Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Changes to minimum requirements for Cats & Dogs expansion pack

Comments

• cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    cale2003 wrote: »
    With 4gb ram on laptop, will it run?

Even with good specs, no way. I used to play Sims 4 on 4GB of RAM and even before the 64 bit version and the increased reqs I could see myself running with 200-75mb of RAM to spare at times. Get at least 8GB of RAM if you even want to think about playing this game, or any game nowadays really (16gb is better for futureproofing as some games want 16gb now, but for Sims 4, 8gb should work just fine)

Base game, GTW, GT, CL, 4 stuff packs and 4 game packs run fine now. I suppose C&D is just too much.

I'm surprised it did because I even remember running out of RAM completely 2-3 times and when I played on game files for longer periods of time (more than 2 months or so IRL time) it would crash on saving and this was all before GTW. If you could tell us your other specs I can see if upgrading to 8GB of RAM would be worthwhile for you if you can do so.

I can't upgrade. It's a laptop.

You can usually upgrade the RAM in a laptop, I did it with my old laptop which originally had 4GB and it was only $500 Canadian. Although if your computer originally had 4GB of RAM, I doubt the rest of your specs would be high enough to be upgrading the RAM worthwhile anyways. What settings do you use?
    PC Specs:
    Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
    6685561181.png
    Rogers Ignite 70u internet
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,584 Member
    FloppyFish wrote: »
    Did the minimum requirements change for the Mac? Or is this just for PC? Will Cats and Dogs require higher specs than other DLC to the point where you will have to lower your settings on an iMac?

Hello @FloppyFish
    This is a link to the minimum system requirements on Mac for Cats and Dogs ep.
    https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/cats-and-dogs-faq#what-are-the-mac-minimum-system-requirements-for-the-sims-4-cats-dogs
    It would be best to post in the Mac section about how your Mac would be able to handle the new ep.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-on-mac-discussions
  • StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    Stormsview wrote: »
    Fact:
    Windows Vista and Windows XP cannot run the 64-bit version of The Sims 4.

The Sims 4 Cats & Dogs requires a 64-bit operating system to run smoothly.
    https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/the-sims-4-cats-and-dogs/

Can I run the 64-bit version on my computer?
    You can if you’re running 64-bit Windows and you have 4GB of RAM or more.

Not sure about that? Here’s how to check:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/when-to-use-the-sims-4-64-bit-or-32-bit-version/

On Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, right-click on My Computer and choose Properties. This brings up a window that shows info about your system, including your processor, RAM, and operating system.
    If you’re on Windows 10, you can search for This PC then right-click it in the search results.
    Check the System type line to see if it says your computer has a 64-bit or a 32-bit operating system.
    If it says 64-bit operating system, double check the amount of RAM listed.
    If you have 4GB or more RAM, you can run the 64-bit version of The Sims 4
    If it’s 32-bit, or if it’s 64-bit with less than 4GB of RAM, you should run the 32-bit version of The Sims 4.

MAC
    The Mac version of The Sims 4 has always been 64-bit. If your Mac meets the other system requirements, you don’t have to worry about this one.

Check the System type line to see if it says your computer has a 64-bit or a 32-bit operating system.
    Please go to the links and learn.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
    EA has two versions of Sims 4 one is 32-bit version other is a 64-bit version, some people are running the 32-bit version and are crashing a lot even now or other problems and they might be able to run the 64-bit version and it would run more smoothly
    If you go to the links it will teach you how and when you should download the 64-bit version or if you have to keep the 32-bit version. but no one can do that for you, you must go to the links to find out yourself.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/when-to-use-the-sims-4-64-bit-or-32-bit-version/
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Did the minimum requirements change for the Mac? Or is this just for PC? Will Cats and Dogs require higher specs than other DLC to the point where you will have to lower your settings on an iMac?

MAC
    The Mac version of The Sims 4 has always been 64-bit. If your Mac meets the other system requirements, you don’t have to worry about this one.
  • FloppyFishFloppyFish Posts: 3,881 Member
    rosemow wrote: »

Hello @FloppyFish
    This is a link to the minimum system requirements on Mac for Cats and Dogs ep.
    https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/cats-and-dogs-faq#what-are-the-mac-minimum-system-requirements-for-the-sims-4-cats-dogs
    It would be best to post in the Mac section about how your Mac would be able to handle the new ep.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-on-mac-discussions

Thankyou :)

MAC

Thanks. :)
    Mafia Stats
    Games Played: 14 | Games Won: 8 | Games Lost: 6
    Times Town: 9 | Times Mafia: 2 | Times 3rd: 2
    Town Wins: 6 | Mafia Wins: 1 | 3rd Wins: 1
    Deaths: 8

• CringecrewCringecrew Posts: 150 Member
    Yay! My computer can handle this!
    latest?cb=20060827184625

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited September 2017
    Ok I got it, it is right here: https://pastebin.com/HwY3Nua9

Your specs are slightly different than the link you posted why I needed to see your DxDiag however you do have an integrated processor/video card and only 4gb of ram. I'm afraid your specs would not be enough to run cats and dogs

Oh. That's disappointing. Thank you.

