Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Best Graphics Card for Sims 3 AND 4?

Im looking to buy a new laptop on black friday.

I wanted a new laptop for myself to use for school and to enjoy playing sims once in a while. I just dont know whats the best graphics card for those games.

Help? Thanks!

Comments

• cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    edited November 2017
    You should try looking at laptops with Nvidia cards only, AMD do not make much gaming hardware for laptops. The Nvidia cards you should look for will be cards like the GeForce GTX 960M, 970M, 1050, 1050 Ti. The 960/970M are good cards for this game but I would recommend finding a laptop with the newer GeForce GTX 1050 or 1050 Ti as they are newer and feature specs within 10% (1050) of their desktop counterparts or on par (1050 Ti) with good cooling whereas the older M cards are significantly slower than their desktop counterparts.

The GTX 1050 Ti tends to be on par or slightly faster than the GTX 970M. So I would get a GTX 1050/1050 Ti on the laptop, although if you have a small budget you may be able to get a 960M or 970M laptop cheaper now. I have a 1050 Ti on my laptop and The Sims 4 runs nice and smooth on it on Ultra settings barring game hiccups.

PC Specs:
    Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
    6685561181.png
    Rogers Ignite 70u internet
  • KaitlynAnnetteKaitlynAnnette Posts: 6 New Member
    I have a question for some tech gurus - I have a computer with a 1.6 Intel Processor for an HP 22-B013W computer. I know I need a better processor... I can play TS4 just fine, but with the new expansion, I cannot create dogs. I can adopt them & it runs just fine, but I'd like to actually use the CAS feature with dogs. Is there a way to update my processor or graphics card so that I can actually use this feature, or am I outta luck unless I buy a new computer? I really don't want to purchase another computer... Will I also have this issue with any other packs? I have all the other packs except Vampires, Bowling, Fitness, and Toddler Stuff & up until I got Cats & Dogs, it's run smoothly.
  • AprilApril Posts: 59 Member
    > @KaitlynAnnette said:
    > I have a question for some tech gurus - I have a computer with a 1.6 Intel Processor for an HP 22-B013W computer. I know I need a better processor... I can play TS4 just fine, but with the new expansion, I cannot create dogs. I can adopt them & it runs just fine, but I'd like to actually use the CAS feature with dogs. Is there a way to update my processor or graphics card so that I can actually use this feature, or am I outta luck unless I buy a new computer? I really don't want to purchase another computer... Will I also have this issue with any other packs? I have all the other packs except Vampires, Bowling, Fitness, and Toddler Stuff & up until I got Cats & Dogs, it's run smoothly.

Can you post a dxdiag? When I looked up your model it appears to be an all-in-one. Is that correct? It also says that you only have 4gb of ram. You need 4gb of ram just to run C&D so you would need more ram. I don't know much about all-in-ones so I don't know if they can be upgraded. Someone with more knowledge will be along to offer more help soon I'm sure :)
    Yes, it is an all-in-one with 4gb ram. Unfortunately, I have done research on my computer & it says the processor cannot be upgraded. It runs just fine, but I cannot create dogs. I figure I may just be stuck getting a new computer on Black Friday. Is there an affordable (under $500) computer out there that will run all of these features fine? I am a teacher... I do not have the $ to spend on a super pricey computer.

Time of this report: 11/11/2017, 20:31:41
    Machine name: DESKTOP-KO1H6E6
    Machine Id: {54BD6747-6715-4B06-B3A5-9D65F4462007}
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 15063) (15063.rs2_release.170317-1834)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: HP
    System Model: 22-b013w
    BIOS: F.15
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU J3710 @ 1.60GHz (4 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 4002MB RAM
    Page File: 4658MB used, 1520MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    Miracast: Available, with HDCP
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
    DxDiag Version: 10.00.15063.0000 64bit Unicode

It's frustrating because I know it's a computer issue, but I didn't know enough about computers when I bought it to avoid this issue in advance. Do you think Vampires, fitness, bowling, & toddler stuff will run okay? Maybe I just can't create dogs. That's disappointing, but I guess it's not the end of the world.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited November 2017
    Hi @KaitlynAnnette . Unfortunately, your computer is below the minimum requirements for the base game. You've been lucky so far, but the requirements are even higher for the Cats & Dogs EP. I don't recommend stressing your computer with the game if you can't afford to replace it. We've seen computers simply die.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    Do you think this computer would work okay? Dell Inspiron Touch Screen Laptop with Intel Core i5 processor, 8 gb memory, 2 tb hard drive

It looks like it has a fairly strong processor & a lot more ram than mine..
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited November 2017
    Do you think this computer would work okay? Dell Inspiron Touch Screen Laptop with Intel Core i5 processor, 8 gb memory, 2 tb hard drive

Where an Inspiron is likely to fail you is in the graphics card. The affordable end of that line does not have enough graphics power for the game. The higher end of that line can be okay, but not as good value as some other computer lines for the same power. If you can do without the touchscreen you can get more computing/graphics power for the money. Same with if you can get a PC and monitor instead (rather than an all-in-one or laptop). @phoebebebe13 or @chesterbigbird could have a look for something for you within your budget.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    Okay, thank you. I would really appreciate some help looking around. I'm not picky about whether it's a laptop or an all-in-one. I also never use the touchscreen features, so I can live without it. I just need something I can use to play my game & lesson plan on for work. If it can do those two things & is within my budget, I'm happy.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited November 2017

all in one's are weaker than laptops but both can not be upgraded when it comes to video card and processor. Both are throw away computers. All in ones are not for gaming .The game requires desktop hardware. Laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware. Since laptop processor and video card can't be upgraded, if you want to survive the game , you need a laptop that equals the recommended requirements on desktop.

laptops to run this game $800-900 USD average depending on sales. Prices may vary in other countries

On laptop you need

Video card Nvidia GTX 960m, 970m, 1050, 1050 ti, 1060. The 1000 series is better and newer than the 900 series

processor you need an intel i5 or i7 quad core processor. Quad core processor will have HQ or MQ after the series number. You don't want a "U" laptop processor, they are dual core

8gb ram

at last 500 gb hard drive space

windows 64 bit
    Thank you.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    your welcome
    Also thank you, @luthienrising.