Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

•→ Attention•Gallery Download Cheating Is Real ←•

GLovely1GLovely1 Posts: 793 Member
Letter to Maxis – A Problem & Possible Solution

Respectfully, I will openly discuss a long-term problem with the Sims 4 gallery. Please note this is not about “stealing”, “re-uploading” or “copying” another creation so please steer clear of bringing that up here and focus on this secret problem in our gallery I am presenting.

I call this hidden problem cheating on your own download number. This is an unfair gallery tactic that many players are using to move their own creations up and into the “popular now” section of the gallery. Players do this to gain extremely fast but completely faked popularity & fame. Being at the top of the popular now section week after week allows your creations to be seen by the majority of simmers. Those simmers see something at the top & usually go follow that top “popular” simmer too. Some creators don’t care about being noticed in the gallery & don’t focus on the numbers because the joy of playing & creating something beautiful is the main drive. I completely get that because I was one of those creators. However, I felt that way when I believed the number system the gallery was built upon was honestly functioning. Meaning 1 download per person, 1 fav heart per person. Recently though I have learned the specific method by which many players cheat on their download total. Yes, there is a way to quickly & easily increase your own download total on every creation you upload without needing followers or even a fav heart clicked on the creation. At this time, I do not think it would be wise of me to share the few specific steps of this cheat method but please believe me it is extremely easy to do. In addition, I know it can be done as I have tested it out personally once. I have also shared my discovery with several gallery friends I trust and they tested this method also. Since my discovery of this problem I have been upset & angered seeing the disrespectful actions of those players choosing to abuse our gallery system by cheating. ***I have removed the part about looking for yourselves to see evidence as I do not want this to turn into a "witch hunt". My goal is not to point fingers at individual simmers who are cheating. My goal is to make all simmers aware of this problem & to encourage Maxis & the powers that be to investigate & make positive change.*** We all know the gallery system depends on fav hearts to move our creations around the gallery & our loyal followers who enjoy our creations enough to consistently fav & download them. In my opinion, using this cheat tactic is blatant misuse of the gallery system. I have been disappointed in this dysfunctional abuse to our gallery ever since I found out about this problem a few months ago. Even through my disappointment I still choose to support the gallery & this game that I absolutely love so I have decided to attempt to make all players aware of this dishonest gallery action by this forum discussion.

I also believe in searching for a solution when presenting a problem so I ask everyone who has any control of updates and game changes to consider this system abuse & quickly find a reasonable, respectful & fair play solution. I have given this much thought personally and I hope you will consider my solution as follows:

Since the number tracking system is already in place, please consider switching the number this system measures to track in the popular now section. Change from measuring the download total number to the fav heart total number. To my knowledge there is no way to cheat on the fav heart number. Each player gets only 1 click on the heart. If we re-click it the heart deactivates and takes 1 number away from the fav total. We can re-click again to add our 1 fav back into the total and that’s all. Plus, we creators can’t fav our own creations so this way it really is up to what the gallery views as “popular” and not the selfish dishonest actions of individual players faking their way to the top by cheating on their own download total.

Thank you for reading my words & considering any possible solution to change this unfair abuse to the current gallery system.

Respectfully,
Caring Sims 4 Fan - GLovely1
Lisa

I am choosing to tag the following SimGurus in hopes they will quickly see this information & consider moving this forward to the people who can create positive change in our gallery. Thank you for your attention to this concern.
@SimGuruNick @SimGuruDrake @SimGuruSteve @SimGuruGraham @SimGuruGrant
Please join my 💜 Quick Creativity Challenge 💜 forum thread
[img][/img]kU5Eaxv.png

Post edited by GLovely1 on

Comments

• gillr52gillr52 Posts: 35 Member
    I support this thoughtful and measured call for action and I hope that the "powers that be" take notice.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    Way to go, @GLovely1 I like a person who sees a problem, presents it in a clear, cohesive way and then offers a possible solution. Well, done. You have my support, too.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • kass17kass17 Posts: 92 Member
    Thank you for this letter, ver well said dear We are all concerned by this problem.
  • sweetness86sweetness86 Posts: 33 Member
    Yes!!!! Thank you so much Lisa @GLovely1 for taking the words right out of my mouth! Fully Support this!! This is a real problem in the gallery.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited October 2017
    You make a thread claiming you have discovered a method people are using to cheat their way to the top of the charts BUT you’re unwilling to share or even describe such method?

