Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cats and dogs is kind of worse then I expected.

Comments

• Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    muzickmage wrote: »
    Pegasys wrote: »
    Dayvon64 wrote: »
    I think the thing that is dissappointing me the most about the GP is the fact that we can't build skills for our pets. I don't mind them being NPC's. But i'm thinking the fact that they are NPC's would be less noticable if we could see a list of skills to teach them.

How many times do I have to tell my dog to go out before his skill level is high enough for him to do it on his own? How many times do I have to lecture the cat for being on the counter before he learns not to jump on the counter?

Why are these things "blind guessing"?

What about other skills? Dogs can be taught many things (IRL).... from fetching a ball - to saving a child from drowning in a pool. Why can't we teach our dogs things in sims 4 as well... and see the skill levels for these such ideas?

I would love it if we could have Dogs integrated in the Detective Career. There are some really interesting things pets can do with a lot of training.

This is one of the reasons why I compare the dogs and cats to Cassandra Goth, which isn't really fair to Cassandra.

The cats and dogs, being NPC's ... simply do NOTHING. They have some (some people label as) "cute" animations, but outside of that... that's pretty much it. For puppies it's even worse.

.... They have no skills section to work on building.
    .... They can't be entered into anything.

They just roam around repeating the same animations over and over. I think my dog cries to go to the bathroom more than my 3 human sims actually use the bathroom collectively.

For me... the EP just feels like its lacking too much in the sense of gameplay for the pets.

What would you expect the pets to do?

Dogs can be trained. This is in addition to correcting misbehaviors. There is the agility course as well.

I disagree that the pets are like human NPCs. I've played Pets from TS2 and TS3 as well, and these are definitely the best pets in the series, IMHO.

What would I expect pets to be able to do?

..... lets start with a "build skills" page.

That would make a major difference. It would encourage us to actually do things with our pets if we had a way to keep track of our progress with them.

..... lets add to that some gameplay.

EA downsized the pets EP... (such as deleting horses) so they could focus on "cats and dogs". Ok, fair enough. Focus on them then. Where is the gameplay? Where are the pet contests? The pet shops?

All we have is a bunch of NPC's (designed to look like cats and dogs) running around our house doing nothing but look cute.

You won't be happy until a dog can sit at a computer to write a book while smoking a pipe! lol
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited November 2017
    fullspiral wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    I have the game installed but have yet to play it, most of the time I am lucky not to have some of the problems others do have.

Same. It's installed, but I've not played with pets at all. I've gone in and built a clinic and evicted premades, but haven't actually been to the new world in game.

I'm a systematic player and it's not time to use it yet. It's there for when I can go in to CAP and actually make my lost kittehs. I don't think I can yet even though I want to. Still too fresh.

In some aspects I play like you do, right now my Sims are in Windenburg and I rather continue to play there and one day get to the new world being I own the game and I can play at my leisure. Off topic, I think even with what shortcoming this EP may have, I am liking it better than the others pet versions. I generally do not or had not played with them but I am liking that clinic layout therefore in a way I must use them. But that okay I will be ready. :)
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited November 2017
    Everybody is so quick to complain without first learning how to work the game properly. Go to Carl's Sims and do a bit of reading there first.

I am very grateful for those who find real bugs in the game that help me play and I would expect EA to take notice of those.

PS: I would ignore any site ending in .ru Just my opinion though.

• Options
    muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    edited November 2017
    calaprfy wrote: »
    I think the thing that is dissappointing me the most about the GP is the fact that we can't build skills for our pets. I don't mind them being NPC's. But i'm thinking the fact that they are NPC's would be less noticable if we could see a list of skills to teach them.

How many times do I have to tell my dog to go out before his skill level is high enough for him to do it on his own? How many times do I have to lecture the cat for being on the counter before he learns not to jump on the counter?

What about other skills? Dogs can be taught many things (IRL).... from fetching a ball - to saving a child from drowning in a pool. Why can't we teach our dogs things in sims 4 as well... and see the skill levels for these such ideas?

I would love it if we could have Dogs integrated in the Detective Career. There are some really interesting things pets can do with a lot of training.

This is one of the reasons why I compare the dogs and cats to Cassandra Goth, which isn't really fair to Cassandra.

The cats and dogs, being NPC's ... simply do NOTHING. They have some (some people label as) "cute" animations, but outside of that... that's pretty much it. For puppies it's even worse.

