Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Another year... another half baked EP

1234568...Next

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I will be honest I have seen pet beds that are just a comfy mat, either way most cats and dogs don't care... on Sims 3 I bought my cat a cat condo and the cat still chooses to sleep on a newspaper, and oddly that's how must pets are in real life! For instance I bought my RL German Shepherd a comfy pet bed to go in her igloo house and she pulled it right out and tore it up, she absolutely did not want that thing in her house, she prefers just an empty house with a dog light in winter. I even have a mini igloo for my RL cat and she don't want to sleep there she'd rather sleep in trees... I have also seen many other RL animals that just don't want all of that, they'd rather sleep on a floor over a comfy bed which I admit is odd but that's just how they're made. In the beginning pets never had all of this fancy shmancy stuff, they used to be strictly outdoors, but because of man most are pampered an raised indoors.
    You can train the pets (yes you can, even though they are controllable), praise them for sleeping there. When you do that often enough they’ll sleep there autonomously.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    HucklekreeHucklekree Posts: 129 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    How is it possible that out of all the sims games, TS4 takes the longest to release new actual content and manage to be incomplete every time.
    Pets, by far are always my favorite EPs and when they announced cats and dogs I was happy, but seeing the livestreams, all my excitement is gone. Besides CAP , nothing in this game is outstanding. All I see are limitations. No doghouse, two lousy “beds” for pets, dogs can’t sleep with their owners, a vet career that isn’t even a vet career, it’s just a business, no tiny pets. Honestly they only had to focus on gameplay for cats and dogs, and it’s as empty as ever. I mean they have no horses and not even tiny pets to worry about, so why on earth is it lacking so much content? The world is also pretty small, and imo is not the best one they have come out with. I’ll wait for the last livestream, but for now it just seems like a poorly made EP.

Couldn't have said it better so I won't l. ;)
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    samlyt22 wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Monday wrote: »
    Okay, so, I know there's a whole thread dedicated to this elsewhere, but.

I don't understand the whole 'no doghouses' thing. The EP has pet-sized doors. One could easily build their own doghouse, yes?

I know, it doesn't have the woohoo/sleep etc options if you build your own, but, build your own doghouse, or even a dog palace, and slap a bed in there.

But, then again, I want the world more than the pets, I don't think Brindleton Bay is too small, and I'm very happy that the pets are not controllable.

I feel like it's reasonable to voice some concerns that seem glaring, but after a certain point you have to draw the line and just wait until the EP comes out. You can speculate and let developers know what you want, but you cannot review a product without playing it firsthand or at the very least, knowing all of the details...details that will not be known until it is released and people play it in full.

When I first saw the Parenthood trailer, I wasn't impressed. Having watched all the official videos (note Cats and Dogs has one more official livestream to go) and then playing Parenthood, I love it.

So. I don't know. There's a fine line between expressing concerns and bashing something before experiencing it. Etc etc.

The problem with building your own dog house is you can't place roofs on half walls. If you use regular walls the dog house would be gigantic and be more akin to a dog shed. Not everyone wants giant dog houses as it looks a little erm unusual.

The other problem is if the house has a foundation, the dog house will also have a foundation and that looks a bit silly for a dog house.
    It would be great if they’d allow roofs on half walls in a patch then. Maybe something for the Ideas corner? (or maybe they thought of it already)

Maybe they will implement it. Does seem bizarre to go from having nine dog beds in the sims 2 to I believe almost as many in the sims 3 to then go to a grand total of two flat rug things in the sims 4. I would love to know the Gurus logic.

There were only 2 dog beds in 3 as well, one for big dogs and one for small dogs. I wasn't on the forums at the time but from the way people are acting like 2 pet beds is a new thing I'm assuming they weren't criticised for that last time, if so it's not surprising they thought 2 would be enough this time. Can't say I like the style of them as I would prefer a more traditional pet bed but the number came from 3 not 4.

Pet beds in Sims 3 were actual pet beds not floor mats. Additionally pets could sleep in the pet houses, or on any bed/couch. We get get 2 floor mats in Sims 4 that they are calling pet beds. There’s no pet houses, and dogs can’t sleep on beds at all. The criticism is beyond justified.

It’s also important to note that The Sims 3 Pets Limited Edition content included additional pet content. That was the only edition available for a good minute after it released, so there were technically 3 pet beds in Sims 3 not counting the various other places both cats and dogs could sleep.

