Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do I have to own a pet clinic?

Don’t get me wrong, the pet clinics sound fun. (They sound a lot (and I mean a lot) like restaurants though, but that’s a topic for a different conversation.)
However, after reading the blog and watching the trailer, I was left a little confused. Do we have to buy a pet clinic to be a veterinarian? Can’t we just be a veterinarian without owning a clinic? My sims are not all rich. They can’t afford extra $20000+
Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

Comments

• samemiesamemie Posts: 1,623 Member
    I think you have to buy a clinic, pretty sure it works exactly the same as retail lots, restaurants and stuff.
  • PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
    samemie wrote: »
    I think you have to buy a clinic, pretty sure it works exactly the same as retail lots, restaurants and stuff.

Well, it sucks. Why can’t we have an option to just work in a clinic? I would like to just be an employee. I don’t want to own my own clinic.
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

• HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    Make them an employee instead.
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member

If that works like the retail system, your sim will be unemployed the second you play him as an active household.

Once I tried to hire my own sims for my business and when I would play them, they would be set as unemployed...
    21mbz47.jpg
  • samemiesamemie Posts: 1,623 Member
    I agree that it would be nice to have the option for sims who can't afford a whole new lot to be able to be employed as a vet too, but also there are things about the vet career that I think are far better than restaurants. When I first made a sim own a restaurant I was very disappointed to see my sim couldn't actually work as the chef or anything, whereas at least with this your sim can work as the vet in their own clinic. I guess they could have done it either way, either making an active career (like GTW) or making a business and they just happened to do it this way. There are pros and cons to each. I know it's not exactly what you want but you could just cheat enough money for them to buy and build a vet lot and then pretend like they're working for someone higher up?
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Don’t get me wrong, the pet clinics sound fun. (They sound a lot (and I mean a lot) like restaurants though, but that’s a topic for a different conversation.)
    However, after reading the blog and watching the trailer, I was left a little confused. Do we have to buy a pet clinic to be a veterinarian? Can’t we just be a veterinarian without owning a clinic? My sims are not all rich. They can’t afford extra $20000+

Why would you just want to work in the clinic and not be the vet? What would you do, mop up the pet pee? If it were possible to just be an employee, you'd still probably be doing the same stuff anyway.
  • pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member
    The sim I want to be a vet doesn't have enough money to buy her own clinic either. I'm guessing there won't be an actual career for our vets, much the way there isn't a career for restaurant or retail owners. I asked this question on Twitter and got no answer, which probably means it's a no.

What I plan to do is create another sim more experienced/older/richer (with money cheats, lol!) to buy the clinic, then I'll move my sim into that household for a work shift so she can work for that sim. They have confirmed that household members can work with and be trained by the clinic owner. Then she'll take home something in her inventory for her paycheck.

But I guess as far as the game is concerned, she'll still be unemployed when she goes back home.
    edited October 2017
    I have to admit, I don't get this wanting to be just an employee and not the owner/manager/vet of a clinic. It's like wanting a fleshed out teaching/school EP and only wanting to play as the custodian. Where's the challenge?
    edited October 2017
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

Why would you just want to work in the clinic and not be the vet? What would you do, mop up the pet pee? If it were possible to just be an employee, you'd still probably be doing the same stuff anyway.

Because I’m not interested in only having rich vets. It’s like having all careers but being the boss in all of them. They don’t even build up to it.
    Also some of us play rotational and we want more than one sim to be vets, and the only way for us to do that is by owning two different clinics.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • dragonkiwiidragonkiwii Posts: 124 Member
    If you really want to get a clinic and don't have enough money, simply do ctrl+shift+c to open cheat bar and type motherlode to get 50,000 simoleons. But if you don't use cheats, I would suggest just saving up.
    i like anime and stuff
  • KarallyneKarallyne Posts: 362 Member
    I have to admit, I don't get this wanting to be just an employee and not the owner/manager/vet of a clinic. It's like wanting a fleshed out teaching/school EP and only wanting to play as the custodian. Where's the challenge?

The challenge would be in having to struggle to work your way to the top. Not just become a vet (something which takes years of training to do) simply because you have the money to open a clinic. Not everyone wants all of their characters to be the "boss" in each of their careers.
  • pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member

I totally do want my sim to be a vet and own her own clinic some day, but I don't want to cheat her into it. The way I see it, she'll be a vet in training for now. Then she'll buy her own clinic when she's older.
  • Toadette12Toadette12 Posts: 193 Member
    That's annoying, I would've preferred for my Sim to just be a vet and not have to own a clinic too since most of my Sims aren't rich.
    TS4_EP04_WebQuiz_04.jpg
    Toadette12 wrote: »
    That's annoying, I would've preferred for my Sim to just be a vet and not have to own a clinic too since most of my Sims aren't rich.

