Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which one? Any help appreciated! UK based.

So I’ve posted previously regarding which laptop to buy to run sims 4 and all expansion packs and I was looking at the HP Omens, to which helpful simmers advised against! Then I was looking at custom but they’re slightly out of my price range, my budget I’m hoping is around £900-£1050! I’m finally ready to purchase and these are the two I have been looking at:

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7257014

ACER Predator 17.3
Intel Core i5 7300hq quad core processor.
16GB RAM.
128GB and 1TB HDD and SSD storage.
NVIDIA GTX 10 series 1050ti graphics card with 4GB RAM.

Or

https://www.debenhamsplus.com/p/1222206/msi-gp72-leopard-pro-core-i7-16gb-1tb-256gb-ssd-17.3-inch-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-dvd-sm-windows-10-gaming-laptop?refsource=DEadwords&refsource=Deadwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2dWi2ObK1gIVxrjACh1AJgogEAkYASABEgIjV_D_BwE

MSI GP72 Leopard Pro Core 17.3
Intel Core i7 7700HQ Processor
16GB RAM
1TB + 256GB SSD storage. 17.3
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with 2GB RAM.

They seem very similar but which one is better? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
xgu3gOi.gif
"It's just called a phone."
"What an impractical name."

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited September 2017
    the first one . the video card has more vram of 4gb . The second one has 2 gb. You only need 2gb vram for the sims . If your playing other games you might need the 4gb vram however the first laptop only has an i5. if playing higher games you may need the i7 processor

The second one has a better processor and a larger SSD on C drive.
  • HarollyHarolly Posts: 75 Member
    the first one . the video card has more vram of 4gb . The second one has 2 gb. You only need 2gb vram for the sims . If your playing other games you might need the 4gb vram however the first laptop only has an i5. if playing higher games you may need the i7 processor

Thankyou for the reply!! I don’t play any other PC games except the sims, so it will be purely for sims 4 + expansions! :smile: Would it run better with the higher processor or video card vram?
    xgu3gOi.gif
  • SomeChick1SomeChick1 Posts: 535 Member
    Whichever one is more powerful. My PC is more than capable of running the Sims on High graphics according to the specs but not in execution. I have to put it on Medium to get smooth game play and can't even get that sometimes.
    SomeChick1 wrote: »
    Whichever one is more powerful. My PC is more than capable of running the Sims on High graphics according to the specs but not in execution. I have to put it on Medium to get smooth game play and can't even get that sometimes.

I don’t know what makes it more powerful, is it the processor? This is why I don’t ask for advice in shops, they always make out you can run sims on anything but you can’t! Thanks for the reply.
    xgu3gOi.gif
  • cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    edited October 2017
    Deleted, sorry for "ruining" the thread.
    Post edited by cale2003 on
    PC Specs:
    Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
    6685561181.png
    Rogers Ignite 70u internet
    edited September 2017
    Harolly wrote: »

Thankyou for the reply!! I don’t play any other PC games except the sims, so it will be purely for sims 4 + expansions! :smile: Would it run better with the higher processor or video card vram?

Your very welcome . The MSI would no doubt be the better choice for better processor and the larger ssd. You don't need more than 2gb vram for the sims on your vido card. You should be able to play on ultra and it meets recommended requirements
    cale2003 wrote: »

I don’t know what makes it more powerful, is it the processor? This is why I don’t ask for advice in shops, they always make out you can run sims on anything but you can’t! Thanks for the reply.

The processor is an important part but you should also be looking at the video card and RAM. But if you don't have a good processor then getting a good video card will mean nothing as it will have a bottleneck.

The whole "Sims can run on anything" is really a lie unless they mean older titles like Sims 2 or Sims 1 or even Sims 3 to an extent with little EPs or SPs. You need a decent PC for Sims to survive the addons and all that good stuff.

EDIT: One more thing AFAIK I have not found one GTX 1050 Ti with 2GB of VRAM. They make 2 and 4GB VRAM for the GTX 1050.

Cale where are you going with bottle necking. ???? They are trying to pick out two laptops. Bottelnecking is cause by the video card being stronger than the processor. Both the laptops they posted are fine and they are not going to bottleneck.

The processor is an important part but you should also be looking at the video card and RAM. But if you don't have a good processor then getting a good video card will mean nothing as it will have a bottleneck.

The whole "Sims can run on anything" is really a lie unless they mean older titles like Sims 2 or Sims 1 or even Sims 3 to an extent with little EPs or SPs. You need a decent PC for Sims to survive the addons and all that good stuff.

EDIT: One more thing AFAIK I have not found one GTX 1050 Ti with 2GB of VRAM. They make 2 and 4GB VRAM for the GTX 1050.

Cale where are you going with bottle necking. ???? They are trying to pick out two laptops. Bottelnecking is cause by the video card being stronger than the processor. Both the laptops they posted are fine and they are not going to bottleneck.

