Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would like some advice on what packs to buy for building :)

NoreNore Posts: 236 Member
Hey guys! Like many of you I imagine, building is my absolute favourite part of the sims. I wondered if anyone could advise me on what expansion, game and stuff packs had the coolest new stuff for building. I have recently realised that I have been building with very little stuff haha.

In terms of expansion packs I don't have the new pets one or Get to Work and don't have any game or stuff packs except toddler stuff.

Specifically I'm looking for building options that are entirely new and open up build options (rather than just recolours or redesigns of existing stuff, like more tables, etc.). I'm also more interesting in build mode stuff than buy mode stuff. So for instance, if there was a pack that allowed spiral stairs or new roof ornaments or more window or door options or especially opening up entire new styles and new time periods (like ancient Greek or something) oh and new statues! I love statues (rather than just new tables or chairs or stuff like that).

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Link to my showcase thread: NoreKP Showcase

Link to a story I started: Chronicles of a Simki

Origin ID: NoreKP

Latest build: When Baroque Met Modern
4584899921fd5b78c0674fd01372085ee844519960c626fcee531895d7bd6d3af4b9e81c.jpg

Comments

• pronteruspronterus Posts: 2,166 Member
    edited November 2017
    These are my favorites:

Get Together: For castles, Euro-centric architecture
    City Living: For apartment interior design/urban items like billboards
    Vampires: For Gothic style architecture, castles, dark/dingy interior items
    Romantic Garden: Flowers, Greek-like statues and columns
    Dine Out: Restaurant interiors/modern walls and build items
  • misscbongmisscbong Posts: 736 Member
    ^ all of those are awesome.

I really enjoy the coastal themed items from the new Cats and Dogs expansion, too. LOVE my shingle style siding :)
  • MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    My favourite pack for building is the newly released Cats and Dogs. I haven't found any furniture or build mode items in it that I dislike. Get Together contains a lot of Tudor style items which is perfect for older more genuine builds and although I don't have Vampires I have seen a lot of it and it includes a lot of Victorian styled items and in particular a lot of roof decor items. If I had to recommend just one pack for building it would definitely be Cats and Dogs; it's opened up the game so much for me.
    tFU6JMe.png
  • NoreNore Posts: 236 Member
    Thank you for all the advice guys! Garden is definitely amazing, those statues were ideal for the older style builds!

@Moodbeamy Could you maybe explain a bit about what you mean by the new expansion opening up the game for you? I took a look at the items online for the new expansion but I'm not seeing anything that would allow for an all new build style, but maybe I'm not seeing it correctly?

What I mean to say is, I am searching for items that allow for building all new build styles/time periods that would otherwise not be feasible with current content. For instance, modern is simple enough with base game and feasible even if having stuff from outdoor patio or luxury stuff packs would make it better. But Tudor on the other hand seems impossible without Get Together. So I guess I'm wondering what build/time styles the different packs open up :)

• oXseashellXooXseashellXo Posts: 678 Member
    It all kind of depends on how much you are planning on spending total and what style builds you prefer. Some packs work better when paired with others.

My top recommendation is going to be out in left field - Spooky Stuff. It actually has very little in stuff that you can use in your builds. BUT it comes with weathered wall paneling and matching flooring that I use in almost all of my builds (when I don't use it, it's because I specifically forced myself not to). It also has a cool chevron carpet that is the only carpet I ever use. The fact that I use these materials so often makes the pack worth it for me (even if I almost never use the other items).

ss.jpg

In terms of grouping or pairing, I'd recommend something like this:

Get Together + Vampires (the combination of Tudor and Gothic styles makes these really work well together, if you're looking to add Cats & Dogs then you cam really get into Victorian style builds)

City Living + Restaurant + Spa Day (creates a good combination of modern items)

Parenthood + Kids Bedroom (you said you already have Toddler stuff. Kids bedroom is great for kids items and Parenthood has good kitchen and bathroom items. The living room furniture that came with it seemed kinda cheesy though)

If you're looking for stuff packs, they each have their own cool items

Vintage Glamour has a nice modern bed, sofa and coffee table. I also really like the lamp that came with the set.

Movie hangout has curtains that I use in almost every single build.

Fitness and Bowling both have good modern items (bowling has a bunch of random, unusable stuff, but some really great mid-century modern style seating)

So. I guess, I'd say, if you want modern, get packs with modern items, they will all build on each other and work together.
    If you want traditional / historic styles, get packs with that and they will work together also. If you get some packs with modern items and some packs with traditional items then they will compete against each other and won't mix very well. (you'll get less for your money)

@oXseashellXo Thanks for the advice! I understand what you mean. I guess my main style is old European styles, but I recently realised it is actually quite cool to try new time periods and styles. Does anyone know what periods the new expansion allows that wouldn't be feasible without it?

