Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 2 won't work!

Just got the complete collection and it won't come on? It keep crashing all the time!
4Wv5dIG.jpg

Comments

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited November 2017
    And?
    What have you done to try and make it work?

Have you asked EA's Customer Service?
    Are you using the the Graphics Rules Maker?
    Have you changed your Graphics Rules.sgr?
    Have you searched for any of the info pages out there to get it to run?
    Are you on a laptop with Win10?

Here's the graphics rules maker- it does have helpful instructions. :)
    https://www.simsnetwork.com/simpedia/the-sims-2/editions/the-sims-2/specials/graphics-rules-maker-improve-compatibility-with

It also doesn't work for everyone. You'll have to look up Leefish Graphic for Sims 2 for more information.

There is also a lot of info here about editing the graphics rules.sgr
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/927363/sims-2-uc-just-updated#latest

Once you get it working, this mod will help with shadows.
    http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=569585
    It will go in Documents\EA Games\The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection\Downloads
    You will probably have to create a Downloads folder. Make sure it is Capital D in Downloads. :)

Post edited by Rflong7 on
  • That_Fat_CatThat_Fat_Cat Posts: 85 Member
    Do you have any idea why it's crashing?
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Just got the complete collection and it won't come on? It keep crashing all the time!

Do you mean The Ultimate Collection or the Mac Super Collection? I don't know anything about the Mac version, but for the UC did you run the Graphic Rules maker? It will crash if it does not recognize your video card. Here:

https://www.simsnetwork.com/simpedia/the-sims-2/editions/the-sims-2/specials/graphics-rules-maker-improve-compatibility-with

Depending on what card you have, the graphic rules may not work 100%, so far we have noticed it having trouble with the GTX 960 and above, but there are probably others as well. You may need to tweak it by hand a little, here:

http://simlili.tumblr.com/post/146373494212
  • StephSimStephSim Posts: 4 New Member
    I also just got the Ultimate Collection through Origin last week and it won't even start up. I have Windows 10, and it runs The Sims 4 completely fine, but when I try to start The Sims 2 up, I keep getting the DirectX 9.0c error about not having a compatible graphics card. I have been trying to find a solution for this ever since I had the error but I haven't found one yet. I've also tried running the game as administrator, and in compatibility mode but have had no success in starting The Sims 2 game up.
    StephSim wrote: »
    I also just got the Ultimate Collection through Origin last week and it won't even start up. I have Windows 10, and it runs The Sims 4 completely fine, but when I try to start The Sims 2 up, I keep getting the DirectX 9.0c error about not having a compatible graphics card. I have been trying to find a solution for this ever since I had the error but I haven't found one yet. I've also tried running the game as administrator, and in compatibility mode but have had no success in starting The Sims 2 game up.

You have to run the Graphic Rules maker to get the game to recognize your card. See the post above yours, the links you need are there. :)
    > @JULES1111 said:
    > StephSim wrote: »
    >
    > I also just got the Ultimate Collection through Origin last week and it won't even start up. I have Windows 10, and it runs The Sims 4 completely fine, but when I try to start The Sims 2 up, I keep getting the DirectX 9.0c error about not having a compatible graphics card. I have been trying to find a solution for this ever since I had the error but I haven't found one yet. I've also tried running the game as administrator, and in compatibility mode but have had no success in starting The Sims 2 game up.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You have to run the Graphic Rules maker to get the game to recognize your card. See the post above yours, the links you need are there. :)

I just tried to do what the links said and I still was unsuccessful in launching the game. Any other ideas/suggestions?
  • Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    > @JULES1111 said:
    >
    > I also just got the Ultimate Collection through Origin last week and it won't even start up. I have Windows 10, and it runs The Sims 4 completely fine, but when I try to start The Sims 2 up, I keep getting the DirectX 9.0c error about not having a compatible graphics card. I have been trying to find a solution for this ever since I had the error but I haven't found one yet. I've also tried running the game as administrator, and in compatibility mode but have had no success in starting The Sims 2 game up.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You have to run the Graphic Rules maker to get the game to recognize your card. See the post above yours, the links you need are there. :)

I just tried to do what the links said and I still was unsuccessful in launching the game. Any other ideas/suggestions?