I'm just telling them for future reference as it doesn't hurt for more knowledge and yes they will be fine, but sorry for not helping.
    PC Specs:
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    6685561181.png
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited September 2017
    The second one looks good at face value but with that 1050 Ti having only 2 Gb whereas most 1050 Ti's are 4 GB is a stickler for me. The processor is nice and the SSD is nice as well. The only thing is with EA/Maxis changing the specs and you want to max out as well. You may at this point but with laptops it is very finicky because you can't really compare an desktop with the same specs with an laptop. The desktop in my eyes will always win being you can upgrade an desktop whereas with an laptop you cannot in some areas and in areas that would matter. It would be great if you knew someone who has those specs because they would know. Once you buy an laptop you are basically stuck with it. The first one I would be more tempting even if it is not an I7 it is an quad core and it is an HQ variant, the video card is an TI with 4 GB Vram. Also, if the SSD can be switched out I would put in an bigger SSD. All in all the best spec on the 2nd one is the processor and for me that is not enough for me to choose it. One other spec the first one has and it may seem minor but in time it will be major as the format becomes popular is the 3.1 USB port which you can get up to 10 Gbps equal to Thunderbolt 1 specs. The price is cheaper as well, the only thing I am unsure of if the HDD and the SSD is combined or separate.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    edited September 2017
    @Goldmoldar They only need 2gb vram for the sims. They state they are not playing any other games. The second laptop is better. It too has a 1050 ti . The i7 quad is better than the i5 quad . Having a larger ssd is also better

The laptops would also be under warranty so you cant touch anything in the laptop including switching out a hard drive

I'm just telling them for future reference as it doesn't hurt for more knowledge and yes they will be fine, but sorry for not helping.

We are not talking about a desktop where you can switch out hardware . Laptops come with the hardware that is in them and you are stuck with video card and processor. Neither one of those laptops will bottleneck. It's not even a subject that should come up in this thread. The op is just trying to choose from two laptops

I’ve checked three different suppliers and the MSI website and it still says 1050 Ti 2GB so I dunno! Seems legit
    xgu3gOi.gif

I found one on newegg and it was the only one unless it was an error. I went even to NVidia site to look and found not one even mentioning 2 gb.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    edited September 2017
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

I found one on newegg and it was the only one unless it was an error. I went even to NVidia site to look and found not one even mentioning 2 gb.

Then they should get the one with the i5 if they only want to play Sims 4 because all 1050 Ti's are 4GB unless that is a custom one and not like you need 4GB for Sims anyways and I highly doubt even a mobile i5 is going to have much problems with The Sims 4. A bit smaller SSD but thats fine as Sims 4 is useless on an SSD, they could keep Documents on the SSD if Sims 4 is their only game but putting it on the HDD is a better choice. If they are going to play other games than the i7 laptop with a slightly larger SSD (not really a big deal, just a "bonus" I guess as its only 256GB and your entire library isnt going to go on that :D) and that has a GTX 1050 Ti too which has to be 4GB as I have never ever seen a 2GB GTX 1050 Ti. There is 2GB GTX 1050 and also a 4GB GTX 1050.

Post edited by cale2003 on
    PC Specs:
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    6685561181.png
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member

Then they should get the one with the i5 if they only want to play Sims 4 because all 1050 Ti's are 4GB unless that is a custom one and not like you need 4GB for Sims anyways and I highly doubt even a mobile i5 is going to have much problems with The Sims 4. A bit smaller SSD but thats fine as Sims 4 is useless on an SSD, they could keep Documents on the SSD if Sims 4 is their only game but putting it on the HDD is a better choice. If they are going to play other games than the i7 laptop with a slightly larger SSD (not really a big deal, just a "bonus" I guess as its only 256GB and your entire library isnt going to go on that :D) and that has a GTX 1050 Ti too which has to be 4GB as I have never ever seen a 2GB GTX 1050 Ti. There is 2GB GTX 1050 and also a 4GB GTX 1050.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-gtx-1050-1050ti-mobile,33291.html
    Both the 1050 and 1050ti mobile versions come in 2GB and 4GB.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

Thanks for that info.

Thats interesting. :D. The OP should get the i5 and 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD one as its cheaper, dont mind the extra VRAM as Sims will be fine on 2GB.
    PC Specs:
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    6685561181.png
    edited September 2017
    In regards to which laptop, One thing that might of been overlooked is the MSI's screen refresh rate is 120Hz and i'm going to say i doubt the sims 4 can push out 120fps on the 1050ti. So that might be a issue especially without Gsync.
    The i5 7300Hq is capable of playing the game fine on ultra, so you don't need to worry too much about that, However the Acer does have a small SSD.. but then again the sims 4 does not really benefit from the SSD.
    Both would be good, However i'm just not sure how well a 120Hz screen will do, if you cannot hold the 120fps then you may suffer from some stutter or choppiness.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

edited September 2017

Thats interesting. :D. The OP should get the i5 and 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD one as its cheaper, dont mind the extra VRAM as Sims will be fine on 2GB.

If it was for me I would agree and depending on the warranty I would check and see if upgrading HHD/SSD or memory will void the warranty being not all companies void warranties if upgrading memory or HHDs/SSDs. I hope the OP get his money worth with either choice he makes.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    edited September 2017
    In regards to which laptop, One thing that might of been overlooked is the MSI's screen refresh rate is 120Hz and i'm going to say i doubt the sims 4 can push out 120fps on the 1050ti. So that might be a issue especially without Gsync.
    The i5 7300Hq is capable of playing the game fine on ultra, so you don't need to worry too much about that, However the Acer does have a small SSD.. but then again the sims 4 does not really benefit from the SSD.
    Both would be good, However i'm just not sure how well a 120Hz screen will do, if you cannot hold the 120fps then you may suffer from some stutter or choppiness.

Judge for yourself, game has questionable optimization also and that dreaded Dx9 from 2002 :s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj3r4Nuz15I
    By the way if you dont want to watch building skip to 2:40 for live mode.
    EDIT: Go fullscreen or on the YT video on YT itself to actually see the frames counter.
    EDIT 2: Thats on a fairly barren lot if I say so myself :D The frames are all over the place going from 120 to 180 in seconds and back again also and I doubt anyone plays on a lot like that so its hard to judge
    PC Specs:
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    6685561181.png
    Yes i do not think it can pull 120fps constantly in game. and having a higher fps might also increase the laptop temperatures.. and that's also a con. I would probably go with the Acer Predator.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide