Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Thank you @ciane , @creativemetaphor and everyone for your kind remarks.
    Challenge #195 - The Wishes of the Dead

Brief:
    Create the graveyard on any lot as long as it's 30x40 or over. It must include:
    • a Mausoleum
    • a groundskeepers cottage, consisting, 1bedroom, 1 bathroom and the usual living and kitchen areas, an office space of some kind, with ample space for three large dogs
    • landscaping
    The styling is your choice.
    Your budget is $45,000

Sim Challenge:
    Create Erisa with whatever traits you thin would suit her and show her maintaining the graveyard.

Deadline: Tuesday, October 31st, 2017, Midnight EST

Very creative story telling.

I have created Erisa and her 3 dogs and also the "graveyard" on a residential 30X40 lot. Should it be on a community lot so it can be designated as a cemetery?
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    cwaddell wrote: »
    Challenge #195 - The Wishes of the Dead

Brief:
    Create the graveyard on any lot as long as it's 30x40 or over. It must include:
    • a Mausoleum
    • a groundskeepers cottage, consisting, 1bedroom, 1 bathroom and the usual living and kitchen areas, an office space of some kind, with ample space for three large dogs
    • landscaping
    The styling is your choice.
    Your budget is $45,000

Sim Challenge:
    Create Erisa with whatever traits you thin would suit her and show her maintaining the graveyard.

Deadline: Tuesday, October 31st, 2017, Midnight EST

I have created Erisa and her 3 dogs and also the "graveyard" on a residential 30X40 lot. Should it be on a community lot so it can be designated as a cemetery?
    Up to you my sweet, it's certainly not a pre-requisite.

GArBA5W.jpg
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member

Drat...I forgot about the dogs :# Back to the drawing board!

I was wondering about the lot type myself. If it's community the kitchen has major limitations on the other hand, if it's residential, you can't really make it a graveyard.
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Can't you start with a residential lot and make the kitchen and then change it to commercial keeping the stove? I generally use the pizza oven or Japanese grill to get around the stove issue on community lots; but it seems that I've gotten away with adding a stove to a fire station by calling it residential first.
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    Question for anyone: is it actually possible to change the color of the 'whites' of the eyes without mods or CC?
    Question for anyone: is it actually possible to change the color of the 'whites' of the eyes without mods or CC?

Don't think so, at least I have never seen a way to do it.
    ciane wrote: »
    Can't you start with a residential lot and make the kitchen and then change it to commercial keeping the stove? I generally use the pizza oven or Japanese grill to get around the stove issue on community lots; but it seems that I've gotten away with adding a stove to a fire station by calling it residential first.

I gave this a try yesterday.

I opened a new residential lot and put all the stoves I have, not including the pizza oven, Japaneses grill or the Business as Usual stove. Then I changed it to a commercial lot. The pop up that says some items are not allowed came up and every one of them was deleted.

So my kitchen will consist of the pizza oven and a microwave.
  • ZayvenZayven Posts: 67 Member
    If it's a residential lot, you don't have access to the mausoleum / etc. If it's a community lot, you don't get to place a stove, nor the family. It seems like a catch 22. I went through the process of finding CC for the eyes and making Erisa and fam before realizing I can't put them on a community lot. I was just going to infer there being a stove xD

Thanks for the info about residential vs. community everyone.
    edited October 2017
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #195 - The Wishes of the Dead

NAME: cwaddell

LINK TO LOT: Bonekeeper Graveyard on mediafire

LINK TO MEDIA: Builds by cwaddell - Bonekeeper Graveyard

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: Bonekeeper household media link and download link

LEVEL: intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: Built as a 30X40 residential lot at 17 Maywood Lane in Sunset Valley (across from the Bunch house). Cost - $38,241

