Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No LGR review copy this time

Comments

• ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    I find a lot of my opinions on packs line up with his, which is why I watch him because we happen to value similar things (except I do like supernatural). Truth is , all reviewers give opinions and I think we tend to like reviewers our opinions align with the most. Hence why people overly happy with this game may not like LGR since he gives criticism with every pack (which I think is just his style more than trying to bash the game)

As for him being overly critical, I think his SP reviews are extremely critical. Most times though he admits he is biased against stuff packs in those reviews (make of that what you will, I know some people appreciate that some hate it).
    However, for eps and most GP LGR actually is relatively balanced imo. I watched his city living review the other day and he actually did recommend that pack for people who like what is currently in the game (admittedly I didn't like the pack and thought he was playing nice) , he also said if you weren't a fan of the current content the pack didn't add much in terms of new deep game-play. He did have things he liked though. Same with the other EP reviews. He actually also recommended Vampires for people that were into that kind of game-play as well, and he has stated before he is not a supernatural fan.

That indicates to me that even though he has preferences he makes them clear to us so we know where he is coming from (we know supernaturals aren't his thing, we know he dislikes SP), but he also tries to look at what kind of player would enjoy the pack, and will recommend most packs for some kind of player.

Knowing that he tends to give EP and GP better reviews than SP, I find it rather humorous that they gave him toddler stuff for free to review, but not C&D since, if he follows his previous trends C&D would likely have gotten a more positive review = better press for the game.

Anyways that is my thoughts on this whole situation, I find it amusing, and I find LGR's opinions often work with mine, if some people think that is overly critical, oh well. Guess their opinions are more in line with other reviews .(which is fine)
  • MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    If EA are so concerned that he will do a bad review for C&D then what does that tell us about what they think of the pack themselves? And they're the people that are actually selling it!

PS: I have actually bought the pack and I'm thoroughly enjoying build mode although I do feel that, considering everything else was ditched for cats and dogs, they could have done a bit more with them, ie, at least letting us click on them to see their basic information.
    tFU6JMe.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Moodbeamy wrote: »
    If EA are so concerned that he will do a bad review for C&D then what does that tell us about what they think of the pack themselves? And they're the people that are actually selling it!

PS: I have actually bought the pack and I'm thoroughly enjoying build mode although I do feel that, considering everything else was ditched for cats and dogs, they could have done a bit more with them, ie, at least letting us click on them to see their basic information.

How much weather beaten decor is there like siding and doors, windows that look old and worn etc.?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    I prefer his reviews as well. He tells it like it is. It has nothing to do with marketing. It never has.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I don't think EA is exactly wetting themselves over the opinion of one internet reviewer. Part of the issue may be that regardless of quality, LGR has been REALLY sour on Sims 4 lately. He's been almost automatically dissing Stuff Packs with Ralph. I don't live for Stuff Packs either but I recognise them for what they are. Why would they send him a copy if he's just being sour on their games from the get-go?

I'm afraid that EA can send out review copies to who they want. Besides, there are many other reviews and let's plays coming out, packed with praise and criticism. If LGR's opinion is so important, I'm sure you can restrain yourselves from buying for the next three days while he works on his review.

LGR isn't the ONLY reviewer out there.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Simulator4Simulator4 Posts: 652 Member
    Do you all really think EA is concerned about him giving the pack a bad review? If you check out his YouTube and Twitter feeds you'll see that most of his followers don't even have/play the game. They just like his salty Sims 4 reviews. Now they have another reason to bash EA/the game.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    Maybe EA don't need him anymore?
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Simulator4 wrote: »
    Do you all really think EA is concerned about him giving the pack a bad review? If you check out his YouTube and Twitter feeds you'll see that most of his followers don't even have/play the game. They just like his salty Sims 4 reviews. Now they have another reason to bash EA/the game.

I have over 350 hours put into TS4 now. I've bought Vampires and Parenthood because of him and he is the only Sims reviewer that I actually trust or can stand. His audience are mostly fans that are cynical, or on the fence, or have been with the franchise from VERY early days. We're also active participants in many communities (I was contributing to reddit weekly build challenges for a while until I got swarmed with work, my youtube channel is heavily The Sims oriented and I'm on SimsVIP discord), so don't try to somehow distance the "bashers" and "haters" as some sort of aliens that never play, never played The Sims nor want to play The Sims.
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    edited November 2017
    removed double post (my internet is hick-upping)
  • Xavy_CatXavy_Cat Posts: 350 Member
    It's pretty obvious he wasn't sent a copy for giving his honest opinion and constructive criticisms of EA. It's kind of like when popular beauty gurus on YouTube actually give products honest reviews, they're bumped off the makeup company's PR list if the review is negative. That's what seems to have happened here.
    ms-gif-sims%201_zps4784kijd.gif
    edited November 2017
    Nikoa wrote: »
    It's pretty obvious he wasn't sent a copy for giving his honest opinion and constructive criticisms of EA. It's kind of like when popular beauty gurus on YouTube actually give products honest reviews, they're bumped off the makeup company's PR list if the review is negative. That's what seems to have happened here.

I'd say it's more because he's actually admitted he doesn't like Stuff Packs that much, regardless of their content. That's not exactly what I'd call unbiased reviewing, or going in with an open mind.

"OH NO! OUR EXPANSION IS TERRIBLE! WHATEVER SHALL WE DO ABOUT IT?! I KNOW, WE'LL NOT SEND A COPY TO LGR!"
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Honestly, he admits he doesn't play the Sims (all versions) very much at all anymore. So if he's lost the passion for the Sims, that will come across in his videos (the last time he played The Sims on his channel was Get To Work when it came out).

Before Get To Work, he would have gameplay videos of him playing The Sims all the time.

