Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I patched the game this morning, now none of my Book of Lifes work!

I downloaded a patch as it prompted me to do so, and then loaded my saved game. I have a few Book of Lifes for my three sims in the lot I actively play that are either in their inventories or in a book case. I only get the option to Put in Inventory or Place in World, but not to read them anymore. When I click on the ones in the book case for the two sims that moved out, however, it gives me a chance to read those. But those aren't the ones I want to read, I want to read the ones for the sims who reside in the lot I'm playing.

Anyone else have this issue?

I just wrote a new one by a character with the skill, and captured someone's Epic Saga, or whatever it's called. It doesn't work! The person who it's written for cannot read it! Once in their inventory, the only option is Put in World.

I hope this gets fixed soon! I depend on those books...
I use no mods or CC and I repair my game after every time I play.

Comments

• SimLibbySimLibby Posts: 668 Member
    My game is not yet patched. The game is still open, all day, and I want to wait with quitting the game (and patching) till I'am ready with what I'am doing atm. So now I can't relate to his problem you're experiencing.

I only want to say: on the gallery I have a Sim Jeshua Lazarus with the goal successful author completed. He only needs to write the Book of Life and the Legendary story. Don't change his life stage in CAS because then he will lose his possibility to write the book of life.

Maybe you can use him to test play. To see if he works, sort of speak.

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    Hello
    If you have cc/mods in your game, move your mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and see if the issues are still there.

If the issues still remain, repairing the game may help. To do that, go to games library in Origin, right click on the sims 4 picture and click repair
  • SineeaSineea Posts: 207 Member
    Update... *sigh* Books of Life on my sims appear to be truly broken. I have not used any custom content, mods, or cheats, since I installed this game on my desktop, and I am not using any currently. I have repaired the game twice. It did not fix anything.

I went to my other household with the sims that moved out of the house I'm playing now. At that household they also cannot use the book when I switched to playing those sims during troubleshooting. In both households, the one I'm playing now actively and of the sims I moved out a few days ago, there are books and objects they still cannot pick up or put in inventory because it says those items do not belong to them. This is true for copies of The Book of Life too. Though not all of them. Only for some books, The Book of Life shows the menu option to read it, but never by the sims it was bound to. Writing a new book and binding it does not help, either for sims in the current household or the other. I also got the option to capture the saga of a sim when I clicked on one of the books by a sim visiting that household that moved out by one of the sims in the household I currently play, who did not write it. I was pretty certain only the author was allowed to capture saga. If this is supposed to be the case then this is another bug that seems to be happening. So yeah, I don't seem to be able to get these books to work, no matter what I do, and I am worried it won't be fixed for my current game. I could try moving house but I really doubt the books will work once I am at the new residence, plus I will have to sort out all the stuff in the household inventory. Which is a lot, given that I have over half of the collections completed. Also, every time I moved, which has been like, three times, I have had more and more items turn out to be the kind that are no longer recognized as belonging to anyone in that household. So I get the "sim does not own this item" message. I can't move gems around unless I'm in build mode or put them in my inventory, or drag them to the trash, etc., and it's really annoying. I think moving will not only not fix my current problem, but exacerbate others. So, I'm pretty dejected right now.

For whoever cares to read about my prior, similar experiences with The Sims... and the life cycle my playing experience tends to be, feel free to read on. Maybe you'll relate to it.

