The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Feedback Thread - For All Games!

Comments

• MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,749 Member
    I have no idea where I want to go since I want to have at least 2 weeks where Jane is wearing a head covering because she's feels bad about how she treated Hannah? Hannah isn't recovered yet..she's still in hospital. But I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do with this chapter.. like how do I have Jane's "friends" will react because 1)they're also on the tapes and had it before Jane. 2)how would they respond to her wearing a headcovering?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    I have no idea where I want to go since I want to have at least 2 weeks where Jane is wearing a head covering because she's feels bad about how she treated Hannah? Hannah isn't recovered yet..she's still in hospital. But I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do with this chapter.. like how do I have Jane's "friends" will react because 1)they're also on the tapes and had it before Jane. 2)how would they respond to her wearing a headcovering?

I would think her friends would be a little shocked. They might shun her, or they might try to be supportive, depending on their nature.

With them also being on the tapes, they might feel ashamed and defensive, and so, perhaps, they won't want to admit they had done anything wrong, and they might try shifting blame onto Jane, especially since she is marking herself out by wearing the headcover.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    Hey guys! Need some advice on how to put together a chapter.

Originally I was just going to have it be a photo collage of some time passing, but I decided to write a bit of reflection that leads the character to this point.

I'm unsure whether to have all the decision making (writing portion) first, followed by all the action (screen shots), or to mix it all together as if the character is thinking back on what led them to this decision in the first place.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    @Karilan Ooh this is tricky. I think both methods could work. Part of it probably depends on how long the reflection is. If you were able to have like, one or two sentences in between each picture, it could read as pretty powerful, you know? But on the other hand, it might be nice to let the pictures kinda stand on their own separate from the writing. Hmm...
    snvAF3B.png
    @Karilan Ooh this is tricky. I think both methods could work. Part of it probably depends on how long the reflection is. If you were able to have like, one or two sentences in between each picture, it could read as pretty powerful, you know? But on the other hand, it might be nice to let the pictures kinda stand on their own separate from the writing. Hmm...

Hmm, good point @CitizenErased14! It's short, ended up being only about 450 words. I can split it up into about 8 paragraphs to 10 screens, which would still allow for a few screens in a row to deliver the final punch I want it to.

The setting of the reflection and the setting of the screens are polar opposites too. I'm not sure if that would be jarring or actually emphasize the need for the action.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    The contrast idea sounds really intriguing @Karilan !
    snvAF3B.png
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    i'm struggling again. yesterdays adrien chapter probably made no sense because i am nervous about doing it.

maggie and adrien now have to explain to erica . maggies daughter that her dad is bisexual. and married to a man and a woman.

but i don't have a clue how to do that.
    i'm struggling again. yesterdays adrien chapter probably made no sense because i am nervous about doing it.

maggie and adrien now have to explain to erica . maggies daughter that her dad is bisexual. and married to a man and a woman.

but i don't have a clue how to do that.

I thought yesterday's chapter was great. You can just write it the way you have been. It's OK if the characters feel a little confused, and you can just try to imagine what it would be like to be in that situation.

Here's a decent article about polyamory--although this about a bi woman who's with a woman and a man, the article makes some good points about relating with respect, encountering prejudice and lack of acceptance from the mainstream, and founding relationships on love and honesty. http://www.cltampa.com/news-views/article/20735259/my-poly-adventure-polyamory-bisexuality-and-me

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,749 Member
    I was thinking that Kendall for some reasons is able to send Henry off to that 72 year war..since he pulled political strings but thing is..Selene is still the Leader of the world. So how do I make that sense? Unless the department of wars is in Kendall's parents' care.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • 15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    Hello everyone! I'm currently working on tomorrow's special Halloween chapter of The Shadow Over Newcrest, and I'm stuck on this bit of dialogue.
    Context: Mortimer and Bella wait for Alexander at the bottom of the attic stairs, but are too busy fighting to notice that he has returned.
    “I told you it was a bad idea,” my mother said. “He’s a Bachelor through and through. Once you get him started on something, you can’t stop it.”

Mortimer sighed, as if he had been through this conversation thousands of times. “Then he would have found out, regardless. Let him find it! Besides,” he sniffed, “He’s a Goth. We have uncanny intuition, you know.”

Remarkably, my parents were so busy fighting that they hadn’t noticed my return.

“Not this again! Mortimer, you're so predictable. Next you’re going to tell me about your witch of a mother…”

“Well, she was!”
    Do you guys have any suggestions on where this conversation should go?
    15aewar wrote: »
    Hello everyone! I'm currently working on tomorrow's special Halloween chapter of The Shadow Over Newcrest, and I'm stuck on this bit of dialogue.
    Context: Mortimer and Bella wait for Alexander at the bottom of the attic stairs, but are too busy fighting to notice that he has returned.
    “I told you it was a bad idea,” my mother said. “He’s a Bachelor through and through. Once you get him started on something, you can’t stop it.”

