Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Culling, Relationship Culling & Decay: Current Status

Comments

• SimGuruNickSimGuruNick Posts: 384 SimGuru (retired)
    edited November 2017
    Thank you so much for the updates, @SimGuruNick ! Should we still be expecting that culling is unhoused/unplayed only, but now unhoused/unplayed/unprotected only, or does the new mechanism replace that earlier one?

Any household in the "Other HH" tab is susceptible to culling, so yes this basically replaces the old mechanism. Just because a Sim is housed does not mean they are protected, if that household is under "Other".

That being said, just because a household is in the Other tab does not mean they will be immediately and 100% culled, only when it is necessary for the game to do so.

Also, if your active household has rel with a Sim who got culled, the household will receive a TNS from said Sim stating "hey I'm leaving town, see ya" or something similar.

edit: Just wanted to add that you'd only see the TNS if the culled Sim was living in the world, not if they're a townie/homeless Sim.
  • applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    What is TNS?
  • SimGuruNickSimGuruNick Posts: 384 SimGuru (retired)
    Oops sorry, I think it stands for Text Notification System? Something like that? It's the messaging system we have, the messages you receive in the upper right corner of your screen :)
  • applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    thanks
  • SkyeChimesSkyeChimes Posts: 376 Member
    Thank you @SimGuruNick ! Very helpful explanation! And I'm so happy about played sims always generating tombstones now and the control we have over how long the ghost stays!!! So happy!
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Thank you so much for the updates, @SimGuruNick ! Should we still be expecting that culling is unhoused/unplayed only, but now unhoused/unplayed/unprotected only, or does the new mechanism replace that earlier one?

Any household in the "Other HH" tab is susceptible to culling, so yes this basically replaces the old mechanism. Just because a Sim is housed does not mean they are protected, if that household is under "Other".

That being said, just because a household is in the Other tab does not mean they will be immediately and 100% culled, only when it is necessary for the game to do so.

Also, if your active household has rel with a Sim who got culled, the household will receive a TNS from said Sim stating "hey I'm leaving town, see ya" or something similar.

edit: Just wanted to add that you'd only see the TNS if the culled Sim was living in the world, not if they're a townie/homeless Sim.

Perfect - thanks!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    Okay! For those of you looking for a current status, the OP is updated here:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15366827/#Comment_15366827
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I'm so happy about the updates.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Is it true that family trees are completely protected so I won't have to hoard all these dead townies for family trees anymore? My dead definitely populate my town more than my living do (I never get any "new" ghosts on ghost nights since I have such a large surplus of dead sims... :joy: )

I wonder if there's a low-key secret "pool" for family trees or if they're completely protected forever? I have a lot of ghosts I sorta want to do away with, but I haven't skimmed every single sim's tree to see if they're important to save or not... And I rather would like to delete them if their portraits stay in the family tree anyway.
  • Livin in SimLivin in Sim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited November 2017
    :astonished: Oh, this is wonderful! The tombstone on lots where a housed Sim dies when the lot is not active--this is a huge improvement! Why was this not mentioned in the Patch Notes?! That's OK, I forgive you. :* 575 Sim count, whooop whooop!!

And the Notification about leaving town, wow, that's cool, even tho I will still keep MCCC in charge of culling. o:) Could this possibly mean that we will also get a Notification about Sims dying, so we can book on over to the lot before the timer on the tombstone for culling the ghost runs out? How long does the timer run, @SimGuruNick? (Wonders if we will get a Notif that a Sim in a non active household is about to die?)
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    edited November 2017
    @SimGuruNick
    You said Sims in the family tree shouldn't be deleted. Is there some conditions for that ? Like a limit on the number of generations, or being a favorite Sims at the time of death ?

If I launch my game, will my non-favorite Sims keep their non-favorite great-grandparents for example ? What about great-grandparents of favorite Sims ?

ETA : From what I'm seeing, Sims in the family tree can be assigned to the MINIMUM LOD but it has a cap of 100. Is there something else to keep thumbnails in the family tree when you've got more than 100 of them ?
    Post edited by Neia on
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited November 2017
    :astonished: Oh, this is wonderful! The tombstone on lots where a housed Sim dies when the lot is not active--this is a huge improvement! Why was this not mentioned in the Patch Notes?! That's OK, I forgive you. :* 575 Sim count, whooop whooop!!

And the Notification about leaving town, wow, that's cool, even tho I will still keep MCCC in charge of culling. o:) Could this possibly mean that we will also get a Notification about Sims dying, so we can book on over to the lot before the timer on the tombstone for culling the ghost runs out? How long does the timer run, @SimGuruNick? (Wonders if we will get a Notif that a Sim in a non active household is about to die?)

Oooh, I'd also like to know how long the timer runs!

In case you're not aware Livin in Sim, you can set up MCC to notify you when inactive Sims die. It would be great if we got a notification like in TS3 when someone was about to die.

