Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Share your computer specs that will run the sims 2 UC

phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
edited November 2017 in The Sims 2
I'm starting this thread so people can discuss what new hardware lower end laptops will run the sims 2 UC. We get asked this question in TS3 tech but most of us are running ts2 and 3 on a computer that can run the whole sims 3. We are unsure what lower end hardware will run UC.

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @dorcsyful I started a thread so maybe people playing on cheaper laptops can help each other on what will run TS2 UC
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    I am currently running Sims 2 UC under a R5 230M graphics card which I believe it is intergrated - it's runs smoothly with all high settings!
  • JillieLunaJillieLuna Posts: 1,027 Member
    What's the easiest way to get this information? I'm never sure what people are looking for exactly when they ask this. Mine runs well, but I did have to mess with my graphics card settings
  • simmerbrentleysimmerbrentley Posts: 203 Member
    I'm able to run Sims 2 UC on high everything. I did have to download a program that edited the graphics card exceptions in the game files considering my graphics card wasn't even around when they made the Sims 2. You can find the file and directions here. If you follow it step by step you should be able to remove all the crazy black boxes around sims, glitching neighborhoods, and other weird quirks.
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name LAPTOP
    System Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    System Model GL502VT
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU ASUS-NotebookSKU
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2592 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. GL502VT.300, 6/14/2016
    SMBIOS Version 3.0
    Embedded Controller Version 255.255
    BIOS Mode UEFI
    BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    BaseBoard Model Not Available
    BaseBoard Name Base Board
    Platform Role Mobile
    Secure Boot State On
    PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.16299.15"
    User Name LAPTOP\Brent DeGray
    Time Zone Mountain Standard Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB
    Total Physical Memory 11.9 GB
    Available Physical Memory 7.39 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 14.2 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 9.18 GB
    Page File Space 2.38 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes
  • dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    Right now I have an nvidia 820M and the game runs fine on it with max settings. Although I do have to select the dedicated card every time I run it. The integrated card in my current laptop is an Intel HD 4400 I think, with 4 GB is ram and it does have problems.
    The new one will be an Intel 620 with 8 GB, which, based on what I could find online, is better than the nvidia.
  • canitbemancanitbeman Posts: 396 Member
    Considering I played TS2 on a mid-range laptop in 2004, most modern PC's should be able to run TS2 comfortably.
    in7xjb5WX7PIyv2bAPK9om-UpQ6lu50OmTOOMedFkabQlJ6WAblttI-YkjpbwbaMsZYP99rvrxYZYvusuoiZY9kgoOukGZu8miL-x4i5Vjt_4VS982WP32Goc22ldJNMZMCL6b2pKA=w2400
    Thanks Everyone who posted. Keep the info coming. :)

@dorcsyful please post when you get the intel 620 to let people know how TS2 runs. Thanks!
    JillieLuna wrote: »
    What's the easiest way to get this information? I'm never sure what people are looking for exactly when they ask this. Mine runs well, but I did have to mess with my graphics card settings

On windows you hit the windows key and R key at the same time. It will open your run box in the lower left hand corner of your computer . You type DxDiag in the run box and hit ok. Your computer specs will pop up. If your on a gaming rig that can run TS3, it should not have issues running TS2. . I would just like a list of lower end hardware that will run TS2 for those who can't run TS3.
    @phoebebebe13 Well, it will be quite some time until I'll buy one (March 15th, to be exact). I know you always say, that what's available now might not be available by the time I want to buy, but this is pretty much the newest Intel card and new stuff are always way out of my price range.
    edited November 2017
    @dorcsyful This is true and you may get a better computer come March. intel is coming out with new laptop processors. It is called Coffee lake processor. They may add new integrated graphics cards with it of they could still use the 620 card. You may also get a good deal on leftover last generation hardware.
    Coffee Lake? And here I thought android versions have funny names :D Anyway, unfortunately that's not how it works over here, last generation costs as much as they did when they were new, although I'd really like to get my hands on an Acer swift 5. That 15-hour battery life would be perfect.
    @dorcsyful The new intel 8th gen is called Coffee Lake. They already have kaby lake and sky lake. 9th gen may be called tea lake :p

