Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Culling, Relationship Culling & Decay: Current Status

Comments

• TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    @rosemow Thanks for that. Well, the in-game mechanic is still inferior to MCCC then so I'll stick with that once it's updated!
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    Terra wrote: »
    @rosemow Thanks for that. Well, the in-game mechanic is still inferior to MCCC then so I'll stick with that once it's updated!
    You’re welcome :)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    It hit my households after the recent patch.

Could you explain this before I even consider reintalling TS4 back to my pc.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    I wish they could make a mausoleum or something, where we could store our ghosts so they could become safe from culling. Or just make us a cemetary where they are safe too. I don't like putting gravestones in my sims yard, but now I'm all anxious that they will be culled if I don't!
  • CyclelegsCyclelegs Posts: 375 Member
    edited November 2017
    From this thread I understand that culling will only hit unhoused, non-played or non-favoured households.

This seems odd to me because the new Favourite Household system, with its population cap, seems to be a major change. It looks like a good system. However, if it only adds the ability to protect non-played and homeless households, I am not sure I see the point.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Cyclelegs wrote: »
    From this thread I understand that culling will only hit unhoused, non-played or non-favoured households.

This seems odd to me because the new Favourite Household system, with its population cap, seems to be a major change. It looks like a good system. However, if it only adds the ability to protect non-played and homeless households, I am not sure I see the point.

We still need clarity on which households can now be culled. Last time @Neia and I had a chance to chat, she expected to have some time coming up to look at the details. (I'm just back from a day away and haven't seen more info yet other than what @rosemow posted here.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    There's still a lot that's pretty vague about just what the culling rules are to me. But as far as I can tell regarding the new system, what they've done is essentially allow you to create a 'safe pool' that will always be immune to culling. The poorly explained "Max Sims" number is the maximum number of Sims you can add to the 'safe pool.' It has nothing to do with the maximum number of Sims you can have before culling is triggered, as far as I can tell.

This is all just my own understanding of the new system so far, which may be flawed.
    Pay for product -- not potential!
    Ayradyss wrote: »
    There's still a lot that's pretty vague about just what the culling rules are to me. But as far as I can tell regarding the new system, what they've done is essentially allow you to create a 'safe pool' that will always be immune to culling. The poorly explained "Max Sims" number is the maximum number of Sims you can add to the 'safe pool.' It has nothing to do with the maximum number of Sims you can have before culling is triggered, as far as I can tell.

This is all just my own understanding of the new system so far, which may be flawed.

It might not be flawed at all! I've not found much info yet. Hoping @Neia gets a chance to look at code! And I might nudge some SimGurus with questions tomorrow. In the past there's often been things they don't seem like they're supposed to explain to us about the system, though. Still, the "unplayed, unhoused" was from them, so an update would be awesome! @SimGuruNick does that seem like something you can update us on?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

It might not be flawed at all! I've not found much info yet. Hoping @Neia gets a chance to look at code! And I might nudge some SimGurus with questions tomorrow. In the past there's often been things they don't seem like they're supposed to explain to us about the system, though. Still, the "unplayed, unhoused" was from them, so an update would be awesome! @SimGuruNick does that seem like something you can update us on?
    @luthienrising This was Tweeted not too long ago:
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    Scobre wrote: »

@luthienrising This was Tweeted not too long ago:

That's a separate bug not related to the intended systems. Fortunately, it's avoidable :)
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    I've only taken a quick look through the culling code so far. Biggest patch ever meant longest download time too :/ Now that most of my mods are updated, I'll have more time to properly look at it.
    Neia wrote: »
    I've only taken a quick look through the culling code so far. Biggest patch ever meant longest download time too :/ Now that most of my mods are updated, I'll have more time to properly look at it.

You're ahead of me! I updated my threads before even downloading the patch :D (Next on my to-do!)
    If you're having a mismatch between the numbers you believe you've protected and the numbers you're seeing, here's some info:
    Dead Sims in your older save games are put into their own household that is hidden. These hidden households are unfortunately counting towards the Sim Count. This is something we'll need to fix on our end, but that's why you're having this issue :)
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16144909/#Comment_16144909

edited November 2017
    And an update:

Current Status (November 2017)
    • Individual households can be protected from culling.
    • Cap options are 50, 100, 200 (recommended), and unlimited. NOTE: This seems to be a cap on how many households you can protect, not on culling entirely.
    • The cap does not include dead Sims.
    • Favoriting a household does not protect Sims in that household after they die; protecting a ghost requires that it be added back to the household. Dead Sims are moved to a new hidden household, and automatically unfavorited.

Previous Status (December 2016) - some/all of this may still be true
    • The culling mechanism does not removed played or housed Sims.
    • Unplayed, unhoused Sims are culled (removed) from the game when the total population reaches about 305.
    • In addition, about 100 dead relatives stay visible in genealogy.
    If the game removes Sims in these categories, please zip up your Saves folder and report in the Bugs category or EA Answers Headquarters:
    • Any household living in a house or apartment
    • Any "Not in World" household marked "Played"

For now, if you want no culling at all, I'd suggest still modding till all the details on the new system are in.
  • SimGuruNickSimGuruNick Posts: 384 SimGuru (retired)

This is pretty much exactly correct. The My Households system lets you mark Sims as protected, but it does not prevent the culling feature from taking place. It just lets users specify which Sims they never want to see culled.

Also, family trees should not be getting destroyed. Even if a Sim was culled, their thumbnail in the family tree is supposed to remain intact. If anyone is seeing different, I would love for you to share a save file with me, thanks much! :)
    To further clarify, the Unlimited option for the Maximum Sim Count feature means you can add unlimited Sims to My Households, and make them protected. But they still need to be manually added to My Households.
    @SimGuruNick - Would you be able to clarify what the relationship is between the ghost culling rules under the new system and the new feature players have noticed where they can click on a tombstone to strengthen a Sim's connection to the physical world or let them fade away?
    It's funny you ask, I actually just posted about this in a separate thread haha, I can copy/paste:

Ghosts in households (including non-active and NPC households) that live in the worlds will generate tombstones upon their death, including when you are not on the lot and they die. Ghosts/Tombstones now have their own culling timer as well, that when going below a threshold the tombstone gets a new interaction called 'Strengthen Connection to the Physical World' which resets the culling timer for that Sim.

This way the user can control what dead Sims they want to keep around while letting others expire on their own. And when they expire they get sent to the netherworld and are culled.
    WHOA, so housed Sims will generate tombstones upon death even when we're not playing them??? @SimGuruNick
    That's correct. As long as they lived in a house you should be able to find their tombstone on their home lot.
  • pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member
    That's correct. As long as they lived in a house you should be able to find their tombstone on their home lot.

I have wanted this fixed ever since the beginning! Thank you so much! :)
    And if you can't find the tombstone on their home lot, possibly because the game couldn't find a good spot to place it, the fallback would be the family's Household Inventory :)
    OH MY GOD, I have wanted this for so long! This will make such an enormous difference in my rotational legacy play! Thank you, @SimGuruNick !
    Thank you so much for the updates, @SimGuruNick ! Should we still be expecting that culling is unhoused/unplayed only, but now unhoused/unplayed/unprotected only, or does the new mechanism replace that earlier one?
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member

This is wonderful! It's too late for Nadia Straud (Vlad's non-vampire daughter), but great news for the rest of the family.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top