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Bonekeeper Graveyard

The graveyard has a mausoleum with a caretaker's cottage behind it with 2 dog houses for 2 of the 3 guard dogs. Currently there are 12 grave plots occupied with 12 more ready for use. There is also room for more plots to be laid out along the walkway under the willows and along the fence in the back. There are deathfish in the reflecting pool. The caretaker's cottage has a great room and bathroom downstairs and a bedroom with office space upstairs.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: for info about CC used on Erisa see Bonekeeper household media link above.
    @Zayven While you can't directly place the family on the lot, you can place them in a home, then use a cheat to give them enough funds to buy the community lot. At that point you can have them go there and use all the features on the lot as if it were a home.
    @cwaddell Beautiful graveyard! Very peaceful looking
  • djsdragongirldjsdragongirl Posts: 843 Member
    Just a quick thought/question.... Can we make 2 separate ones, one showing that we made the cemetary with the caretaker cottage as commerical and then one as a residence where we have our own "mausoleum" with the graves & stuff?
  • Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    Just an idea, but what if you make your own mausoleums, rather than using the rabbit hole building?
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
    edited October 2017
    What a perfect family and lovely job on the cemetery @cwaddell! I love the symmetry, layout, and landscaping. I like the way the grounds keeper cottage is behind the mausoleum and that it blends in so well. Perfect roof choice too!

Also, you don't have to buy a commercial lot to have your family live there. I often place a sim on an empty lot and just have them go to commercial lot and basically live there. If you don't have anything on the empty lot, you won't even need to pay the bills there. I just add a basement to the residential lot so a sim can buy it. Then, I just have the sim live on the commercial lot. You just won't be able to buy more things for the commercial lot until your sim can buy it without using edit town mode. Just make sure your sim isn't on the commercial lot when you edit it! :)

I enjoyed doing this challenge, but I probably didn't meet the reqs as I added all-in-ones to the lot and then just placed a chamber pot in the bedroom and a bathtub in the main room by the fire place in an old time way. I'll have some pics for you in a bit.

Enjoy doing the challenge! I look forward to seeing everyone's work.

I uploaded mine here: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9147828
    Pics are in the upload, as always.
    Post edited by ciane on
    @cwaddell Beautiful graveyard! Very peaceful looking

Thank you.

ciane wrote: »
    What a perfect family and lovely job on the cemetery @cwaddell! I love the symmetry, layout, and landscaping. I like the way the grounds keeper cottage is behind the mausoleum and that it blends in so well. Perfect roof choice too!

Also, you don't have to buy a commercial lot to have your family live there. I often place a sim on an empty lot and just have them go to commercial lot and basically live there. If you don't have anything on the empty lot, you won't even need to pay the bills there. I just add a basement to the residential lot so a sim can buy it. Then, I just have the sim live on the commercial lot. You just won't be able to buy more things for the commercial lot until your sim can buy it without using edit town mode. Just make sure your sim isn't on the commercial lot when you edit it! :)

I enjoyed doing this challenge, but I probably didn't meet the reqs as I added all-in-ones to the lot and then just placed a chamber pot in the bedroom and a bathtub in the main room by the fire place in an old time way. I'll have some pics for you in a bit.

Enjoy doing the challenge! I look forward to seeing everyone's work.

I uploaded mine here: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9147828
    Pics are in the upload, as always.

Thank you for your kind remarks also good info on "living" on a community lot. I'm looking forward to seeing your cemetery and everyone's else's too.
    Just an idea, but what if you make your own mausoleums, rather than using the rabbit hole building?

That's what I've done :)
    edited October 2017

NAME: creativemetaphor

LINK TO LOT: not uploaded

LINK TO MEDIA: Eternal Rest Memorial Park

2-cemetery-exterior-1.jpg

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: included in above

LEVEL: advanced

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 40x40, custom placement in Moonlight Falls, final cost $44,999

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Eternal Rest Memorial Park is a peaceful place for both the living and the deceased. The lighter palette softens the gloom one feels when they visit, easing the mind that the loved one is now in a better place.

The cemetery offers an inviting entrance area which leads along a reflecting pool to the mausoleum where cremated remains are stored. The main feature of the mausoleum is the central tree growing inside, ensuring life is still abundant even in this place. Shelves allow visitors to leave flowers or other mementos for the memorial plaques marking each urn's place. Four benches inside give ample place for visitors and grievers to stay.

Behind the mausoleum is a pond with deathfish, and landscaped seating areas where a deathflower can be found.