I have played The Sims for years, off and on. The life cycle of my playing style has tended to be starting out with one or two sims, maxing all their skills, reaching the top of level of a career or two, and then getting bored. I like playing the games, but I haven't really engaged in creating intricate backstories, giving myself challenges, or getting too creative with my play styles. This is not because I'm not drawn to this aspect of it, I am, but so far I haven't had the time for it. I've always been in school, either in college, in graduate school, in more graduate school, etc. So, I play The Sims as a distraction on the side, while I study, write, and get other work done. When I start to get bored maxing out what's in the base game for me, though, I'm usually not ready to give up on the game. So I start to consider whether I should use cheats, mods, cc, etc. And with past versions of The Sims, I have. I also buy pretty much every expansion pack, except the ones I really do not care for. I carry on like this for a while, but inevitably, with the more expansion packs, mods, and custom content, along come the bugs. And I try to troubleshoot, fix, repair, etc., whatever is at my disposal. Sometimes these efforts help, but more often than not there is no solution short of uninstalling and reinstalling everything, losing my game, and starting over. Which, by the time it gets to this point, I am too frustrated to do. I lose a lot of time trying to fix things only to figure out I can't really fix it, and it kills the enthusiasm of playing for me. With The Sims 4, there is more to do, plus I have "been burned" in the past by custom content (which I don't really know if it was what broke my game or wasn't), but I haven't been as tempted or willing to risk it. I decided I didn't want to spend all that time troubleshooting and I am experienced enough to know that tech support kind of ends where mods and custom content begins. Basically, if you use it, there is no help unless you get rid of it. But alas, bugs started crawling into this game too, despite not using any mods or custom content, any cheats, and having a relatively high end and stable system. I can't harvest Fireleaf, so I can't finish an aspiration or complete my garden collection. I decided to ignore that because hey, bugs do happen even in base games. But now I can't use The Book of Life and without it I simply don't have the time to micromanage my sims to the extent I would need to right now. Someday I hope to be in a position where I simply just play without having to multitask, but I'm not that fortunate yet. I also don't have the time to keep repairing, troubleshooting, and trying to fix something that I have a feeling isn't mine to fix. I didn't change anything about my computer, I didn't install or remove anything, I didn't even install any Windows or other software updates since the last time I played it and it worked and now when it doesn't. All I did was install the latest patch. And if I am the only one or one of few that has the problem, I fear there is not going to be a lot of attention dedicated to getting this fixed any time soon. And I really don't feel like starting all over. I was in the thick of things. Just where I was accomplishing things that I wanted to have established so I could play in the way that works best for me. So the lifecycle of the way I've experience The Sims may be repeating for me. I'm sad, because I wasn't ready to stop playing. But it never seems to change. Once I play for a while it seems to be me against the bugs, and the bugs win out. I do hope this issue gets fixed soon, but I'm not too optimistic about it.
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello
    Are the sims that you have bound the book of life to stilll alive?

Yes, I have the aging off in the game menu. Absolutely nothing changed - all books worked fine, I went to sleep, I woke up, started the game, installed the patch, loaded the game, and they didn't work. No aging, no moving, no installation of other software or updates, nothing custom. Just the patch. Books don't work whether they were written and bound by humans or vampires, and they don't work in household I was playing when I logged out nor another household with sims that I moved out of this one. I am tempted to invite those two to move in and combine households, but if this doesn't fix the problem with the books, which I doubt it will, then I will have even more sims to micromanage. And if I move them out again, it may introduce more inventory bugs. I kind of feel stuck as any solution I am thinking of undertaking might make things worse instead of better.
    Try going to the main screen of sims 4, and click on the " load game " button.Click on your save game file picture. Then click on the " recover game " button down the right hand side bottom of the screen,. Press on an earlier version of the save game from the menu that pops up, that was before the patch.Then load that save game version and see if the issue is also in that save game version.
    Unfortunately there are only saves from today showing up. There is no scroll bar to go further. I tend to save quite often in case anything unfortunate happens, like a death or something.

a4b517cbdc2aed068648975aeaa3ab5f.png

I would need a save from some time around this time yesterday.

Is there any way to roll back a patch?
    edited November 2017
    I am sorry that you have this issue :( You are unable to roll back a patch.
    Try sellimg the bookcases, buy new ones and see if the issue remains,
    You could also try saving your sim who can write the book to your library. Then start a new save game, place the sim in the game, have them write a book of life and see if the issues in this new save game.

• busterlovessims3busterlovessims3 Posts: 29 Member
    I downloaded the patch today and now when I turn on my mods all of my controls disappear. so in CAS there are no controls to change clothes ect and in the game theres no toolbar or taskbar. has anyone else experienced this????
    edited November 2017
    I downloaded the patch today and now when I turn on my mods all of my controls disappear. so in CAS there are no controls to change clothes ect and in the game theres no toolbar or taskbar. has anyone else experienced this????