They just roam around repeating the same animations over and over. I think my dog cries to go to the bathroom more than my 3 human sims actually use the bathroom collectively.

For me... the EP just feels like its lacking too much in the sense of gameplay for the pets.

Dogs can be trained. This is in addition to correcting misbehaviors. There is the agility course as well.

I disagree that the pets are like human NPCs. I've played Pets from TS2 and TS3 as well, and these are definitely the best pets in the series, IMHO.

That would make a major difference. It would encourage us to actually do things with our pets if we had a way to keep track of our progress with them.

EA downsized the pets EP... (such as deleting horses) so they could focus on "cats and dogs". Ok, fair enough. Focus on them then. Where is the gameplay? Where are the pet contests? The pet shops?

All we have is a bunch of NPC's (designed to look like cats and dogs) running around our house doing nothing but look cute.

You won't be happy until a dog can sit at a computer to write a book while smoking a pipe! lol

Oh really. How about this then?

(Dog Collar):
    ..... When I created my dog I dressed him with a dog collar. However, it seems that when my sims put the leash on him to take him for a walk they take the dog collar off of him before attaching the leash. What exactly are they attaching the leash to if they remove the dog collar before hooking the leash to the dog?

..... During the walk idea I decide to check the mail on the way out of the house. Apparently we can't check the mail and pay the bill if we have the leash on the dog. In fact, we can't do much of anything if we have the leash on the dog. My sim teen came home from school and needed to "jog to clear mind". I decided she could take the dog on the jog with her. That action wasn't possible. She can jog to clear mind. She can jog with the dog. But she can't jog with the dog and clear mind at the same time.

..... Why is it that the dog always seem to walk 15-20 feet behind the sim when on walks? I live in the city where I see people walking their dogs all the time. In fact, and coincidentally, someone walked by with their dog as I was writing this post, and their dog was walking by their side.

..... After coming back from the walk (now not wearing his dog collar) the dog decides to jump into the pool. Amazingly, the dog puts the collar back on himself (an action he himself completes) before jumping into the pool. How is it that the dog is able to put on his own collar?

(Cat running away):
    ..... It seems the cat is able to open the front door while everyone is asleep, and run away. But the dog can't seem to figure out how to get out of the house long enough to pee.

[It sounds to me - a cat that can open doors by themselves, and dogs who can put on their own collars... should already know how to use computers.]
  • Options
    SimplyobsessedSimplyobsessed Posts: 315 Member
    edited November 2017
    I don't love the Cats and Dogs pack. I like the new world, buy items and create a pet but i'm not raving about anything else. Cats and Dogs are just NPC characters, you can't even see their skills. Sure they look cute, but that's just a shell that isn't going to entertain for very long - we need depth.

Compared to how well Vampires for example were done i'm just finding the Cats and Dogs gameplay underwhelming. Style over substance.
  • Options
    Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    Two days and I'm bored with it.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Rae357 wrote: »

Two days? I predicted about a week before posts like this one started. ;)

Cuteness only goes so far.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member

Exactly!
  • Options
    I don't love the Cats and Dogs pack. I like the new world, buy items and create a pet but i'm not raving about anything else. Cats and Dogs are just NPC characters, you can't even see their skills. Sure they look cute, but that's just a shell that isn't going to entertain for very long - we need depth.

Compared to how well Vampires for example were done i'm just finding the Cats and Dogs gameplay underwhelming.

I feel there should have been an button that a player can activate freewill or micromanage such as monitoring needs but other than that I like the clinic and also the new town. It works out for me and sadly not for some that they do not have full control over their pets. This shortcoming I can overlook and still get some fun out of this pack and also I only paid half for it and got it at an GP price. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    Schantal wrote: »

Oh I don't know I expect pets to be as good as or better than the pets in other iterations which they are not. Also, that agility course is a joke, after 5 min your dog has done everything it can on it, especially if the skill is up......So many people are upset with this pack, if it was the best in the series you wouldn't see that. With Sims 3 pets most of the threads were about making cool AKC dog fan pages, posting pics, etc.....here MOST of the threads are people upset due to bugs or how boring it is.

My cats can do the course on the first time with only 1 error. My sim has no training skill.
  • Options
    muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member

Compared to how well Vampires for example were done i'm just finding the Cats and Dogs gameplay underwhelming.