Mortimer sighed, as if he had been through this conversation thousands of times. “Then he would have found out, regardless. Let him find it! Besides,” he sniffed, “He’s a Goth. We have uncanny intuition, you know.”

Remarkably, my parents were so busy fighting that they hadn’t noticed my return.

“Not this again! Mortimer, you're so predictable. Next you’re going to tell me about your witch of a mother…”

“Well, she was!”
    Do you guys have any suggestions on where this conversation should go?

Would it work to simply end it there? It's believable, fun, and engaging...

If the point is that they're too busy to notice that Alexander has returned, that point gets across...

I could see the narrative focus following him towards whatever it is he's going to do once he ascends the stairs (that's where my attention as a reader goes, at any rate...)

@CathyTea Huh, that's a good idea!

You know what's really weird? Sometimes, just asking for ideas helps me see how things should go.

I wonder if it's because it forces you to crystallize the question, or something?
  • Similla_Similla_ Posts: 37 Member
    hello everyone!
    I'm having trouble on starting my story. I have all the idea and everything planned out, but i'm very bad at deciding how i want to start it and I would like to hear some thoughts. Do you think I should just jump right in and start the story as the dialog right away or should I introduce with everyone in my story first and explain the plot? Im sooo confused -.-
    tumblr_inline_ozdhvnXqXe1v8iihq_500.png
    It Just Makes Sense
  • AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    Similla_ wrote: »
    hello everyone!
    I'm having trouble on starting my story. I have all the idea and everything planned out, but i'm very bad at deciding how i want to start it and I would like to hear some thoughts. Do you think I should just jump right in and start the story as the dialog right away or should I introduce with everyone in my story first and explain the plot? Im sooo confused -.-
    In my opinion, as a reader, I would want some idea of what the story is going to about. If you can do that effectively with the dialogue in the beginning then that works, otherwise I think a short summary at the beginning or a prologue that will introduces the main character and as much backstory as you want to divulge would be nice. Either way the first chapter or prologue should set up the gist of the story so readers are interested in what's going to happen and will get invested from the beginning. My two cents! :)
    hello everyone!

Sometimes, the best way to start is to just write. One tip that I've heard is to make a detailed outline of how events will happen in your story. Put them in the order you wish to tell them, then just sit down and let the words come through!

Remember, just putting words up on the screen is half the battle. Don't worry about whether it's good or not - you can always change things later.
  • AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    15aewar wrote: »
    hello everyone!

Sometimes, the best way to start is to just write. One tip that I've heard is to make a detailed outline of how events will happen in your story. Put them in the order you wish to tell them, then just sit down and let the words come through!

Remember, just putting words up on the screen is half the battle. Don't worry about whether it's good or not - you can always change things later.

Very true!
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited November 2017
    Hello,

Some of you might remember me. I started my very first Wordpress for a story I wanted to write back in May of this year. It has a prologue and the first chapter and is called Hold Me Close. I haven't continued with the story because I lost my passion to write it. Sadly, the words weren't coming and I just lost interest, wasn't feeling it at all.

Currently, I came up with an idea for a story written in a way I've never seen anyone write before. I'm very excited about it and have already built the first 'set' (the lot for my Sim that will evolve over time), created my main character, have a title, a few screenshots and a rough idea how the story will go. Well, I have two different ways to start the story and can't decide which one to develop. That's not my question for feedback though.

My question is, what do I do with my previous story that will basically be abandoned? Do I just post that it's been cancelled? Do I remove all the pages and/or start a new Wordpress? Should I just 'archive' the story on my Wordpress and post a new home page with graphics, links, etc. for the new story or...what?

What is the normal/accepted way others have handled this situation? I'd love any and all thoughts and advice about it. Thanks! :)
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    Hello,

Some of you might remember me. I started my very first Wordpress for a story I wanted to write back in May of this year. It has a prologue and the first chapter and is called Hold Me Close. I haven't continued with the story because I lost my passion to write it. Sadly, the words weren't coming and I just lost interest, wasn't feeling it at all.

Currently, I came up with an idea for a story written in a way I've never seen anyone write before. I'm very excited about it and have already built the first 'set' (the lot for my Sim that will evolve over time), created my main character, have a title, a few screenshots and a rough idea how the story will go. Well, I have two different ways to start the story and can't decide which one to develop. That's not my question for feedback though.

My question is, what do I do with my previous story that will basically be abandoned? Do I just post that it's been cancelled? Do I remove all the pages and/or start a new Wordpress? Should I just 'archive' the story on my Wordpress and post a new home page with graphics, links, etc. for the new story or...what?

