Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Living in an apartment is 100% aggravating

filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
I've had The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection for a while now and I recently decided to try out the Apartment Life aspect of the game, boy I don't think I am ever going to move into an apartment in the Sims 2 ever again. There's always that one radio on the rooftop that someone always turns on to hustle and never turns it off, and because it's the Sims 2 you can hear the radio no matter what floor selected or how far from the radio you are, I have to get my sim to bang on the wall basically every day because my next door neighbour is obnoxious, there's a weird glitch where if I invite a sim over to my place over the phone, when the sim I invited arrives, my sim dismisses them saying "I don't feel like hanging out" even though they are in a perfectly good mood and THEY are the ones who invited them over, just wow, I knew it was going to be a bit of a different/challenging experience compared to living on a normal lot, but I did not expect it to be so annoying! I'm all for challenge and realism, but once it gets annoying is when it becomes less enjoyable for me.

Maybe it's because I live in one of the cheaper apartments? Is the living experience different depending on how nice of an apartment you live in? I may just have to play around with it a bit more, perhaps I can get my sim to become a witch, an evil witch! So he can set his neighbours on fire! YES! OK I now see the full potential of this EP.

Comments

• JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    It is better to go through the apartments and change anything that may bother you during play such as a radio on the rooftop. You can even add stuff in.

Cheat code changeLotZoning residential , make the alterations you want. **Note this should only be done on a empty never occupied lot.

When finished cheat code changeLotZoning apartmentbase to change it back.

The hanging out thing is odd, I don't think I ever saw that. At least not that I can remember.

The cost of the apartment determines which social townies move in. (They are different from regular townies) Low class apartments will be occupied by gearheads and bohemians, Middle class apartments will be occupied by bohemians, jocks, and techs; and High class apartments will be occupied by techs and socialites. Each group have their own behavior.

LOL :D You might be able to set a specific sim on fire (not sure) , but witches cannot start fires in the apartments themselves.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    It is better to go through the apartments and change anything that may bother you during play such as a radio on the rooftop. You can even add stuff in.

Cheat code changeLotZoning residential , make the alterations you want. **Note this should only be done on a empty never occupied lot.

The hanging out thing is odd, I don't think I ever saw that. At least not that I can remember.

The cost of the apartment determines which social townies move in. (They are different from regular townies) Low class apartments will be occupied by gearheads and bohemians, Middle class apartments will be occupied by bohemians, jocks, and techs; and High class apartments will be occupied by techs and socialites. Each group have their own behavior.

LOL :D You might be able to set a specific sim on fire (not sure) , but witches cannot start fires in the apartments themselves.

Thanks for this advice! I will definitely put it to good use.
  • Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    When building your own apartments, always put the bedrooms either away from adjoining walls or adjoining other bedrooms and bathrooms. I tend to build my own so I can get smaller numbers of apartments and therefore less lag and potential annoyance due to having fewer townie neighbors. Community areas should always be easy to access, so... not on the roof. :)

I sympathize with the radio issue though, even though I've always played with sound off, as I used to live in a dorm where SOMEONE refused to turn their alarm off when they left for class and it would play bad radio forever in the mornings. Also those people who thought it was acceptable to bring their ipod speakers in to the bathroom and blast crummy country music when they were having a shower at midnight, because they couldn't last five minutes without their tunes. ;)
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • swillflyswillfly Posts: 54 Member
    Sims living in a sims apartment is aggravating.. 5 adults, 6 children, and a dog living in a small 2bedroom flat IRL makes any in-game apt frustration seem.. spacious, and calm.
    Would you like some breakfast?
    swillfly wrote: »
    Sims living in a sims apartment is aggravating.. 5 adults, 6 children, and a dog living in a small 2bedroom flat IRL makes any in-game apt frustration seem.. spacious, and calm.

I'm guessing you have some too close to home experience with that comment.
    lol - You don't know (or wanna know) the half of it. It was *interesting*.
    swillfly wrote: »
    lol - You don't know (or wanna know) the half of it. It was *interesting*.