Most likely you've missed a line in the graphics editor instructions, so do it again to check. Also make sure that you pointed it to the right graphics card if you have two of them.
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
    > @JULES1111 said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Make sure you follow the steps in both the Config folder and the CSConfig folder. Both folders need to be altered, they both have a graphic rules and video card files, they need to be the same. Like @Scribal_Goddess said, make sure you didn't miss a step, and if you have two cards you will have to force the game to use the one you want. i.e. like the Nvidia control center (or your cards equivalent)

I don't know what card you are using, but you may want to check to see if your drivers are up to date as well.
    Still no luck and I went back and reread and redid everything. I only have one graphics card so I know it couldn't have been that. Any other ideas? I really want to be able to play. Thanks for your help so far!
    Ignore my last comment, I updated my graphics card driver (which I didn't even know was a thing) and the game finally launched! Thanks for all of your help! :)
    Ignore my last comment, I updated my graphics card driver (which I didn't even know was a thing) and the game finally launched! Thanks for all of your help! :)

Hurray! Glad you got it working StephSim! Enjoy your game. :smiley:
  • pixelplaypenspixelplaypens Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi, I've been having so much trouble with my game suddenly. It was running fine last night until I exited out and now suddenly it won't run at all. I have contacted 6 people about this issue at EA until I was directed here to ask for help!

I've tried troubleshooting with the following suggested ways:

1. Disable firewall and antivirus:

Windows 7: Please temporarily disable your firewall and antivirus

Windows 8: Please temporarily disable your firewall and antivirus

2. Run as Admin:

1. Logout from origin and close the origin login window
    2. Locate the origin icon on your desktop.
    3. Right click on the origin icon.
    4. Select the Run as Admin option.
    5. Login into origin and then try to download/Install/Run the game.

3. Asking for Dxdiag:

To understand the cause of your issue, I need the dxdiag details of your system. Please provide me the Dxdiag of your system.

4. Reset Internet settings:

Please reset your default internet settings using help of Microsoft Help article

You need to download and run the automatic wizard for the windows 7 system using help of this article.

You may give below script to customer if he is asking for reason to use Internet Explore for that.

Internet explorer settings are default settings for windows system. The internet settings from control panel of Microsoft windows system used the same as settings used in Internet explorer.

5. Disable origin ingame:

Please launch the Origin client. Then go to the Origin menu, Application Settings, Origin In Game, and then uncheck "Enable Origin In Game." After that try again to run the game.

6. Origin clear cache:

1. Please click on the origin menu on the top left of origin window and select Exit option.
    2. Please hold down the Windows key and press R. (This will open the Run dialogue.)
    3. Type %ProgramData% and press enter to open ProgramData folder.  
    4. Delete origin folder from this ProgramData folder.

7. Run PC in Safe Mode with Networking:

1. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from computer, and then restart computer.
    2. Press and hold the F8 key as computer restarts.
    Note: You needs to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you need to restart system again.
    3. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode with Networking.
    4. Log in to computer (ensure you are logging in as the Administrator).
    5. Complete the download/installation and then restart PC as normal
    8. Run Ccleaner:

Please clean registry, clear cache and temp files

9. UAC Disable:

If you have “User Account Control” enabled, this can sometimes cause this issue. Please disable UAC and then try running your game.

10. Safe Mode with Networking (For download/installationa issue)

1. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from computer, and then restart computer.
    2. Press and hold the F8 key as computer restarts.
    Note: You needs to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you need to restart system again.
    3. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode with Networking.
    4. Log in to computer (ensure you are logging in as the Administrator).
    5. Complete the download/installation and then restart PC as normal.

11. Reset Host file

For Windows 7:
    Click on the "Fit it" link and run the fix, this will reset the Hosts file.

For Windows 8.1:
    Follow the steps outlined under "Let me fix it myself" on the same page as above

NONE of these have worked, I've updated my graphics rules and completely removed CC. I'm at a loss. Any help would be wonderful!
    Geez they had you go through all that! They have no clue what they are doing... how pathetic they sent you here for help. :D

Anyway try this. Go to Documents -> EA Games -> Sims 2 UC -> at the bottom of all the files you will see 2 files. The groups.cashe and the accessory.cashe. Delete both of these. Sometimes these files get so bloated that the game won't start. It is safe to do, it only holds temporary info. Also if you used body shop there will be a third file called Cigen.cashe or Cigen.package, delete this also.

