Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Another year... another half baked EP

Comments

• Fonxi121994Fonxi121994 Posts: 457 Member
    Simulator4 wrote: »
    Pary wrote: »
    I don't play TS4, but I look at what is upcoming when something new is released.

I have to ask... is it just me, or does anyone else think that two pets just touching noses to reproduce is outright dumb and childish? I know that poor pets are kennel-less this time around, but really... I was shocked to read that.

I thought TS3 had started on the babyish train with some of its progress, but TS4 is like a runaway train on that track.

Source on this?

Just a week or two ago I joked that without doghouses maybe there's no woohoo animation period. If all they do is touch noses then tbh I'd say I wasn't far off.

And what were the mating animations in previous versions?

Something like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gdqaYEP6t0

Same for The Sims 2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95vyAkOj7Us
    The changes came slowly at first. Most didn't realize, or didn't care, and accepted them. They chose a comfortable life.
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    edited October 2017
    I don't play TS4, but I look at what is upcoming when something new is released.

I have to ask... is it just me, or does anyone else think that two pets just touching noses to reproduce is outright dumb and childish? I know that poor pets are kennel-less this time around, but really... I was shocked to read that.

I thought TS3 had started on the babyish train with some of its progress, but TS4 is like a runaway train on that track.

Is that how it works? Wow see half baked, they can’t even wohoo lol
    21mbz47.jpg
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member

Source on this?

Just a week or two ago I joked that without doghouses maybe there's no woohoo animation period. If all they do is touch noses then tbh I'd say I wasn't far off.

can't say I feel bad about that I don't think its a big loss
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member

Source on this?

Something like this:

Same for The Sims 2:

I think think the sim cheering for the pet is kind of creepy
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    The animals “mating” is embarrassing. Granted as a real life breeder I’m not saying I expect them to show it in graphic detail- that would be weird. But this is why we need the dog house because in the past animals have went in and did their thing and it worked. I cringed when I saw the “mating” in Rory’s stream and while she was oohing and aahing and saying how cute it was, I was wondering why the heck I didn’t feel that way and why I was embarrassed for the game. But we are all different.

But then this is the game that before woohoo sims cheer and high five so I don’t know why I’m surprised. Again a first for the series and not a “first” it should be proud of.
  • agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    edited October 2017
    I took a look at the polish article (love how being a polish lit&language major can be useful in such random situations :D ) it says that pets can't die in a fire and you'll only see their fur get a little dirty from it. Oh well. So if I have a fire in a household with a toddler and a pet, the parents will die and the dog will have to raise the kid? :p

It also says that one woohoo will get a pet pregnant with just 1 pup/kitty.. ? Though it was confirmed multiples were possible? Or maybe we'll just have to direct the pets to woohoo 2 or 3 times depending on how many puppies and kitties we want?

Overall, this article is full of even more little disappointments. We can't train baby pets to go up and down the stairs which in real life is one of the more fun and rewarding experiences... oh well. A wasted opportunity for a nice gameplay aspect. And looks like we're not getting police in a patch anytime soon like people speculated, because when the pet runs away you have to post about it on the internet in order for them to be found.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Source on this?

Something like this:

Same for The Sims 2:

LOL, unlike Sims cheering and giving each other a high five when they are about to woohoo because you know right at that romantic moment we all want to cheer and slap palms when we mate with a partner. I think that is creepy. If someone did that during the romantic moment I would think he/she was mentally five years old, and I would back out. lol I can see cheering for your animal because you want a puppy litter, or kittens.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »

Source on this?

Something like this:

Same for The Sims 2:

LOL, unlike Sims cheering and giving each other a high five when they are about to woohoo because you know right at that romantic moment we all want to cheer and slap palms when we mate with a partner. I think that is creepy. If someone did that during the romantic moment I would think he/she was mentally five years old, and I would back out. lol I can see cheering for your animal because you want a puppy litter, or kittens.

I have to say I was very happy in real life when my Male dog was successful the last time he was used for stud as The female just wanted to play so by time the deed was done I felt like cheering!

Would rather see sims cheering at their pets mating then cheering at themselves about to woohoo. If that animation had to exist it should be for teens only.
  • ChristianSimFanChristianSimFan Posts: 546 Member
    I see no issues with the pets mating by touching noses if this is true, in the Sims1 base game the Sims would have babies by kissing.
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    I see no issues with the pets mating by touching noses if this is true, in the Sims1 base game the Sims would have babies by kissing.

Yup TS4 just downgraded from ts3 and TS2. Isn’t that quite an accomplishment for 2017!
    21mbz47.jpg
  • ChristianSimFanChristianSimFan Posts: 546 Member
    Maybe to you they downgraded, to me I could careless how they breed as long as they can breed. Not everyone is against TS4 or the EP's etc. I appreciate TS4 for what it is, I rather enjoy playing it. If someone does not enjoy playing TS4, my advice to them would be; don't play it, try playing TS2 or TS3, and if they don't really like those either well they should perhaps play some other game.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I would actually appreciate If somebody cheer over me getting laid with a girl I picked up last night. At least I'm glad that sims are more open to talk about sexual intercourse than irl people.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
    I would actually appreciate If somebody cheer over me getting laid with a girl I picked up last night. At least I'm glad that sims are more open to talk about sexual intercourse than irl people.

