Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Store?

Hi Simmers!

Something really cool about the Sims 3 was that you could buy worlds and objects and clothes from The Sims 3 store for example Dragon Valley or Roaring Heights or even just a diaper changing table for babies,

Will anything similar come in the Sims 4?
Would the Creators do this?

Comments

• ElyssandarielElyssandariel Posts: 556 Member
    I think we have stuff packs, instead of the Sims 4 store, because not everyone was a fan of it.
    tumblr_inline_mw78cm2WhN1qajk9h.gif
    Thicker Than Thieves: A sim legacy story

• RexySimmerRexySimmer Posts: 171 Member
    I think we have stuff packs, instead of the Sims 4 store, because not everyone was a fan of it.
    But The Sims 3 had stuff packs too, surely it would be Game Packs?
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    RexySimmer wrote: »
    But The Sims 3 had stuff packs too, surely it would be Game Packs?

no gp change game play the store just had objects
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Well you also have to take into consideration that the TS3 store was complained about a lot since you had to buy points all the time just to get new items and many players were not too happy about that so they ended up replacing it with SPs instead which I agree with @Yoko2112 that it has become a much better deal than spending 20 bucks a pop just for points to buy a world or an object.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited September 2017

It's very sad because we won't get as much various themes and content as TS3 Store.
  • samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    The store was useful in some ways as it had a lot of things on there and you could often pick and choose what you wanted but it was really overpriced. I would much rather they just carry on with what they are doing now than bring back the store.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    Hi Simmers!

Something really cool about the Sims 3 was that you could buy worlds and objects and clothes from The Sims 3 store for example Dragon Valley or Roaring Heights or even just a diaper changing table for babies,

Game and Stuffpacks are the TS4 Store. No World Packs will be coming unless they add another team of developers just for that.
  • Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited September 2017
    Hi Simmers!

Game and Stuffpacks are the TS4 Store. No World Packs will be coming unless they add another team of developers just for that.

What I'd pay for them to do that :cry: . It's too painful debating of weather to get a pack based solely on a world/neighborhood sometimes. At least in TS3 if I didn't exactly like an expansion, but it had a world, I'd be like "Eh I'll wait for a new store world" or "I'll check out some Custom made worlds." and would skip the EP untill the series completion. Just the "option" of something like that would be great imo.

I seriously pray that they do world packs or something similar someday. Like seriously, name the freaking price :lol: .
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
    Hopefully we 'll get another free world thru an update.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I would pay good money for a fantasy inspired world!
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    The biggest complaint I'm hearing from the store is the prices now if they could sell content at a reasonable price I think it would be great. I for one would love to see someone new come in and design clothing for the store who's style is not so flamboyant just more normal every day clothing you actually see people wear. With a store I can actually get new styles of male hair and not get 1 or 2 if lucky every couple months and if I hate it oh well wait another month or two but instead be able to pick what I want. Its all about choice no one had a gun to anyone head forcing them to buy from the store.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    edited September 2017
    I dont think there will ever be a store for the sims 4. I would have thought if there going to be a store it would have come out a few years ago not too long after the BG launched. Personally i am glad there isnt a store for the sims 4. With the sims 3 i could only ever afford the eps/stuff packs. I couldn't afford to get the packs and the store content.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Microtransactions are one of the most anti-customer things invented in recent history. They prey on peoples' tendency to view low-cost purchases as a good deal; then they give you tons of little purchases to make and give you room to forget how it's quickly adding up. Next thing you know, you've spent $40 and you think you won because you got good deals. Even though, without so many of those tiny little parsed-out purchases, you'd never have spent the $40 in the first place.

The day this series goes back to microtransactions is the day I leave and don't look back. They're bad enough in online games. We don't need them in single-player too.

Oh and with regards to the concept of a microtransaction store that is customer-friendly; there's no such thing. Microtransactions systems are inherently bad for the customer on the scale of a for-profit company because they want your money and the type of system will change how they market and create, which, along with profit being the bottom line, means they will lean toward the more predatory possibilities of a microtransaction system.

