Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

does sims 3 seem to run a bit sluggish on windows 10?

early this morning i installed sims 3 on my windows 10 64 bit pc, i've got an intel dp43tf mobo and a intel core 2 quad q8300 cpu, sound b;aster x-fi xtreme music sound card and a geforce gt 730 2gb card all with current drivers.
after i started the game it mentioned that it didn't recognize my graphics card but i was able to set the game's graphics settings to 1600 x 900 the maximum my led monitor can go up to. and i set the detail settings at their highest settings.
and i have 7 gb of ram.

Comments

• Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I haven't noticed any performance difference between Win 7 and Win 10. I have an Intel Core i7-3770, 16 GB RAM, and an Nvidia GTX 770 card. I use onboard audio.

You'll want to go into Nivdia setting and enable vsync (and play in full window); the game doesn't have a frame rate limiter. I edited some graphics files to get the game to recognize my Nvidia card. I don't know if that helped or not.
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Nope faster than ever but it is installed on my new laptop.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Sorry, but this isn't exactly a Win 10 thing. An Nvidia GT 730 benchmarks only slightly higher than integrated graphics. It's not really strong enough to carry the heavier EPs (how many do you have in play and which ones) and expecting the game to run on it with on high graphics settings in Game Options is unrealistic.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited October 2016
    early this morning i installed sims 3 on my windows 10 64 bit pc, i've got an intel dp43tf mobo and a intel core 2 quad q8300 cpu, sound b;aster x-fi xtreme music sound card and a geforce gt 730 2gb card all with current drivers.
    after i started the game it mentioned that it didn't recognize my graphics card but i was able to set the game's graphics settings to 1600 x 900 the maximum my led monitor can go up to. and i set the detail settings at their highest settings.
    and i have 7 gb of ram.

The GT 730 is a lower end card and your cpu is like 8 years old. If your trying to run all eps or the more demanding ones Your game might not run that well. To run all eps efficiently you really need an i5 quad and in the 700 series Nvidia you need a GTX 760 or better.

If anything I see windows 10 not liking your older CPU. Windows 10 is made to run with newer hardware
    Post edited by phoebebebe13 on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    igazor wrote: »
    Sorry, but this isn't exactly a Win 10 thing. An Nvidia GT 730 benchmarks only slightly higher than integrated graphics. It's not really strong enough to carry the heavier EPs (how many do you have in play and which ones) and expecting the game to run on it with on high graphics settings in Game Options is unrealistic.

They have an old cpu and I bet windows 10 is not to fond of that either. Its not just the card :/

This cpu was issued 2008 http://cpuboss.com/cpu/Intel-Core2-Quad-Q8300
  • Options
    MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member
    I play on a nvidia 750 ti and runs really great .if I cut down on my cc more then I'd run it as smooth as butter.but it also helps to have the nraas mods
    Happy Simming!♥
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    There is a world of difference between a GT 730, a GTX 750 Ti, and some of the other cards mentioned on this thread, though. The amount of video memory (vram) isn't the issue, it's the overall strength, or lack of strength, of the card that's the game-killer.

@phoebebebe13 - Yes I was going to mention the processor from 2008, hesitated and finally figured in this particular case maybe it wasn't the weakest link. But I would be very wary of putting Win 10 on that one myself except maybe as an experiment.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    AllMadHereAllMadHere Posts: 55 Member
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    I haven't noticed any performance difference between Win 7 and Win 10. I have an Intel Core i7-3770, 16 GB RAM, and an Nvidia GTX 770 card. I use onboard audio.

You'll want to go into Nivdia setting and enable vsync (and play in full window); the game doesn't have a frame rate limiter. I edited some graphics files to get the game to recognize my Nvidia card. I don't know if that helped or not.