Is the integrated processor/video card the reason I need extra ram?

I would hate to see you try to upgrade your ram and then have your processor and video card still not be able to run this ep. The game requires a gaming computer. integrated video card processor may not be able to handle this ep . I would have advised you to upgrade the ram if the rest of your computer met requirements but your processor and video card don't meet requirements and those can't be upgraded. You are better off buying a new computer that meets recommended requirements to survive all the games add ons.

The game requires desktop not laptop. Laptop hardware is much weaker than desktop hardware unless you have a higher end gaming laptop
    Post edited by phoebebebe13 on
    edited September 2017

Even with good specs, no way. I used to play Sims 4 on 4GB of RAM and even before the 64 bit version and the increased reqs I could see myself running with 200-75mb of RAM to spare at times. Get at least 8GB of RAM if you even want to think about playing this game, or any game nowadays really (16gb is better for futureproofing as some games want 16gb now, but for Sims 4, 8gb should work just fine)

Base game, GTW, GT, CL, 4 stuff packs and 4 game packs run fine now. I suppose C&D is just too much.

I'm surprised it did because I even remember running out of RAM completely 2-3 times and when I played on game files for longer periods of time (more than 2 months or so IRL time) it would crash on saving and this was all before GTW. If you could tell us your other specs I can see if upgrading to 8GB of RAM would be worthwhile for you if you can do so.

I can't upgrade. It's a laptop.

You can usually upgrade the RAM in a laptop, I did it with my old laptop which originally had 4GB and it was only $500 Canadian. Although if your computer originally had 4GB of RAM, I doubt the rest of your specs would be high enough to be upgrading the RAM worthwhile anyways. What settings do you use?

Cale their video card and processor don't meet requirements. I would hate for someone to upgrade their ram and still find out they can't run the ep.
    edited October 2017
    Fact:

On Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, right-click on My Computer and choose Properties. This brings up a window that shows info about your system, including your processor, RAM, and operating system.
    If you’re on Windows 10, you can search for This PC then right-click it in the search results.
    If it’s 32-bit, or if it’s 64-bit with less than 4GB of RAM, you should run the 32-bit version of The Sims 4.

MAC

Please go to the links and learn.

[Edited: Removed]

integrated processor and video card share same computer ram along with the game, windows and other programs . THE GAME ALONE NEEDS 4GB RAM to run. You need extra ram to run windows, processor video card and other programs. YOU NEED A COMPUTER WITH 8GB RAM or more. The persons video card and processor also does not meet requirements. [Edited: Removed]

YOU PROCESSOR AND VIDEO CARD COUNT TOO NOT JUST RAM REQUIREMENTS . THIS GAME REQUIRES DESKTOP NOT LAPTOP. LAPTOP HARDWARE IS WEAKER THAN DESKTOP HARDWARE. YOU CAN NOT COMPARE LAPTOP TO DESKTOP HARDWARE UNLESS YOU HAVE A HIGHER END GAMING LAPTOP
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on

Yes you need to go talk to Bluebellflora in the mac section. You need 8gb computer ram a good processor and a dedicated video card
  • gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member

Your specs are slightly different than the link you posted why I needed to see your DxDiag however you do have an integrated processor/video card and only 4gb of ram. I'm afraid your specs would not be enough to run cats and dogs

I would hate to see you try to upgrade your ram and then have your processor and video card still not be able to run this ep. The game requires a gaming computer. integrated video card processor may not be able to handle this ep . I would have advised you to upgrade the ram if the rest of your computer met requirements but your processor and video card don't meet requirements and those can't be upgraded. You are better off buying a new computer that meets recommended requirements to survive all the games add ons.

The game requires desktop not laptop. Laptop hardware is much weaker than desktop hardware unless you have a higher end gaming laptop

Ok. Thanks for your help. It looks as if I'll be waiting a few years for this one then. Do you know if all the packs from here on out will have these requirements or just certain packs?

Ok. Thanks for your help. It looks as if I'll be waiting a few years for this one then. Do you know if all the packs from here on out will have these requirements or just certain packs?

