Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Have you ever been shamed for playing TS?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Shamed? Lol. Not really. Do I know how some people look down on the sims games? Yeah sure. Thing is, it's a hobby. Like building lego castles, fixing cars, playing other games, collecting Star Wars figurines, going for walks, yoga, reading, boardgames, movies, whatever. There's always going to be someone kind enough to look down on your hobby for you, no matter what it is. I recently visited some friends and found out the guy builds gigantic Lego structures and owns tons and tons and tons of Lego pieces. I was darn impressed. Turns out, he sometimes locks the door to this Lego room when friends come over to avoid being ridiculed. That's just sad. Seriously: don't ever let people "shame" you. I don't think they can unless you let them. There's nothing inherently more useful in blowing up people in Battlefield, collecting and skilling up in a Metroidvania, going on quests in WoW, or building a gigantic Harry Potter house in Minecraft (which is, let's be real, just effin impressive). If we want to use a creative game to tell stories, explore different sides of life, have families, and challenge ourselves, then that's what we do. And as long as we have fun doing it, people taking the time out of their lives to ridicule it, are the ones who are actually shameful. Cause a hobby is a hobby for only one reason: fun. Who could possibly have a problem with that?
  • Options
    SoapSudsSoapSuds Posts: 1,359 Member
    I haven't been shamed. I was once asked what I personally do in the game by a friend. She didn't really think it was strange that I play it. It's just I guess I don't seem like the type of person to play the Sims much (a male in his mid-20s, possibly personality-wise too).

But no, I haven't been shamed for it. Most people do know that I play and haven't really said much about it. Nor do I talk about playing it much with people outside of these forums because I don't really feel the need to. That's why I started posting on these forums. I much prefer talking about it with others who actually play the game as well.
  • Options
    AvaSims4080AvaSims4080 Posts: 810 Member
    edited September 2017
    I'm in my teenage years, so it's not uncommon for my friends to be playing The Sims 4. I've been playing The Sims for years, I got many people into playing it in the first place. I can't say I've ever been shamed, but of course I've had the silly teasing here and there that means nothing. I guess if you enjoy something so much, it doesn't matter at all what others have to say!
  • Options
    estella_deeestella_dee Posts: 263 Member
    I have never been ashamed playing The Sims. Although I will admit, I found it surprising that a lot of MMO-RPG and even MOBA games I have been playing have a handful of simmers too. Well, the MMO-RPG I can probably understand. I was playing this game called The Elder Scrolls Online, and it was just recently that the game introduced their housing system, and it was refreshing to see how a lot of the people in that community was like: "What took housing this long?". And yes, most of them were male players. Even people who said didn't care about housing had a couple of well decorated houses.

Like I said personally, I have never been ashamed of being a simmer. It is one of the games I always mention when someone ask me what I play. If someone else thinks it's weird that I play the game, then it's their problem not mine. lol.

PS: I do agree the sims community is very different from other games. It's much more pleasant here. And I like it. I do not need the stress that other forums have. :D
  • Options
    xLunaSimsxxLunaSimsx Posts: 6,719 Member
    I haven't ever been shamed for it, but most of the people I tell either don't know what it is, have heard of it only, or just say it's not their type of thing. My niece got shamed for playing The Sims 2 before. She said it was her favorite of the four games and she got a lot of hate for it.
    MPy9H9S.gif
  • Options
    hanbamhanbam Posts: 51 Member
    Outside of my close group of friends I don't really mention that I play sims. I've never been shamed, but I can tell by the lack of interest that some friends are judging me but choosing not to say anything. I think the fact I also make YT videos makes them judge me even more.

A couple of weeks ago I met with some old friends from High School who I haven't spoken to in a long time, and when they asked what I'd been doing over the summer I said video games. I didn't expect them to ask any more than that, but when they did and I mentioned sims they all said they're 'binge' players who will go on every now and again and just end up killing sims in various ways. I felt too embarrassed to mention that I play more to design buildings and grow a family, because it seems like other people my age just played it as kids to mess around.
    Gallery: HanbamSims | Twitter: HanbamSims | Youtube: Hanbam
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited September 2017
    hanbam wrote: »
    Outside of my close group of friends I don't really mention that I play sims. I've never been shamed, but I can tell by the lack of interest that some friends are judging me but choosing not to say anything. I think the fact I also make YT videos makes them judge me even more.

