Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Update to Sims 3 on Origin + CAW

Comments

• fxchrfxchrfxchrfxchr Posts: 329 Member
    pallokalo wrote: »
    I've had problems with EIG so freaking long. I have re-installed everything, my game has the newest game patch and I did re-install CAW from the link on the first page - still, doesnt't work. Launcher or Origin didn't pop up as they used to in the previous version, but that was all. Literally nothing happened, except the rendering window went blue. I thought that it might just be running slow, but after half an hour of waiting I had to admit that EIG won't be opening.

I love the creating a world, it's the number one reason to play TS3. Nothing on this thread seemed to be helping. Is there anything I can do anymore?

Maybe only two things:
    1) check the CAW threads here at the forum
    2) go back to 1.67 if you can
    Good luck :neutral:
    Firby nurbs!
  • SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    edited October 2016
    Karritz wrote: »
    Timevessel wrote: »
    Caveland? What is that, Karritz? Do you know who makes it or any other info to find a copy to purchase? Thanks.

It is a REALLY old game that doesn't run well on Windows 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biI-nNHRSHk

I don't remember who made it.

I'm pretty sure you can't buy it any more.

It's a strategy game. You start with a few dwarfs and they multiply. You have to build them houses and grow food.

They do the work. The more you have the more work gets done.

You have gardeners and diggers. They usually start out as being undefined and you have to build a factory to make watering cans and picks and they choose one or the other to become a gardener or digger.

All varieties can build.

Your diggers dig tunnels and build bridges and ladders as they look for spaces to build in and tombs to search for plans to build factories, storehouses and houses to live in.

The game ends when they have found all the pieces to the secret door and then it is safe to let them go to the surface.

your game sounds like a game I play called The promised land. Some of you may have heard of it.
    little workers build things, plant, water, and you sell things in a huge ship. You can even teach them
    after you build a school, and another place (forget name right now) and you can buy skilled workers when
    you get enough money. You have to make sure you build a hospital because some of the workers, especially the woodcutter is working a dangerous job & needs special herbs to heal
    The more time goes on the more workers come & you have to make sure to feed them all, & be fast too.
    Its fun. Has a side game of knocking pirates down with a ball.
    The creators make The Promised Land, Buried in time, Road to Rome 1,2,3, & new Generation, Artist Colony & more.
    They are strategy, time management games.
    Some screen shots here http://www.gamehouse.com/#/games/the-promised-land
    igazor wrote: »
    KiloD2 wrote: »
    Does this tool work for those of us that have the "social version" that supposedly disabled the CAW tool? Thanks! :)
    I believe it's Patch 1.69, however it's arrived or for whatever reason, that broke the original version of CAW and requires this new version. So the base game being social vs. the originally produced discs shouldn't really matter. Edit in Game (EIG) might be a different matter, but not sure why this would be so.

CAW EIG has been broken since at least before Dec 2013. I was having major problems with it
    Here is one of my threads. There is a link to another one about CAW & EIG not opening in this thread.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/729773/how-are-you-builders-able-to-use-caw-with-origin#latest
    edited October 2016
    fxchrfxchr wrote: »
    So, what about fixing issues with the CAW for the non-origin versions? Installed for the 1.67, and the edit in game will not open, at all. Everything else is great.

Perhaps reinstall CAW??? I'm at 1.67, non-Origin, and EIG, thankfully, works for me .

It's an Origin problem because my problems with CAW/EIG started right after Origin updated around 2013.
    I tried to roll back the version of Origin but it didn't work.
    Contacted Origin directly, they tried to help but the things they tried didn't work
    Tried uninstalling, re-installing but that didn't work.
    Its a problem where CAW /EIG .exe points to the Launcher to open the game rather than just opening the game like
    it used to and the launcher requires you to pick a family to play so that won't work.
    It started right after Origin updated. Then one day it worked but I never played with it because I finished my world on
    an older computer with an older version of CAW.
    Evidently the fix didn't last long. Now here we are with same problem.
    Some said it was the Sims social version of the game causing problems but I didn't have that version & still had the CAW/EIG problem. It's Origin.
    igazor wrote: »
    I give up!!!!!! I tried reinstalling caw but all it says is: "The signature of ts3caw (1),exe is corrupt or invalid". I can even download it from the original page. The caw i have now is just teling me the memory is corrupt.

