Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"family play" Is very frustrating

13...Next

Comments

• samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    samlyt22 wrote: »
    Washing dishes doesn't take that long.
    Your sims must live in a tiny house.
    Mine do not, it takes them ages to collect all the dirty dishes. I got them a dishwasher to try to save time. But when some of the family have been eating downstairs, and others upstairs, and there are plates and bowls on the floor near the sofa, and on the bar, and left in bedrooms.... it takes a lot of time to find them all.

My sim children get up about 6, bathe, toilet and eat breakfast, go to school, then get home and do their homework, eat dinner, then have a few hours to do what they want before going to bed around 11.
    Mine get up at about six, and barely have time to shower, use the toilet and eat breakfast. They usually get home not in the mood for homework, so play or watch tv to improve their mood, then it's either dinner or homework, and they're in bed by around 9-10. If I send them to bed later, they don't get enough sleep. Especially when they wake up from nightmares and won't go back to sleep, or get woken by a toddler who had a nightmare. :/
    it makes sense that the sims reflects that, especially since it's based in America.
    And yet, they try to be global in other aspects of the game. :/
    I think longer school days are more to fit in with the parents working than because it's a benefit to the child.
    that is the sad truth.
    Kids are better off if school starts at 9 or later, and teens with it starting at 10 or later.
    And 4-5 hours of school per day is plenty. More than that is just time wasting.
    Childcare is just so expensive that I doubt many would want school days getting shorter. With actual work here it depends on where you work, some places say it's fine to leave at the end of the work day and some expect you to stay late and respond at all hours of the day. I've had jobs where I was paid hourly yet still expected to stay late if I needed to without extra money.
    Society needs to change. Kids are important, but they're not currently treated as such.
    Anyway I feel this kind of things varies a lot from country to country so it makes sense that the sims just sticks with how it is in their country.
    And yet, the game lacks newspapers and table phones. :/

Oh I see, all of my sims eat in the dining room and clean up after eating. They'll occasionally eat in the living room if they want to talk to others but then I'll just have them wash the dish once done.

You should get night lights for their rooms to stop them being woken by the monster. If you keep an eye on the toddlers when they sleep you should be able to cancel them waking up siblings if they have a nightmare. You could always try to purchase some reward traits from the store for the parents, there's traits to make them hungry less often, need to shower less, barely need the toilet and need less sleep.

They try to be global where possible but with something like the school system they need to pick one way of doing it since different countries have contradictory ways of going about it.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    You should get night lights for their rooms to stop them being woken by the monster.
    I added the nightlights not long after I posted this thread. It's not the monster that wakes them, it's nightmares. Probably caused by everyone being angry or sad all the time.
    If you keep an eye on the toddlers when they sleep you should be able to cancel them waking up siblings if they have a nightmare.
    That won't stop the siblings from also having nightmares.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    You should get night lights for their rooms to stop them being woken by the monster.
    I added the nightlights not long after I posted this thread. It's not the monster that wakes them, it's nightmares. Probably caused by everyone being angry or sad all the time.
    If you keep an eye on the toddlers when they sleep you should be able to cancel them waking up siblings if they have a nightmare.
    That won't stop the siblings from also having nightmares.

Children aged sims don't have nightmares so they should sleep through the night if you have the nightlight. As for toddlers, reading them to sleep should prevent nightmares. I know you're struggling for time but if them waking in the night is taking up more time then it might be worth trying to fit it in, at least until they get their thinking skill up.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    > @Movotti said:
    > samlyt22 wrote: »
    >
    > Washing dishes doesn't take that long.
    >
    >
    >
    > Your sims must live in a tiny house.
    > Mine do not, it takes them ages to collect all the dirty dishes. I got them a dishwasher to try to save time. But when some of the family have been eating downstairs, and others upstairs, and there are plates and bowls on the floor near the sofa, and on the bar, and left in bedrooms.... it takes a lot of time to find them all.
    >
    > My sim children get up about 6, bathe, toilet and eat breakfast, go to school, then get home and do their homework, eat dinner, then have a few hours to do what they want before going to bed around 11.
    >
    >
    >
    > Mine get up at about six, and barely have time to shower, use the toilet and eat breakfast. They usually get home not in the mood for homework, so play or watch tv to improve their mood, then it's either dinner or homework, and they're in bed by around 9-10. If I send them to bed later, they don't get enough sleep. Especially when they wake up from nightmares and won't go back to sleep, or get woken by a toddler who had a nightmare. :/
    > it makes sense that the sims reflects that, especially since it's based in America.
    >
    >
    >
    > And yet, they try to be global in other aspects of the game. :/
    > I think longer school days are more to fit in with the parents working than because it's a benefit to the child.
    >
    >
    >
    > that is the sad truth.
    > Kids are better off if school starts at 9 or later, and teens with it starting at 10 or later.
    > And 4-5 hours of school per day is plenty. More than that is just time wasting.
    > Childcare is just so expensive that I doubt many would want school days getting shorter. With actual work here it depends on where you work, some places say it's fine to leave at the end of the work day and some expect you to stay late and respond at all hours of the day. I've had jobs where I was paid hourly yet still expected to stay late if I needed to without extra money.
    >
    >
    >
    > Society needs to change. Kids are important, but they're not currently treated as such.
    > Anyway I feel this kind of things varies a lot from country to country so it makes sense that the sims just sticks with how it is in their country.
    >
    >
    >
    > And yet, the game lacks newspapers and table phones. :/
    >
    >
    > Jordan061102 wrote: »
    >
    > I don't even know about what you are talking. I had 2 kids & 2 toddlers and I had the time to teach them responsability etc. The mom did all this alone cause the father was at work. And it was more difficult cause they lived in a appartment with the neighbors who woke up each night all the family. So I really don't understand, maybe it's you who don't have a good managment of the time.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Did you miss the part where I'm having glitches. It's a bit hard to blame my time management when sims just stand and stare into space when I direct them to do things. It's a bit hard to blame my time management when the things I have directed them to do just get deleted from their queue.
    >
    > How is it my time management when the mother wakes up nearly peeing her pants, freaks out about needing to go to the toilet, goes to the bathroom, stares into space for a while before using the toilet, by which point one of the toddlers is in a bad mood due to hunger and needing to use the potty?
    > Sometimes I have to send the mother to bed, regardless of what her other needs are, because if I don't she will pass out on the floor. :/
    > If she didn't spend so much time just staring into space when I've directed her to do something, then maybe she'd get the tasks done on time. The game is glitchy and broken. Sims should not stare into space for half an hour before engaging in a task.
    >
    >
    > Maybe I should move them into a single story shoe box, with all the facilities within a single square of each other. That's gotta be how you're doing it.