I'm a little confused about how the population cap works now in vanilla because 575 is not one of the options in the culling management setup. (I will never use vanilla myself but am curious on behalf of players who don't use mods!)
    Terra wrote: »

Oooh, I'd also like to know how long the timer runs!

In case you're not aware Livin in Sim, you can set up MCC to notify you when inactive Sims die. It would be great if we got a notification like in TS3 when someone was about to die.

I'm a little confused about how the population cap works now in vanilla because 575 is not one of the options in the culling management setup. (I will never use vanilla myself but am curious on behalf of players who don't use mods!)

The population cap at 575 is when the game will delete Sims
    The culling cap you can choose is how many protected Sims you want

If you have less than 575 protected Sims, you'll have your protected Sims and the rest for townies, NPCs, etc
    If you have more than 575 protected Sims (so basically you have chosen the Unlimited option and you've got a really really powerful computer), you'll have your protected Sims, and the townies, NPCs will get culled all the time.

The townies, NPCs who aren't favorites have a bit less going on simulation wise than favorite Sims so choosing a lower cap will help with performance, even if you have lots of townies.
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    edited November 2017
    DELETED
    I no saw than since patch, there are 1 page of posts, including @SimGuruNick
  • FrosFros Posts: 38 Member
    Ok it said family tree stays intact when Sims are culled does that mean if my sim dies and then is culled he still be on the family tree even tho he culled but still be able to see his thumbnail on the family tree
  • ShareeSharee Posts: 242 Member
    They REALLY need to give us an option to turn off random sim generation.
    I have put countless hours into hand crafting my save file's sims and townies and before this latest patch, with the help of my 200+ created townies and mcc i almost never got a random sim generated, because my game didn't need it.
    Now however, since launch day the game has generated approx 160 sims for my game. I do not want nor do i need these sims.
    Something needs to be done asap.. it ruins my game play when im doing sim stuff with my favourite sims and these random sims come around.

I cannot be the only person with this issue nor the only one finding it stressful.
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Sharee wrote: »
    I have put countless hours into hand crafting my save file's sims and townies and before this latest patch, with the help of my 200+ created townies and mcc i almost never got a random sim generated, because my game didn't need it.
    Now however, since launch day the game has generated approx 160 sims for my game. I do not want nor do i need these sims.
    Something needs to be done asap.. it ruins my game play when im doing sim stuff with my favourite sims and these random sims come around.

I cannot be the only person with this issue nor the only one finding it stressful.

But are quite small percent those simmers. In fact random sims generations per se is not a problem, only if it cause culling of your townies
    (but you can protect them now)
    @Sharee
    If the game is creating new Sims, it needs them, it's the way it's programmed. When you go to the vet for example, it looks for Sims that match some filter (like having a pet). If there isn't any, it will create one. Sometimes the filters are a bit more complex (traits, age, at work or not, played or not, etc), so you may lack some specific types of households, that the new EP needs.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    When will we be able to delete sims from manage households again? I prefer to do my own culling as needed.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Sharee wrote: »

This drives me crazy, now we can't delete them. I spent yesterday fixing these creatures, all I can do is fix them as they come along.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    @Sharee
    If the game is creating new Sims, it needs them, it's the way it's programmed. When you go to the vet for example, it looks for Sims that match some filter (like having a pet). If there isn't any, it will create one. Sometimes the filters are a bit more complex (traits, age, at work or not, played or not, etc), so you may lack some specific types of households, that the new EP needs.

It needs to use the townies we already have. We don't need a hundred townies. That's nuts.
    edited November 2017
    Update:

There's no longer a bug in the My Households count.
    Details here: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/929836/november-15-2017-patch-notes#latest

@catitude5 Delete away! That's fixed now too.
  • AZgirl480AZgirl480 Posts: 4 New Member
    Question: I have some questions about the maximum world sim count..
    I read on here that the max sim limit is 575. But what about the 200 Max sim count on the game? Is that the same thing or something totally different? If I set the unlimited count, will it totally mess with my game?
    and does the culling happen no matter how many sims you have? I have 192/200.

Sorry for all the questions, I am just concerned for the fate of all my sims.
    AZgirl480 wrote: »
    Question: I have some questions about the maximum world sim count..
    I read on here that the max sim limit is 575. But what about the 200 Max sim count on the game? Is that the same thing or something totally different? If I set the unlimited count, will it totally mess with my game?
    and does the culling happen no matter how many sims you have? I have 192/200.

Sorry for all the questions, I am just concerned for the fate of all my sims.

There are two difference maximums:
    • The maximum world population - both Sims you can see and those you can't - is 575.
    • The maximum number of Sims you can protect from culling (by having them in "My Households" is what you choose for the My Households setting.
    The culling happens when the first number - the one the game isn't actually going to show you (but you can use mods to see it) - exceeds 575.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top