Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Just Say No To MOO And Scale Cheats

Comments

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    edited November 2017
    I don't use MOO ever but I do use the scale up cheat for decorations. The scale up cheat is a bit tricky.

Sometimes when you scale an object, the object near it will get removed. When building, it doesn't happen but I realized sometimes when you download it from the gallery, it will sometimes remove the item next to it.

I think this has happened to be a couple of times. Like even when I bulldoze the house and then plop in the one that I just saved into My Library, I don't get any problems. But when I upload it to the Gallery, and download it from there, there will be problems.

So, sometimes you cannot always blame the creator. :D Sure, if there's excessive MOO, it will be good if the creator tests out the lot but I think the Gallery sometimes just messes up things even more. I also read that if you're placing a lot with possible MOO, it will be good if you turn on the MOO cheat in your own game first or it would cause some problems.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    I always try to play test my builds, but in the end im human and will forget some things.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    MOO is essential in my builds, specially for outdoors spaces. When used without abuse is a very important tool to make the lots looks nicer and use the space to its entirety. Something I always try to avoid is clipping, I hate it.
    Most the lots and rooms I upload have a little MOO here and there but they are also all playtested.
    As for the scaling up (and soon down!) I don't use it on gameplay objects, only for decor.

It's true that I don't usually download from others but I can understand your frustration as sometimes looking around the gallery I come upon rooms and lots that look impossible for sims to actually use.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • JoieWilderJoieWilder Posts: 2,513 Member
    I'm not exaggerating when I say that I can't even imagine trying to build without MOO. I just did a build tonight and one of the first things I did was turn that cheat on. I do always try to be careful to make sure everything is usable, though I never test every single usable object, usually just the essentials (beds, bathrooms, kitchens, etc). Many of the problems with MOO arise when you place a lot without enabling the cheat. It can cause things to disappear or jump out of place.
  • JagwithtudeJagwithtude Posts: 1,452 Member
    I use MOO a lot as well but I always turn it off when placing usable objects just so I know that the placing is ok.
    "If you could read my mind, I'm pretty sure you'd be traumatized for life"

Join us on Discord for help with MC Command Center @ Discord https://discord.gg/TKp3GqE
    The latest version of MCCC 3.9.6 go to https://www.patreon.com/posts/mc-command-3-9-6-15332977

Rrkznuy.jpg?4

• JoieWilderJoieWilder Posts: 2,513 Member
    I use MOO a lot as well but I always turn it off when placing usable objects just so I know that the placing is ok.

MOO is (usually) fine to use with usable objects, to an extent. The beauty of sims 4 is that, routing-wise, sims are a lot smarter than previous games. For instance, did you know that you can make a fully functional 2x2 bathroom using MOO? It just takes a lot of careful playing around with the alt key.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    edited November 2017
    I like to download beautiful houses occasionally, with or without moo, to an empty lot and have a good look around them to admire the workmanship and borrow ideas, rather like looking at houses on TV redevelopment programmes. I just wish the Gallery pictures were much larger.

I always use my own builds though as Sims seem to prefer simple houses for developing skills - even starting with just a tent and outside loo helps. (as in Sims 1).
  • aujinehaujineh Posts: 454 Member
    edited November 2017
    Friend me on origin @Chazzzy - I don' ever use cheats when building. I build nice convenient homes. (sweetonsims)
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    Let me offer my thoughts on why we are having more problems with the MOO cheat in TS4 than with previous versions of the Sims. Not that this was not a problem with the previous versions, but not so pronounced and as common as it is with this version. With EA/Maxis’ new direction of catering towards 13 year old girls, it only stands to reason that with the flood of young, new, inexperienced players now playing the game, we should expect to see a lot more lots uploaded with mistakes and unplayable areas simply because they don’t know any better! When all of us first started playing the Sims, we had to go through a learning curve to learn what works and what doesn’t in order to make a fabulous, playable lot. I would say that many of these unplayable lots come from these new players who haven’t realized that a lot should be thoroughly tested before uploading to the gallery. I seriously doubt that you will find few, if any, veteran builders’ lots that are not thoroughly tested and are not only great looking, but actually work perfectly in game.
    As a veteran builder, I do not discourage the use of building cheats. I whole heartedly encourage their use, as long as you know how to use them and use them wisely. The cheats were put in the game to be used, if they were not meant to be used, then they wouldn’t be there in the first place. So, OP, maybe you should be requesting new builders to learn how to properly use the cheats, not discourage their use altogether.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • ysa88ysa88 Posts: 260 Member
    MOO is such a valuable tool! It can really change a build. I think what you have to consider is not everyone builds for playability. Some build lots to inspire, be creative or offer backdrops/scenery for screenshot purposes. Myself, I always try to test my builds, consider routing and make sure that objects can be accessed. Sometimes you miss things though. I don't think it's anything to get annoyed about - the luxury is you have so much choice on the gallery and you can edit the lot to suit your needs.
    simblr

