Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

In the next patch, culling will be a thing of the past! (If you so desire)

Comments

• EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    imhappy wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    I just posted this in a new message. didn't realize there was another thread, my bad. but i had a few questions.

I'm assuming if we put 200 sims max, then if someone opens a restaurant, they can use the already existing sims.
    No random looking sims walking around.
    Will babies and ghosts count?
    Does this mean the raccoon and love guru, etc, will be sims that I already have?
    Can I edit the sims in CAS and not have to worry about them being fired from restaurant?
    Sometime restaurants use existing sims, sometimes they generate new ones or use homeless sims. Yes NPC, babies, and ghosts are apart of that count. Pets are apart of that count too, so the more packs you have the more risk you'll have Sims culled in the game.

We should figure out how many NPCs there are. I think Mimsy and Bernard, Raccoon costume guy, Love Guru, Tragic Clown and Living Statue. So we should designate 6 slots to NPCs?

Racoons (at least three exist at any given time) and Love Gurus are definitely in the Unplayed households section, same for Tragic clown (after clown is spawned for the first time).
    Hidden NPC to be added to the number of sims you can count manually would include Grim Reaper, at least one alien impregnator (with GTW EP), Mimsy, Bernard, at least one Jasmine Holiday (I had eight for months and somehow aquired two more recently).
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    Awesome! I love big families & a busy, bustling world.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    edited October 2017
    And butlers. If we have 200 sims/pets, and order a butler, that means, one of our sims or pets would be culled. And what about pizza guys, maids, and mail carriers? Would they cull our sims to make room for them, or would preexisting sims fill the jobs.

I downloaded a road to fame mod. It came with a bunch of "Fans" and "paparazzi" - so I guess if I want to keep that mod, I have to make sure there are slots for those townies. Unless, they use existing townies (but i don't think it does).
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    So can I now rig it so the game will not spawn townies?

I'm hoping something gets fixed to eradicate the number of Japanese townies. I get anymore Hasegawas, I'll scream!
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »

I'm hoping something gets fixed to eradicate the number of Japanese townies. I get anymore Hasegawas, I'll scream!

The game will still spawn townies. The change is in whether the game will cull the townies, and at what point.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

So if I fill the game with 200 sims/pets, I won't have random pets roaming around inside my bars and lounges?
    Well owned pets will roam around probably just like Sims do. :) Game could cull played Sims too. I'll be using unlimited option myself as I have a computer that can handle it.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller

The game will still spawn townies. The change is in whether the game will cull the townies, and at what point.

I was hoping I could make exactly 200 sims, and there wouldn't be any room for townies.
    edited October 2017

I was hoping I could make exactly 200 sims, and there wouldn't be any room for townies.

What would happen is that the game would make what townies it "needs" for things, then when the weeknight for culling comes around, it would cull back to as close as 200 as it can get by culling only unhoused, unplayed, unmarked-for-not-culling townies. So, basically the same as it does now with the current default limit.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member

This is what I was hoping for. I hate random townies and wish I could micromanage here and had more control over what sims are in my world. Either way, this is still really good news.

What would happen is that the game would make what townies it "needs" for things, then when the weeknight for culling comes around, it would cull back to as close as 200 as it can get by culling only unhoused, unplayed, unmarked-for-not-culling townies. So, basically the same as it does now with the current default limit.

Oh, maybe I'll just keep MC Command Center. I have homeless on "1" to try and minimize the random sims.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited October 2017
    This is good, and I hope they introduce a lot more tweak-able settings so that players don't have to immediately jump to the modding community for simple gameplay customization.
  • herdarkpassengerherdarkpassenger Posts: 105 Member
    Is this also into relation to relationship culling, or is that still an issue? :/
    Is this also into relation to relationship culling, or is that still an issue? :/

Relationship culling isn't shown as being controlled by this. I doubt it is. But it's also been way toned down from what it started as. See the link in my signature for details.
  • estella_deeestella_dee Posts: 263 Member
    edited October 2017

@luthienrising I have not experienced culling so far (I mostly delete unplayed sims I don't want to see in my game). Anyways, I do have a question for you, if you play all the sims in your Unplayed tab, and empty that tab, and you reached your limit, does the game still create townies? Or will it just use the sims in your Played tab?

@luthienrising I have not experienced culling so far (I mostly delete unplayed sims I don't want to see in my game). Anyways, I do have a question for you, if you play all the sims in your Unplayed tab, and empty that tab, and you reached your limit, does the game still create townies? Or will it just use the sims in your Played tab?

