Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim Stats. Do you ever look at them?

The other day I was playing a painter sim and wondering about things like how many masterpieces were painted. I went to look at the sim's stats because I forgot that kind of stat was from SIMS 3! I couldn't find out anything like that, but I did find that my sim had slept 108 times, taken 61 showers and had been bored 3 times. Nothing silly like how many paintings he's painted, how much money earned from painting, etc. His notebook tells me the 7 kinds of bait he used to catch sturgeon, but not how many were caught.

How many meals eaten? I can tell you. How many best sellers written? Not important.

Comments

• Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I always forget that we have those. They’re so unimportant though, so I guess it doesn’t matter. TS3’s stats got incredibly detailed, so the ones in this game seem trivial in comparison.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,865 Member
    I think the notebook keeps track of some stats. I only have fishing so not sure if that's all, @rosemow might know more.

[img][/img]Rxv6SZm.png
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    The notebook also tracks plants that can be spliced to produce new plants, science serums and experiments, and the clues for your detective. I wish they'd also keep track of things like bestsellers (or even books) written, masterpieces painted, and so on. If you have Vampires, in the stats section for your Sim, they have some things that they follow for vampires, but I don't remember what they are.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Yea I wanted to check which type of novel my Sim has written the most / best seller but alas that information isn’t available to me like in TS3.
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    edited October 2017
    I think the notebook keeps track of some stats. I only have fishing so not sure if that's all, @rosemow might know more.

Hello
    This is what was written about the notebook when it was brought into the game through a game patch .
    We have added a Notebook, found in the phone menu, under a tiny button at the top of the menu (we tried to make the button even smaller, but some folks wanted you to find this new feature).
    Now as your Sim is gardening or fishing and they make discoveries (such as splicing recipes, or what bait caught what fish) these discoveries will be catalogued in your Notebook.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I wish the stats were more detailed like the sims 3.
    I mean I don't really care that my sim has woohoo'd 25 times, been embarrassed 48 times and been happy 290 times. It's not like the sims have any memories of it.
  • Options
    ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    nope! I never cared about the stats in ts3 or ts4.
  • Options
    DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    I miss Sims 3 stats and skill journal. Sims 4 stats are just silly and unhelpful. The notebook is semi helpful, but I'd like to know how many items crafted (paintings, novels, woodworking, etc), how much was made total, highest value item. I miss all the info.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Nope.

But I'm not big into stats in general. I like TS4 in part for the fact that it's not obsessed with achievements and checklists.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Sometimes I’ll check them just for the fun of it, but I don’t do it like I used to. It seems that since my save began to grow and I started to rotate between different households, stats stopped mattering.
    I remember switching back to my main household after playing a couple of others for awhile and most of the Sims’ stats from that home had basically been reset somehow. That’s when I stopped checking them as often, and now I just do it when I get bored and whatnot.

If they had more useful information, I’d probably be a little more interested in them as well. Like how many books my author-Sim has written or how many songs my many musicians have created, etc..
  • Options
    Triplis wrote: »
    Nope.

But I'm not big into stats in general. I like TS4 in part for the fact that it's not obsessed with achievements and checklists.

Never taken a sim on a date? Held a social event or played the get to work careers? All check lists. If you try and achieve the aspirations it's another check list.
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    Occasionally, just because I like seeing that kind of "progression".
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Never taken a sim on a date? Held a social event or played the get to work careers? All check lists. If you try and achieve the aspirations it's another check list.

Those are things you can do, but are not required. I see checklists as required actions. If you really want the achievements, you pay attention to the checklist box. Personally, I do what I want and not necessarily what the checklists demand.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I wish we could type stuff in the notebook about our Sims. I like to keep track of important things going on in my Sim's lives especially when I take a long breaks from the game. Currently I try to keep track in a real notebook..lol.
  • Options
    AnimaagAnimaag Posts: 319 Member
    I sometimes check them out, but I feel they are kind of pointless. I mean how could the statistic of "Go Here's Obeyed" be useful to me in any way?
  • Options

Those are things you can do, but are not required. I see checklists as required actions. If you really want the achievements, you pay attention to the checklist box. Personally, I do what I want and not necessarily what the checklists demand.

I agree you can do as you please but the fact of the matter is if you want to achieve say any of the aspirations every player follows a check list. The same check list. Ditto if you want to progress in the active careers and earn a wage.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited October 2017
    Yeah, the sim stats aren't super important...especially since they keep track of trivial things like meals eaten and times they've been happy (we all know that stat, for every sim in this game, is 38,243,975), but not the interesting stuff like masterpieces painted or books written.I barely even look at them anymore. :/
    Post edited by SimsLovinLycan on
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member

I agree you can do as you please but the fact of the matter is if you want to achieve say any of the aspirations every player follows a check list. The same check list. Ditto if you want to progress in the active careers and earn a wage.

Interesting enough, I can somehow get aspirations completed and promotions without paying any attention to the checklists. I guess it may be my playstyle.
  • Options
    PrincessMeow3349PrincessMeow3349 Posts: 86 Member
    @rosemow - how do I find the current list of badges and how to earn them and also what gets you points to become a full member? Thanks!
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    @rosemow - how do I find the current list of badges and how to earn them and also what gets you points to become a full member? Thanks!

Hello @PrincessMeow3349 :)
    You need to have 50 points and 30 posts before you can become a full member. You receive a point each time another simmer presses like or awesome or insightful on a post that you have posted.
    This post explains about the badges
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16043647/#Comment_16043647
  • Options
    Nope.

Note the word "obsessed." TS4 has checklists and achievements, but it is not obsessed with them. I'm guessing you've never played one of those games that is truly obsessed with checklist gameplay.
  • Options
    Nope.

Note the word "obsessed." TS4 has checklists and achievements, but it is not obsessed with them. I'm guessing you've never played one of those games that is truly obsessed with checklist gameplay.

Probably not because I don't like linear game play with "do this, do that, do this again" in a set time frame. Hence why I'm not a fan of the active careers. Its one of the things I like about the new vet clinic is there are no checklists!
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Nope. Unimportant.
  • Options
    Nope.

Probably not because I don't like linear game play with "do this, do that, do this again" in a set time frame. Hence why I'm not a fan of the active careers. Its one of the things I like about the new vet clinic is there are no checklists!
    I had a stint of years of gameplay in MMORPGs. Those are some of the worst in terms of "checklist" gameplay. Most of their gameplay, in fact, is leveling up an experience bar by doing "quests"... "kill 5 runt goblobs," "collect 10 rosemary appleblossoms."

I used to enjoy it for the playing with other people, but I don't get much enjoyment out of those games alone. It's just so rote and repetitive. I knew it was bad, looking back, when I thought about how I'd turn on a podcast or the like sometimes because it was so mindless. Meanwhile, in a game like this, I'd just get major distracted if I tried to play something in the background.

But yeah, I think the folks working on xpacs for this game are not much in favor of checklist gameplay. The active careers admittedly had checklists but they were also one of the first xpacs. Stuff we've gotten this year like Vampires and Parenthood is more non-linear design.
  • Options
    tinahjalmartinahjalmar Posts: 1,595 Member
    I'm always looking at my Sims Stats