Wait a minute, I'm not a CAW user but I can tell you what those things mean.

Getting a file called ts3caw(1).exe for a download means you already had a file called ts3caw.exe downloaded to the same location even if it was only a partial or problematic download. Since you cannot have two files by the same exact name in the same location, Windows sticks a number in parentheses in there to distinguish them from each other.

But the signature corrupt issue is very common. I assume you are using Internet Explorer to download the file, it's being overly sensitive to the way in which the file was created and in this case complaining about something that just doesn't matter. The solution is to download the tool using a different browser, such as Firefox or Chrome.

Clean uninstall first, removing all left over files of CAW in registry too
  • yankigal12yankigal12 Posts: 6 New Member
    I know EA is trying to get us all to start plunking money into the Sims 4 but it is such a step back that it will not happen for many of us. Why is it so hard to fix an issue with 2 expansion packs not loading like all the others do. Mac users pay more for their systems and are apt to spend more if EA would provide support and a product that works for Mac users. Sick and tired of nothing out of EA but "looking into it" and "duh" This CAW for PC is BS. Solve the problem that will allow me the play the EPs I paid money for or return my money because it does not work.
    I tried to download CAW but my computer says that it contains a virus ...

I have tested the download on my own computer and haven't had an issue. Could you take a screenshot of what your computer is showing?
    @SimGuruDrake great to see that PC users can now use CAW again but any news on the graphics issue still making the game completely unplayable on post-2013 Macs?

The team is still looking into this issue.
    @SimGuruDrake great to see that PC users can now use CAW again but any news on the graphics issue still making the game completely unplayable on post-2013 Macs?

The team is still looking into this issue.

Thanks.

Seems @BluebellFlora is the only one working on solving Sims3 Mac issues; To quote Tim Gunn "Make it work"
    @SimGuruDrake is anyone on the "team" looking into the issue of why items purchased from the sims store will download to the launcher but will not allow them to be installed in the game? Right now sims3packs cannot be installed whether you put them in the downloads folder or from the launcher. I have tons of sets I bought from the store, reward items for buying all the packs and because of having to reinstall all my games because of the LN and AMB EPs debacle (fixed thanks to a member not the "team"), now this is the current issue. I have Sims4 and the expansion packs, I hate it, I want to play Sims3, please provide some support and fix this issue.
  • catsanchez27catsanchez27 Posts: 52 Member
    I have never used the CAW tool, so I think this is why I'm confused right now. I want to give the tool a go, but will this update potentially screw up my Sims 3 game at all? Or are they two completely separate entities?

Also, is there a difference between the CAW EIG that people have reported having issues with, and editing a new town you've created in your game? Or are these the exact same thing?
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I have never used the CAW tool, so I think this is why I'm confused right now. I want to give the tool a go, but will this update potentially screw up my Sims 3 game at all? Or are they two completely separate entities?

Also, is there a difference between the CAW EIG that people have reported having issues with, and editing a new town you've created in your game? Or are these the exact same thing?
    CAW is a standalone program. You can download and install the 1.67 version if you are on that patch level or the 1.69 version if you have updated to that patch. CAW Edit In Game (EIG) is part of the program. If you update to 1.69, then your game will be controlled by and will need to be started up through Origin every time. There is no change to the way the game actually plays on 1.69, but if you have any core mods (there are only five of them for TS3), they will need to be updated as well or you will get dire sounding warning messages.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Patch+1.69

CAW and its EIG function have nothing to do with the changes we can make without that in Edit Town within the game like placing lots and moving them around, if that was part of the question. Many of us never use CAW and rely on EA and custom made worlds' designs to function for us without making deep design level changes.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • EasySimmerEasySimmer Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi i know this has nothing to do with this update but please could you update the actual sims 3 game to run with newer computers and graphics because many simmers on macs and maybe PC players have trouble even playing sims 3 would be a dream if your could as i am scared to update my mac because sims 3 will have more issues thanks hope you can pass it on!
    edited August 2017
    EasySimmer wrote: »
    Hi i know this has nothing to do with this update but please could you update the actual sims 3 game to run with newer computers and graphics because many simmers on macs and maybe PC players have trouble even playing sims 3 would be a dream if your could as i am scared to update my mac because sims 3 will have more issues thanks hope you can pass it on!
    Hi there. Just a fellow player here but I'm afraid there isn't going to be anyone to pass this onto. There hasn't been a TS3 development team in place at EA for well over three years now. The final meaningful patches that actually affected gameplay were released in Jan 2014 and as near as we can tell the team was disbanded. The "update" or patch this thread was about was merely concerned with the Origin tie-in and the way in which the game starts up, nothing more. The game files remained unchanged.