ea id: ysa_88
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    MOO and scaling cheats are a good thing when used wisely. I agree that if you use MOO, you should always play test your builds just to make sure they actually work...particularly if you're using the cheat on or near functional objects like toilets, stoves, doors, chairs, etc. Also, always look your build over to avoid clipping. I learned that all the way in TS2 when I used an easy little exploit for adding outdoor only objects to an indoor space to place a basketball hoop in the basement of one of my houses. I had to lower the basement floor a time or two so that the backboard wasn't clipping through the kitchen floor. (Ah, remember when we only had one wall height and no basement tool? Good times...)

So, yes, always test and check over your builds. Sometimes you might miss something regardless (I know I have), but if you check your stuff, it'll be more likely to be something minor (like forgetting a stray mirror) instead of two objects being so close together that they can not be used at all.

I only use MOO and scale cheats for objects that Sims don't directly interact with -- mostly when placing landscaping (putting plants or rocks as close as possible to trees, for example, or flowers/bushes a little closer together. And I do check for clipping. Scale cheats are also pretty much only used for landscaping as well -- sometimes I want to enlarge the rocks for decor.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I love MOO and scale cheats, that's why I evaluate popular homes that I download from gallery for clipping etc. But overall, I love the benefit from those cheats.

What are scale cheats?

Those are the cheats where you use the square bracket keys ([ or ]) to shrink or enlarge an item -- like if you want to make a tree larger or smaller to suit your build, or make one of the small toys bigger to use as decor for a playroom.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    ehaught58 wrote: »
    Let me offer my thoughts on why we are having more problems with the MOO cheat in TS4 than with previous versions of the Sims. Not that this was not a problem with the previous versions, but not so pronounced and as common as it is with this version. With EA/Maxis’ new direction of catering towards 13 year old girls, it only stands to reason that with the flood of young, new, inexperienced players now playing the game, we should expect to see a lot more lots uploaded with mistakes and unplayable areas simply because they don’t know any better! When all of us first started playing the Sims, we had to go through a learning curve to learn what works and what doesn’t in order to make a fabulous, playable lot. I would say that many of these unplayable lots come from these new players who haven’t realized that a lot should be thoroughly tested before uploading to the gallery. I seriously doubt that you will find few, if any, veteran builders’ lots that are not thoroughly tested and are not only great looking, but actually work perfectly in game.
    As a veteran builder, I do not discourage the use of building cheats. I whole heartedly encourage their use, as long as you know how to use them and use them wisely. The cheats were put in the game to be used, if they were not meant to be used, then they wouldn’t be there in the first place. So, OP, maybe you should be requesting new builders to learn how to properly use the cheats, not discourage their use altogether.

I've been following all these conversations about marketing, and the palpable disdain for 13 year old girls, and young players in general, is starting to come across as "get off my lawn." As someone in architecture and construction IRL, a 13 year old girl is far more likely to build a clear path from the front door to the toilet than an experienced adult construction worker with a clear set of plans. It's the adults who want to put all the clutter in the way, or worse, write 8 million ordinances that conflict with each other until you can't get anything done. I would hate for the kids reading this forum to think they shouldn't upload their builds because someone might think they're a fluffbunny who can't follow some small group's ideas of how a house should be built. I get that people are frustrated with the direction of the game and the lack of a lot of things in it, but we need to remember where the blame for that lies. Also, EA has placed enough limits on this iteration of the game as it is without players placing them on each other.