Your welcome. Here is my suggestion. Since your laptop is under wait until the Cats and Dogs EP is released. This way we have a better idea of what is going on. You would need more ram on your laptop. You don't have enough ram to run the game , your processor, video card, windows, origin and other programs at the same time. I don't know how this ep will effect your video card and processor. EA is not telling us anything. I can only tell someone if their computer is below, in between or meets recommended requirements to run the game. Your below. I know from past experience that the sims 3 pets was brutal. It upped the requirements on both processor and video card. Many people could no longer run the game when pets got added. We suspect this new cats and dogs ep will do the same. I know if they add seasons that will no doubt up the requirements on processor and video card. We don't know what else EA is adding to this game. The more you add to the game. the more demanding the game becomes to your computer hardware. Some eps for the sims 3 are more demanding than others and I suspect this will happen with this game too. When people come in tech and ask for a new computer we always advise owning a computer that meets the recommended requirements so you can survive all the add ons as EA adds them.

edited October 2017

When a computer company puts out specs it's for the game only . Like ram . if it says you need 4gb ram its for the game only. They do not include the extra ram you need to run windows , your computer hardware and other things running on your computer at the same time

Post edited by EA_Lanna on
    edited September 2017
    https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/cats-and-dogs-faq
    What are the minimum PC system requirements for The Sims 4 Cats & Dogs?
    MINIMUM OS: 64 Bit Windows 7 (SP1), Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10

CPU: 1.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 Dual-Core 4000+ or equivalent (For computers using built-in graphics chipsets, the game requires 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.0 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-62 or equivalent)

RAM: At least 4 GB RAM

DISC DRIVE: DVD ROM drive required for installation only

HARD DRIVE: At least 3 GB of free space (14 GB if installing with The Sims 4) with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games

VIDEO: 128 MB of Video RAM and support for Pixel Shader 3.0. Supported Video Cards: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better, ATI Radeon X1300 or better, Intel GMA X4500 or better

DIRECTX: DirectX 9.0c compatible

SOUND CARD: DirectX 9.0c Compatible

INPUT: Keyboard and Mouse

post from @crinrict about this:
    http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2017/08/changes-to-minimum-requirements-for-cats-dogs-expansion-pack/

But note these are minimum, not recommended. As in, if your computer is below these and the pack won't work... you're on your own. It's not a level that's guaranteeing good performance.

Thank you for posting this. :)https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/cats-and-dogs-faq
    edited September 2017
    https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/cats-and-dogs-faq
    What are the minimum PC system requirements for The Sims 4 Cats & Dogs?
    MINIMUM OS: 64 Bit Windows 7 (SP1), Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10

CPU: 1.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 Dual-Core 4000+ or equivalent (For computers using built-in graphics chipsets, the game requires 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.0 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-62 or equivalent)

RAM: At least 4 GB RAM

DISC DRIVE: DVD ROM drive required for installation only

HARD DRIVE: At least 3 GB of free space (14 GB if installing with The Sims 4) with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games

VIDEO: 128 MB of Video RAM and support for Pixel Shader 3.0. Supported Video Cards: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better, ATI Radeon X1300 or better, Intel GMA X4500 or better

DIRECTX: DirectX 9.0c compatible

SOUND CARD: DirectX 9.0c Compatible

INPUT: Keyboard and Mouse

post from @crinrict about this:
    http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2017/08/changes-to-minimum-requirements-for-cats-dogs-expansion-pack/

But note these are minimum, not recommended. As in, if your computer is below these and the pack won't work... you're on your own. It's not a level that's guaranteeing good performance.

Thank you for posting this. :)https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/cats-and-dogs-faq

Yep if your below minimum. The person you told that could run the cats and dogs EP is below the minimum requirements to run the game . They dont have enough ram to run the game while running windows origin and other programs at the same time. Their video card and processor also don't meet the minimum requirements. The game requires desktop not laptop. Again I repeat you can not compare laptop hardware to desktop hardware. Laptop hardware is much weaker than desktop hardware. The minimum requirements Ea lists , they don't make that hardware anymore. You need to know how to compare new hardware with hardware they don't make anymore. The minimum requirements are for base game only with no add ons to the game

Also if your below recommended requirements you may have trouble running this new ep. There is a reason EA puts out the recommended requirements to insure you survive the game and all it's add ons
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Hi @Stormsview - Just as a head's up, in the Technical forums, we have seen plenty of people with technically above minimum spec laptops end up with dead computers in Sims 4, from game launch on. While undoubtedly there are people who haven't ended up with dead computers, that doesn't undo the fact that there are many people who have, and many, many others with terrible game performance. And that's an expensive problem to end up with! I would never, given that experience, actually advise anyone that they will be fine playing at or not far above minimum specs for this game. There is a history of people not being fine that way, no matter what technical specs are meant to be possible. It would be irresponsible on my part, and not at my expense either. My advice could end up costing someone a lot of money, someone who for all I know can't just throw money around. When that happens, morally, as far as I'm concerned, I am at fault.