Players with newer PCs do have some hoops to jump through to get things working at least close to as they should, but most are successful if their new hardware is strong enough to carry the game.

But the Mac version of TS3 is different. It was always a crippled version of its Windows counterpart as EA never did a proper port of this game into OS X like they have done with all of the other sims games in the series. It's I'm afraid all it's ever going to be at this point. I play TS3 on a Mac but can only get it to run the way I need it to by having Bootcamped Windows onto it and I play the Windows version on that side of things. The Mac version is just far too limiting even when it does work right.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Hawkflight1066Hawkflight1066 Posts: 245 Member
    So far as I'm concerned Sims 3 is now playing better for me than it ever did since I first bought it. Reason - I now have 16GB of RAM instead of the 3 that I had on my old Vista machine. And I have a huge hard drive with plenty of room. Sims 3 eats resources, but I love it. I do own Sims 4 - just the base game and the freebie Christmas stuff. I played it long enough to grow a family, build a house, move house, but as soon as I began to buy the Sims 3 expansions that would never fit on my old pc I abandoned Sims 4. I've grown used to controlling Sims 3. Sims 4 controlled me. Constant noisy, demanding goals, sims getting old and dying - it wasn't for me. And I detest the reduced image quality and the return to the loading screens to go anywhere. I love Sims 3 landscapes, the sheer beauty of the game is far superior to Sims 4. The game just would not run, though, without the NRAAS mods I use, and the substitute lots I've used to replace faulty ones. I guess it was a bridge too far for EA and they retreated to an easier, more lucrative version of the game rather than fix the problems with Sims 3.
  • Anutcka888Anutcka888 Posts: 1 New Member
    Не могу найти друга.
  • Lexers615Lexers615 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Anutcka888 wrote: »
    Не могу найти друга.
    According to Google translate:
    "I can not find a friend."

@Anutcka888 Я отправил тебе запрос. Я использовал переводчик гугл.
    My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    Academic Trait: Adventurous
    Social Group Trait (Should I ever become "Nerd" enough): Computer Whiz
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." Cpt. Edward A. Murphy Jr, USAF
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • AmserdamsimsAmserdamsims Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello everyone !

I've seen all the conversation about the problems of compatibility between Sims 3 games and CAW and its fonctions,

So that i'm asking you if it's possible to return to the old version 1.67 without any problems (without Origin)?

I explain
    I've called EA-Origin yesterday because i wanted to cancel my account with them for the Sims 3 Game. I'm with the last version 1.69..... and the CAW doesn't work for me too when i want to Edit in Game my world. I wanted to cancel it, in order to re install my CD Game whithout Origin and return back to the last version 1.67

The counselor told me that if a cancel everything (after having uninstall the game on Origin), I won't have the possibility to reinstall my game, even if without Origin !

As if my CD's code (the 20 letters and numbers we can find in the boxe of the Game CD to install it), will finally be desactive and won't work at all ! :open_mouth:

Can someone tell me if this is likely to happen?

I'm waiting for your answer !!
    Thank's in advance.
    edited October 2017
    @Amserdamsims - On the CAW issue, you are aware that there is a separate version for Patch 1.69 and, if so, is this one not working for you?
    https://www.thesims3.com/game/tools/world

On the re-install question, if your re-installation of the base game and all EP/SPs is to be all disc, no download digital at all, and if your base game disc was manufactured before Sept 2012, then you can do an all disc installation and stay on Patch 1.67. The trick is to decline any offers to install the EA Download Manager (EADM) or Origin along the way and use EA's Super Patcher to bring your game up to 1.67 only. The EADM was Origin's predecessor and it will keep trying to update itself to be Origin again.