Skeptical.
  • agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    That would explain why so many of the builds in "popular now" section are... simply bad :/ I don't even browse gallery anymore because of this, I look for creation showcases on tumblr.
  • Celticgamer0Celticgamer0 Posts: 1,997 Member
    I'm confused... I upload stuff to the gallery almost all the time and very few if any people fav my creations yet they download them. I did not know about this cheat and find it dishonest, but others might think I do cheat because of the numbers? I might be misreading and I am not disapproving the fact it needs to be fixed as I do believe it does if it is an issue. I just don't want people to think I am cheating the system.
  • xxUSERNAMExxxxUSERNAMExx Posts: 2 New Member
    I don't what sims 4 GAME pack to buy can some one plz respond :)
  • GLovely1GLovely1 Posts: 793 Member
    I very much appreciate you taking the time to read my words and sharing your honest thoughts we all of us about this here as well :)

@agustd Yes, I agree with you in both the "lots" and the "households" there are simply bad creations. It took me 1 1/2 years to figure out why creators were getting so many downloads with few to no favs or comments. Those people are cheating, plain and simple.

@Chazzzy I do not "claim" this .. I know this .. as I have said I have actually done it and though I clearly do not approve of this method I am willing to do it once in the gallery to show it can and is easily being done. The main reason why I don't want to describe the actual method is sadly that will give people who do not care and are willing to cheat the exact easy way to do it. There are enough cheaters in the gallery already. I do not want to create more. Thank you for bringing up this valid point though :smile:

@sweetness86 @kass17 @GalacticGal and @gillr52 Thank you sweet friends for constantly supporting any and everything I do in the gallery and now here in the forums. I was nervous to "blow the whistle" on this issue but I am glad I did and am hoping together we can make a positive gallery change :smile:
    [img][/img]kU5Eaxv.png

Thank you for your honesty and please do not be confused @Celticgamer0 The simplistic way I described it was to try to be as clear as possible using the fewest words as possible. I did bring up followers but lets focus on them here. Naturally the more followers you have the more your creation will get downloaded with or without many fav hearts. Also, if you are known for building that is who is mostly following you so it is natural to have a higher DL total there. The cheating comes into play when a simmer does not have many followers to back up the initial and fast download amount or when every single creation soars rapidly to the top of the popular now section no matter if you have few or many followers. If something looks too good to be true it usually is .. statistically it is impossible to have every creation you ever make be a top hit in the gallery. Plus, I am not saying every high DL creation is cheated on so please don't worry. Play and create honestly in the gallery is my message and my desire to change this very unfair game play :smile:
    I'm confused... I upload stuff to the gallery almost all the time and very few if any people fav my creations yet they download them. I did not know about this cheat and find it dishonest, but others might think I do cheat because of the numbers? I might be misreading and I am not disapproving the fact it needs to be fixed as I do believe it does if it is an issue. I just don't want people to think I am cheating the system.

[img][/img]kU5Eaxv.png

• LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    edited October 2017
    Sorry but the job of Maxis is to add gameplay and content to the basegame.

Maxis is not YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, ... The Gallery popularity brings nothing to the game, the everyday life of the sims.

It's useless to be obsessed by the popularity in a video game which will end soon. Nobody will remember their names in 5 years.
    You're right @LeGardePourpre it is useless to be obsessed by the popularity in the gallery. Do I love making creations that others appreciate and enjoy in their game? Yes .. is in nice to have a kind word, fav or download on our creations? Yes .. I am not focused on the popularity here. I am focused on the fairness. Fair play in the gallery. The gallery system is set up with the obvious focus on "popularity" by maxis favs and the existence of the popular now section in the gallery in the first place. Part of buying into the gallery is buying into that system. I am pointing out that I have learned the system is faulty. There is a loophole that allows people to cheat on their own creation downloads. I am sure Maxis did not intend this loophole to be used in this abusive dishonest way so I state my findings and ask for change. I see something wrong and I try to right it :) Thank you for your honest reply.
    Sorry but the job of Maxis is to add gameplay and content to the basegame.

Maxis is not YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, ... The Gallery popularity brings nothing to the game, the everyday life of the sims.

It's useless to be obsessed by the popularity in a video game which will end soon. Nobody will remember their names in 5 years.

[img][/img]kU5Eaxv.png

• LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    Sadly, internet isn't fair.