Hello @busterlovessims3
    This is caused by either the More CAS Columns mod or the UI Cheats extension mod. It would be best to remove these from your mods folder and then install the updated versions of the mods when they are released.
  • busterlovessims3busterlovessims3 Posts: 29 Member
    > @rosemow said:
    > busterlovessims3 wrote: »
    >
    > I downloaded the patch today and now when I turn on my mods all of my controls disappear. so in CAS there are no controls to change clothes ect and in the game theres no toolbar or taskbar. has anyone else experienced this????
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @busterlovessims3
    > This is caused by either the More CAS Columns mod or the UI Cheats extension mod. It would be best to remove these from your mods folder and then install the updated versions of the mods when they are released.

thank you SO much xxx
    > @rosemow said:
    > busterlovessims3 wrote: »
    >
    > I downloaded the patch today and now when I turn on my mods all of my controls disappear. so in CAS there are no controls to change clothes ect and in the game theres no toolbar or taskbar. has anyone else experienced this????
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @busterlovessims3
    > This is caused by either the More CAS Columns mod or the UI Cheats extension mod. It would be best to remove these from your mods folder and then install the updated versions of the mods when they are released.

thank you SO much xxx

You’re welcome :)
  • foursimsfoursims Posts: 3 New Member
    After I downloaded the patch I couldn't get the shrink objects to work and I'm so sad because it was the feature I was looking foward to the most! I tried every key possible :((
    foursims wrote: »
    After I downloaded the patch I couldn't get the shrink objects to work and I'm so sad because it was the feature I was looking foward to the most! I tried every key possible :((

Hello @foursims
    Repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated.
    Start a new game and test to see if the issue is in that new save game.
    Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" or "options" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder.
  • foursimsfoursims Posts: 3 New Member
    > @rosemow said:
    > foursims wrote: »
    >
    > After I downloaded the patch I couldn't get the shrink objects to work and I'm so sad because it was the feature I was looking foward to the most! I tried every key possible :((
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @foursims
    > Repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.
    >
    > Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated.
    > Start a new game and test to see if the issue is in that new save game.
    > Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" or "options" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder.

I had already repaired the game. I tried resetting the folder now, but it still didn't work :/
    edited November 2017
    foursims wrote: »
    > @rosemow said:
    > foursims wrote: »
    >
    > After I downloaded the patch I couldn't get the shrink objects to work and I'm so sad because it was the feature I was looking foward to the most! I tried every key possible :((
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @foursims
    > Repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.
    >
    > Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated.
    > Start a new game and test to see if the issue is in that new save game.
    > Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" or "options" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder.

I had already repaired the game. I tried resetting the folder now, but it still didn't work :/

Hello @foursims
    I am sorry that you are having this issue
    It would be good to post your feedback on this AHQ EA thread
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/New-size-down-cheat-not-working/m-p/6402628#M49512
  • MausMaus Posts: 2 New Member
    Was the original poster able to get the book of life working? I have run into the same issue where after the patch reading the book of life, to a living sim, is no longer working as an option. I had been using it for the 'needs' boost, not resurrection.

I was trying to get a feel if this was a general bug, or something that I could fix (which might be a while before I can find the time to walk through the fix process).
    Maus wrote: »
    Was the original poster able to get the book of life working? I have run into the same issue where after the patch reading the book of life, to a living sim, is no longer working as an option. I had been using it for the 'needs' boost, not resurrection.

I was trying to get a feel if this was a general bug, or something that I could fix (which might be a while before I can find the time to walk through the fix process).

Hello
    I am sorry that you also are having this issue occurring in your game.
    Try selling the computers and bookcases in your home, buying new ones and see if that helps.
    If the issues remain, try going to the main screen of sims 4, and click on the " load game " button.Click on your save game file picture. Then click on the " recover game " button down the right hand side bottom of the screen,. Press on an earlier version of the save game from the menu that pops up, that was before the patch.Then load that save game version and see if the issue is also in that save game version.
    Same here. I tested it with the Sim I mentioned earlier.

It started promising. I could write the Book of Life and bind it. After that I killed a Sim with MC CC. Which gave two error logs: last exception and error log in mc_cmd_center (not asking for help with this just reporting what happened). The option to summon this Sim was there but didn't work. I also killed another Sim (again errors), after binding the Book of Life to this Sim first. This time, the Book didn't have the option to summon.