You will also need to clean the Windows registry using a tool such as the free version of Piriform's CCleaner after uninstalling but before re-installing from the discs.
    https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

If your base game disc was manufactured after Sept. 2012, then Origin is required and you will be back on 1.69 again. The vintage of the EP/SP discs does not matter either way.

You could certainly uninstall the Origin program on your end, but I'm not seeing why it would be necessary for EA to cancel your account. If they do that, then probably your EA TS3 Store account would get canceled also and you wouldn't be able to access or purchase EA TS3 Store items, worlds, etc.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • LittleGirlsCryLittleGirlsCry Posts: 33 Member
    I have a question. My local goodwill sells Sims 3 expansion CDS. Would they work if I used them, if they've been used before?
    I have a question. My local goodwill sells Sims 3 expansion CDS. Would they work if I used them, if they've been used before?
    They could be used as install media, but they cannot be registered to a second owner if the original one already used the code. That means that if you have an Origin-managed install, I believe that Origin will not recognize you as having the rights to run those packs.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Lewis8Lewis8 Posts: 12 New Member
    Have had issues lately with the Create A Household mode not allowing usage after 30 sec. Even after three uninstall/installs, it's still a problem.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    edited February 2018
    Lewis8 wrote: »
    Have had issues lately with the Create A Household mode not allowing usage after 30 sec. Even after three uninstall/installs, it's still a problem.

Uninstall/Install generally doesn't solve anything. It is just a fun way to waste time.

Most issues with Sims 3 games are caused by corruption in you user data folder. Or if your computer is unable to cope.

The problem you're having with CAS could be caused by either issue.

The way to find out if it's user data is to go into The Sims 3 folder that is in My Documents (Documents). Where your user data defaults to.

Then, when your game is not loaded, rename the Sims 3 folder to something else. I generally put an x at the end of it's name.

Then launch The Sims 3. This will give you a fresh Sims 3 folder. None of you installed content or games will be in it.

Start a new game and see if you can use CAS.

If it still crashes, then maybe your computer is the problem.

Perhaps @phoebebebe13 can help there if they're around. They can generally be found in Technical section. You'll need to post your computer specs. There are others there who can help you as well.

EDIT: Another thing to consider, since you've already uninstalled and reinstalled a few times - did you clean your registry after doing that? If not you may have a problem there. That's one of the issues doing an uninstall/reinstall introduces to the already existing issues.
  • Lexers615Lexers615 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Is it me, or several comments just got deleted in here lately?
    My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    Academic Trait: Adventurous
    Social Group Trait (Should I ever become "Nerd" enough): Computer Whiz
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." Cpt. Edward A. Murphy Jr, USAF
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • DrusillaWinfreyDrusillaWinfrey Posts: 9 New Member
    I've recently started up my Sims 3 game again. Before, I had High End Loft, Night Life, Pets, Dragon Valley, and Island Paradise. Now, all it's showing is HEL, Island Paradise, and Night Life. I have the disks for Pets and Dragon Valley but when I inserted them, I had to input a code. I do not have said code anymore and was hoping there was something I could do?
    edited April 2018
    I've recently started up my Sims 3 game again. Before, I had High End Loft, Night Life, Pets, Dragon Valley, and Island Paradise. Now, all it's showing is HEL, Island Paradise, and Night Life. I have the disks for Pets and Dragon Valley but when I inserted them, I had to input a code. I do not have said code anymore and was hoping there was something I could do?
    Are you using Origin to manage and startup the game? If so and Pets has gone missing on the Patch 1.69 pack chooser tab, then try updating Origin. Then try rebooting your computer. If that's not helping, then try uninstalling Origin (only) and reinstalling it. Your game installs will stay in place, it's just the Origin client program I mean here.

Dragon Valley is not an expansion or a stuff pack, it is a store world. It won't show on the pack chooser tab, it should merely show as installed EA Store content and a world to play in-game. Doesn't matter if Origin "thinks" you have it or not, the important thing is if its content works.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Scorpina2009Scorpina2009 Posts: 1,547 Member

\
    I used to have the caw tool, but now I don't. Can I download it from the sims store?

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top