The game creates townies because it needs Sims for various roles. In a low-population save, that might include "people you can meet because you probably want some peers in this world". In a higher-population save it includes Sims to fill townie-only roles (landlord, mail carrier, gardener, etc.), roles you don't have available Sims for (say, you add have a festival happening - the game will pick only unplayed Sims for the booths etc., and will sometimes use some of your own housed, unemployed ones but will also make new ones), even walkbys. There's no control over this; even the mods to reduce townie generation can't stop this.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    I wonder if setting the limit to 50 sims/pets would help with some of the lagging issues or loading screen times.

Also, since the Cats and Dogs EP is going to increase the minimum computer specs requirement, I wonder if a cap of 50 sims/pets would allow people with less powerful computers to be able to play it.

Perhaps but I don't have much culling happening and my game doesn't generate new townies since I play with aging off and no one dies, so my game already kinda has it's own small 'cap'. I still have lags tho. But it will be an interesting experiment to try. :)
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
    My guess is one of the bugs they're gonna fix is the bad outfits on townies. :D
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • poeticnebulapoeticnebula Posts: 3,912 Member
    DeKay wrote: »

I know I'm the only one (besides my son) who will be a little sad to see the crazy outfits go. My son and I compete to see who has the craziest sims in our neighborhoods. I joke that my vampire has acquired the taste for nuts because of them. I have found it a fun sort of side game. LOL
    Origin ID: ForgottenAmber
    Twitch: ForgottenAmber
    Discord: ForgottenAmber

31710852153_4c3c66dea7.jpg

#BobSquad
    #BobSquadForever

Friend of Liam
  • gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    That's fantastic news! I've been waiting for such a feature for a while now! The laptop I own is old and there is a slight lag in the game, especially when I play it for a few hours straight (blame the hurricane of CC I've got, 🐸🐸🐸🐸). And with the upcoming release of C&D, I think the lag is going to be worse... So, the limit of 100 Sims/pets seems pretty convenient to me, since I almost never play with big families anyway. In the save I'm currently playing, which will be the one I'll use when the C&D EP is released, I've got only 3 played households.

And it's so awesome that we can exclude our favorite households from the culling system. Thank you so much, Sims Team!
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited October 2017
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    So does the 50 limit include Played Sims as well or is that only the number for Unplayed Sims?

Housed and played sims are already exempt from culling so it just effects randomly spawned townies, and ghosts/strays (due to them being homeless) I believe.
    DeKay wrote: »

I know I'm the only one (besides my son) who will be a little sad to see the crazy outfits go. My son and I compete to see who has the craziest sims in our neighborhoods. I joke that my vampire has acquired the taste for nuts because of them. I have found it a fun sort of side game. LOL

You're not the only one. I even made my sim dress crazily during a festival just to beat the townies. :D
    FwDXXd5.gif
    edited October 2017
    And here are some other info that I found out that could be included in the patch or in the future.

We can scale down objects now from their default size. There's new roof types.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3bWtuvpdFk

Here it shows a bit of the sizing down of objects. And also a couple of new roof tool features which lets you be able to adjust the length of the roof sideways (?) and also make a subtle S curve.

3:20 onwards of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVVtTsikr10
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    Great that they are finally addressing this issue but this doesn't solve the problem of random townies constantly being generated, which is just as annoying as culling in my opinion. I seriously hate it that I can't fully control the population of each world, and for the life of me I can't understand why in previous games they did the job filling thing fine without having the need to constantly generate permanent random sims. Just use the ones already created, or simply create one to fill that job at that time and then make them disappear, or at least put them on a "pool" that is not connected to the sims who live in that world, if that makes sense.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Great that they are finally addressing this issue but this doesn't solve the problem of random townies constantly being generated, which is just as annoying as culling in my opinion. I seriously hate it that I can't fully control the population of each world, and for the life of me I can't understand why in previous games they did the job filling thing fine without having the need to constantly generate permanent random sims. Just use the ones already created, or simply create one to fill that job at that time and then make them disappear, or at least put them on a "pool" that is not connected to the sims who live in that world, if that makes sense.

That's already the behavior in-game if you have a bigger played population than the culling cap. Hopefully it will be possible with the new culling too, so you could choose 50 Sims for example, tag all your played Sims as important, and the game will delete all the townies very frequently.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    I don't understand at all the pictures of the supposed game fixes, but being able to save our households from culling sounds exciting.