So why would EA give him an access code, when he doesn't play the game anymore? While they have dedicated players who will promote the product for the next 6 months or so?

He never played these games on his channel "all the time". In fact gameplay videos on his channel are rare in general, because it's a REVIEW channel, not a let's play channel. The most I've seen of him playing The Sims was some special 2 hour videos of The Sims 2.

As to why should EA give him a code? Because a lot of simmers trust him as a reviewer. He is not affiliated or contracted by EA, making him an independent party rather than a paid promoter like most influencers are.

The fact that they did not give him a copy makes me very suspicious about the quality of EP.

Say you made some cookies. You want to start selling them across bakeries. You've got a couple different advertisement methods. You've given some to one person, but all he's credit etc is say they're bad. Would you keep giving the cookies?
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
    AmySims09 wrote: »
    The EP is amazing, no idea what you're talking about.

How do you know how old the pet is?
    How do you know what skills they have?
    We can't even click on them to see the basic stats that we could in TS2. It's like having another "sim baby" on the lot. On top of that training is actually very easy and so is befriending strays, as there's no actual work that said animals can take, there's no challenge in playing with them, outside of being quite tedious.

How do you tell how old your pets are in real life? How do you check their skills?
    RubeeSims wrote: »
    Yardenro wrote: »
    I wonder why they didn't give him an early access for this pack. I mean, IF they watch his youtube channel, they can see that he loves EVERYTHING that is real-life based (aka not aliens, vampires and such) so I mean, if I were EA/maxis, I would absolutely give him a copy because there's like a 99% chance he'd like it a lot and he has a lot of followers...

Literally EVERYTHING he says is negative. He picks whatever he can and makes it a huge deal. I'd much rather watch someone like Deligracy who does genuinely love the game and got her subscribers from being passionate about it than someone who just moans and makes everyone feel negative. Or you know, just play it myself.

Then you're free to watch Deligracy while those who want a critical review can watch his. The goal is not to force any of us to watch a specific Youtuber, and there's enough people on the market to satisfy all tastes.

....Except now they just kinda left out the last bastion of critical reviews within the community, and this should make people ask why they chose to do that.

They didn't leave anything out. He's still doing the reviews, they just aren't sponsored.

Who in their right marketing mind would sponsor someone who's openly admitted he doesn't like Sims 4 and constantly puts it down.

He is biased. He groans about stuff packs before he even starts the review. He didn't even review the makeup table, one of the major gameplay in the pack and barely touched butlers and how they're an improvement over Sims 2 and 3
  • ceinwynieceinwynie Posts: 162 Member
    I love his reviews, I think I watch him since ts3 and I love the way he show his opinions, sometimes he can be harsh and I think that he is tired of the sims franchise lately, but I prefer his reviews than watching a lot of youtubers screaming all the time, seriously, its very difficult to see a good review nowadays.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Loanet wrote: »
    Nikoa wrote: »

I'd say it's more because he's actually admitted he doesn't like Stuff Packs that much, regardless of their content. That's not exactly what I'd call unbiased reviewing, or going in with an open mind.

"OH NO! OUR EXPANSION IS TERRIBLE! WHATEVER SHALL WE DO ABOUT IT?! I KNOW, WE'LL NOT SEND A COPY TO LGR!"

No, he declined their contract. Their contract means you support, promote (in a positive manner) and advertise their games...you get paid monies, promotion, favoring, stuff and freebies. EA has been paying Youtubers for years with many other titles, it's no secret, it is just recently (a year or so ago) they have decided they would let it out they also pay Sims Youtubers.

If you watch his Pet Review In Progress video on YouTube you'll see that he was expecting a copy. He says he was hoping to have a review completed and posted today.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited November 2017

We can't even click on them to see the basic stats that we could in TS2. It's like having another "sim baby" on the lot. On top of that training is actually very easy and so is befriending strays, as there's no actual work that said animals can take, there's no challenge in playing with them, outside of being quite tedious.

How do you tell how old your pets are in real life? How do you check their skills?

How can you check the exact age of a person in real life? Where's the UI for that? Where's the UI for me to check an employee's exact skills measured on some weird level out of 10?

Where's my cowplant?

I totally agree with not controlling pets, but a UI which shows their age, personality, and skills is very important.
    Cinebar wrote: »

1. Teeth and bone structure/thickness of bones.
    2. By testing them
    :)

I agree I was shocked someone had already finished through the skills in fifteen mintutes of their game.

Then it'd be cool if we could go to the vet to see how old an animal is. I prefer not being able to see anything, call me weird. The traits actually matter for pets unlike most of them for Sims 4.

So far it's been enjoyable to adopt pets and guess their traits by their mannerisms. We don't have a giant ui for our pets irl, they don't come with a manual stating their pets.

We learn about their pets through their actions. My IRL cat Zelda, I know she doesn't like being held because she squirms and kicks. I know she likes Tuna and Fruit Loops because she goes absolutely nuts for then. She also doesn't like the kitchen and bathroom unless she goes in of her own free will.

Same in the Sims. My cat would not stop meowing at the door, turns out she was a prowler and wanted to go outside. So I built her a kitty door to go out and she regularly hints and brings back gifts. When my dog needs to pee he goes by the door and barks. When hes hungry hell whine in the kitchen.
    Yes, but LGR has ACTIVELY admitted he's biased against Stuff Packs. Just because he says negative things about a game doesn't make him a good reviewer. He seems to focus on the negativity a LOT.

We don't even know how he's going to review the game yet, but a lot of people think the game is awesome, and all the better for no direct control.

Mods seem to be pretty buggy right now, but that's just what happens.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Loanet wrote: »

They did this with the base game. To my recollection, absolutely no one got a review copy. Once the reviews started to come in, the reception was pretty lukewarm because the game was so danged empty.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top