I wouldn't say sims 4 sims are open about it, just more juvenile. Cinebar is correct in their post above.
  • NikNakNikNak Posts: 302 Member
    edited November 2017
    I wouldn't say sims 4 sims are open about it, just more juvenile. Cinebar is correct in their post above.

Yep. Makes it very clear that they were aiming for an immature demographic.
  • MondayMonday Posts: 385 Member
    Okay, so, I know there's a whole thread dedicated to this elsewhere, but.

I don't understand the whole 'no doghouses' thing. The EP has pet-sized doors. One could easily build their own doghouse, yes?

I know, it doesn't have the woohoo/sleep etc options if you build your own, but, build your own doghouse, or even a dog palace, and slap a bed in there.

But, then again, I want the world more than the pets, I don't think Brindleton Bay is too small, and I'm very happy that the pets are not controllable.

I feel like it's reasonable to voice some concerns that seem glaring, but after a certain point you have to draw the line and just wait until the EP comes out. You can speculate and let developers know what you want, but you cannot review a product without playing it firsthand or at the very least, knowing all of the details...details that will not be known until it is released and people play it in full.

When I first saw the Parenthood trailer, I wasn't impressed. Having watched all the official videos (note Cats and Dogs has one more official livestream to go) and then playing Parenthood, I love it.

So. I don't know. There's a fine line between expressing concerns and bashing something before experiencing it. Etc etc.
    a63ftuN.png
    Monday wrote: »

I don't understand the whole 'no doghouses' thing. The EP has pet-sized doors. One could easily build their own doghouse, yes?

I know, it doesn't have the woohoo/sleep etc options if you build your own, but, build your own doghouse, or even a dog palace, and slap a bed in there.

But, then again, I want the world more than the pets, I don't think Brindleton Bay is too small, and I'm very happy that the pets are not controllable.

I feel like it's reasonable to voice some concerns that seem glaring, but after a certain point you have to draw the line and just wait until the EP comes out. You can speculate and let developers know what you want, but you cannot review a product without playing it firsthand or at the very least, knowing all of the details...details that will not be known until it is released and people play it in full.

When I first saw the Parenthood trailer, I wasn't impressed. Having watched all the official videos (note Cats and Dogs has one more official livestream to go) and then playing Parenthood, I love it.

So. I don't know. There's a fine line between expressing concerns and bashing something before experiencing it. Etc etc.

The problem with building your own dog house is you can't place roofs on half walls. If you use regular walls the dog house would be gigantic and be more akin to a dog shed. Not everyone wants giant dog houses as it looks a little erm unusual.

The other problem is if the house has a foundation, the dog house will also have a foundation and that looks a bit silly for a dog house.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

The problem with building your own dog house is you can't place roofs on half walls. If you use regular walls the dog house would be gigantic and be more akin to a dog shed. Not everyone wants giant dog houses as it looks a little erm unusual.

The other problem is if the house has a foundation, the dog house will also have a foundation and that looks a bit silly for a dog house.
    It would be great if they’d allow roofs on half walls in a patch then. Maybe something for the Ideas corner? (or maybe they thought of it already)
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

It would be great if they’d allow roofs on half walls in a patch then. Maybe something for the Ideas corner? (or maybe they thought of it already)

Maybe they will implement it. Does seem bizarre to go from having nine dog beds in the sims 2 to I believe almost as many in the sims 3 to then go to a grand total of two flat rug things in the sims 4. I would love to know the Gurus logic.
  • agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member

You're right, but I think the problem's not actually the missing dog house and other features to be honest. People complain, I complain too, but this always happens and once the EP comes out a lot of people actually admits to changing their mind a little bit. I remember all the outrage around CL's launch and then a month later or so people posting that hey, it's bare bones and still disappointing but actually fun for what it is.

The problem is that it's happened too many times with this game already. I think people at this point just look for an outlet to vent their overall frustrations, and the new EP is just an excuse for it. Too many times they got us excited with those awesome, staged trailers and aesthetics only to then go on and slowly reveal that it's not actually that great and the strongest point is still unfortunately the aesthetics when it shouldn't be like that. People are not used to having their bubble burst so quickly after an EP is announced and in TS4's case it's constantly happening. Most people's just like "dang how many more times? can we just have a nice thing for once?". Took us long enough to get over the fact TS4 doesn't offer the best of TS3 but improved so now small things like the lack of a simple dog house feel like much fore of a hit to the face than they should. I think it's pretty normal for people to expect that in a game that's already so bare and simplistic we'll at least have what's typical and universally approved but it's still not the case after 3 years.