The lack of attention of these items confuses me. They've stated it was to spend time on other things, but what other things? This iteration of pets is literally called Cats & Dogs for the first time in the franchise's history. Shouldn't you spend a good amount of time on these objects which cats and dogs regularly use?
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    OP, what do you mean a vet career that is not a vet career? :O I see the vet sim doing the checks and diagnosing the animal. The vet career looks even more fleshed out than the doctor career in GTW. So, I'm not understanding your disappointment in this aspect.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Fonxi121994Fonxi121994 Posts: 457 Member
    edited November 2017
    DeKay wrote: »
    OP, what do you mean a vet career that is not a vet career? :O I see the vet sim doing the checks and diagnosing the animal. The vet career looks even more fleshed out than the doctor career in GTW. So, I'm not understanding your disappointment in this aspect.

It's like when your Sim owns a retail store or a restaurant, the game does not count those as real jobs so your Sim will be "unemployed" even when the're technically a vet.
    We need a self employment system like we had in TS3.
    The changes came slowly at first. Most didn't realize, or didn't care, and accepted them. They chose a comfortable life.
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    I have yet to catch up with streams and all the official info, but what worries me is we haven't been shown many interactions between cats and dogs. I found previous iterations to be lacking in this department. If anything about the new pets is an improvement, I hope it's the way they react to each other and play together.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2017
    agustd wrote: »
    I have yet to catch up with streams and all the official info, but what worries me is we haven't been shown many interactions between cats and dogs. I found previous iterations to be lacking in this department. If anything about the new pets is an improvement, I hope it's the way they react to each other and play together.

My cat - in real life absolutely hates dogs of any kind and any size. She certainly would not play with any - not even puppies. She scared the begolly out of an 8 week old lab puppy that was as sweet and loving as a puppy can be. I had to yell at her as she wanted to scratch his eyes out. Funny thing my cat is 12 and is an indoor cat her whole life - it does not matter how often visitors come with their doggies - she hates them and no power on earth could make her play with them. So in my world cats and dogs do not play together - believe me. On the other hand she loves humans of all ages.

All 3 of my sons own dogs and bring them when they visit - and all 4 dogs are petrified of my cat - lol. We are talking - a huge great Dane, a full bloodied Pit Bull, a Little Lhasa Apso, and a big Golden Retriever. They all get along great together, but not my cat with them.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

My cat - in real life absolutely hates dogs of any kind and any size. She certainly would not play with any - not even puppies. She scared the begolly out of an 8 week old lab puppy that was as sweet and loving as a puppy can be. I had to yell at her as she wanted to scratch his eyes out. Funny thing my cat is 12 and is an indoor cat her whole life - it does not matter how often visitors come with their doggies - she hates them and no power on earth could make her play with them. So in my world cats and dogs do not play together - believe me. On the other hand she loves humans of all ages.

This is breed dependent, not to mention individually dependent.

I for one would be shocked if I saw a Cocker Spaniel or a Tortoiseshell cat not get along with each other, because both are way too friendly and/or relaxed to default to aggression or fear. Other dog breeds seem to be prone to chasing cats as though they were prey, while some shorthair cats have a reputation for being skittish.

Since the game makes no actual distinction between breeds though beyond aesthetics, it's not gonna recognize these differences and all of them will act the same. Also willing to bet that in typical Sims 4 fashion, they're more prone to friendliness than fear or aggression.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited November 2017

I agree some will not tolerate each other, one of our cats will not tolerate my dogs even the puppies. But our other cat on the other hand adores the dogs and sleeps with them and plays with them. She is extremely patient and she's great with ten Labrador puppies who just see her as a moving furball.

So I would like to see some interaction and not just them ignoring each other (I'm not saying that's what happens in game, I haven't seen any interactions) because to ignore each other would be a little unrealistic.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2017

I for one would be shocked if I saw a plum Spaniel or a Tortoiseshell cat not get along with each other, because both are way too friendly and/or relaxed to default to aggression or fear. Other dog breeds seem to be prone to chasing cats as though they were prey, while some shorthair cats have a reputation for being skittish.

Since the game makes no actual distinction between breeds though beyond aesthetics, it's not gonna recognize these differences and all of them will act the same. Also willing to bet that in typical Sims 4 fashion, they're more prone to friendliness than fear or aggression.