A lot of people cheats, they purchase fake "Likes" on Facebook or fake "Followers" on Twitter. The popularity is totally fake.
    There is always a way to cheat.
  • Celticgamer0Celticgamer0 Posts: 1,997 Member
    GLovely1 wrote: »
    Thank you for your honesty and please do not be confused @Celticgamer0 The simplistic way I described it was to try to be as clear as possible using the fewest words as possible. I did bring up followers but lets focus on them here. Naturally the more followers you have the more your creation will get downloaded with or without many fav hearts. Also, if you are known for building that is who is mostly following you so it is natural to have a higher DL total there. The cheating comes into play when a simmer does not have many followers to back up the initial and fast download amount or when every single creation soars rapidly to the top of the popular now section no matter if you have few or many followers. If something looks too good to be true it usually is .. statistically it is impossible to have every creation you ever make be a top hit in the gallery. Plus, I am not saying every high DL creation is cheated on so please don't worry. Play and create honestly in the gallery is my message and my desire to change this very unfair game play :smile:

Ah thank you for clarifying :smile:
  • ChristianSimFanChristianSimFan Posts: 546 Member
    That's the Internet for ya
  • Vee_SamVee_Sam Posts: 54 Member
    Wait, wait, wait. You can cheat on your gallery downloads. Haibo! And I can't even cheat to get my sim a free house.
  • ladyloialladyloial Posts: 537 Member
    Sadly it probly can't or won't be changed, I play honestly and will continue to do so, I support and will be hopeful that it can and will one day :)
    aaagXEr5xv_zps9aeuclrp.jpg
  • kittymeowkittymeow Posts: 7,338 Member
    Wow I never knew this, I think it's very sad for someone to fake that just so their creation is popular. I've noticed quite a lot of creation with a lot of faves and downloads and wondered how they got there, lol now I know. I wish people would just be happy with what they make and not have to fake faves to make them feel better about themselves.
  • Vee_SamVee_Sam Posts: 54 Member
    @kittymeow I agree with you when you say that a person should feel proud of their work. I do admit it does suck when you get a bad comment on a creation but I try to remind myself that not everyone will like my creations. But as long as I like them than I am fine. And at the end of the day what you think of your own creations, is the only thing that matter.
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    GLovely1 wrote: »
    Letter to Maxis – A Problem & Possible Solution

Respectfully, I will openly discuss a long-term problem with the Sims 4 gallery. Please note this is not about “stealing”, “re-uploading” or “copying” another creation so please steer clear of bringing that up here and focus on this secret problem in our gallery I am presenting.

I call this hidden problem cheating on your own download number. This is an unfair gallery tactic that many players are using to move their own creations up and into the “popular now” section of the gallery. Players do this to gain extremely fast but completely faked popularity & fame. Being at the top of the popular now section week after week allows your creations to be seen by the majority of simmers. Those simmers see something at the top & usually go follow that top “popular” simmer too. Some creators don’t care about being noticed in the gallery & don’t focus on the numbers because the joy of playing & creating something beautiful is the main drive. I completely get that because I was one of those creators. However, I felt that way when I believed the number system the gallery was built upon was honestly functioning. Meaning 1 download per person, 1 fav heart per person. Recently though I have learned the specific method by which many players cheat on their download total. Yes, there is a way to quickly & easily increase your own download total on every creation you upload without needing followers or even a fav heart clicked on the creation. At this time, I do not think it would be wise of me to share the few specific steps of this cheat method but please believe me it is extremely easy to do. In addition, I know it can be done as I have tested it out personally once. I have also shared my discovery with several gallery friends I trust and they tested this method also. Since my discovery of this problem I have been upset & angered seeing the disrespectful actions of those players choosing to abuse our gallery system by cheating. If you would like to see evidence of what I am talking about simply go into the community page to the popular now section. This cheating is easiest seen if you scroll farther down on the page. You will see many creations that have few to no fav hearts or comments and yet have over 100 downloads. We all know the gallery system depends on fav hearts to move our creations around the gallery & our loyal followers who enjoy our creations enough to consistently fav & download them. In my opinion, using this cheat tactic is blatant misuse of the gallery system. I have been disappointed in this dysfunctional abuse to our gallery ever since I found out about this problem a few months ago. Even through my disappointment I still choose to support the gallery & this game that I absolutely love so I have decided to attempt to make all players aware of this dishonest gallery action by this forum discussion.