I feel there should have been an button that a player can activate freewill or micromanage such as monitoring needs but other than that I like the clinic and also the new town. It works out for me and sadly not for some that they do not have full control over their pets. This shortcoming I can overlook and still get some fun out of this pack and also I only paid half for it and got it at an GP price. :)

That's where I can be on the same page as you when it comes to "Cats and Dogs". As a $20 GP the pack isn't bad. As a $40 EP.... I can't defend it as easily.

Congrats on getting it cheaper. I, unfortunately paid $40 for it on pre-order a month ago.
  • Options
    Simulator4Simulator4 Posts: 652 Member
    Dijktafone wrote: »

Exactly!

Both of you were skeptical about this pack and now after 2 days you're both bored. Why did you even purchase it?
  • Options
    I'll get out of my boredom when the vet career will stop prompting randomly generated sims to fill owner roles when you own a vet clinic. As of now, I feel like I'm playing as before, but worse, since Vampire perks are broken.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member

(Dog Collar):
    ..... When I created my dog I dressed him with a dog collar. However, it seems that when my sims put the leash on him to take him for a walk they take the dog collar off of him before attaching the leash. What exactly are they attaching the leash to if they remove the dog collar before hooking the leash to the dog?

..... During the walk idea I decide to check the mail on the way out of the house. Apparently we can't check the mail and pay the bill if we have the leash on the dog. In fact, we can't do much of anything if we have the leash on the dog. My sim teen came home from school and needed to "jog to clear mind". I decided she could take the dog on the jog with her. That action wasn't possible. She can jog to clear mind. She can jog with the dog. But she can't jog with the dog and clear mind at the same time.

..... Why is it that the dog always seem to walk 15-20 feet behind the sim when on walks? I live in the city where I see people walking their dogs all the time. In fact, and coincidentally, someone walked by with their dog as I was writing this post, and their dog was walking by their side.

..... After coming back from the walk (now not wearing his dog collar) the dog decides to jump into the pool. Amazingly, the dog puts the collar back on himself (an action he himself completes) before jumping into the pool. How is it that the dog is able to put on his own collar?

(Cat running away):
    ..... It seems the cat is able to open the front door while everyone is asleep, and run away. But the dog can't seem to figure out how to get out of the house long enough to pee.

[It sounds to me - a cat that can open doors by themselves, and dogs who can put on their own collars... should already know how to use computers.]

Did you make the collar part of is waking outfit? Because the npcs have walking dogs with colors
  • Options
    MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »

(Dog Collar):

(Cat running away):

Did you make the collar part of is waking outfit? Because the npcs have walking dogs with colors

I was about to ask the same. From what you say, it looks like you gave your dog a collar for the "everyday outfit" and left the "outdoor outfit" untouched. Dogs, unlike cats, have two categories of outfits. It's also possible that they change to everyday one before swimming, I haven't checked it yet.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

(Dog Collar):

(Cat running away):

I have a dog that has a collar for his walking outfit, when my sim makes him go a walk the dog spins round and the collar disappears.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member

(Dog Collar):

(Cat running away):

I have a dog that has a collar for his walking outfit, when my sim makes him go a walk the dog spins round and the collar disappears.

Then it might be a bug @SimGuruNick

This is the bug guy, right ? XD
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited November 2017
    I don't have the disappearing bowl issue either. No CC. No Mods. Any issue I have had so far has been pretty minor. I have had to reset the raccoon a couple of times. For some reason he gets stuck on one table.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Cynna wrote: »

So far my concern reading posts is that with time, Pets will feel like a burden. I mean people are saying the pets need permission to pee, there's plenty of vids of pets standing around doing nothing when their needs are fine, the pet training seems to go super fast, the vet skill only seems to unlock a very small handful of serums (think 3 involved age, 2 were cures, and four were detrimental) while most unlocks are more friggin' decals, and other than that there's just....nothing.

The problem is that once it starts to feel like a lot of nothing, that's when people get sick of having to babysit the pet and let it outside to pee every single time instead of the pet just doing it itself. I mean I always hated dogs and cats in Sims 3 because their stupid moonwalk pathing constantly got in the way while the pets themselves had little to do, but I didn't mind horses precisely because they had actual content and goals. (races, a means of transport) When you ask what on earth these pets have to offer in terms of gameplay, all you get in response is a big ole question mark.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member

So far my concern reading posts is that with time, Pets will feel like a burden. I mean people are saying the pets need permission to pee, there's plenty of vids of pets standing around doing nothing when their needs are fine, the pet training seems to go super fast, the vet skill only seems to unlock a very small handful of serums (think 3 involved age, 2 were cures, and four were detrimental) while most unlocks are more friggin' decals, and other than that there's just....nothing.

