd 4000 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
    4gb Ram, which i plan on upgrading to 16
    https://support.apple.com/kb/sp694?locale=en_US
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    southaltan wrote: »
    The backlight in my macbook went out, and the logic board needs to be replaced. (after installed C&D).

I'm debating on purchasing a used one, and saving for the one i really want. ;)

I'm waiting to hear back from the seller but the computer is a 2012 15" Macbook pro
    2.3gh i7 processor
    500gb hd
    graphics: intel hd 4000 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
    4gb Ram, which i plan on upgrading to 16
    https://support.apple.com/kb/sp694?locale=en_US

It's not great but it should be able to play on medium, high if you don't care about lag. This is because, unless the seller had it upgraded, that Mac has the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB VRAM. You will probably have to upgrade the NVIDIA driver manually to get the game to run, unless EA have now supported NVIDIA in El Capitan and later, as there were major issues with it. Definitely upgrade it to at least 8Gb RAM if you can although this won't be possible if it is the retina 15".

Do you have a link to the seller's Mac?
    apple-signature.png
  • southaltansouthaltan Posts: 152 Member
    Another one i was looking at —
    Upgraded 2011 13.3" Macbook Pro
    * 2.8GHz Core i7
    * 8GB Ram
    * 750GB Hard Drive
    * A fresh copy of macOS Sierra has been installed
    * The battery functions normally and does hold a charge (very low cycle count of 64)
    * A 60 watt charger is included
    * Cosmetically, this item is in excellent condition with very few signs of wear

Intel HD 3000 with 348mb of drr3 sdram
    southaltan wrote: »
    Another one i was looking at —
    Upgraded 2011 13.3" Macbook Pro
    * 2.8GHz Core i7
    * 8GB Ram
    * 750GB Hard Drive
    * A fresh copy of macOS Sierra has been installed
    * The battery functions normally and does hold a charge (very low cycle count of 64)
    * A 60 watt charger is included
    * Cosmetically, this item is in excellent condition with very few signs of wear

Intel HD 3000 with 348mb of drr3 sdram

I'd say no to that one as the Intel HD 3000 struggles with the game. The other one would perform better :)

apple-signature.png
  • superpurple1superpurple1 Posts: 187 Member
    edited November 2017
    So I'm thinking about getting into Sims 4 and buying most of the expansion packs. I just bought a new Macbook pro and I want to know if these specifications will allow me to play on medium or high settings without the computer burning up.

Processor
    2.0GHz dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz, with 4MB shared L3 cache

Storage1
    256GB

Memory
    8GB of 1866MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory

Graphics
    Intel Iris Graphics 540

Keyboard and Trackpad

Wireless
    Wi-Fi
    802.11ac Wi-Fi wireless networking; IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n compatible

Video Support
    Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:

One display with 5120-by-2880 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors
    Up to two displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion color

Thunderbolt 3 digital video output

Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
    VGA, HDMI, and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)
    So I'm thinking about getting into Sims 4 and buying most of the expansion packs. I just bought a new Macbook pro and I want to know if these specifications will allow me to play on medium or high settings without the computer burning up.

Processor
    2.0GHz dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz, with 4MB shared L3 cache

Storage1
    256GB

Memory

Graphics
    Intel Iris Graphics 540

Keyboard and Trackpad

Wireless
    Wi-Fi

Video Support
    Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:

The 13" MacBook Pros have dual core processors and integrated Intel graphics. You will be able to play but your Mac will get hot so make sure you elevate it so air can circulate underneath.

apple-signature.png

Processor

Storage1
    256GB

Memory

Graphics
    Intel Iris Graphics 540

Keyboard and Trackpad

Wireless
    Wi-Fi

Video Support

The 13" MacBook Pros have dual core processors and integrated Intel graphics. You will be able to play but your Mac will get hot so make sure you elevate it so air can circulate underneath.

@BluebellFlora just a curious question. Will the game run with all eps currently on the intel 520 card on Mac? I just had someone in the PC section with the 620 intel card that is having issues running the game with everything . i had to tell them they needed a new computer. They are at the point they can no loner run the game
  • GeorginaDangeloGeorginaDangelo Posts: 9 New Member
    Hi!

My graphics are sort of low in Sims 4 and they are all on the highest settings in the game options. I also wanted to know if I had a lot of space left to play?

I currently have MacOS Sierra (Version 10.12.6)
    and wanted to know if my computer can take Sims 4, and all the Mods I have.

For mods:
    5,742,585,186 bytes (5.75 GB on disk) for 2,105 items

My Mac is a:
    MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
    2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
    8 GB 1600 MHz DDr3
    Untitled Startup Disk
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

I have 249.77 GB left.
    @BluebellFlora just a curious question. Will the game run with all eps currently on the intel 520 card on Mac? I just had someone in the PC section with the 620 intel card that is having issues running the game with everything . i had to tell them they needed a new computer. They are at the point they can no loner run the game

No Macs have that chip but some do have the 530 and 540 and yes, people are able to play with all packs so far. Apple write the drivers for Macs, not Intel.

apple-signature.png
    Hi!

My graphics are sort of low in Sims 4 and they are all on the highest settings in the game options. I also wanted to know if I had a lot of space left to play?

I currently have MacOS Sierra (Version 10.12.6)
    and wanted to know if my computer can take Sims 4, and all the Mods I have.

For mods:
    5,742,585,186 bytes (5.75 GB on disk) for 2,105 items

My Mac is a:
    MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
    2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
    8 GB 1600 MHz DDr3
    Untitled Startup Disk
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

I have 249.77 GB left.

Yes, it will be fine.

apple-signature.png

No Macs have that chip but some do have the 530 and 540 and yes, people are able to play with all packs so far. Apple write the drivers for Macs, not Intel.

That's good that it will still work for Mac Thanks. Same cards on laptop have not been so lucky .

That's good that it will still work for Mac Thanks. Same cards on laptop have not been so lucky .

I'm referring to Mac laptops :)
    apple-signature.png