Next go into your neighborhoods folder, at the very bottom you will see a file called neighborhoodmanager.package delete that file. Not the whole neighborhoods file, just that one inside it.

Next try to launch the game and see if it helped. If not try to move the entire Sims 2 UC file to your desktop. Try to start the game, it will generate a new folder, see if it runs that way. If it does you can just copy your important files (downloads, neighborhoods, ect) to the newly generated folder. If not then it is more of a pc issue then the game itself.

What do you mean you updated your graphic rules? Another thing to try is to see if your graphics card has any driver updates available. Sometimes games won't launch if the drivers are not up to date. This is rare, but I have seen it happen, happen with UC in fact.
  • pixelplaypenspixelplaypens Posts: 2 New Member
    > @JULES1111 said:
    > Geez they had you go through all that! They have no clue what they are doing... how pathetic they sent you here for help. :D
    >
    > Anyway try this. Go to Documents -> EA Games -> Sims 2 UC -> at the bottom of all the files you will see 2 files. The groups.cashe and the accessory.cashe. Delete both of these. Sometimes these files get so bloated that the game won't start. It is safe to do, it only holds temporary info. Also if you used body shop there will be a third file called Cigen.cashe or Cigen.package, delete this also.
    >
    > Next go into your neighborhoods folder, at the very bottom you will see a file called neighborhoodmanager.package delete that file. Not the whole neighborhoods file, just that one inside it.
    >
    > Next try to launch the game and see if it helped. If not try to move the entire Sims 2 UC file to your desktop. Try to start the game, it will generate a new folder, see if it runs that way. If it does you can just copy your important files (downloads, neighborhoods, ect) to the newly generated folder. If not then it is more of a pc issue then the game itself.
    >
    > What do you mean you updated your graphic rules? Another thing to try is to see if your graphics card has any driver updates available. Sometimes games won't launch if the drivers are not up to date. This is rare, but I have seen it happen, happen with UC in fact.

You are an absolute genius, I could hug you. I had been talking to people for literal hours and you solved it in a split second!! Thank you SO much. I had updated my drivers, used the Graphics Rules Maker, done everything on that checklist and NOTHING was working. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!
    > @JULES1111 said:
    > Geez they had you go through all that! They have no clue what they are doing... how pathetic they sent you here for help. :D
    >
    > Anyway try this. Go to Documents -> EA Games -> Sims 2 UC -> at the bottom of all the files you will see 2 files. The groups.cashe and the accessory.cashe. Delete both of these. Sometimes these files get so bloated that the game won't start. It is safe to do, it only holds temporary info. Also if you used body shop there will be a third file called Cigen.cashe or Cigen.package, delete this also.
    >
    > Next go into your neighborhoods folder, at the very bottom you will see a file called neighborhoodmanager.package delete that file. Not the whole neighborhoods file, just that one inside it.
    >
    > Next try to launch the game and see if it helped. If not try to move the entire Sims 2 UC file to your desktop. Try to start the game, it will generate a new folder, see if it runs that way. If it does you can just copy your important files (downloads, neighborhoods, ect) to the newly generated folder. If not then it is more of a pc issue then the game itself.
    >
    > What do you mean you updated your graphic rules? Another thing to try is to see if your graphics card has any driver updates available. Sometimes games won't launch if the drivers are not up to date. This is rare, but I have seen it happen, happen with UC in fact.

You are an absolute genius, I could hug you. I had been talking to people for literal hours and you solved it in a split second!! Thank you SO much. I had updated my drivers, used the Graphics Rules Maker, done everything on that checklist and NOTHING was working. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Lol your welcome! Glad you have the game working again. Was it the cache files? You should get into the habit of deleting those regularly, they bloat up after a while. Happy simming! :)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Delete the Cigen cache files, too, since they bloat really bad and slow down everything because the game has to load those every time. I had over 9,000 cache files yesterday since I am in Bodyshop almost every day making custom clothes. It can cause the game just to stop responding and would take a long time for it to start responiding and finally load. It's important if you create a lot of Sims for your game and or are in Bodyshop or CAS often.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.