Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For ALL Simmers: What Age Group Do You Belong To?

Comments

• ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    ehaught58 wrote: »
    Erpe wrote: »
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    So nobody’s going to say anything about the 1-9 year-old vote?

LOL! I got a good laugh out of that one! Actually, I did Google what age group was considered appropriate for TS4 and I came across a few people stating that they allow their 4 and 5 year olds to play and thought it was completely appropriate for them! Go figure... :neutral:
    The german USK rating for TS4 is still 6+ which means that they see the game as suitable for 6 yrs old children. The site https://www.spieleratgeber-nrw.de/Die-Sims-4.4657.de.1.html which gives advice also about the pedagogical rating recommends the game for children who are at least 10 yrs old though. I have also seen older teens write that they began to play the previous Sims games already when they were 6-8 years old.

So while I agree with you that it probably was a joke when somebody here wrote that he/she belonged to the 1-9 yrs age group it isn’t because I don’t think that children in that age group sometimes play the game. It is just because I don’t think that those very young simmers are in this forum anyway ;)

Right, I know that someone may have done it as a joke, but I would not have added that category had I not researched it before hand. Maybe age 1 was a little low...LOL :smiley:
    I agree that we can’t be sure that there aren’t any 9 yrs old simmers in this forum and maybe even an 8 yrs old or 7 yrs old. So setting the lower limit of course wasn’t easy. But I think that you would have been safe if you had written 7-9 yrs old because a 6 yrs old simmer would at least have needed help to participate in the voting anyway ;)
    As a retired computer teacher, I don’t think you give enough credit to kindergarteners and 1st graders.
    The problem is though that even though they may be able to play the game with a little help from a parent or older sibling - they usually aren’t able to read a forum like this one ;)
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    I dont think that the the focus on teens are the problem. I myself is an teenager and I want maxis to return the emotional part of the sims, since that is one of the reasons why previous games are great. I miss surpises, burglars, The creepy death music when the reaper comes, I mean scary music in live mode, Reactions that are meaningful, A better jelousy, so on and on. I am not the only one who wants this since I know a lot of teenagers who play this game. Maxis may not seem to push the game into its full potential because they could possibly offend anyone (cough acne in parenthood cough the slapping with sims who cheated cough) but if they need to add tose features to make the sims 4 a better game why not? Then we had complaints(this part is not related to the offending thing i mentioned earlier) Abductions have been lessen because of complaints, now it almost never happen. There are times that maxis shouldn't listen to complaints. Many payed money for Get To Work and if you liked the abductions, isn't it dissapointing that the feature that gives you surpising gameplay was toned down withou even informing the player? Sometimes they need to ignore their players, ignore if it could possibly offend anyone because if a specific feature can give players more in depth features, more npc, etc. Why would they throw the idea away? Its not the age demographic thr problem, Its maxis not trying to take the risk to make The Sims 4 a better game.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited November 2017

LOL! I got a good laugh out of that one! Actually, I did Google what age group was considered appropriate for TS4 and I came across a few people stating that they allow their 4 and 5 year olds to play and thought it was completely appropriate for them! Go figure... :neutral:

There are a few people in this forum that approve of this age group playing. In fact this subject came up the other day in tech section here with two people. ;)

Interesting poll!
    I don’t see the focus on teens as the problem either. Or at least I wouldn’t if it really was true. But for me to see it isn’t really because the game sure isn’t targeted at 16-19 yrs old teens more than it is targeted at adults. Also if 16-19 yrs olds were the target then EA wouldn’t have fought so extremely hard for keeping the ESRB’s T rating when the ESRB threatened to change the rating to M unless EA removed the code which could remove the blur in the bathroom.

So the game’s target isn’t older teens but instead it must be the very youngest teens. And EA doesn’t have more respect for the ESRB than that EA of course wants preteens to play the game too if only their parents will allow it. And I think that a lot of parents actually do that in spite of the T rating. So as I see it the problem much more is that the game in reality is targeted maybe even more at 11-13 yrs olds than it really is targeted at real teens.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member

The german USK rating for TS4 is still 6+ which means that they see the game as suitable for 6 yrs old children. The site https://www.spieleratgeber-nrw.de/Die-Sims-4.4657.de.1.html which gives advice also about the pedagogical rating recommends the game for children who are at least 10 yrs old though. I have also seen older teens write that they began to play the previous Sims games already when they were 6-8 years old.

So while I agree with you that it probably was a joke when somebody here wrote that he/she belonged to the 1-9 yrs age group it isn’t because I don’t think that children in that age group sometimes play the game. It is just because I don’t think that those very young simmers are in this forum anyway ;)

That's hilarious, it's rated M in Australia.
    Most people would let a 5 year old play, but I don't think anyone would buy it for a five year old.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2017
    TS1299 wrote: »
    I dont think that the the focus on teens are the problem. I myself is an teenager and I want maxis to return the emotional part of the sims, since that is one of the reasons why previous games are great. I miss surpises, burglars, The creepy death music when the reaper comes, I mean scary music in live mode, Reactions that are meaningful, A better jelousy, so on and on. I am not the only one who wants this since I know a lot of teenagers who play this game. Maxis may not seem to push the game into its full potential because they could possibly offend anyone (cough acne in parenthood cough the slapping with sims who cheated cough) but if they need to add tose features to make the sims 4 a better game why not? Then we had complaints(this part is not related to the offending thing i mentioned earlier) Abductions have been lessen because of complaints, now it almost never happen. There are times that maxis shouldn't listen to complaints. Many payed money for Get To Work and if you liked the abductions, isn't it dissapointing that the feature that gives you surpising gameplay was toned down withou even informing the player? Sometimes they need to ignore their players, ignore if it could possibly offend anyone because if a specific feature can give players more in depth features, more npc, etc. Why would they throw the idea away? Its not the age demographic thr problem, Its maxis not trying to take the risk to make The Sims 4 a better game.
    The problem isn’t so much the focus in itself, the problem is they added this image to it concerning ‘what teens love’. Katy Perry for instance. Do I need to say more B) If they’d approach the concept teens in a different way I wouldn’t have an issue with it. I’m totally fine with the way the other games treat some things in life to make sure it’s T rated, that’s not where my frustrations lie. Again, ‘teens’ are not the problem here.
    5JZ57S6.png
    Movotti wrote: »

That's hilarious, it's rated M in Australia.
    Most people would let a 5 year old play, but I don't think anyone would buy it for a five year old.
    I know that the game is rated M in Australia and even as an adults-only game in Russia. But those countries are exceptions. In Germany the previous Sims games were rated as “suitable for all ages” and in almost all other European countries the previous Sims games were rated as 7+ (suitable for kids who were at least 7 yrs old) by PEGI which is the rating organisation that almost all European countries use. (PEGI changed the ratings from 7+ to 12+ only because the UK demanded it when the UK also joined PEGI. But Germany uses their own USK organisation who therefore still rates all the Sims games as 6+)

The problem isn’t 5 years olds. But how parents react when their 9-12 yrs old daughter wants to get the game because she saw it or tried it during a visit to a friend. And I still think that a lot of parents will allow her to get the game. (But of course much fewer parents in Australia and Russia than especially in Germany and other European countries.)
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I actually did start playing The Sims 1 when I was 9 years old. Of course, I think the base game was rated E then. But then my sister and I got the T-rated EPs, and House Party was quite risque, lol. Of course, we never got the full implication of the "cake dancer" until we were older, so I think everything's well-hidden under a layer of innuendo (for kids at least). :D
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Oh, and I started posting on the Sims forums when I was around 11. I think I conducted myself well for the most part. I only got warned once, and that was for talking about a certain TS2 mod object to fix a problem, which wasn't allowed to be mentioned due to its M-rated features, even though the context I mentioned it was pretty PG-13. :D I wouldn't be surprised if there were actually more kids around here.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • AdrianT95AdrianT95 Posts: 9 New Member
    I belong to ages 20-29, I started playing the sims 3 when I was 13 years old but recently I've started on the forums :)

I've played all of sims game, and now I have installed on my computer TS2, TS3, TS4. But my favourite is TS3

