Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 is doing good

Comments

• MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    ehaught58 wrote: »
    Mendota wrote: »
    Yes for Sims 4! My favorite of the series. The best one for my storytelling. And @ehaught58, why not read the article and see for yourself what is meant by doing well. I don't understand why those of you who make it a point to say how much Sims 4 disappoints you continue to show up here to complain. I hated Sims 3 with a passion, but I never went to the forum to dump on it and it's fans. Why do all of you keep doing this? And don't tell me it is to "make the game better", if by better you mean, more like Sims 3 or Sims 2. I am not going to argue about what someone prefers. We are all different people. But I truly don't understand the continued rants and complaints toward something others are enjoying.

@Mendota I am glad that you enjoy TS4 and I really wish that I could, too. I am sorry that we don’t share the same point of view, as I am speaking from a builder’s perspective and I am really disappointed with the build mode part of the game. I can see why you, as a story teller, love this game, but that is not my forte. I simply replied to the title of the thread. My reply was completely on topic, whereas your reply to me might be perceived as someone trying to derail this thread. Let’s please keep it on topic. :)

My reply was on topic just as much as yours was. Your reply was being negative about the game's success. My reply was being positive about the games success and asking a legitimate question.
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    ehaught58 wrote: »
    Yes for Sims 4! My favorite of the series. The best one for my storytelling. And @ehaught58, why not read the article and see for yourself what is meant by doing well. I don't understand why those of you who make it a point to say how much Sims 4 disappoints you continue to show up here to complain. I hated Sims 3 with a passion, but I never went to the forum to dump on it and it's fans. Why do all of you keep doing this? And don't tell me it is to "make the game better", if by better you mean, more like Sims 3 or Sims 2. I am not going to argue about what someone prefers. We are all different people. But I truly don't understand the continued rants and complaints toward something others are enjoying.

@Mendota I am glad that you enjoy TS4 and I really wish that I could, too. I am sorry that we don’t share the same point of view, as I am speaking from a builder’s perspective and I am really disappointed with the build mode part of the game. I can see why you, as a story teller, love this game, but that is not my forte. I simply replied to the title of the thread. My reply was completely on topic, whereas your reply to me might be perceived as someone trying to derail this thread. Let’s please keep it on topic. :)

My reply was on topic just as much as yours was. Your reply was being negative about the game's success. My reply was being positive about the games success and asking a legitimate question.

I have every right to state my opinion as everyone else. Sorry if you disagree. :/ I do agree your first couple lines were on topic, the rest of it was a complaint about me. (off topic)
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    When I saw the topic "Sims 4 is doing good" I thought they were donating to a cause or something.

Still it's good that they are doing well. I would think any fan of the franchise wouldn't want to hear that the company was doing poorly.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Lucy1213Lucy1213 Posts: 28 Member
    Listen I know all of you guys are complaining that they should make more packs each year it is doing so well.
    But just be greatful the the whole sims franchise itself is not being cancelled and ended.
    As when the sims 4 was launched that was a big worry.
    I’m personally glad the sims 4 is striving and doing well!!!!
  • umbralshadowsumbralshadows Posts: 212 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    I think it Sims 4 has attracted a lot of new players and interest because of the current playstyle of the game. I still consider it lackluster and this doesn't mean anything to me. However like another commentor mentioned, if it is really more successful than I imagine there still is hope for a Sims 5. On the other hand, if it is quite successful im afraid the next iteration will be similar. If it is, I'd consider myself done with the sims franchise.
    All of the iterations have been successful. The success of The Sims 2, for example, didn't stop the personality Matrix from being scrapped and replaced with the inferior trait system in The Sims 3. However, The Sims 3 also retained many good things from The Sims 2. And while The Sims 3 was also successful, that didn't stop the change away from the open world in The Sims 4. While I applauded that decision, as the open world was the chief cause of The Sims 3's numerous technical issues, The Sims 4 still retained the trait system which I did not approve of.