Yes, that. And the fact that we can’t have more than one vet per saved game, unless they all belong to the same household or build a clinic per vet
    21mbz47.jpg
    Orchid13 wrote: »

Because I’m not interested in only having rich vets. It’s like having all careers but being the boss in all of them. They don’t even build up to it.
    Also some of us play rotational and we want more than one sim to be vets, and the only way for us to do that is by owning two different clinics.

You could start with a clinic that has the minimum amount of equipment, one exam table, one surgical machine and one lab to make medicine. The struggle could be doing other boring jobs in order to save money to open your own clinic. As for having two different clinics, you could have one small clinic in each world just starting out with the bare minimum. No need to have all rich vets or any for that matter,
    edited October 2017

You could start with a clinic that has the minimum amount of equipment, one exam table, one surgical machine and one lab to make medicine. The struggle could be doing other boring jobs in order to save money to open your own clinic. As for having two different clinics, you could have one small clinic in each world just starting out with the bare minimum. No need to have all rich vets or any for that matter,

Doesn’t change the fact that I need to build more than one clinic. Doesn’t change the fact that my Sims can’t be co workers, but that are forced to compete with each other instead. Doesn’t change the fact that you are not even a vet, you are just a sim that owns a place and that automatically turned them into vets. It’s not a career.
    21mbz47.jpg
    Some of you people are never happy. With Dine Out, you could own the restaurant but not be the chef or hire family and people complained and still do. So, now in Cats & Dogs, you can own the business, be the vet, hire, train and discipline other sims, even your own family, and still it's not good enough. You don't want to own the clinic or be the vet, you want to be an employee in someone else's clinic. I think some of you are never going to be happy because you don't want to be happy. I don't know, maybe you think you don't deserve to be happy. Its puzzling.
    Some of you people are never happy. With Dine Out, you could own the restaurant but not be the chef or hire family and people complained and still do. So, now in Cats & Dogs, you can own the business, be the vet, hire, train and discipline other sims, even your own family, and still it's not good enough. You don't want to own the clinic or be the vet, you want to be an employee in someone else's clinic. I think some of you are never going to be happy because you don't want to be happy. I don't know, maybe you think you don't deserve to be happy. Its puzzling.

What? You can be a vet without owning a clinic. I want sims that are vets not business men , we already have that career
    21mbz47.jpg
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Everyone is different. I am happier since finding out the clinic is a business rather than a career which I wasn't expecting.
  • HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member

If that works like the retail system, your sim will be unemployed the second you play him as an active household.

Once I tried to hire my own sims for my business and when I would play them, they would be set as unemployed...

I think this system works differently, because they also said that family members can be a worker instead of running the clinic.
    edited October 2017

I think this system works differently, because they also said that family members can be a worker instead of running the clinic.

I’m not sure. I mean if they can hire family as vets, it’s because they also own the clinic. But what happens if they hire a friend that doesn’t belong to the same household? The only way for both to be vets would be if two different households could buy the same clinic. That would be fine by me , like if they could turn into partners.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Everyone is different. I am happier since finding out the clinic is a business rather than a career which I wasn't expecting.

Same. It's actually a very nice surprise for me, since I hate playing with standard careers and having set work hours etc.

I can understand why it would be disappointing for others, though. There's no point in dismissing everyone else's opinion as some sort of desire to be unhappy simply because they had different expectations.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member

The Vet "career" is just like restaurants from Dine Out. You have to own a clinic to be a vet.
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member

Hey, don't laugh. That's what I used to do. Me and three other people kept the clinic clean, walked the dogs, cleaned the kennels, gave the animals fresh food and water (if they weren't going to have surgery), as well as bathe the animals that were going home.

There's probably a few things that I'm forgetting, but this was over 20 yrs ago (plus my memory issues have gotten worse these past few years). :(
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
    edited October 2017

I want to be a vet, but I don’t want to cash out a ton of simoleons to buy my own vet clinic.
    Having to buy and build a clinic just so your sim can become a veterinarian means my sim has to be already rich to start with. You can’t work your way to the top. You have to be a rich clinic owner veterinarian from the get go.
    I don’t want to be a businessman.
    I don’t want to buy my own clinic.
    I just want to be a simple veterinarian that goes to work 9 to 5 and helps animals.

Then what about rotational players?
    Having to build a vet clinic per household considering the sims 4 world sizes... don’t even get me started. We would run out of free space so fast.