A couple of weeks ago I met with some old friends from High School who I haven't spoken to in a long time, and when they asked what I'd been doing over the summer I said video games. I didn't expect them to ask any more than that, but when they did and I mentioned sims they all said they're 'binge' players who will go on every now and again and just end up killing sims in various ways. I felt too embarrassed to mention that I play more to design buildings and grow a family, because it seems like other people my age just played it as kids to mess around.

But why would you be ashamed of doing something as creative as building and designing stuff and as daring as making videos about it and putting yourself out there? And what brilliant hobbies are they pursuing? Again people are dumb lol. No but seriously, just be proud of who you are and what you like. I think it's cool you're making videos btw, more power to you :)
  • Options
    BethanyShoneBethanyShone Posts: 310 Member
    My mum has made a few comments like 'why are you still playing dress up games' but I try ignore it, to be fair she's only really seen CAS. Admittedly I rarely tell people I play Sims unless they ask/play it too.
  • Options
    hanbamhanbam Posts: 51 Member
    Thanks a lot @SimTrippy :smile:
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    But why would you be ashamed of doing something as creative as building and designing stuff and as daring as making videos about it and putting yourself out there?
    I think having been judged by closer friends has made me more wary of talking to people about it who I don't know as well any more.
    Gallery: HanbamSims | Twitter: HanbamSims | Youtube: Hanbam
  • Options
    yodamiiyodamii Posts: 106 Member
    Heck yes. I am a young female trying to make a career for myself in STEM, and am constantly surrounded by very logical, bright, and intellectual people. In that environment, though many of them are kind and intelligent, admitting to playing a game (*gasp* what a waste of time) as creative as TS, and especially one that is perceived as one for teenage girls, is sort of like social suicide. At least until you've immediately explained yourself and made your best case for it. Though not all of them are like that, and I admit this attitude is in part due to it being a scholarly environment where the focus should be (and rightfully so) on scientific advancement. However, many of those in my other social circles react similarly, though for other reasons.

I personally play it because I love creating characters and storylines (and I mean they're in my head all the time) and Sims allows me to sort of 'play it out'. I can actually create them and see how they look, and add to their stories and background by creating houses, families, social networks, and even neighbourhoods/eras for them to exist in!

I think it's a much more beneficial and enriching past time than say, netflix.
  • Options
    yodamiiyodamii Posts: 106 Member
    Oh! I've just recalled a relevant memory! :D It was back when I have just been into the Sims for a few months (TS3), and it was summer back in my hometown. I was spending time in my aunt's garden with my brother, my cousin (male) and my cousin's cousins (girl and boy). We were all ages 14-16. At some point our conversation turned to games and I was asked what games I played, to which I answered truthfully that I played Minecraft, Assassin's Creed and The Sims.

My brother didn't comment anything since he knows how much I play and though he thinks it a bit lame he doesn't really care, but my cousin exclaimed "What!!" *loud laughter* "The Sims are so lame, they're for little girls, hahaha". I was just about to go all out on him when his cousin, the boy, went "No it isn't! Sims is pretty cool, I play it"

:) It took guts for a teenage boy to own up to playing Sims in front of two other boys his age, I respected that a lot. And after he did, my cousin was visibly shocked by the revelation that sims 'could be cool', I think the idea was pretty knew to him haha.

(Also, though I was a teenage girl at the time, I don't think TS are marketed to teenage girls as much, and even if so, even teenage girls shouldn't be bullied for playing it. TS is an awesome, enriching and creative game, which is why people play it)
  • Options
    MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    Whilst I'm not ashamed per se, I am not direct about my interest in The Sims. I make little references here and there, but unless you express interest about the franchise, I won't talk about it.
  • Options
    CringecrewCringecrew Posts: 150 Member
    I was never ashamed. Well, to be honest, I was ashamed when I was 6 and I was playing Sims 2 and I was clueless to think what the try for baby interaction would do and I got so traumatised and my mum also caught me.
    But I'm never ashamed when playing TS. My friend and I always talk about Sims and since I'm always up to date with the Sims News I tell her the news. She got so happy when I told her cats and dogs is coming out November 10th.
    latest?cb=20060827184625

• Options
    Yukari482Yukari482 Posts: 34 Member
    I've had people make fun of me for playing the sims, and just making fun of the game itself. But I would never be ashamed for loving this game series. I grew up with this game, it's apart of me just like any other "regular" video game. Now that i'm well in my 20's, I found some friends who share a mutual love for the sims. It's great! :)
  • Options
    DoctorMeow23DoctorMeow23 Posts: 26 Member
    My whole family shames me for playing it. They don’t see that it helps my anxiety and depression like any other video game can. I don’t know why they shame me about it, I’ve been playing it since I was in middle school (I’m in college now).