There are 25 burial plots laid out - though more can be added beyond the reflecting pool if needed. There are 7 tombs for fallen heroes, those who died in the line of duty to help others - military, police, and fire. There is also a small area for pets where a statue commemorating the horses which brought the first settlers to this town has been restored.

When the city expanded the lot borders, the foundations of the old church were found, with an entrance to the catacombs. Still not yet safe for the public to visit, this area was walled off to become the new grounds keeper's cottage, rebuilt to mimic the original church to maintain the feel of the place. The main floor offers an open living, study, and kitchen, a generous fireplace, and a bath off a small hallway. Stairs lead to the upper floor where everyone has a place to sleep. The entire cottage was decorated with Erisa's unique tastes in mind, but nowhere is this more evident than her bedroom.

The basement holds a work-bench, tools of varying kinds for tending the grounds and seeing to any repairs as needed, an easel, and a place for Erisa to keep in shape with martial arts or aerobic exercises. It also keeps the dogs' toys out from underfoot in the main house and secures the entrance to the catacombs.

This end of the catacombs was still intact and many of the tombs were left undamaged. There is an old ceremonial table and a shelf with urns, but further in the structure has given out and the ceiling and walls collapsed in. Erisa was insistent that she be the one to do the restoration work below ground. What lies beyond the cave-in? She is sure to find out!

During the day the dogs can run and play in the generous yard around the cottage, and at night they are let into the main cemetery to deter intruders on the inside, but Erisa keeps spray paint on hand for when the troublemakers tag the outside of the walls with graffiti. That doesn't happen too often, as she tends the grounds after dark so as not to disturb visitors. During the day she keeps to the house, painting or playing her violin, or playing with the dogs.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes please

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED:n/a
    I like the fact that the grounds keeper cottage is enclosed with a separate gate. nice use of both the gothic windows and spires as well as the greenhouse pieces.

NAME: Kgaff

LINK TO LOT: not uploaded yet

LINK TO MEDIA: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16092930/#Comment_16092930

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: not uploaded yet - Pictures combined with the lot pictures.

LEVEL: Intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 40 x 40, 2500 Pinochle Point, 44,863

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Everlasting Slumber Cemetery has been completely renovated with a calm and serene park like atmosphere.

Two new entrances welcome visitors, one from the car park and one from the front for those who choose to walk in. At the front of the property is a small seating area for resting and reflecting area decorated with a soothing fountain and moon dial. A death plant and a life plant can also be found here.

The pond is lovely with a statue and water lilies and is stocked with death fish.

New headstones have replaced the broken and missing ones. A new small A family plot has been reconstructed and the mausoleum has been faithfully renovated. There is also small crypt for the placing of urns

The keepers cottage has the basic necessities, one bedroom with an all in one bath. The kitchen is outfitted with a fridge, pizza oven and sink. A small eating area is open to the living room with lots of room for the three dogs to move freely. A desk is tucked in the hall way leading to the bedroom.

Outside in the fenced yard are three dog houses with food dishes and toys for the dogs.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes
    CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED:N/A
    I agree. The pond is lovely! Nice job!
    Eternal Rest Memorial Park
    Wow, a catacomb. Love the decor of your cottage and the mausoleum with the urns and tree growing inside is fantastic.
    Kgaff wrote: »

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Everlasting Slumber Cemetery

Great layout of the grounds. Very scenic shots of some of the sectioned off grave sites. Like how you did that. Great crypt with urns, etc. Cozy cottage, very homey. Too bad about the weather stone. I think there is a way to remove it, but I'm not sure how.
    @cwaddell Thank you :)
    edited October 2017
    Kgaff wrote: »

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Everlasting Slumber Cemetery

Too bad about the weather stone. I think there is a way to remove it, but I'm not sure how.

I just simply deleted it from the lot. It spawned a new one in a new place, ironically on another version of my graveyard. :o
  • ZayvenZayven Posts: 67 Member
    What's the current best way to post your lot for this if you're apparently not a "member" on the forum yet? I need 14 more posts before I'm allowed to be a member and I don't think spam is the way to do it... Do posts on the old sims forum not count or something?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top