If someone is in the USA, they tend to put older hardware on clearance if all new hardware is coming out. This may not be the case for other countries. It's supply and demand. The USA has the best options and prices , especially for gaming computers.
    I have a feeling that someone at Intel really likes fishing. :D This whole thing with lakes didn't feel weird until this moment. Electrical devices cost a lot in Hungary, even without the 27% tax (maybe I'll be able to get around that). Hopefully there will be an easter sale or something around that time. :smile:
    edited November 2017
    @dorcsyful LOL on fishing.. crossing fingers you find something awesome in your price range. Ask chesterbigbird when your ready. She is good at finding computers out of the USA
    @phoebebebe13 Will do, thanks :-)
  • pri4321pri4321 Posts: 225 Member
    I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series and it runs UC perfectly fine
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C55D-A5108 with the following specs:

Processor: AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics 2.00 GHz

Installed RAM: 4.00 GB (3.45 usable)

System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

It runs TS2:UC no problem in compatibility mode and running the game as an administrator. I got this laptop three years ago for around $750, but you could probably find something with equivalent specs for less now.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.

It runs TS2:UC no problem in compatibility mode and running the game as an administrator. I got this laptop three years ago for around $750, but you could probably find something with equivalent specs for less now.

Trust me, I am not going for cheap. My current choice is about $1000. But since I'm not going for a gaming laptop this time, it's likely that it won't have a dedicated card, which might be a problem. Although as it turned out I'll likely have to wait until the back-to-school sales, due to certain deadlines being pushed, so there will be new stuff by then and the current ones will likely be also cheaper.
    dorcsyful wrote: »

Trust me, I am not going for cheap. My current choice is about $1000. But since I'm not going for a gaming laptop this time, it's likely that it won't have a dedicated card, which might be a problem. Although as it turned out I'll likely have to wait until the back-to-school sales, due to certain deadlines being pushed, so there will be new stuff by then and the current ones will likely be also cheaper.

The AMD "A" series is integrated. It's not for gaming the sims 3 but as posted above their AMD A6 APU will run TS2.

The AMD "A" series is integrated. It's not for gaming the sims 3 but as posted above their AMD A6 APU will run TS2.

I was referring to the equivalent for less part when I answered. But I did look up this specific model and it's not exactly what I need (starting with the fact that I want a 14 inch laptop, a 15.6 would be too much to carry around)

I was referring to the equivalent for less part when I answered. But I did look up this specific model and it's not exactly what I need (starting with the fact that I want a 14 inch laptop, a 15.6 would be too much to carry around)

14 inch laptops are hard to find. Especially if you want one that will also run the sims 3. the standard is 15.6 or 17 inch.

Just a suggestion, my son goes to college. He has a cheap tablet for school and a gaming desktop at home. This way he can carry something smaller for school

@phoebebebe13 Well, I really like the Acer swift 3 and 5 (only the latter is rather expensive). I'm going to be a computer science student and I want a laptop that's able to run Visual Studio at any time, if needed and I want it to be fast (good CPU and SSD). If I didn't need that, I'd probably go with your suggestion.
    I've looked around the internet many times and there's no 13-14 inch laptop that's ever going to run TS3. Besides, how much would I actually study if I had the game with me wherever I go? :D
    @dorcsyful I just looked up the acer swift. The one with 512 gb SSD is $799 here in the USA. TS2 should run on that but be warned that ts2 does not take advantage of an ssd. It still loads very slow on ssd ;)
    Wow, we don't even have a 512 GB version here and it's already more expensive :D I'll have to buy an external hard drive for stuff I don't need 24/7.
    @dorcsyful Try to find one with at least 250 gb ssd. The 128 gb is good for running windows but not gaming on should you chose to add the sims 2. 128 gb ssd gets used up really quickly