I don't think it is going to be a case of pure imitation, as evidenced by the fact that it has never been a case of pure imitation from one iteration to the next. When The Sims 5 comes, and it will, it will retain some features of various installments while doing a few things that are new. Maybe it will be more to your liking or maybe it won't, but the history of the series demonstrates that it will probably be different enough that people will have to reevaluate their positions and fight about it for the following years to come.

yeah i liked how 2 did personalitys but i think combo a both'd be best. say tha personality points thing'd give tha basis an we can add traits for flavoring. i really think thats tha best way ta get most unique sims. i hope they consider that for 5. i allso was happy ta see open world gone [wich cut down tha preformance problems]. sorry if offtopic.
    umbralsimoirsig.png
    lookin for lets players an reviewers for tha short/demo version a my game
    download here
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    The addition of some new content that I've actually wanted in this game is what reeled me back in, after sticking to Sims 3 for years, even after Sims 4 launched. Not to mention Sims 4 recently received some cool features Sims 3 didn't already have. Such as choosing their teeth and all those gender options, both of which I think are neat.

Other features that came back were made better than ever. Toddlers and vampires, for instance. The pools had a few more features this time too, such as sitting on the edges. (I still prefer the Sims 3 ghosts, however. They just look so much better, cooler, more interesting)

Toddlers were absolutely a must, I think that's what started the whole chain reaction of me really getting into Sims 4 this year?
    I'm a legacy player. If I were to start a proper legacy in this game, it would need toddlers, going from newborn to school child in the blink of an eye was just way too weird. While messing around with OC-based sims on a save with no aging is fun and all, legacies is what keeps me coming back to play, to progress. It's just so much more rewarding to play legacies, haha.

So anyway, honestly I'm not surprised if Sims 4 is doing much better by now. Truth is, it is indeed way better than it was at launch.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    edited November 2017
    So_Money wrote: »
    I wonder where the money is going? Hmmm...
    Scrooge-McDuck-Money-Bin-1000x562.jpg
    Well, with companies/situations like these, people usually speculate that the money is going into other games. Which may be true in part, though I'm sure they didn't conjure the money for bringing TS4 to consoles out of nowhere, or making a mobile version. I mean, it's pretty clear they're putting something back into this series. Just obviously not what some would like them to put back in, to make the things that they want.

And as galling as it may feel to imagine them taking the successes of the sims and putting it into other projects, from a strategic business standpoint, it makes perfect sense. They don't want all of their eggs to be in one basket; fund other projects because they can always use more titles that are as reliable as the sims, or at least close to it, and they won't find those gold mines unless they try some new stuff. If they put everything back into the sims and it flops for whatever market reason (for example, if the audience just becomes burned out on the premise of the sims) that's a big loss.

I mean, I love to assume greed and hate corporations as much as the next guy, but there is some reasonability and logic to it. It's not all mustache-twirling.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Cinebar wrote: »
    TheSimer wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I'm always struck by these sort of posts, if it's doing so, so, so much better than release, then where is Seasons? Where is ten new traits and aspirations? Ten new worlds, you know...TS3 was doing so well, too and it was killing it by this time.

ETA: Forgive me if I think this should all result in bigger and better, more EPs not smaller EPs and less stuff. You know, more money? great...means bigger budget, more stuff, more depth, more worlds, more building tools...right? Nope

I thought it was already well known that the lack of EPs is caused by the closure of the salt lake studio

Better, and more money should equal hire another team to pump out two EPs a year. But it never happens that way for TS4 no matter how much they brag it's doing great, compared to what? TS3? Because it never results in more teams working on more things and more content for players.

The Sims 3 had issues with DLC. Which is why EA were forced to update their terms and conditions to advise the Sims 3 only supports a couple of packs at a time.

With The Sims 3 Pets, EA changed the Sims 3 engine to try and combat a lot of the issues with people complaining the game was bogging down with every pack installed, it didn't work.

So I assume they threw the last 5 EP's in 12 months and left it alone. Considering we had Store updates until the release of the Sims 4, The Sims 3 era wasn't supposed to end in 2013.

They want The Sims 4 to keep going on until it "doesn't make sense" so my assumption is a lot of teams are there to make sure they can keep pumping DLC without the game bogging down.

The last thing they want is to be forced to include disclaimers for The Sims 4, telling people they can only use a few packs at once.

