Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member

@ciane , nice build. You inspired me to start work on mine. :)

Thanks to your discussion with @aricarai I learned about the alt-foundation and alt-stairs technique. I was able to fix a problem I had with my first attempt at this house (I wanted the foundation to be 3 stairs high.)

• cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member

OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #196 - The Third Sister - Carrie

NAME: cwaddell

LINK TO LOT: not yet uploaded

LINK TO MEDIA: Prairie House

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: NA

LEVEL: intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 30X20 , 378 Skyborough Blvd in Sunset Valley, $41,126

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Prairie House - It has a great room with kitchen, dining and living areas and 1 bedroom with an attached bathroom. There is also an additional smaller bathroom with shower on the main floor. There is a pool in the backyard surrounded by a high fence. For added privacy and security a burglar alarm is installed on the front porch. There is also a basement with roughed in exercise area, bath and recording studio with sound booth that can be completed when the client has more funds. There is enough room in the great room for the band to jam together. There are 3 areas for potential expansion.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: B5 Studio for windows and exterior doors from their Grant Park craftsman collection

• creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    Horray, my Sims cooperated all weekend!

@cwaddell Oh how lovely! I love that basement! (... darn, I shoulda done a basement LOL)
    edited November 2017
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #196 - The Third Sister

NAME: creativemetaphor

LINK TO LOT: not uploaded

LINK TO MEDIA: Inside Out
    2-exterior-6.jpg

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: n/a

LEVEL: advanced

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 18 Maywood Lane, Sunset Valley - 20x30. Final cost: 45,000!

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: I decided that she hated having to tend a yard - all the mowing and weeding! So the yard consists of wood, stone, and water - the only plants are in containers or water-loving that don't need much attention, though she has plants all throughout the indoors as well. The only bit of landscaping is in the front yard to help it blend with the neighborhood.

The entire house was built to blur the lines between the outdoor and indoor spaces, with almost solid windows along the back to let the natural light in and capture the view overlooking the yard which has ample living space to expand into, perfect for entertaining small, intimate groups.

Inside, the home features an open living area with a futon-inspired sofa, a low coffee table, and lots of pillows for maximum comfort around the fireplace. There is also a two-story bay of windows with window seats. The kitchen has the usual appliances, plus a dish washer and coffee maker. The dining area has a table for four beside a 'green wall' where an indoor plant that has grown quite all over the shelves there. Also on the main floor is a powder room just off the entry hall and next to the stairs.

Upstairs has the main bedroom and en suite, plus a large loft rec room - the one space where she can not worry about keeping things in order. Here she can chill and watch tv, do aerobics, play her bass, or work on business stuff, all while enjoying the natural light and view of her back yard. If she ever needs it, this area can be framed in to become a future guest bed and bath.

The master suite also has a view overlooking the back yard, with curtains for privacy when required, creating a cozy bay window. Cushions and pillows soften the edges of the master bedroom. A glass-enclosed shower with built-in seat, stone floor, and toilet room offer a sense of indulgence in the en suite.

The back yard uses three levels to separate the spaces. The main deck off the kitchen has an outdoor shower, training dummy, and yoga mat for exercising in the fresh air. The raised deck juts over the pond below and has seating for four, next to a juice bar. The ground level has a fire pit and grill. There is also a partially curtained lounge area surrounded by the pool, offering seclusion and relaxation to anyone willing to get wet to get there.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes please

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: n/a
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    I love your builds, and did leave comments in both your threads. Now, whatever will we do the rest of the month, huh?

And, I tried that alt foundation trick. LOVE it! Too bad it doesn't let you do that again with placefriezes cheat!

• BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    ATTENTION 11/07/2017
    As of the next challenge #BnS197 we will no longer accept media hosted on photobucket. Since they made the changes to their site earlier this year, it has become less and less easy to judge your entries. We understand that this will stump and confound some of you, however, we want to give your creations the attention they deserve and this is becoming more difficult when we have to use photobucket as the source site. There are plenty of other photo sharing sites out there, imgur, picassa to name just two. Please understand that we do not wish to alienate anyone, or put off anyone from participating, we just want to be able to give the time and concentration each and every one of your builds deserves.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    ATTENTION BEGINNER ENTRANTS FOR #194 - THE HAWTHORNE PROJECT

Your results are now available here.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    ATTENTION INTERMEDIATE ENTRANTS FOR #194 - THE HAWTHORNE PROJECT

GArBA5W.jpg
    As a non-conventional photo-hosting suggestion, wordpress offers free blog services, which includes media hosting. I have been using that for all my photos recently.
    edited November 2017
    As a non-conventional photo-hosting suggestion, wordpress offers free blog services, which includes media hosting. I have been using that for all my photos recently.
    Thanks for the suggestion @creativemetaphor.

GArBA5W.jpg
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member

I just opened a new Flickr account. Even if you have an existing one you can open a new one with a new email address and password.