I had to use my video card software to help with the frame-rate issue too, since my computer was so powerful. I found the game ran much better when I kept all the settings at highest quality.
  • Options
    @igazor Overall op might need a new computer. There is only so long you can keep computer hardware. Looking at older posts of op's, they have had that cpu a long time. I believe they added the GT 730 later. They could try going back to windows 7 if that was what was on their computer before. If they had vista they would have to purchase a copy of windows 7
  • Options
    Simsplayer34Simsplayer34 Posts: 23 Member
    i'm right now erasing my hdd so i can do a clean install of windows 7 64 bit, i really wasn't having lag maybe lag issues with my old ralink rt61 turbo wifi card since i was running the most current driver for it (for windows 7 and i had to install it under compatibility mode) i only have one other wifi adapter and that one is usb based and doesn't get as good of reception.
    maybe my installing my ralink drivers in windows 7 compatibility mode might have causing my occasional lag in games and i think windows 10 might have been installing legacy drivers for my mobo.
    but other games ran fine on max settings.
  • Options
    Simsplayer34Simsplayer34 Posts: 23 Member
    im adding to my previous post, i've ran elder scrolls online on max settings just fine, who knows maybe i was having issues with sims 3 and origin? :D
  • Options
    im adding to my previous post, i've ran elder scrolls online on max settings just fine, who knows maybe i was having issues with sims 3 and origin? :D

Im looking at the specs for elder scrolls and it's max is a 560 ti which can not run the whole sims 3 game. The sims 3 with all eps has higher specs than elder scrolls. http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_System_Requirements

It's your hardware being low end combined with windows 10. Good that you are going back to windows 7. That should help a little. You can put origin in off line mode and turn origin off in game http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/deactivate-origin-in-game/

• Options
    Titanic1Titanic1 Posts: 95 Member
    i can't even play sims 3 on windows 10 suddenly
  • Options
    Titanic1 wrote: »
    i can't even play sims 3 on windows 10 suddenly
    Leaving aside the OP on this thread who was working with a nine year old computer, why exactly are we blaming Win 10 and not something else if the game ran before and suddenly does not?

The recently released Creator Update, though, is not playing well with TS3 and other games of its time.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15902876/#Comment_15902876

If that's not causing the sudden failure, we would need to know more about the system you are playing on. A dxdiag report could help us see what your system is running. You would have to paste one in by sections as it would be far too long to fit into one response or use pastebin.com and provide a link for us to see it.
    https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    It takes a bit of fiddling with at first (manually setting vsync and getting it to recognize your gpu) but sims 3 actually runs better than it ever has, it's very CPU heavy so with most computers having better cpus now than we did then sims 3 takes great advantage of it.

nps on windows 10, though I do run it in w7 compatibility mode or it goes a bit borky with some radeonpro settings.
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    McTosh wrote: »
    It takes a bit of fiddling with at first (manually setting vsync and getting it to recognize your gpu) but sims 3 actually runs better than it ever has, it's very CPU heavy so with most computers having better cpus now than we did then sims 3 takes great advantage of it.

nps on windows 10, though I do run it in w7 compatibility mode or it goes a bit borky with some radeonpro settings.

In all fairness I have to do that for TS3 on any new computer. I noticed the shortest hang when moving the camera that I didn't with Windows 7 but I don't know if it's a Windows 10 thing.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    MazakeenMazakeen Posts: 440 Member
    As so many has said before, that computer can, but wil not run Sims 3 optimally. The hardware is ‘just’ suffering from old age. An advice, not previously mentioned, though.... If running Win10, do yourself a favor, and uninstall any added 3rd party antivirus-programs. There are to many to mention, but they are pretty useless and slog down your computer horrendously. Use Windows own AV and firewall. To keep your computer smooth(er), install Ccleaner and Malwarebytes. They are free and in conjunction with Windows own av/firewall, its a win.
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
  • Options
    AnimaagAnimaag Posts: 319 Member
    Also in Windows 10 with newer NVIDIA GPUs disabling the Windows Game mode overlay helps tremendously. You can do it by right-clicking on TS3.exe, choose Attributes and under Compatibility un-check the overlay part (sorry, I don't remember the exact line). It is the Creators Update thing.
  • Options
    jjames041jjames041 Posts: 65 Member
    not me playing the sims3 on windows xp x64 edition
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    The game, aside from an occassional bug here and there, runs pretty good on my windows 10, it'd run better if I'd chop out my mods LOL.