Greetings :)
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I probably would have started playing the sims when I was a lot younger if I knew it existed. I got Facebook when I was 9 because I wanted to play the games and my mom was tired of me always using her account. So I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of little kids playing this game because some parents will let it slide or they will give the kid the money to buy the game without checking the rating. I wouldn't say it's because they are bad parents. It's because some kids are sneaky and can get around their parent's rules.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I've been playing the Sims for half of my life, so it's been a big part of my gaming experience. I remember I started because I was growing out of barbies and wanted to continue those stories in my teen years and then I saw a tv commercial of the Sims and I've been hooked ever since. As much fun dressing up babies were as a kid, Sims are just so much more interactive and easier to tell stories with.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    edited November 2017
    kaiwrysims wrote: »
    I probably would have started playing the sims when I was a lot younger if I knew it existed. I got Facebook when I was 9 because I wanted to play the games and my mom was tired of me always using her account. So I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of little kids playing this game because some parents will let it slide or they will give the kid the money to buy the game without checking the rating. I wouldn't say it's because they are bad parents. It's because some kids are sneaky and can get around their parent's rules.
    Sometimes this could happen of course. But I don’t believe that it happens very often because most parents will always check the rating if their kid wants a game that they don’t know. But many parents don’t just trust the official ratings and especially not if their kid then tells them that another kid of the same age or maybe even younger is playing the game already. Then many parents will instead ask the parents of the other kid who then likely will tell them a little about the game which they have seen their own kid play and maybe also have examined themselves. Then the first parents often will feel that they can let their kid play the game too when the other parents don’t see any problems. Besides that I would actually recommend the game myself if I was asked by some parents because I don’t see any harm in letting kids play with a game where the sexual content is so relaxed and with “Barbie dolls” who don’t even have genitals.

But times changes and there was a time (at least about 50 yrs ago) where children weren’t allowed to play with dolls at all if it was possible to remove the doll’s underwear (such dolls were even illegal to have in the stores). This isn’t the case anymore at all in my country even though it maybe still may be true in some other countries?
  • kittykateyeskittykateyes Posts: 41 Member
    20 to 29 Friday is my birthday!!!!
  • MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    It's not about what can kids/teens can handle, it's more about what parents will let them handle, I remember a mom asking advice on Reddit saying her kid/teen (I don't quite remember the age, but it was something like 12 years old if I remember correctly) wanted to play the game, but that she was worry about the woohooing asking if it was showing the act or nudity, and people told her that it was fine nothing was shown, but hearts and some movement, but yea it's not about what kids/teens can handle, some parent will follow the rating.

So yea in this case it's more about if they changed the rating some kids/teens might not be able to play the game anymore because their parent don't want to, and according to EA teenage girls are their target so yea.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited November 2017

Well ironically I started TS1 at 6 years old thanks to my older brother introducing it to me. He always looked it as a "video game" dollhouse, and he knew it would be something that I'd be interested in. However after we played it, even he noticed it was soo much more. I still remember how many good quests were sparked from our gameplay sessions back then. Thinking about it though, I didn't play the sims on my own untill I was 10-ish and TS2 was released.

I never really expected many years later that my 4 year old son would be into it :lol:. But I guess history repeats itself. He's really creative and obviously I do monitor everything. But similar to my young experience with the sims, I notice he's learning a lot of things from asking questions. The more he learns, the more he understands (to an extent on certain subjects lol). And maaybe one day when he's around 10-11 i'll allow him to play the game on his own as I was able to. That begin said though, by then a lot of the questions he had at a young age are at least known from our current gameplay times (and well from life's questions in general lol).
    Post edited by Dreamie209 on
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    Forums are a relic of the past now. I'm not surprised most of us here are in our late 20s and 30s. We remember the times forums were pretty much the only way of interacting with people on the internet, besides like chatrooms but it wasn't so easy to find people with common interests there :p I use twitter and other modern social media platforms but I like the vibe forums have. I want to share my sims pictures without having to worry about getting followers first, I don't have time for that.

And I never understood the initial surprise and outrage re: TS4 focus demographic, by the way. The franchise has gone a full circle. How old most of us were when TS1 came out? If not teenage, then in our 20s. It's time for EA to make sure the next generation finds the Sims to be a somewhat iconic pop culture element just like we did when it first sucked us in. They don't want they playerbase to be the same old people who grabbed original The Sims in 2000 and stayed, they want the kids too, so the kids get as obsessed as we did and are still playing in their 20s, 30s, 40s... If the game does well, in another 15-20 years they're gonna do it again. It's only natural.
    agustd wrote: »
    Forums are a relic of the past now. I'm not surprised most of us here are in our late 20s and 30s. We remember the times forums were pretty much the only way of interacting with people on the internet, besides like chatrooms but it wasn't so easy to find people with common interests there :p I use twitter and other modern social media platforms but I like the vibe forums have. I want to share my sims pictures without having to worry about getting followers first, I don't have time for that.

