Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lightening striking tombstone

ArilyBooArilyBoo Posts: 346 Member
So in all my years playing I've never seen this happen in my game before, however with this one family I'm playing it's happening frequently. I finally was able to pause the game and snap some photos. Right after the lightening strikes the ghost comes out instantly to haunt day or night, and they seem pretty upset too!

Screen_Shot_09-20-17_at_06.37_PM.png
Screen_Shot_09-20-17_at_06.38_PM.png
Screen_Shot_09-20-17_at_06.37_PM_001.png

Comments

• Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Whoe you seen that happen more then once? I don't believe I have ever seen that. I would bet they are upset! I would be "plummed" off if something get interrupting my eternal sleep! :D
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I see it about 10 times before I was able to finally pause the game perfectly to take a picture lol.
    I have the weather machine set on eternal Summer and it seems to always happen when it's raining. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it, because like you I have never seen this before happen in my game.

EDIT: Another thing I forgot, I don't have any trees or anything else for the lightening to strike. Maybe that has something to do with it.
    Post edited by ArilyBoo on
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Awesome! >:) The weather machine is not your friend, lol, it's so you can play around with extreme weather. Those summer showers are dangerous. :D But yes, maybe if it wasn't as flat as a pancake out there in the desert it might strike a Sim or a tree, something a little taller. :)

I would love to trouble my ghosts because angry ghost are the worst to keep Sims up all night. :)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    ArilyBoo wrote: »
    I see it about 10 times before I was able to finally pause the game perfectly to take a picture lol.
    I have the weather machine set on eternal Summer and it seems to always happen when it's raining. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it, because like you I have never seen this before happen in my game.

EDIT: Another thing I forgot, I don't have any trees or anything else for the lightening to strike. Maybe that has something to do with it.

It definitely does - lightning picks targets from, iirc, trees and sims only. (A tombstone is technically a game object that contains the files that were once attached to a sim, and therefore manifests the sim ghost, much like a baby is a game object that contains all the files that will be a sim... hence why neither is safe to delete.) With that many tombstones and no trees, you're gonna get a lot of ticked off ghosts! ;)
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • Options
    swillflyswillfly Posts: 54 Member
    Lightning strike didn't split the headstone? Did the ozone go nuts and cause nearby sims' hair to spike up?
    Would you like some breakfast?
  • Options
    Dang ya that weather machine is dangerous. :D Ya summer time is the biggest time of the year for thunderstorms, I imagine eternal summer will cause a lot more storms. Question though, why not just set all the seasons to summer instead of using the machine? But ya I would plop down a few trees!
  • Options
    O
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    Dang ya that weather machine is dangerous. :D Ya summer time is the biggest time of the year for thunderstorms, I imagine eternal summer will cause a lot more storms. Question though, why not just set all the seasons to summer instead of using the machine? But ya I would plop down a few trees!

Or the lightning rod. Basically it attracts lightning strikes. One vanilla rod shouldn't totally eliminate gravestone striking, but it will reduce it greatly. (There's also a mod out there by Cyjon that makes each one attract about 50% of strikes. I use it a lot because my sims were basically living outside for a while...)
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    @Scribal_Goddess Where is the lightning rod? Is that the weird looking object in decor that the garden club loves?

@JULES1111 I do it because I don't want every playable household in that neighborhood to have the same exact weather. =D
  • Options
    @Scribal_Goddess Where is the lightning rod? Is that the weird looking object in decor that the garden club loves?

@JULES1111 I do it because I don't want every playable household in that neighborhood to have the same exact weather. =D

Ahh I see. That makes sense then! :D
  • Options

It's under deco-misc and it looks like it should be a windmill. It's called something like a lightning finial, lol.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    How'd you get those fancy tombstones? The ones in my game are just the company's slabs of rock.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    How'd you get those fancy tombstones? The ones in my game are just the company's slabs of rock.

They die in Platinum Aspiration. :)
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    OK, that makes sense. My sims don't stay platinum long enough to get anything, alive or dead. Did have a sim beat the Grim Reaper in his challenge and get her mate back, though.
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    OK, that makes sense. My sims don't stay platinum long enough to get anything, alive or dead. Did have a sim beat the Grim Reaper in his challenge and get her mate back, though.

Have Sims die of old age while in platinum aspiration.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    @Seera1024 wrote: »

Have Sims die of old age while in platinum aspiration.

Thanks. I always forget to add that- Old Age thing. My Sims usually only die that way. :blush:
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

I have so much stuff in my files it's easier for me to find particular things if I open the collection folder for Seasons then it should be in there. Later, starting with Seasons, they didn't put everything in the different categories. Like the new mirror in AL is not in the mirror section, the only way I could ever find it was to open up the collection folder. They did this horrible thing to the last three or four EPs.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    I do not have that problem @Cinebar , Everything in the Apartment Life collection for me is also in the appropriate tabs. The medicine cabinet however is in Decor/Miscellaneous, I'm guessing it's because it's functional.