Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

OMEN by HP

verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
edited October 2017 in PC - Technical Discussions
Has anyone run the Sims 4 on one of these?
My HP Envy is over 5 years old (still runs the game well as long as I don't play for too many hours, it over heats)
Thinking I might need to upgrade for the Cats & Dogs

The OMEN is marketed as a gaming laptop
is 8 gb enough? That is what I have now.
This was the one I was looking at, I like the bigger screens and no I don't want a desktop, "have Sims will travel"

OMEN by HP - 17-an010ca
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ (2.8 GHz base frequency, up to 3.8 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
17.3"
8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
2 TB 5400 rpm SATA SSHD

Graphics NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 (2 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
Graphics Integrated

Edited to mention I am in Canada
EA ID burnished_dragon

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    It's enough but you may be able to find a better laptop. do you know the price of the HP laptop you are looking at?

@chesterbigbird or @luthienrising might be able to find you something else. You have Newegg Canada, NCIX.com and bestbuy Canada
  • verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    $1,699, Straight from HP
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    I think you might get something better for that price. I can't post links for you , Im on tablet. Either chester or luthienrising can help you when they come on the forum
  • cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    edited October 2017
    I got my laptop for $100 cheaper and I am in Canada also and it has the same CPU but 16GB of RAM and the 4GB GTX 1050 Ti. I would suggest shopping around more before getting the OMEN, try brands like MSI or Asus. I havent heard anything about HP's cooling solution if its good or not either so not sure about HP for gaming in general.

This laptop is more than enough for simming and will play the rest of the game quite comfortably but as laptops already cost more than desktop I would suggest looking around more for the best bang-for-buck you can get regardless of what games you play as there is for sure better options out there.

You can get my model of the laptop for $1699 here https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234454 the only difference is the SSD is larger (256gb) but if you only play Sims 4 and Sims 4 wont benefit from the SSD much according to phoebebebe then you can try getting the 128GB model, same specs but for $1599 (if you play Sims 3 a lot then get the 256GB SSD, but dont expect much else on there other than Sims 3 when all is said and done) chester might be able to help you out some more with different models like MSI.

EDIT: I know it says "Sold out" but other sites sell that model also. If you want to go even cheaper then look at this one https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834234452
    PC Specs:
    Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
    6685561181.png
    Rogers Ignite 70u internet
    I think this is the same one at Memory Express

https://memoryexpress.com/Products/MX65016
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • Addicted2GamZzAddicted2GamZz Posts: 135 New Member
    I would avoid the HP OMEN and go for something like MSI and Alienware as they have good gaming laptops. What size of screen are you looking for? Alienware does 13\15/17 and MSI does 14/15/17, theres an 18 inch one but it's not worth the price. Try and ger at least 256gb ssd. A 256gb one will be enough for this Laptopto load windows, store data and files and still have enough left over
    Hope you find the laptop you like :), im here if you need any extra help :)
    I would avoid the HP OMEN and go for something like MSI and Alienware as they have good gaming laptops. What size of screen are you looking for? Alienware does 13\15/17 and MSI does 14/15/17, theres an 18 inch one but it's not worth the price. Try and ger at least 256gb ssd. A 256gb one will be enough for this Laptopto load windows, store data and files and still have enough left over
    Hope you find the laptop you like :), im here if you need any extra help :)

17" should be big enough that is what I have now and like it (old eyes lol) I can always hook to second monitor for larger if needed, if gaming in one spot for a bit.
    I saw the Asus at London Drugs for $1,599.99 but sale was over yesterday, the salesman said to watch for good sales Black Friday/ Cyber Monday (cause that is a thing here now, not like US black Friday though)
    EA ID burnished_dragon