I also believe in searching for a solution when presenting a problem so I ask everyone who has any control of updates and game changes to consider this system abuse & quickly find a reasonable, respectful & fair play solution. I have given this much thought personally and I hope you will consider my solution as follows:

Since the number tracking system is already in place, please consider switching the number this system measures to track in the popular now section. Change from measuring the download total number to the fav heart total number. To my knowledge there is no way to cheat on the fav heart number. Each player gets only 1 click on the heart. If we re-click it the heart deactivates and takes 1 number away from the fav total. We can re-click again to add our 1 fav back into the total and that’s all. Plus, we creators can’t fav our own creations so this way it really is up to what the gallery views as “popular” and not the selfish dishonest actions of individual players faking their way to the top by cheating on their own download total.

Thank you for reading my words & considering any possible solution to change this unfair abuse to the current gallery system.

Respectfully,
    Caring Sims 4 Fan - GLovely1
    Lisa

I am choosing to tag the following SimGurus in hopes they will quickly see this information & consider moving this forward to the people who can create positive change in our gallery. Thank you for your attention to this concern.
    @SimGuruNick @SimGuruDrake @SimGuruSteve @SimGuruGraham @SimGuruGrant

Since you are not willing to tell us how people are doing this, it makes me think this:
    • you yourself are doing this and this is you bragging about it
    • you are fabricating this whole non-problem for attention seeking
    • you have way to much time and imagination on your hands
  • LordOfTendonsLordOfTendons Posts: 250 Member
    You don't have to follow someone or favorite something to download things on the gallery. In fact, it's easier to click just click download without following or favoriting. I don't follow or favorite a lot because I don't like having the feed cluttered and getting notifications every two seconds when I'm playing. I've seen stuff out there that didn't seem to deserve the number of downloads they had, but if you really think they're abusing the system you should probably hit the report button rather than posting here.
  • RhiskRhisk Posts: 3 New Member
    This is all very sad to me. If am honest I can understand why some people would cheat. It makes them feel good to have a large numbers of DLs. The only reason I personally would want DLs is because I believe someone really liked my creations and was playing with my work in the game. That makes me happy. However, I do have a troublesome thought, the people who cheat may likely have an addiction problem. I have seen it over and over again, even in my own family. This is heartbreaking to think about. I love the Sims. It is a wonderful outlet for creativity and imagination. I play and create. I enjoy the work of others and I enjoy when others like mine. I don't aspire to have 100,000 Dls or thousands of followers. I love my friends and followers and take care of them all even if I am their only follower. I don't understand what there is to gain in cheating other than a sense of self importance or an addiction. I know it is hard for the honest creator who has spent many long hours on creating to see a cheater take the easy road to success. It can be very frustrating. I do know that before becoming involved in the gallery/community I only favorited creations that I wanted to get later, it was a way to find them later, but if I found what I wanted or liked at the moment I just downloaded and moved on with my game play. To @Celticgamer0 's point, many regular every day Simmers don't always favorite before downloading. So the number of favorites my not be the most perfect way to go. This certainly is a dilemma. As for not revealing the way to cheat, I am glad @GLovely1 is not revealing the secret. I would rather not see the gallery become any more inflated than it is. My thoughts for a solution is a Identity ticker. This would allow only one count per EA ID. So if EA Id for Jane Doe downloaded a creation it only counted one DL, any subsequent DLs would not increase the DL count. Well that is my humble input. Happy Simming to you all! **hugs**
  • kittymeowkittymeow Posts: 7,338 Member
    Vee_Sam wrote: »
    @kittymeow I agree with you when you say that a person should feel proud of their work. I do admit it does suck when you get a bad comment on a creation but I try to remind myself that not everyone will like my creations. But as long as I like them than I am fine. And at the end of the day what you think of your own creations, is the only thing that matter.

@Vee_Sam I'm sorry you've had bad comments, so have I before. I think there are some trolls going round on the gallery who just want to make others feel bad, ignore them. They're probably jealous of your creation and are the ones faking their own faves. :D
    Yes you're right, it shouldn't matter how many downloads or faves yoh get, if you like it then that's what matters!
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited October 2017
    The Gallery is just a mess, full stop. Unless I'm searching for a specific sim, ID, or build, I don't even bother with it.
    I agree @ladyloial that it is a sad state and feeling like it can't or won't be changed. I am however an optimist at heart so I had to try to open up and shine a light on this dishonest way some simmers are using our gallery. Play fair .. be honest .. support each others efforts a creating. Thank you for playing honestly and continuing to hope with me. :smile:
    ladyloial wrote: »
    Sadly it probly can't or won't be changed, I play honestly and will continue to do so, I support and will be hopeful that it can and will one day :)

[img][/img]kU5Eaxv.png

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top