As for the original post, yeah, it is frustrating as all get-out to download a house only to find out you've got to gut 90% of it to make it playable. I had one where the sims couldn't walk inside, and I couldn't figure out why until it dawned on me that they might need a step even though the house looked like it was level with the ground. So I gut the place and make it livable, and it becomes so boring-- just like every other house in my game. I think I saw somewhere that they're adding downsizing objects either in the expansion or in the next patch, so the fun isn't going to stop. I think when you get one that's particularly bad you should block the user if it's that much of a problem. There are people who are in this just to build, and I don't mind having to fix a couple of mistakes here and there when so many of the things they make are so spectacular and are free for the click of a mouse button.

I’m sorry if you were offended with my post. I did not mean to upset anyone in any way. I was merely stating why I think there are so many unplayable lots in the gallery. It just makes sense to me. I was the same way when I first started building. We all have to learn from the beginning and beginners make mistakes!
    fkgck4xkargo.png
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    edited November 2017
    There are too many generalizations being thrown about in this thread in my opinion. Amongst the millions of uploaded houses there are bound to be those of players of all ages which are unplayable.

Some of us wanted to be architects but couldn't pass the Maths. :'(
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I always have MOO on. I build with it all the time, but I usually only slightly furnish my builds. Only a handful are furnished completely. I think it's because I hate downloading houses furnished and the decorating is just not my style and spend a good amount of time deleting all of it to redecorate, so I leave mine mostly unfurnished to allow the downloader to add their own style and creativity.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member

I've been following all these conversations about marketing, and the palpable disdain for 13 year old girls, and young players in general, is starting to come across as "get off my lawn." As someone in architecture and construction IRL, a 13 year old girl is far more likely to build a clear path from the front door to the toilet than an experienced adult construction worker with a clear set of plans. It's the adults who want to put all the clutter in the way, or worse, write 8 million ordinances that conflict with each other until you can't get anything done. I would hate for the kids reading this forum to think they shouldn't upload their builds because someone might think they're a fluffbunny who can't follow some small group's ideas of how a house should be built. I get that people are frustrated with the direction of the game and the lack of a lot of things in it, but we need to remember where the blame for that lies. Also, EA has placed enough limits on this iteration of the game as it is without players placing them on each other.

As for the original post, yeah, it is frustrating as all get-out to download a house only to find out you've got to gut 90% of it to make it playable. I had one where the sims couldn't walk inside, and I couldn't figure out why until it dawned on me that they might need a step even though the house looked like it was level with the ground. So I gut the place and make it livable, and it becomes so boring-- just like every other house in my game. I think I saw somewhere that they're adding downsizing objects either in the expansion or in the next patch, so the fun isn't going to stop. I think when you get one that's particularly bad you should block the user if it's that much of a problem. There are people who are in this just to build, and I don't mind having to fix a couple of mistakes here and there when so many of the things they make are so spectacular and are free for the click of a mouse button.

I’m sorry if you were offended with my post. I did not mean to upset anyone in any way. I was merely stating why I think there are so many unplayable lots in the gallery. It just makes sense to me. I was the same way when I first started building. We all have to learn from the beginning and beginners make mistakes!