When people ask me if they'll be fine but show me low specs, I will tell them that while technically they're above specs, there is a history of people on low specs having hardware failure and serious game problems and that they should be prepared that that could be them. If someone is below minimum, I will tell them so and that they are serious risk of having to replace a laptop. I would strongly advise that you not tell people they'll be fine when there's plenty in similar situations who have not been. Please consider this advice seriously. It comes from having read the tech forum on here for the last 3 years.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    Not sure about all this misinformation. The game can run fine on a laptop if it's a newer/gaming laptop purchased in the last couple of years.
    Pegasys wrote: »
    Not sure about all this misinformation. The game can run fine on a laptop if it's a newer/gaming laptop purchased in the last couple of years.

I don't know your specs. If you have a gaming laptop that equals the requirements for desktop you should be fine
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited September 2017

Yep. Nobody's saying it can't! Especially on gaming laptops. But at or near the minimum specs on a laptop can be problematic, even with newer laptops (non-gaming). Many newer nongaming laptops have terrific fast CPUs but have graphics cards at or even below minimum specs and just 4 GB RAM, not leaving much to push the game's heavy graphics processing over onto. (My daughter hit issues with a new-this-summer nongaming laptop of this sort on a lower-spec-than-Sims 4 game.) I wouldn't recommend playing the game on those; the balance between a fast CPU and a very little graphics card processing could particularly be problematic. We also have seen that players with 64-bit systems but just 4 GB RAM often have had performance issues until they switch the game to the 32-bit version (I can't recall the specs on these systems, but I suspect they aren't gaming laptops). This pack requires 64-bit, so that could pose some issues for players at its minimum 4 GB RAM on a laptop. I do suspect that people playing at or just above the new EP's minimum specs on a laptop may run into issues they didn't before this EP, similarly to how people playing at or above minimum spec on laptops have run into issues with the base game. Doesn't mean they all will, of course! That's never the case.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    edited September 2017

Yep. Nobody's saying it can't! Especially on gaming laptops. But at or near the minimum specs on a laptop can be problematic, even with newer laptops (non-gaming). Many newer nongaming laptops have terrific fast CPUs but have graphics cards at or even below minimum specs and just 4 GB RAM, not leaving much to push the game's heavy graphics processing over onto. (My daughter hit issues with a new-this-summer nongaming laptop of this sort on a lower-spec-than-Sims 4 game.) I wouldn't recommend playing the game on those; the balance between a fast CPU and a very little graphics card processing could particularly be problematic. We also have seen that players with 64-bit systems but just 4 GB RAM often have had performance issues until they switch the game to the 32-bit version (I can't recall the specs on these systems, but I suspect they aren't gaming laptops). This pack requires 64-bit, so that could pose some issues for players at its minimum 4 GB RAM on a laptop. I do suspect that people playing at or just above the new EP's minimum specs on a laptop may run into issues they didn't before this EP, similarly to how people playing at or above minimum spec on laptops have run into issues with the base game. Doesn't mean they all will, of course! That's never the case.

Just to add Even those with integrated GPU/CPU with 8gb ram have issues running the 64 bit version and have to run the 32 bit version of the game. This way they can cap the game at using 3.5 gb ram and have 4.5 gb ram for the rest of their computer to use. Being that EA upped the ram to 4gb this means you have to be able to play the 64 bit version of the game. I do wonder if EA will eliminate the 32 bit version for PC. Mac does not have a 32 bit version . If they get rid of the 32 bit version of this game allot more people may have issues running the game as we move forward
    edited September 2017
    I helped out here, AHQ EA site http://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/bd-p/The-Sims-4-Bugs When I first got to this forum. It's how I got my points. :):) I just rather not. I have worked tech for years in the largest online world. If I wanted to I can do it again Pay was great. :p:) also if I wanted to I can go and work at AHQ EA Again :) I am a member. Ok I will sometimes. just for you. because I like your cat picture. when I have time only ok. :)
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    tobumon wrote: »
    Really? I thought they stopped making 32-bit 'anything' ages ago, especially now that more and more games are going 64-bit only. My mistake then.

Not yet but moving forward the requirements will be changed, more and more developers are now working in 64 bit.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    tobumon wrote: »
    Really? I thought they stopped making 32-bit 'anything' ages ago, especially now that more and more games are going 64-bit only. My mistake then.

Not yet but moving forward the requirements will be changed, more and more developers are now working in 64 bit.

I dont even know why 32-bit games are still a thing in todays age, because if their PC is 32 bit I doubt they can run most new games anyways 32 bit or not.
    PC Specs:
    Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
    6685561181.png
    Rogers Ignite 70u internet