The problem is that once it starts to feel like a lot of nothing, that's when people get sick of having to babysit the pet and let it outside to pee every single time instead of the pet just doing it itself. I mean I always hated dogs and cats in Sims 3 because their plum moonwalk pathing constantly got in the way while the pets themselves had little to do, but I didn't mind horses precisely because they had actual content and goals. (races, a means of transport) When you ask what on earth these pets have to offer in terms of gameplay, all you get in response is a big ole question mark.

Some of those things are bugs or unwise game design choices, but I do take your point.

It's the same with every EP. There's gushing, squeeing, and fawning for days. Then, when the first rush of excitement wears off, everything that was wonderful starts to become rote, cumbersome, or worse, both. That's when the requests for mods usually start.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options

That's where I can be on the same page as you when it comes to "Cats and Dogs". As a $20 GP the pack isn't bad. As a $40 EP.... I can't defend it as easily.

Congrats on getting it cheaper. I, unfortunately paid $40 for it on pre-order a month ago.
    I am sorry you paid full price for it. I was surprised that I was able to get it at half price with Target. I do not preorder anymore depending on the developer and EA/Maxis was on my list not to preorder and wait and see if there is an sale.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

The problem is that once it starts to feel like a lot of nothing, that's when people get sick of having to babysit the pet and let it outside to pee every single time instead of the pet just doing it itself. I mean I always hated dogs and cats in Sims 3 because their plum moonwalk pathing constantly got in the way while the pets themselves had little to do, but I didn't mind horses precisely because they had actual content and goals. (races, a means of transport) When you ask what on earth these pets have to offer in terms of gameplay, all you get in response is a big ole question mark.
    Pets learn how to pee outside. I got a notification for it when the puppy was told to pee like 3 or 4 times, so it wasn't bad. Much easier to teach them how to pee than toddlers, so really isn't a burden at all to teach them that. Plus the cats pee in the litter box which is nice having an electronic one and one that zaps the poo.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options

Some of those things are bugs or unwise game design choices, but I do take your point.

It's the same with every EP. There's gushing, squeeing, and fawning for days. Then, when the first rush of excitement wears off, everything that was wonderful starts to become rote, cumbersome, or worse, both. That's when the requests for mods usually start.

I personally view this differently. Pets is unique in the sense that, if you don't own one, or don't be a Vet, you don't use the E.P. While even after time passes, I still enjoy the careers of the first EP, the club system of which I'm an avid user. I still enjoy and go to 75% of the festivals and so on. So while I clearly don't use each EP to it's fullest anymore, I wouldn't part ways with those without compromising my playstyle. To apply the same rule to pets I must "own" a pet or be a vet. I can't integrate anything else to a standard run.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member

(Dog Collar):

(Cat running away):

Then it might be a bug @SimGuruNick

This is the bug guy, right ? XD

I got bad news for you guys but that collar thing just sounds like it might be bad decisions with their programming, not a bug. There's an easy way to test it though:

Think about all the little outfits your pets can equip. I'm sure some go with a leash, some don't. The fix? Have pets unequip their clothes before being put on a leash. Unfortunately this may include collars, which is a piece of clothing designed for leashes.

Easy way to test it is to get a pet, give them as many clothing equips as possible, then put them on a leash and see if the clothing disappears. If it does? This means the leash more or less activates your pet being in a nude state and de-equips everything, collars included. A fix is possible if they gave collars a special condition making them excemptions from this, but that doesn't exactly sound like something they like to patch in late.

If their clothing does stay on but collars don't, then yes, it may be a bug.

I'm well aware. Same thing happens every time, and it's a tragedy because it's exactly these kind of purchasing habits that enable such a lack of quality.

I've said this all over the place: this pack fails to offer new pet content compared to Sims 2 and Sims 3. Heck, we actively lose features more frequently than we gain them. To me that means that if you rate the pack on a 1 to 10 scale, best case scenario it's going to be a 5. That's not exactly something to be happy about, and purchasing it just helps encourage the devs to continue experimenting on how much content they can remove before people get fed up with it. Even if someone wanted to argue the pack is surprisingly good despite a lack of content, you can make a very solid counter-argument that the pack should be shunned out of principle alone. To purchase this pack is to invite the devs to deliver a Seasons without snow, a University pack with online classes only and no actual campus, and other such oddities.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"