Budget-wise isn't too much of an issue, I just didn't want to buy something I was never going to use or that I felt wasn't worth it. Mainly, I am trying to allow for more styles of builds. For instance, I feel it is quite feasible to get an amazing modern/contemporary or colonial build with just the base game. The new packs do allow for more options but that doesn't mean they are necessary to accomplish those styles. Tudor on the other hand seems quite impossible without Get Together. So I guess mostly I'm wondering what styles are impossible without certain packs haha :)

• reanseihreanseih Posts: 265 Member
    edited November 2017
    Pets. Not that I have it yet either lmao.

Well depends on what style you like really. There’s a few I would stay away from until later but most others each have their uses. Backyard Stuff for example, I wouldn’t get. I bought it cause I loved the rug and the painting, and use the fence occasionally, but that’s about it.

If you want any landscaping at all done, I’d suggest Romantic Garden Stuff and Outdoor Retreat GP, and of course Cats and Dogs EP lol if you can get your hands on it. If you can get only one, get Romantic Garden or Cats and Dogs. While I love Outdoor Retreat it is not an essential pack. It does have very good stylized items tho, a more nature-y pack.

Get to Work you mentioned you didn’t have yet, I’d get it too if you can afford it. It’s not a very stylized pack that’ll open up entirely new options, but it’s quite a versatile pack with a number of different but essential items I use literally every build.

For GPs, a lot of ppl say Vampires is a great pack for building, but personally, it’s not one I’d put as top priority to get. However, you mentioned you build European style, then it might be a good pack to get. All the other GPs have their various uses. Parenthood is great for family homes, and it’s not very stylized. However, I’d say Spa Day and Dine Out are the one I’d suggest first in that order. It just depends on what you want tho. Spa Day has a really nice slim window that other packs cannot substitute, and a tile that can play some really neat tricks when building. I used it as a foundation to raise a greenhouse up a lil last time, and often use as fireplace foundations to keep it off the carpet.

Stuff Packs. Perfect Patio. The sofa is real good. I mean, real good. It doesn’t have a lot of items but I use almost all of them everywhere. Cool Kitchen items are my go to items so I love it, but I wouldn’t call it essential. Movie Hangout is prolly the pack you want though. It’s highly stylized, but very pretty, has a really cute door and really cute furniture. Buuut it screams bohemian. Its still a very good pack to have. Bowling Night is midcentury. Great pack, not the first to buy though. Vintage Glamour I’d say is second priority. It has a nice window and a nice door. Has nice curtains and side tables, and a round rug for once. Fitness Stuff is very, very modern. I would definitely get it tho, as there are not many packs that offer such good lights. Buuuut it’s a very stylized pack that will not go at all with traditional homes, pick and choose.

And then finally what you shouldn’t get... yet. Backyard as mentioned, also Luxury Stuff, Spooky Stuff, Kids Stuff, and Toddler Stuff. I don’t have the last for this exact reason. There are good items in there, but not essential.

Summary: get pets. And Spa Day. Then Romantic Garden, Movie Hangout, Perfect Patio. If you have money, get Outdoor Retreat, Parenthood. Then finish up stuff packs Vintage Glamour, Bowling Night, and Fitness. As for Cool Kitchen it just depends on if you think it’s important enough, it is for me. Just opinion.
    青天白日滿地紅 Blue Sky, White Sun, and a Wholly Red Earth
    The Sims 4 Gallery
    The Sims 4 Showcase
    @reanseih Thank you for that amazingly detailed answer!

Everyone seems to be recommending pets haha, although I looked through the items and I just cannot figure out what kind of build style it unlocks. Is there a particular style that cannot be built without it?

Could you also let me know what tile you're referring to to lift the fireplace? I didn't realise any objects could lift others. I just assumed they all went through them. I have been looking for a way to create small platforms haha.

Garden and patio are amazing! Just bought them and like the items, has allowed for some cool building.

Last question haha, what landscaping options does outdoor retreat open up? I only saw a few trees, but the rest of the objects didn't feel like they could work in the landscaping for a house.

Thanks again!!!!!

edited November 2017
    @Nore sorry I don’t know my styles too well lmao. I kinda just pick whatever I think looks best without thinking much on what style it is... I think it really is just a matter that the pack happens to fill in a lot of things that we didn’t have enough choices of. Three tile windows and doors, and the new trees and bushes, was what got me really interested. Plus the bay window seat, overall it’s a real pretty pack. For style tho, if I have to say I’ll quote TheSimSupply from his pack overview, nautical. xD;; That’s mostly buy items tho. Maybe watch his overview? Honestly, I’m only getting info on the pack from watching vids on YouTube too.