What is the normal/accepted way others have handled this situation? I'd love any and all thoughts and advice about it. Thanks! :)

some people cathtea and a bunch of others have more than one active story.
    edited November 2017
    Yes, I know they do and I'm in awe of them. But in my case the previous story would most likely never be continued so it wouldn't be an active story. Thanks for the feedback though! :)
    Yes, I know they do and I'm in awe of them. But in my case the previous story would most likely never be continued so it wouldn't be an active story. Thanks for the feedback though! :)

in my case i had a lot of broken saves so i delete everything and do a do over like little kids do. its confused my readers at times but when it broke in january i posted a note.

most people have resolutions like lose weight mine is finish this story.

I hate to ever lose or discard writing, even if it's something I doubt I'll come back to. I'd archive it and mark it on hiatus or cancelled or just "on the shelf". You never know if inspiration will swing that way again one day!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    Hello,

I would leave it for sure. Who knows? You might return to it at some point. And the short story you wrote for it was so beautiful! I'd really hate for it to disappear. In fact, since you've got a short story there already, you could always use it for a place where you have future short stories you write!

Plus, I'll let you in on a little WordPress tip I use... if you have some blogs that don't get used a lot, you can use them for picture storage! Just upload your pics there, insert them into a dummy draft, grab the HTML code, and paste it into the real draft on your active site! It's a great way to get more storage!

Okay, I think what I'll do is mark it as "Discontinued" and keep that blog for short stories and archives. I love your idea about picture storage too @CathyTea thanks for the suggestion! Thanks too for saying my story is beautiful. I do love that story, but I just don't have any ideas for it right now and doubt I ever will.

I have one more question though from your feedback. Are you saying I should start another blog for this new story? Do I make a link to it from the old story home page? The home page for my Wordpress is currently all about Hold Me Close. Should I revamp it to be more generic for all my stories? Or should I just leave it alone and link to it with a new blog for the new story and make that home page more for all my stories?

I apologize, I'm still a bit confused with Wordpress since it's still relatively so new to me.

Thanks so much for the feedback so far @friendsfan367 @Karilan and @CathyTea, it's very helpful. :)
    Okay, I think what I'll do is mark it as "Discontinued" and keep that blog for short stories and archives. I love your idea about picture storage too @CathyTea thanks for the suggestion! Thanks too for saying my story is beautiful. I do love that story, but I just don't have any ideas for it right now and doubt I ever will.

I have one more question though from your feedback. Are you saying I should start another blog for this new story? Do I make a link to it from the old story home page? The home page for my Wordpress is currently all about Hold Me Close. Should I revamp it to be more generic for all my stories? Or should I just leave it alone and link to it with a new blog for the new story and make that home page more for all my stories?

I apologize, I'm still a bit confused with Wordpress since it's still relatively so new to me.

Thanks so much for the feedback so far @friendsfan367 @Karilan and @CathyTea, it's very helpful. :)

You have so many options, and each one has plus and minuses!

A) Start a new blog for the new story...
    Advantage: It's new! It's fresh! You can use the other one for pic storage eventually (if you ever run out of space on the new one... which probably takes about 500 pics, so you might not ever run out!)
    Readers can just follow it without having to keep track of the other....
    Disadvantage: You'd have to set it up, which takes time... some readers who follow your old blog might not find this one... two blogs to remember that you have (not really an issue, except for folks who like to keep track of everything in their minds)

B) Use the existing blog for the new story...
    Advantage: You've already got the blog there! Readers who follow the existing blog will be updated of new posts. Everything is in one place! You don't have to keep track of two!
    Disadvantage: Your old story would be there, and if you had negative feelings about not working on it, you'd be reminded... You'd have more than one story per blog (Some writers don't like that.)

Personally, I'd probably choose B, for I love to have everything in one spot. I figure if readers like one of my stories, they'll probably like others. My stats on my main blog are way, way higher than those on my other blogs, which host only a single story.

But other writers would choose A for really good reasons!

So, think about where you want to go when you update your new story, and if you feel good about going to your current blog, there's your answer! If you'd feel better going to a brand new blog, there's your answer!

Thanks for the advice and insight into my options. I'll give it some thought before making a final decision, but I'm leaning more towards a fresh start with a new blog right now. Knowing me, I would fret about the old story and feel guilty about not completing it every time I loaded up the blog to work on my new story.

However, it would be nice to have everything in one spot and already established. It took me quite awhile to set that one up and I've probably forgotten how to do a lot of things by now. o.O Hmm...

Gut feeling though is start fresh. That's most likely what I'll do. I have some time before I'll need to do anything though since I haven't even begun to write the new story (except in my head) and need to figure out which of the two directions to start.

Thanks @CathyTea you're always so helpful and understanding. *Hugs* <3