I can only imagine
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Someone made a good point about building the apartments in a particular way. If you don't put the bedrooms next to the other Sim's liv. room etc. you won't have to beat on the walls. It's not like TS4's apartments. It actually realizes your bedroom isn't up against a wall that might hold a stereo in the apartment next door. TS4 system is just random and no matter if they are at another end of a long hallway they would wake up your Sims. TS2 system actually recoginizes rooms. (A tech term for knowing the boundaries)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    The joy of crowded tenements.. Banging on walls is fun -it's kinda like a stress-relief ball. There's always someone who's too loud up/down/beside your own apartment. Better than the unique/odd smells emanating from neighbors' places, enveloping the common corridor IRL. Makes the aroma of pureed boot seem desirable.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    If you have chosen an apartment block with a low lot class then your neighbours will be more noisy. Never had the issue with the stereo on the roof? But as been said you can remove the stereo or any other thing that causes issues.
    If you have chosen an apartment block with a low lot class then your neighbours will be more noisy. Never had the issue with the stereo on the roof? But as been said you can remove the stereo or any other thing that causes issues.

Thanks for that info, I had forgotten all about the ratings on apartments.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ArilyBooArilyBoo Posts: 346 Member
    edited September 2017
    I read before when you bang on the wall it's only a temporary fix. It's best to have a good relationship with your neighbors (higher relationship makes them more considerate and less chance of making noise) and any empty wall space put something in front of it to buffer the sound...like a wall painting =)
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    My biggest hassle with apartments (TS2 ones) is the rent. Had one poor soul paying over 2/3 of his paycheck (maxis made set up). Did some quick math, moved the guy out, put into empty lot, a couple of 'motherlode' shots to finance the house, and now he's got more room, lower bills, and a rising bank account.

The wildest apartment try was in the place where the Cleveland's and La Shawn Cameron live. Moved a young couple into a vacant unit, and all of a sudden La Shawn started cloning herself after getting home from work. In less than 5 real time minutes there were close to 40 of her, and still going! Got my sims out of there in a hurry. Odd thing was that when playing Cleveland's that did not happen, only with new renters.
    MTS has a mod for this.
    Presumably a cure. May not have that neighborhood any longer. That particular installation was having lots of problems which I found out on the forum here are signs of file corruption. Did a cleaning out and fresh start. One of the neighborhoods had dogs walking on hind legs and throwing water baloons at unsuspecting human sims.
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Presumably a cure. May not have that neighborhood any longer. That particular installation was having lots of problems which I found out on the forum here are signs of file corruption. Did a cleaning out and fresh start. One of the neighborhoods had dogs walking on hind legs and throwing water baloons at unsuspecting human sims.

:D:D:D:D LOL that had to be hysterical!

As long as it wasn't one of my sims, yes. Another oddity I get, even with UC, is that if sims move out of a residence and bring a baby with them, when going into a new residence that already has someone living there the baby will be floating. It falls to the ground once pause is lifted. Makes for a very funny screen shot.
    @Oldesadogge, I have to ask does your pc meet the requirements for all the EPs installed? Not just the old base, but all the EPs because it's starting to sound like it doesn't or you have some very bad cc conflicting with all the later EPs.
    Current machine, a high end Dell with graphics to match, about 6 months old. Computer version of a big-block V8. The Sims2 on it is UC, no CC or mods. The oddities mentioned lately are from an older installation on an XP machine. Said installation cleaned up, re-hooded, and currently running fine. Back when all that started I was freely swapping families from one neighborhood to another, sometimes some from other long gone machines. Learned a little while ago on the forums here that is a sure way to get neighborhoods corrupted, hence the clean up. Thank you for your concern.
  • WarGreymon77WarGreymon77 Posts: 127 Member
    The radio thing reminds me of how I had to sell the arcade game on the dorm lots in University. It was extremely popular among Sims and I got so sick of hearing the sounds all the time. Oddly, they never turn on the boom box, though.
  • ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    JULES1111 wrote: »

Thanks for this advice! I will definitely put it to good use.

And yes, it's also the design of the place. During the Sims 2 era, there was more thought put into how to make the lots act certain ways with certain objects! You'll notice that cheaper apartments have bedrooms wall to wall from another, creating that "waking up in the middle of the night because of the music" thing too much.