The only way to make it mildly customer-friendly would be to put super strict limits on purchasing and make it incredibly clear the rate at which someone is spending and caution them about how fast they're doing it. But then it'd just defeat the one arguable merit of a microtransaction store, which is the freedom of choice of what you spend your money on, on a micro level. This merit is mostly a load of nonsense in reality though, as microtransaction stores are always designed to push purchasing on the customer and incentivize them to spend as much as possible.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    I absolutely love that we don't have a store (or pre oder bonus/special edition for packs) anymore. That was awful. It had too much stuff, and it was way overpriced. With Stuff packs being cheaper it feels like you can have a complete collection, while to get everything in the store would cost you an arm and a leg.
    Right now the game and stuffpacks are good enough for me plus the prices are much more affordable.
  • Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited September 2017
    For me, without the worlds or no way to customize/add them...to me it feels a bit off. I'm fine without the store...but eh I'd rather a balance of stuff and world packs. Giving more options instead of "buy this expansion pack for $40 even though everything in it doesn't interest you, but hey it's a world!!! :smiley: " It's not a stab at any of the expansions or the devs though. It's the fact that, part of me feels it would be a bit better if we had world pack options or something similar to that.

It's one of the reasons why a bunch of simmers buy every pack even when the theme or the 'meat' of a pack doesn't interest them one bit (Vampires is one big example, and I can imagine others like myself are doing the same with C&D). I'm all for free worlds, but I doubt they'll constantly add them like that. Probably one more. But I can't imagine yet another one beyond a second free world.

Again though that's just my two cents on it. :lol:
    Post edited by Dreamie209 on
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Dreamie209 wrote: »
    For me, without the worlds or no way to customize/add them...to me it feels a bit off. I'm fine without the store...but eh I'd rather a balance of stuff and world packs. Giving more options instead of "buy this expansion pack for $40 even though everything in it doesn't interest you, but hey it's a world!!! :smiley: " It's not a stab at any of the expansions or the devs though. It's the fact that, part of me feels it would be a bit better if we had world pack options or something similar to that.

It's one of the reasons why a bunch of simmers buy every pack even when the theme or the 'meat' of a pack doesn't interest them one bit (Vampires is one big example, and I can imagine others like myself are doing the same with C&D). I'm all for free worlds, but I doubt they'll constantly add them like that. Probably one more. But I can't imagine yet another one beyond a second free world.

Again though that's just my two cents on it. :lol:

I wouldn't mind world packs to be honest. Thats a good idea!
  • fidelis_x0fidelis_x0 Posts: 74 Member
    I noticed that there is a "purchased" filter when sorting to look for color and style. I'm not sure what that is about.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    @Triplis
    I don't think it's so much the micro-transactions store concept that is nefarious per se, but that as soon as you buy bundle (like SPs are in a way), you end up with things you wouldn't have bought if you had the choice per item., so of course, the price per item goes up in stores to balance all those items that are no longer bought. It's basically the same thing as buying a pack of a dozen tubes of glue at a discount price vs buying a single tube of glue.
    Neia wrote: »
    @Triplis
    I don't think it's so much the micro-transactions store concept that is nefarious per se, but that as soon as you buy bundle (like SPs are in a way), you end up with things you wouldn't have bought if you had the choice per item., so of course, the price per item goes up in stores to balance all those items that are no longer bought. It's basically the same thing as buying a pack of a dozen tubes of glue at a discount price vs buying a single tube of glue.
    That may be true, but I've never seen a microtransaction setup that isn't in some way taking advantage of people. As you say, they up the price because you aren't buying in bulk. But for that reason, they also have to make sure you buy in general, so they push things on a micro level, since they can't rely on a single marketing campaign for a bundle. Which ends up nefarious because they resort to intrusive and manipulative marketing, since the more mild marketing techniques aren't enough to get peoples' attention on the micro level that they want to meet their endlessly high profit goals. And that's just on the more mild level. Once you start getting into stores that have gamble boxes, any argument for the seller being well-intentioned goes right out the window.