And I never understood the initial surprise and outrage re: TS4 focus demographic, by the way. The franchise has gone a full circle. How old most of us were when TS1 came out? If not teenage, then in our 20s. It's time for EA to make sure the next generation finds the Sims to be a somewhat iconic pop culture element just like we did when it first plum us in. They don't want they playerbase to be the same old people who grabbed original The Sims in 2000 and stayed, they want the kids too, so the kids get as obsessed as we did and are still playing in their 20s, 30s, 40s... If the game does well, in another 15-20 years they're gonna do it again. It's only natural.
    "The next generation" will find a good game when it sees one. No need to start pulling them in based on this questionable image of 'what teens want', trying too hard. If you want to go wrong with teens, that's the way. And no need to make all those other age groups feel like they don't matter. "Ya, sure, buy the game if you want to but it's not like we're making it for you."

5JZ57S6.png
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member

And I never understood the initial surprise and outrage re: TS4 focus demographic, by the way. The franchise has gone a full circle. How old most of us were when TS1 came out? If not teenage, then in our 20s. It's time for EA to make sure the next generation finds the Sims to be a somewhat iconic pop culture element just like we did when it first plum us in. They don't want they playerbase to be the same old people who grabbed original The Sims in 2000 and stayed, they want the kids too, so the kids get as obsessed as we did and are still playing in their 20s, 30s, 40s... If the game does well, in another 15-20 years they're gonna do it again. It's only natural.

Though I know it will never happen, wouldn’t it be great if EA put out 2 versions of the Sims? One created for the younger crowd and one for the more mature crowd? Problem solved!
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

"The next generation" will find a good game when it sees one. No need to start pulling them in based on this questionable image of 'what teens want', trying too hard. If you want to go wrong with teens, that's the way. And no need to make all those other age groups feel like they don't matter. "Ya, sure, buy the game if you want to but it's not like we're making it for you."

Yeah, that's what I don't understand :| Can't say TS2 and TS3 weren't catering to teenagers too. Still remember the Hillary Duff TS2 promotions. Let's not even mention Katy Perry :p And yet, the games offered a little something for everyone. Somewhere along the way wrong people got to the top of the ladder and pushed their wrong outlook on teenagers on the game, it seems. I've noticed some people really struggle to understand what it means to be a teen in this day and age. I'm pretty sure the TS4 decision makers haven't actually interacted with one since they were in high school themselves.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2017

Yeah, that's what I don't understand :| Can't say TS2 and TS3 weren't catering to teenagers too. Still remember the Hillary Duff TS2 promotions. Let's not even mention Katy Perry :p And yet, the games offered a little something for everyone. Somewhere along the way wrong people got to the top of the ladder and pushed their wrong outlook on teenagers on the game, it seems. I've noticed some people really struggle to understand what it means to be a teen in this day and age. I'm pretty sure the TS4 decision makers haven't actually interacted with one since they were in high school themselves.

Girls that code visit EA and Maxis all the time - they are teens.

https://www.ea.com/news/girls-who-code-2017-recap

The game was always designed for teens (or 12) and up - it was Will Wright whose daughter influenced his first The Sims and she was 12 almost 13 at the time - so he wanted it to always fit that idea. I believe EA will always respect that.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

Though I know it will never happen, wouldn’t it be great if EA put out 2 versions of the Sims? One created for the younger crowd and one for the more mature crowd? Problem solved!
    I think that's why I liked the Sims 2. It had the main series and the life stories series which was nice having different specs for different computer types. Plus My Sims was nice to appeal to a younger crowd. I think the Urbz were made for an older crowd. Sims Medieval seemed to be made for an older audience too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller

Couldn't agree more.
    5JZ57S6.png
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Girls that code visit EA and Maxis all the time - they are teens.

https://www.ea.com/news/girls-who-code-2017-recap

The game was always designed for teens (or 12) and up - it was Will Wright whose daughter influenced his first The Sims and she was 12 almost 13 at the time - so he wanted it to always fit that idea. I believe EA will always respect that.
    Will Wright, though asking his daughter advice because she apparently had some useful things to say, most definitely didn't just focus on teen girls. In fact he stopped using the game's initial working title Dollhouse because it put off males.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Simulator4Simulator4 Posts: 652 Member
    So we're all pretty sure TS4 decision makers have no teenaged children, teenaged neighbors, teenaged siblings.