Yes unfortunately with a big house, everything takes forever. I had to put the nursery on the ground floor because so much time was wasted when toddlers have to go downstairs for everything (and even now, they often walk all the way to the living room to eat instead of eating in the kitchen).

Same as you though, if they go to bed too late, they're tired the next day (even with the night light), and they definitely don't have time to pee/eat/shower in the morning LOL. But yeah... big house. Not tiny apartment. Mostly, even if I feed the toddlers before putting them in bed, they're starving again before being even fully rested, so sticking to a schedule never works.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    I keep a highchair on the lot, not so much for use, as to have the new foods associated with it. Instead, I've made it a point to keep extra dining room chairs against a wall, a bench on the patio and if there's room a bear-chair in the kitchen. Then I allow the toddler(s) to grab a serving from the same meal as the rest of the family. So much easier that way. I don't worry much about the time of day. I'm back to how I played in Sims2. Clock, what clock? LOL I would often have the kids sleep after school and then get them up in the middle of the night to do their homework. Then put them back to bed to catch the rest of the Zzzz they need to fill their bars.

These days I'm really bad. I'm now no longer wrangling my Sims, so much as I cheat them happy — my how I have changed. I never do that for the toddlers, however. Just the child Sims on up. Don't beat yourself up. Play in whatever way gives you pleasure. I play to relax, so I know how stressful you must feel. Life isn't perfect, so why should our game play be so? I do the best I can, I have fun and I just don't worry about it.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SlyvanasSlyvanas Posts: 855 Member
    For me, this is the type of gameplay I strive for. Its challenging and unexpeced and random.

I never use the highchairs simply for the reason alone of the sims keeps picking them up and putting them back down. and I just use MC command center to turn off the monsters under the bed. But to each its own! I looooooove having large households (Talking about 8 to 10 sims) cause its just so much can happen. I find having single sims really boring . Then again it took me a long ,long looooong time to really like the Sims 4 for what it is
    oxv0Rm8.png
  • SimstopicsSimstopics Posts: 107 Member
    Jeez, there's some negative Nancy's in here :D I play with families that have the two parents, and up to 6-8 kids and now with 2-4 pets (mods to allow more than the 8 in case you're gonna comment about that).

Time management as someone else said is a big factor that it seems like a lot of people don't know how to do. I own all the packs and family play is a major factor in why I've put thousands of dollars (literally) into The Sims Series from The Sims to The Sims 4 and everything in between. Parenthood really added a lot of family gameplay that makes the game so much better. Of course I'm not going to offer to reimburse any of you who don't like it since its your decision to purchase it and if you're really that unhappy with the game then maybe you just should just stop playing it.

Everyone talks about these glitches and bugs and I'm over here having no bugs and glitches at all so I guess I'm one of those lucky ones who actually can enjoy their game lol. ;) It is just a game after all. I don't know about any of you, but besides for also modding for this game and keeping up with my mods, I have a real life with a real life toddler which is probably what helps me use that time management skill into The Sims.

Also if you feel like it takes too long to do any actions, there are mods (if you're not object to those) that speeds up eating, showering, etc. It may be worth it for you to check it out and see if that makes the game more enjoyable to you.
    PS4: InDebtShopaholic, BrokeShopaholic, DaRealShopaholic
    Xbox: BrokeShopaholic
    Steam: BrokeShopaholic
    Origin: Simstopics
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited November 2017
    I think the problem is that there are a total of 5 kids, two of which are toddlers. I try to plan my families so that there isn't more than one toddler at a time. Two or more is a real headache. Now imagine a pet on top of that. Chaos. Too much chaos for my taste.