Overall, I'm sure people will find Cats&Dogs fun enough. I know I will, because I actually LOVE the idea of uncontrollable pets and the new world. It's just now is the venting time because well, people aren't exactly over what direction this franchise is going and the new EP rather than a problem in itself, is just another sad reminder of that. I for one understand that completely just like I understand people who love this game and don't feel it needs such harsh criticism. I wish the understanding could be mutual.

And to get on topic, I've seen people have found a way to put roofs on half walls already but it looks a little bit strange and stands out in the back yard a lot so I don't see many people using this workaround. The dog "bed" is very big so in order to fit in inside the dog house you'd have to build a huge one and everyone's already tired of big objects :D
  • JagwithtudeJagwithtude Posts: 1,452 Member

Source on this?

Something like this:

Same for The Sims 2:

And I thought it was funny :D
    "If you could read my mind, I'm pretty sure you'd be traumatized for life"

Join us on Discord for help with MC Command Center @ Discord https://discord.gg/TKp3GqE
    The latest version of MCCC 3.9.6 go to https://www.patreon.com/posts/mc-command-3-9-6-15332977

Rrkznuy.jpg?4

• IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member

My hope is that both issues are addressed in the patch.
  • MondayMonday Posts: 385 Member

Thank you, this makes sense. It's possible to wonder, since they're adding new roofs anyway, if they'll fix the roofs on half walls or the pretty obnoxious 'all foundations on the lot need to be the same' issue in the pre-patch. (Oh gosh do I hate the foundation thing.) At the same time, not something to hold out hope for, as is the case with most speculation.

@agustd Yeah, I get all that, and I can understand people wanting to vent or still being disappointed with the direction the game is going. Particularly if it's something you've been dedicated to for so long. Plus, I'm sure most people will still end up being at least generally happy with what they get, like you said. A part of it, for me, is that in general the developers actively want to make a new and awesome game. The developers being the ones who actually make it, who are throwing around ideas, etc. These are the people who got into game design to make games because they love them. And this is also part of a greater issue with EA, but EA has a history of canning developers because of the poor decisions that EA forced upon them, while ignoring the fact that the real issues were all EA's fault. So often, when the work of the developers themselves is getting criticized before release, I often think that the individual people working at Maxis are honestly trying to make a good game. Do their failures deserve criticism and feedback? Absolutely, but that has to be soul-crushing to have your work torn apart before you even release. It's also probably a very tough balancing act between providing brand new gameplay experiences and giving fans what they loved most from the previous games.

In that regard, however, I also don't agree with the idea of staged trailers, nor the idea of a million expansions/packs for years so that your game costs hundreds of dollars. That's just an awful practice that's everywhere in games these days.

Also, I'm coming at Sims 4 from a very different perspective. I started with Sims 4 about a year ago and then went back and acquired Sims 3. I'm happy to see Maxis do things differently, and I'm not pining after anything in specific (except body hair) from the previous games. I don't have the perspective of a dedicated fan watching the series they love go in a direction they don't like. (I'm too busy fretting about that possibility with the next Dragon Age game.) I actively like what Maxis is doing with Sims 4 minus some things here and there.

Anyway! Like I said. Dog Palaces will be the new hot thing.
    a63ftuN.png
  • Steve StormSteve Storm Posts: 106 Member
    Regarding doghouses, or the lack of- couldn't the Devs had just done something similar to how tents currently work for Sims? Just a thought.
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Dang OP I remember when Pets were announced and how excited you were.

IFFFF I were to buy this, I would not be spending a lot of time in CAP/CAS. I don’t even spend that much time making my Sims now. I like to put some clothes on them, pick a hairstyles and GET TO THE GAME!

I don’t like the businesses or the restaurant owning because they don’t function properly and make you money without you being on the lot. It’s “possible” with restaurants but I have had a terrible experience where I open my restaurant and hardly make any money, my stars deplete randomly, I’ll change households then change back and I’ve had employees quit on me. It’s a mess! So this Vet career will be another element I probably test and try out for the first day or so and then never touch it again because I like my Sims to be at home.

Same with the active careers that came in Get To Work and City Living. The interest just dies down after a while and so I’m back just playing my regular Sims at home.

The real question for me will be how much at-home gameplay will this pack add. I’m talking single Sims and families with a dog. I just don’t want it to seem like I have another butler-type noncontrolled element who just wanders through my house with no rhyme or reason. I need interactions and cool looking objects that don’t take up a ton of space.

Also, they say this game will be more draining on computer power and I’ve been having a major problem with lag as of lately so idk if it’s even a good idea at this point to get the pack because it may exacerbate my current problems.

I just... I’m torn.

Yeah :/ . I’m getting sick and tired of developers adding over the top stuff and replacing normal stuff. I don’t care for a cat riding that whatever it’s called, I want normal simple stuff for pets. Beds, houses, cute interactions with owners. I don’t know why they keep giving us stuff nobody asked for. It’s a life simulation game... and it’s not even realistic.

Unfortunately, it's not a life sim game anymore... EA says that the sims franchise is now a "time management" game.