They clearly want this to last as long as possible.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited November 2017
    Triplis wrote: »
    So_Money wrote: »
    I wonder where the money is going? Hmmm...
    Scrooge-McDuck-Money-Bin-1000x562.jpg
    I mean, I love to assume greed and hate corporations as much as the next guy, but there is some reasonability and logic to it. It's not all mustache-twirling.

Ordinarily I would agree with you, but not where EA is concerned.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I think broadening the target market has helped a lot in that growth. I mean this year, Maxis has started making content beyond just the "partied centered Sims" and I think that has helped a lot. Simmers play in many different ways and if Gurus continue to recognize that then the franchise does have some hope for it after all.

If anyone is curious what a business metric is: https://www.klipfolio.com/resources/articles/what-are-business-metrics.

I really like this part, "The Sims is a very valuable brand for us, a very valuable IP. And it’s a genre in which we are essentially unchallenged on any platform for that matter. And so we want to make sure that we get it right with our community, and we’re seeing very strong uptick in the kind of metrics that we need. " It's nice to see the CEO state how important the community is to the Sims. I do think it was good timing to release a console version seeing that around the release of the upcoming EP, some of stated they will not be able to play the Sims 4 on their system anymore. Having a console version in addition to the mobile versions will provide additional options for gaming for Simmers. Console games are more stagnant in terms of specs as I've talked to some in the gaming market, so even when more packs are released on console, it will be easier for Simmers to play the games without the risk of lag or system crashing on them as much.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ChristianSimFanChristianSimFan Posts: 546 Member
    edited November 2017
    And as always, the forums are bursting with... negativity.

Yup, you know how it is...
    4's doin so well its gone a be tha longest lasting iteration weve seen an thats amazing. cant wait ta see what else's gone a come our way.

I think it has a couple years maybe more, it's def looking up from here. I don't wanna see my favorite franchise fall, SIMS FOREVER!
  • BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    As mentioned above, the game might be doing well because it's more versatile ; it works on numerous gaming platforms and caters to a wider audience as well. But trying to please everyone can backfire. EA spending more money on diversification could mean less money for in-game feature development. And the game could feel watered down if they try not to offend the tweens too much and blah blah blah. They have the money, but they're diluting it all in features I personally won't be using.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited November 2017
    This was only mentioned that Sims4 was doing so well, because EA was accused of killing single player games when shutting down the studio that was creating the Star Wars game. The Single player for that was not received well by their test audience. EA is just trying to kill the backlash from that by saying h ow well a single player game like Sims4 is doing.
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member

For 2 years I was greatly disappointed in the game and had stopped buying things or playing until features I needed for my enjoyment was added.

Even though I was disappointed and to an extent even a bit angry about what TS4 was compared to earlier versions, at no point was I taking pleasure in any perceived notion that the game wasn't financially doing well and at no point did I pretend that the game had zero redeeming qualities. I also didn't go out of my way seeking out every possible chance to spread my misery to everyone else.

The game is apparently doing well, I know that doesn't fit some peoples narrative but it is what it is.

wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    This was only mentioned that Sims4 was doing so well, because EA was accused of killing single player games when shutting down the studio that was creating the Star Wars game. The Single player for that was not received well by their test audience. EA is just trying to kill the backlash from that by saying h ow well a single player game like Sims4 is doing.

If they're telling their investors it's doing well, it's doing well. You can't lie to your investors.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Cinebar wrote: »
    TheSimer wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I'm always struck by these sort of posts, if it's doing so, so, so much better than release, then where is Seasons? Where is ten new traits and aspirations? Ten new worlds, you know...TS3 was doing so well, too and it was killing it by this time.

ETA: Forgive me if I think this should all result in bigger and better, more EPs not smaller EPs and less stuff. You know, more money? great...means bigger budget, more stuff, more depth, more worlds, more building tools...right? Nope

I thought it was already well known that the lack of EPs is caused by the closure of the salt lake studio

Better, and more money should equal hire another team to pump out two EPs a year. But it never happens that way for TS4 no matter how much they brag it's doing great, compared to what? TS3? Because it never results in more teams working on more things and more content for players.