I also tried a pre-patch game because I saw @rosemow suggested that earlier. This game was from June and has not been played or saved after the current patch. Again I could write the Book and bind it but after killing the Sim (again with errors, already reported it to DP), she just walked out of the lot and her picture disappeared from the user panel. No option to summon her. Reading her epic story also spawns an last exception. So this test was a fail too.

This is annoying. Game is update, MC CC is updated (392) and SSI is also updated with the update that was released earlier today.
    SimLibby wrote: »
    Same here. I tested it with the Sim I mentioned earlier.

It started promising. I could write the Book of Life and bind it. After that I killed a Sim with MC CC. Which gave two error logs: last exception and error log in mc_cmd_center (not asking for help with this just reporting what happened). The option to summon this Sim was there but didn't work. I also killed another Sim (again errors), after binding the Book of Life to this Sim first. This time, the Book didn't have the option to summon.

I also tried a pre-patch game because I saw @rosemow suggested that earlier. This game was from June and has not been played or saved after the current patch. Again I could write the Book and bind it but after killing the Sim (again with errors, already reported it to DP), she just walked out of the lot and her picture disappeared from the user panel. No option to summon her. Reading her epic story also spawns an last exception. So this test was a fail too.

This is annoying. Game is update, MC CC is updated (392) and SSI is also updated with the update that was released earlier today.

Hello
    Thankyou for your feedback on the issue. You may like to start a thread on the AHQ EA site about the issue
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/bd-p/The-Sims-4-Bugs
    Thankyou for your feedback on the issue. You may like to start a thread on the AHQ EA site about the issue

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Book-of-Life-doesn-t-work-as-it-should/td-p/6404207
    SimLibby wrote: »

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Book-of-Life-doesn-t-work-as-it-should/td-p/6404207

Hello
    It was good that you started a thread for this issue. Other simmers who have this issue can post feedback there also
  • chicvibechicvibe Posts: 61 Member
    check out SimsVip for a list of working script mods, a list of those that are incompatible, and those being worked on. It will really save you some heartache.
    chicvibe wrote: »
    check out SimsVip for a list of working script mods, a list of those that are incompatible, and those being worked on. It will really save you some heartache.

Hello
    This is the link to that Simsvip article
    https://simsvip.com/2017/11/07/incompatible-modsupdates-november-7-2017-patch/
    Okay well it looks like I will have to try some of the recommended methods to see if it fixes this, but honestly I doubt it will. I have a feeling this saved game is not going to have The Book of Life working properly again. I think the issue has to do more with the way households are handled, and moving out and inventory possessions than it has to do with the actual books, bookshelves, computers, or authors. Maybe there is an issue with the authors.

But anyway, here are some questions.

I deleted the bookshelves and computers from the two main households I have, the one I play actively and the one with two sims I moved out. I deleted all the books they had in their inventories, in the house, etc.

The thing is, one sim has homework. Does that count as "a book" and will this make it seem like the books are not indeed destroyed? Going back and writing another Book of Life and binding it to a sim didn't work (same problem) after I deleted all the books and computers, and repaired the game before trying, so I am wondering if the homework is a problem (didn't allow things to reset properly).

Also, while I don't play them actively, there are bookshelves and computers in other places in the neighborhood and other neighborhoods. For example, libraries. My sims also own a business and they sell computers. Do I need to go and delete all books, bookshelves, and computers from the neighborhood and from the other neighborhoods, or were you referring to just deleting the ones in my main household?

Since deleting books and computers doesn't seem to fix things, I want to try this recommendations next: "You could also try saving your sim who can write the book to your library. Then start a new save game, place the sim in the game, have them write a book of life and see if the issues in this new save game." I went to edit household but could not figure out how to save only the sim who can write to my library. Can you tell me how? I have not yet saved/imported any sims. Also, by starting a new save game, you mean just starting a new game, right? And then if the issue is NOT in the new game, what do I do from there? I can copy all my other sims to the library and go forth with this new save, however, will I lose my collections and other achievements? What exactly will I lose, as my goal now is to complete several collections that took quite a while to get to where I only need one or two things to finish. I don't mind losing the house and possessions, but I really, really don't want to put everything by hand in my sims inventory before saving them to library. Most of the collectables are either on display cases, on the walls, or in that box that stores stuff.

Thanks for the help and to others who reported problems with The Book of Life. I hope this issue gets resolved as soon as possible.