For the tiles, it’s more a trick than actually raising the item. You raise items by pressing 9. But that leaves a gap right? That’s where the tile comes in, it’s the perfect height for the job. It’s actually a fountain decoration item, I just use it as a foundation most of the times. For me as a builder, it’s nice to have things that I can, ahem, hack. Other tricks you can do with it include using it as stepping stones, you know, on a pathway. I’ve used it as steps on a ladder and the floor for lofts as well. Simple things often make the most useful items.

Outdoor Retreat gives a much more natural look, like, wild, unkept. Think forest, or countryside, or wood cabins, or some rundown place, stuff like that. Less flowers more, well, nature I guess. Personal favourite of mine are the ferns. Furniture too tho, if you’re building a fairy house for example, that pack is a must have.

Also, when it comes to landscaping, not all of it is done with plants. Activities, seats, centre peices, stuff that your garden can be built around are also vital parts of landscaping imo.
    The Sims 4 Gallery
    The Sims 4 Showcase
    Pets is a cape cod style build
    Think hamptons style. I wouldn’t recommend it as your first. I think people are just excited about it cause it’s the newest.

You seem to want Get Together the most, so that’s what you should start with. Vampires will pair with it well and is probably the best pack for you to buy second.
    @oXseashellXo pretty sure unless I'm interpreting this wrong he already has Get Together and City living. xD;; Plus Toddler, Romantic Garden, Perfect Patio. Which I think covers some basics that you need from first packs.
    The Sims 4 Gallery
    The Sims 4 Showcase
    Ooh. From the first post I got the impression that he only had get to work and toddlers.....

Cool trick with those fountain tiles. I never thought I could put them under a fireplace. Are sims still able to upgraythe fireplace or does it cause routing issues?
    @oXseashellXo I do believe it still works, I’ll double check on that and get back to you.
    The Sims 4 Gallery
    The Sims 4 Showcase
  • AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    Here's the thing about cats and dogs. New hamptons/New England/cape cod. Not a big deal, you can get that without. But then, here is what sold me on c&d being my favorite objects wise. It has windows with no glass that i use as room dividers or on my backyard porch. They are amazing and I'm gonna over use the hell out of that.

There's this new tall gate with these lanterns on it I'm also obsessed with. New awnings and flower pots I adore.

Bay window seats. You know when you build this fancy half a hexagon cut out that looks awesome from the outside and then you get to the interior like.. Ehm what do I put here? That. I really like them. Then there's the too many pillows couch I already downloaded a million recolors for.

The actual windows and not to mention doors are amazing. You get these super stylish glass entrance doors and then more barn looking ones for the back.

I love the new dining set and the fireplaces are probably my second favorite thing out of all the objects. I think it was well worth it, because this and parenthood are my go to for interiors, absolute must haves personally.

Still waiting on different stair types tho :(
    hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
    edited November 2017
    We need a mod here. What's up with that super suspicious random ad?! :neutral:

Yup, exactly what @Amuitza said. For Cats and Dogs EP, it's not really the style, it's the individual items that sell the pack. It's kinda like buying a second base game imo lol. Stairs tho... Spiral stairs, curved stairs, diagonal stairs, ladders... qwq

@oXseashellXo I just checked, it works. ;) You can light fireplaces that are placed above these tiles, however you cannot walk over it, it does obstruct path. Kinda like counters I guess, you can interact with things above it from a reasonable distance but you can't walk through it.
    The Sims 4 Gallery
    The Sims 4 Showcase
    @reanseih Thanks for the info! 3 tile doors and windows definitely sounds good haha. I researched a bit more about the beach style and it is quite cool. I also tried your tile suggestion to create a small platform for chairs to make a home theatre. It looks so cool, alas the raised chairs are not usable but at least they look cool haha.

@oXseashellXo Thank you for explaining, that makes so much sense now haha.
    Btw for me it does cause routing issues if you raise chairs, so I imagine fireplace as well. I imagine you can turn them on but might not be able to upgrade them because of pathing.

@Amiutza Thank you for the details! Those items definitely sound amazing haha. I especially like the picture in your signature, it looks awesome!

Thanks for all the advice guys, I bought perfect patio, romantic garden and dine out and am liking the new items sooooo much. I keep figuring out new and cool ways to use them, including a total rehaul of my Parisian build. It looks so much better now haha. Thank you guys! Might go ahead and buy the new expansion as well I feel haha.