If there was a microtransaction store run by a company who is satisfied with making enough profit to stay above the red and isn't tied up in the mentality of investors and "more, more, more," I could maybe see a scenario where it would be customer-friendly. But EA is clearly not that kind of company and though Maxis seems serious about not going too far with its players, the corporate business mentality that is so common in companies like EA will always leak through to a certain degree, since they're the publisher.
  • RexySimmerRexySimmer Posts: 171 Member
    @Triplis In my opinion, The Sims 3 Store provided people with the opportunity to select what they want in their game rather than buying a cluster of items some of which you like and some you find unnecessary, The system created by EA as you mentioned is not as malicious as many other corporate games companies as many people are able to navigate through the layout of the Store. It really is simply EA making a sale.

Packs for the Sims 4 really are just as misleading with a Stuff Pack costing a small amount but many buyers in the end spending far more money than they realised, Is it such a big deal to spend less money on less content In the Sims 3 Store It was possible to buy worlds many of which were far better than any in The Sims 3 Base Game and any of The Sims 4 DLCs, and these worlds had no attached gameplay like an expansion pack so surely it is as simple as spending less money for less content

Overall However, You made a valid point which I understand the jist of. :smile:
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    @Triplis In my opinion, The Sims 3 Store provided people with the opportunity to select what they want in their game rather than buying a cluster of items some of which you like and some you find unnecessary, The system created by EA as you mentioned is not as malicious as many other corporate games companies as many people are able to navigate through the layout of the Store. It really is simply EA making a sale.

Packs for the Sims 4 really are just as misleading with a Stuff Pack costing a small amount but many buyers in the end spending far more money than they realised, Is it such a big deal to spend less money on less content In the Sims 3 Store It was possible to buy worlds many of which were far better than any in The Sims 3 Base Game and any of The Sims 4 DLCs, and these worlds had no attached gameplay like an expansion pack so surely it is as simple as spending less money for less content

The fact that TS3 shows you this store content without you even opening it, is already pushy enough for me. No offence I love TS3 but @Triplis is right: these are pure and simple micro-transactions & it's a perfect opportunity to radically overprice single items (which yes, people are more likely to buy cause it feels like picking and choosing when sometimes, they'd be cheaper off to just buy the bundles only lol). This is most evident in them popping up in your b&b mode & cas, always reminding you of what else you could be using ... if you visit the store ;)

I'll admit I'm not greatly familiar with TS3's store system. So I can't really compare well on my own, but overall, I think SPs are done in a pretty customer-friendly way. I don't think $10 is cheap enough for most people for them to see it as a nothing purchase and go crazy buying. There's also a pretty hard limit on just how many SPs there are. There's, what, 12 now in total? Over 3 years? So that's an average of 4 a year, or another way to say it would be an average of one every 3 months. It's relatively frequent for DLC, but still doesn't really compare to the rate of production of stuff to blow your money on that many microtransaction stores do. The ones I've seen are usually more like a monthly release of new things.

And SPs, for all the flack they get, do get some of that desired benefit for the customer of a store, in that they are typically very targeted themes and you aren't missing much if you pass on a theme you don't want.

I have to wonder how much benefit you're really gaining on a "choosing what you want" level switching from a system like TS4's stuff packs to a micro store. It seems like the difference in picking and choosing would be pretty negligible.

As far as the worlds thing goes, it seems like the issue there is more about how content is getting made, what's getting made, how frequently... I know there have been a lot of complaints about TS4 being too slow, or not releasing enough of this or that type of content. I think it's a result of how they're doing things overall this time? They seem to have a very systematized way of doing things that requires some careful juggling (like what Graham has said about the multiple dev lines going at the same time).

So hypothetically, if TS4 had a store, I'm not sure you'd be getting the kind of stuff in it that you want. You'd probably just be getting worse deals overall for the same kind of content, more or less. I mean, I spose one could argue that if it had started as a store, the way content is made might have been different. But would it be better is anyone's guess. We've gotten some really nice free patch content, some of which might otherwise be micro purchases in a store model.
  • FaybelFaybel Posts: 53 Member
    I really hated the Sims 3 store. It felt very redundant when compared to the masses of custom content you could get for free.
    I guess there's still a crap ton of free content for the Sims 4, but £8 for a SP still feels like an infinitely better purchase (and somehow less 'money grabbing') than paying per item, and at least you don't get weird previews in-game of all these items you need to pay extra money for.