The Sims 3 had issues with DLC. Which is why EA were forced to update their terms and conditions to advise the Sims 3 only supports a couple of packs at a time.

With The Sims 3 Pets, EA changed the Sims 3 engine to try and combat a lot of the issues with people complaining the game was bogging down with every pack installed, it didn't work.

So I assume they threw the last 5 EP's in 12 months and left it alone. Considering we had Store updates until the release of the Sims 4, The Sims 3 era wasn't supposed to end in 2013.

They want The Sims 4 to keep going on until it "doesn't make sense" so my assumption is a lot of teams are there to make sure they can keep pumping DLC without the game bogging down.

The last thing they want is to be forced to include disclaimers for The Sims 4, telling people they can only use a few packs at once.

They clearly want this to last as long as possible.

They have already told Sims4 simmers that with the cat and dog expansion it will require an update to an existing computer if they don't meet specs to play it without issues. There is an entire thread regarding that. It will continue to happen as long as they continue to pour out content just like with sims 3. Why this is happening I certainly don't know, game engine? poor planning? The only ones that know won't talk about it.
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    It's funny how they're mesmerized by the fact the one of the biggest franchises ever in gaming is doing well on sales hahaha They really have no clue what they have in hands.

Maybe that will make EA think twice before jeopardizing the game in pro of their one-hit-wonders.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
    @luthienrising

I read a separate article about it. That is how I found out why they stated Sim4 was doing so well. Basically, they were trying to clean up the impression of why they closed down that studio, as reports say it was due to the single player part of that game. So the take away was that EA was on a mission to kill single player games.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited November 2017
    @luthienrising

I read a separate article about it. That is how I found out why they stated Sim4 was doing so well. Basically, they were trying to clean up the impression of why they closed down that studio, as reports say it was due to the single player part of that game. So the take away was that EA was on a mission to kill single player games.

That sounds like an older report about PR dating back to a couple of years ago. This is a new statement to investors, which is not the group they need to deal with rumours like that with. Investor calls are corporate stuff, not all PR work. They're routine events explaining the company's current financial situation, the main drivers behind that, major organizational changes, and the like.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited November 2017
    Yay! I am interested in the Theme of TS5. I don't care if I'm eighty when it's released... I'll wait. :mask:
    @luthienrising

That sounds like an older report about PR dating back to a couple of years ago. This is a new statement to investors, which is not the group they need to deal with rumours like that with. Investor calls are corporate stuff, not all PR work. They're routine events explaining the company's current financial situation, the main drivers behind that, major organizational changes, and the like.

Nope, it was recent, as it was referring to another recent article.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited November 2017
    SimCity fiasco either didn't help which landed EA with awards for a couple years. Why I think it's a fun reference to that with the golden poo from pets in the upcoming EP. Maxis really needed to redeem themselves after that, so Sims 4 doing better is very good for their reputation. What I've been hoping for since the release of the game. I couldn't just sit back any longer, so I joined forums. I've seen the worst that can happen if people give up speaking up for a company and its improvements and it's really ugly. Thankfully that company is under new ownership now and is doing better, but is very behind in coding.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Fonxi121994Fonxi121994 Posts: 457 Member
    Of course it's doing good: 440€ in base game + all DLC. Any company would be happy to have a product based so heavily on 10€/20€/40€ DLCs, specially if they can sell them :p
    The changes came slowly at first. Most didn't realize, or didn't care, and accepted them. They chose a comfortable life.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Well, it's nice to hear some good news about the game from the business side. The return of Toddlers and the "Vampires" and "Parenthood" GP's probably really rekindled a lot of interest in the game, which is likely the reason for TS4 doing so well recently. Now, with pets finally being added and new building tools being patched in this month, they'll probably be seeing another nice boost in sales. (Personally, I'm more jazzed for the building tools than the next EP, since System Requirements Lab hasn't updated their site with its minimum specs yet. Until I can know for sure that all I need for this EP is a small RAM upgrade to run the game in 64 bit mode, I'm not getting my hopes up for it. The only thing about this EP that excites me right now is that it's a good sign that werewolves are finally right around the corner...)
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I thought Cats and Dogs is a Games Pack... so it's an EP? :)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top