I put all the pictures for this challenge in an album and I believe I will be able to share it here. I think that @djsdragongirl is using this already.
    edited November 2017
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM Challenge #196 - The Third Sister - Carrie

NAME: Kgaff

LINK TO LOT: not uploaded

LINK TO MEDIA: https://www.flickr.com/photos/154029363@N06/albums/72157688993311234

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: n/a (unfortunately I deleted the Four Sisters challenge to make room for new things :(

LEVEL: Intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 30x30, 20 Hidden Grove Lane, Riverview, 44,986

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS:

38190672356_ffe4ea65a7_c.jpg

I went with a semi modern contemporary style of house this time. I choose this because it can be modern, comfy and traditional all at the same time.

Carrie is a brave daredevil with a very friendly side. I also thought of her as athletic and loving the outdoors. I think her house brings the outdoors in with lots of windows and a patio with a vine covered pergola. Back yard landscaping is minimal in order to keep the backyard open for sports.

The open floor plan works well in this small house giving small area a light and airy feel. Instead of doing a formal dining room, I thought a huge island with a bar and seating all around would be fun for her. My tester sim tried it out and it works great.

As far as expansion goes, there is plenty of room left on this 30x30 lot or the house could easily be placed on a larger lot. The master bedroom is large enough for two with the en suite bathroom with walk-in shower.
    There is a second room currently being used as an office that would be easily converted into a second bedroom should the need arise.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: N/A
    Post edited by Kgaff on
    @Kgaff - you can still post your pics on a thread here hon, that's no problem, it's just when we're directed to a photobucket album we have problems.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    LOVE your build Kgaff! The landscaping, fencing, roof line, brick, and overall shape are just fantastic! Great layout too!
    edited November 2017
    @Kgaff I love that bar!!! That is awesome. The whole house is lovely, especially that roof line! <3 (it's the architect in me) Which makes me appreciate those little details like the tile behind the fireplace

It's cool how we ended up using several of the same patterns or objects and yet our builds look completely different :)
    Thanks @ciane I had fun with this one
    @Kgaff I love that bar!!! That is awesome. The whole house is lovely, especially that roof line! <3 (it's the architect in me) Which makes me appreciate those little details like the tile behind the fireplace

It's cool how we ended up using several of the same patterns or objects and yet our builds look completely different :)

I didn't notice how many things I used that you did, I just went back and checked yours out again. The fireplace embedded in the wall is cool (will the wall catch on fire?) Oh and the bar stools in wicker was a great idea.

How did you make the coffee table and sofa in the living room, I have an idea what you did but I'm not sure :*
    ATTENTION BEGINNERS ENTRANTS TO #195 - THE WISHES OF THE DEAD

GArBA5W.jpg
    ATTENTION INTERMEDIATE ENTRANTS TO #195 - THE WISHES OF THE DEAD

GArBA5W.jpg
    edited November 2017
    ATTENTION ADVANCED ENTRANTS TO #195 - THE WISHES OF THE DEAD

GArBA5W.jpg
    @Kgaff haha! Okay, so both the coffee table and the couch use two squares of platform to make that raised bit. For the couch, I went into the foundation, raised the terrain up as far as I could under the floor, then placed the couch on the ground, so that when you go up to the main floor it peeks just enough to show the top of the seat! The obvious downside to this is it isn't actually functional, but since I've long since given up that requirement and go purely for what I want it to look like, it worked! When I was looking for ideas, I found a picture that had this super low furniture in the living room and knew I just had to try to recreate it :)

Wall *shouldn't* catch on fire... I don't think? :wink:
    @creativemetaphor Haha!! I was totally wrong about how you made them!!! Only you could come up with such an "out of the box" idea! Love it. I also love the wall of windows at the back. I could imagine this house being up high on a hill with sweeping views.

@ciane I just realized you already have your done like two days after the challenge is announced. What gives, how do you do it so fast? I too wish we could see more pictures :( I wanted a closer look at the front where you have multiple roof parts.

@cwaddell I love the ranch style and your use of a contrasting wall color around the window works great!! I love the windows and doors you used and some of the small clutter items are so cool. Too bad I'm on a CC diet, I'd like have this in my game. :)
    @Kgaff - It was the weekend and I was in the mood to build!

I love the hip roof. It's my fav and I tend to use it a lot. I just like the nice angling down in all directions. BUT, a roof needs variety, so I added a half hip in front and backed up the gable one tile so there was angle down from it all around. I did the same in the back. So the 6x3 roof section has a gable added over the half hip that is only 4 wide by 2 deep, leaving a tile all around.
    @kgaff okay now I really want to know how you think I made them LOL

I also love the wall of windows. This is one of the houses I could really see myself living, which isn't always the case.

@ciane I like the gable out of the hip ends, also. Very nicely done :)
  • djsdragongirldjsdragongirl Posts: 843 Member
    Kgaff wrote: »
    I just opened a new Flickr account. Even if you have an existing one you can open a new one with a new email address and password.

I put all the pictures for this challenge in an album and I believe I will be able to share it here. I think that @djsdragongirl is using this already.

Yes Flickr is what I use and I put all of the photos in albums, Flickr works much better than tinypic.com that I use to use. Since I'm also in SecondLife doing weddings I sometimes put pictures from those as well in my Flickr, but it makes it easy so that people can see the photos.

I also have to say @Kgaff I love your entry. So roomy! :)
    Hoping some more entries come in after Thanksgiving. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top