My cat is a Norwegian Forrest Cat - Long haired, Black and white (mostly white). She just hates all dogs period - she has no issues with any other kind of pets though - just dogs. She does not run from them - she goes after them. I usually Have to lock her in the bedroom to keep her away from all the doggies.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited November 2017

I for one would be shocked if I saw a plum Spaniel or a Tortoiseshell cat not get along with each other, because both are way too friendly and/or relaxed to default to aggression or fear. Other dog breeds seem to be prone to chasing cats as though they were prey, while some shorthair cats have a reputation for being skittish.

The game does kinda make a distinction, though. They've said that cats & dogs are automatically assigned traits that are specific to their breed (in CAP, at the very least.)
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »

The game does kinda make a distinction, though. They've said that cats & dogs are automatically assigned traits that are specific to their breed (in CAP, at the very least.)

Listen, I get I have no evidence against this, but personally...? There are certain gameplay features that devs are prone to promising, but are never actually a thing. This, for me, is one of those. I'll believe it when I see it, and until then, I'm HIGHLY skeptical this is a thing.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    edited November 2017

All 3 of my sons own dogs and bring them when they visit - and all 4 dogs are petrified of my cat - lol. We are talking - a huge great Dane, a full bloodied Pit Bull, a Little Lhasa Apso, and a big Golden Retriever. They all get along great together, but not my cat with them.

I'll agree with @DeservedCriticism and say this is both breed and individually dependent. It's a known fact cats and dogs can't always be friends but see, my personal experience is, when you raise cats and dogs together since they're puppies and kittens, they'll not only coexist peacefully but will also play with one another. Not to mention this is a cartoony, overdrawn game we're talking about. It's a game where a child is delivered through some monstrous, futuristic device that pulls out a sim's heart for a moment so I wouldn't expect them to approach cat and dogs relations 100% realistically. It's all about the cute, mosty, has always been.
  • Options
    surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member

How would they do that? Aren't there like 100 breeds...? Unless those traits are very straightforward like "nice" breed or "aggressive" breed. But again, how could they even do THAT? (Since that's more an opinion I'd think) idk, i agree with @DeservedCriticism well see
  • Options
    samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    surraaaaaa wrote: »

How would they do that? Aren't there like 100 breeds...? Unless those traits are very straightforward like "nice" breed or "aggressive" breed. But again, how could they even do THAT? (Since that's more an opinion I'd think) idk, i agree with @DeservedCriticism well see

They mean that each breed is given an automatic trait out of the traits we are given to choose from. So a breed that's normally friendly would start out with the friendly trait as one of it's 3 but we could then change it to something else if we wanted.
  • Options
    linkinsenpailinkinsenpai Posts: 25 Member
    > @DeservedCriticism said:

> I for one would be shocked if I saw a plum Spaniel or a Tortoiseshell cat not get along with each other, because both are way too friendly and/or relaxed to default to aggression or fear. Other dog breeds seem to be prone to chasing cats as though they were prey, while some shorthair cats have a reputation for being skittish.

FYI, tortoiseshell is not a breed. Tortoiseshell cats, which are virtually the same as calico cats, have a gene that can only happen with XX chromosomes. It's only a physical trait and theoretically any two cats could have a tortoiseshell, although with selective breeding it doesn't happen as much.
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited November 2017

My cat is a Norwegian Forrest Cat - Long haired, Black and white (mostly white). She just hates all dogs period - she has no issues with any other kind of pets though - just dogs. She does not run from them - she goes after them. I usually Have to lock her in the bedroom to keep her away from all the doggies.

My Siamese was exactly the same. A dog or puppy in her house? Never! She would attack any that ventured into her territory, growling and biting. The bravest of dogs, the most cat-hating of dogs (my nephews) would cower under the dining room table while she pranced around on top.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,565 Member
    I will reserve my judgment until the game drops and I've had a chance to play it.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited November 2017
    @Orchid13 wrote: »
    How is it possible that out of all the sims games, TS4 takes the longest to release new actual content and manage to be incomplete every time.

Not a surprise, The Sims is the only franchise which brings more money to EA with half-baked content.

Andrew Wilson – "The Sims is a very valuable brand for us ( aka 💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰), a very valuable IP. And it’s a genre in which we are essentially unchallenged on any platform for that matter."

Blake J. Jorgensen – "And I just — since we’re on The Sims, I’ll just throw in one more, that, as you can see or hear from the prepared text, we’ve mentioned The Sims a couple of times, The Sims 4 as a major driver in the growth ( aka 💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰) in the quarter."
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on