Just wanted to add that the ease of build mode and the addition of the gallery are probably adding to the issue if it's about new builders. In TS3 I know you could share but despite playing the game I wouldn't have the first idea how to share anything I made in that game, I wouldn't even know how to save a building to use later in another save, whereas TS4 is just a click of a button. I would imagine TS4 has attracted more players to build and share regardless of their age or whether they are new to the series. I've played since TS1 but TS4 is the first time I've shared anything with the community.
  • Emma_Smith101Emma_Smith101 Posts: 453 Member
    I always build with moo but while placing think if it would be playable and often is. It's so important for me because for decor and stuff it completely makes the build. I spend hours making individual builds and last thing I want to do is playtest. I hate playtesting builds which is why only sometimes do I do it. It takes a lot more time than you realise and when you haven't got much time because you spent ages making it look good and you need to get on with tumblr posts on it it's just one huge chore. Somethings are to just look nice. It upsets me to know some people don't bother downloading what I spent ages on just because when they play in it they are not willing to move a few things about for it to be completely functionable. Why can people be so ungrateful because they get to use other peoples builds for nothing, they can do what they like with it INCLUDING play in it and move objects as required. If you're not happy build something of your own how you like, don't complain about other people doing things the way they want to. Maybe you're not good at building, well appreciate all the times it has taken everyone else to build up their skill of building then maybe you will respect the fact they do it how they like. This is no personal go at you it's just the other point of view has been completely overlooked, and it's not fair. I try to make it as playable as I can and playtest half my builds now so go and download them if you want. ID emma_smith101
    I share my builds and Sims' stories sometimes at: https://simplicityplaysss.tumblr.com/
    samlyt22 wrote: »

Just wanted to add that the ease of build mode and the addition of the gallery are probably adding to the issue if it's about new builders. In TS3 I know you could share but despite playing the game I wouldn't have the first idea how to share anything I made in that game, I wouldn't even know how to save a building to use later in another save, whereas TS4 is just a click of a button. I would imagine TS4 has attracted more players to build and share regardless of their age or whether they are new to the series. I've played since TS1 but TS4 is the first time I've shared anything with the community.

Good point! By making building easier, the gallery is flooded with newbie builds who, some of them, are still learning from their mistakes, and the rest of us have to deal with it.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @ehaught58 wrote: »

We also have the issues where people can also place things up and down, which also causes even further routing issues.

I downloaded a house where I could not for the life of me figure out why nothing worked, and it was because this person had placed these pot plants to look like hanging baskets (they put low hanging lights and replaced moved plants up to the top, but I couldn't see them until I took a photo at low angle. I had no idea how it even worked.

But yeah, cheats are cheats. And because of how more advanced MOO is, a lot of these 13 years old don't care about testing, and we need to more than ever.
  • RamblineRoseRamblineRose Posts: 814 Member
    I use moo sparingly and mainly for placement of flowers and shurbs. I like to download houses that are not furnished then decorate my way
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I love MOO and scale cheats, that's why I evaluate popular homes that I download from gallery for clipping etc. But overall, I love the benefit from those cheats.

What are scale cheats?

Those are the cheats where you use the square bracket keys ([ or ]) to shrink or enlarge an item -- like if you want to make a tree larger or smaller to suit your build, or make one of the small toys bigger to use as decor for a playroom.

Oh, I use them a lot, never knew their name. They are so useful to fill in blank spots. :)
  • gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member

Good point! By making building easier, the gallery is flooded with newbie builds who, some of them, are still learning from their mistakes, and the rest of us have to deal with it.

That's how people learn. From mistakes. So newbie builders shouldn't upload because it annoys everyone else? Everyone was a newbie at one point. I've seen builds that could use improvements but I just skip them over. It really is not that difficult.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited November 2017
    What I find interesting is that even a styled room made by Maxis has routing issues of objects that used MOO. Believe me I test styled rooms too. So to expect perfection from Simmers while in the same vein same thing is happening in game too by people who made the game, yeah doesn't make sense to me let alone the insults said against Simmers.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller

That's how people learn. From mistakes. So newbie builders shouldn't upload because it annoys everyone else? Everyone was a newbie at one point. I've seen builds that could use improvements but I just skip them over. It really is not that difficult.

I totally agree with you. I did not mean that newbies should not upload, I meant that we should expect to see more unplayable lots uploaded because EA made building easier, and newbies DO make mistakes in the learning process. I know, I used to be one 17 years ago!
    Personally, I do not download from the gallery (except to retrieve my own lots) so it does not affect me either way.
    fkgck4xkargo.png